Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by meowfurion View Post
    It's a good game, but my biggest issue with it is returning to it is a legit chore. Picking up where you left off is a GIGANTIC undertaking. Terrible "quest log." Terrible UI in general. It needs improvement. Want to try out the new 'classes' they introduce in an expansion? good luck. It's an enormous chore. I wanted to try a Druid class, but being able to do that was a real mess. It was a mess because i quit GW2 for a while and tried to go back to it. They do not make it easy to get back into.
    While not terribly eloquent, I agree with your points here. Specifically as a returning player wanting to try the new specs, gating them behind mastery grind was a huge mistake imo.

OT: gw2 will be around for a long time. As another poster mentioned you can still log into gw1 to this day, and there are people around to play with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    While not terribly eloquent, I agree with your points here. Specifically as a returning player wanting to try the new specs, gating them behind mastery grind was a huge mistake imo.

OT: gw2 will be around for a long time. As another poster mentioned you can still log into gw1 to this day, and there are people around to play with.
    I wrote it on 4 hours of sleep and no coffee. Eloquence was not especially at the forefront of my thought process at the time. Yes, gating the new classes behind mastery grind was an awful idea, especially after spending the money to get them in the first place. Has Path of Fire done the same?
    If we could all sit and talk without demonizing one another and attempt to understand the opposite point of view, the collective world would be a better place. Mental bigotry is the worst of all.

The new specs aren't gated behind a mastery grind. You need to own the expansion the spec is from, have a level 80 character of the profession you want to do the spec for, and get enough hero points to unlock them. These hero points can be obtained from the core world, HoT maps, or PoF maps it doesn't matter where you get them from. For certain HP yea you might need to have a specific mastery unlocked, but there's enough options out there that you don't have to do all of them, or even most of them to get an elite spec unlocked.

Yeah, as an example before PoF released, I ran around on my chosen alts to get them to the 250 HP, so as soon as the expac opened, they had the new elites.

HoT had the issue with requiring 350, I think, at launch. You basically needed world completion to get it at launch.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Quote Originally Posted by meowfurion View Post
    I wrote it on 4 hours of sleep and no coffee. Eloquence was not especially at the forefront of my thought process at the time. Yes, gating the new classes behind mastery grind was an awful idea, especially after spending the money to get them in the first place. Has Path of Fire done the same?
    Mastery is just a problem in HoT, but you still have to grind out hundreds of hero points for every class' elite spec. For veterans, as you see posting above me, this wasn't an issue, but new or returning players? Ugh, it's aweful (unless you really like grinding things, I guess, which many people do).
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

10+ Year Old Account
    I disagree with the notion of working towards your elite specializations being a grind. A grind is something repetetive, like running the same dungeon countless times. Obtanining mastery / hero points / hero points "locked" behind mastery are almost exactly the opposite: unique locations you have to visit only once, which im most cases can be done by just playing the map. It is something meaningful to do at max level that perfectly fits the GWII playstyle, similiar to collections. Something you can steadily work towards without doing the same thing over and over again.

In almost no MMO new classes/speccs are directly accessible at expansion launch. There is always some leveling involved, that is, actually playing the content offered by the expansion and not just unlocking everything one moment and complaining the next, that there is no content.
    Intel i5 2500k @ 4.3 GHz | Asus P8P67 Deluxe | Corsair XMS3 PC-12800 8gb | MSI Radeon R7850 Twin Frozr III x2 Crossfire | Crucial M4 128gb | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500gb | BeQuiet! Straight Power E9 580W modular | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 evo | Fractal Design Arc Midi

FF XIV and GW2 are very, very different games.

As for whether GW2 will be around for a long time - probably. Guild Wars 1 is still running and its been around since 2005 or so. GW2 if it does die off, will likely have its servers merged and work will be done to make the servers run more cost friendly than they currently do, then it will be in maintenance mode (like GW1 is now) until for whatever reason, probably the player base reaching less than a few thousand, it shuts down.

But that won't be for a long time.

- - - Updated - - -

Mastery is just a problem in HoT, but you still have to grind out hundreds of hero points for every class' elite spec. For veterans, as you see posting above me, this wasn't an issue, but new or returning players? Ugh, it's aweful (unless you really like grinding things, I guess, which many people do).
    The vast majority of GW2s playerbase doesn't raid or do rated pvp or high fractals. They play the game the way most gamers play all games these days; the accumulation of stuff - Achievement points, Gold, Cosmetics and in this case, hero points and mastery.

Theres a reason mobile games are the biggest market in gaming and theres a reason all of them are entirely based on the accumulation of stuff.

