Page 1 of 2
LastLast