Its the extremely tiny minority that actually doesn't like doing this kind of stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Lighthope View Post
    Guild Wars 2 has a hard row to hoe being Buy to Play. Their financials make me wonder if it will still be around, putting out new content in a few years.
    They're going just fine, constantly putting new stuff in the gem store. Also a story episode every now and then. And even in content already out, there is a lot to do.

I terms of GW2, I would actually point out there there has been no gear progression, outside new stats/stat combinations for the past 4 years. Ascended is the last gear tier, where Legendary is always the same tier as Ascended. Even though the grind is long to be fully ascended and with the right stats for one's playstyle, I still find it weird that there no upgrades after that, and that there won't be any either.

FFXIV, on the other hand, is quite preplanned. Every 4th month ish there is a new major patch, alternating between Full party raid (8man) and Alliance raid (24man) each patch, the former being where the hardcore community is, while the Alliance raid is more of a catch up/gear upgrade for the casual base. Always alternates a X.0, X.2, X.4 with the 8mans and X.1, X.3, X.5 for the other. Each patch has some story though, which has to be completed before next expansion.

Craftingwise, FFXIV is abit more intricate, with seperate gearsets for gathering and crafting, they are level based, just like the combat classes. The crafting "endgame" is also predictable, as it will most likely follow the same path as Heavensward, which was the previous expansion (It has followed that one more or less on point right now, and we are at 4.2).
    GW2 on this matter is alot more straight forward, still a good system, and gives exp to the profession/class you are playing.

As people has mentioned before, FFXIV is slower, the baseline GCD is 2.5 seconds, with a few abilities being shorter than that. Takes abit to get used to, and on top, the server checks are abit wonky at times. Gameplay is alot more methodical with their raids, as random targets are not common. They do have a free trial that lets you level any class up to 35 (which is also a benefit, you only need to play one character more or less, since you can swap between all the classes)

GW2 has a lot of things going for it, but the things going against it are really damning imo.

Balance is atrocious, with only a handful of builds being competitive and the community is becoming more and more meta focused for any content more challenging than open world, even if it's still quite easy like T4 fractals.

The game's optimisation is just appalling. It'll chug on a high end computer and run slightly smoother but still pretty poorly on an old computer because of directx9.

Then the game's end game is a lot of same-same fluff without much of a gameplay-centric goal as you cap out on gear quite fast and everything else is just cosmetic/convenience. Makes it difficult for me to get invested for long.

I was playing it a lot again recently but gave up because of the things I just mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post

So yeah, if you jump back in and have to head to heart of thorns to unlock Druid, it can seem daunting. But, there are almost always Hero Point trains going. (HoT HP are also 10 points btw)
    !
    Some of the more involved hero points nodes of HoT are 10 points while most are the regular single. In Path every single of them is x10. Also I find the path of fire zones more fun to explore personally and that’s a major factor for me in that game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruargh
    I'm baffled that something this simple can be so hard for some people... I guess we can't blame blizzard for dumbing down the game any longer, because apparently it very much needed :

Quote Originally Posted by alt-ithist View Post
    Some of the more involved hero points nodes of HoT are 10 points while most are the regular single. In Path every single of them is x10. Also I find the path of fire zones more fun to explore personally and that’s a major factor for me in that game.
    Umm, what hero points in HoT are only 1 point... I map completed Verdant Brink, Tangled Depths, Auric Valley, and most of Dragon Stand and all of the ones I've hit have been 10 points.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemmar View Post
    I think alot of people don't even think about that. But there is a lack of a hardcore community for the most part. The community that existed seems to have become less motivated because the raids are at the pace of about 1 per year... and at the end of the day, without a gear treadmill, there isn't much point imo.

With that said, the maps and the story content is amazing and well worth playing by itself.
    Not to mention once you have kickass gear it is not replaced every expansion. If I get a kickass ascended piece now it is still good 2 expansions from now. In doing so gear does take quite a bit longer to get but in the end is very worth it.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal

Quote Originally Posted by Lighthope View Post
    I like Guild Wars 2. I really do. I just wonder if it will be around in a couple years, still putting stuff out.
    They just released an expansion in August 2017, and the game originally came out in 2012. You do the math.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

Quote Originally Posted by alt-ithist View Post
    All HoT HP's are 10 points, same as PoF. Eating bacon in Tangled Depth is the same 10 points as killing the champ mushroom just north of it. My "experience" lets me run an alt through the easier (bacon, communes, whatever) HP's in a nice tight route and skip the painful ones, certainly. As I said though, hit the group finder and you'll easily find Verdant or Auric or Tangled hero-trains that will have a large swarm of locusts... er, players, doing a circuit around the areas, hitting all the waypoints and hero points.

So yeah, I can run around and get the HP I need to unlock what I need without hitting all of them. Dragons Stand is easy to stealth through and snag HP ONCE YOU KNOW THE ROUTES, but at launch I didn't know the routes and there were no trains and the Elite specs cost MORE hero points.

So jumping back in might seem daunting, but it is actually easier for a returning/ new player than it was for those of us active at launch.

HoT masteries are a grind though. Horrible, unfun, grind.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Quote Originally Posted by Sliske View Post
    FF XIV and GW2 are very, very different games.

As for whether GW2 will be around for a long time - probably. Guild Wars 1 is still running and its been around since 2005 or so. GW2 if it does die off, will likely have its servers merged and work will be done to make the servers run more cost friendly than they currently do, then it will be in maintenance mode (like GW1 is now) until for whatever reason, probably the player base reaching less than a few thousand, it shuts down.

But that won't be for a long time.

- - - Updated - - -

The vast majority of GW2s playerbase doesn't raid or do rated pvp or high fractals. They play the game the way most gamers play all games these days; the accumulation of stuff - Achievement points, Gold, Cosmetics and in this case, hero points and mastery.

Theres a reason mobile games are the biggest market in gaming and theres a reason all of them are entirely based on the accumulation of stuff.

Its the extremely tiny minority that actually doesn't like doing this kind of stuff.
    There's a difference, at least for me, between farming for cosmetics/achievement pts/etc and grinding for hours to get access to gameplay mechanics. I've played quite a few hours of gw2, and really enjoyed vanilla, but HoT was horrendous imo and PoF, while better, still just makes me want to log off in frustration seeing how much work I have to put in to get access to something so basic as a new spec - one of the major selling points of these expacs.

There's a difference, at least for me, between farming for cosmetics/achievement pts/etc and grinding for hours to get access to gameplay mechanics. I've played quite a few hours of gw2, and really enjoyed vanilla, but HoT was horrendous imo and PoF, while better, still just makes me want to log off in frustration seeing how much work I have to put in to get access to something so basic as a new spec - one of the major selling points of these expacs.
    If you count a lot of work as about 45 minutes to an hour tops of game play. Sure... Ok, being an old player coming back for the first time in 2 years it took me 2 hours for my first character to get the HP needed for Renegade. The other 9 toons I have it took me about 45 minutes each. Verdant Brink for the easy ones, then Auric Basin, 2 quick easy in Tangled depths (Avoiding all Champs) then onto POF for the easiest HP ever created in the Crystal Desert, Elonan Riverlands and Desert Highlands. Only took me about a month for the free ascended weapons on each too.

Now, if you want TWO of the new specs per character, that gets a little long and required a HP train. OR if you like WvW you can play that causually, get great rewards in the track you choose to work on, AND get easy turn ins for free HP unlocks from any HoT or PoF map. 10 points each... it takes about 1 hour per 40 hp or so doing this if you get your participation up quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by VXBlade View Post
    If you count a lot of work as about 45 minutes to an hour tops of game play. Sure... Ok, being an old player coming back for the first time in 2 years it took me 2 hours for my first character to get the HP needed for Renegade. The other 9 toons I have it took me about 45 minutes each. Verdant Brink for the easy ones, then Auric Basin, 2 quick easy in Tangled depths (Avoiding all Champs) then onto POF for the easiest HP ever created in the Crystal Desert, Elonan Riverlands and Desert Highlands. Only took me about a month for the free ascended weapons on each too.

Now, if you want TWO of the new specs per character, that gets a little long and required a HP train. OR if you like WvW you can play that causually, get great rewards in the track you choose to work on, AND get easy turn ins for free HP unlocks from any HoT or PoF map. 10 points each... it takes about 1 hour per 40 hp or so doing this if you get your participation up quickly.
    A bit off topic, but have they fixed WvW so it's not constantly dominated by one faction of roaming zergs? I remember reading they were planning something to improve it but haven't logged on recently.

A bit off topic, but have they fixed WvW so it's not constantly dominated by one faction of roaming zergs? I remember reading they were planning something to improve it but haven't logged on recently.
    There are plans to get rid of current worlds (realms) and bring temporary worlds with balanced population
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    There are plans to get rid of current worlds (realms) and bring temporary worlds with balanced population
    That would be cool. If it works I might be interested in WvW again. Always thought it was a shame such a cool concept degenerated into an unfun mess (in my opinion).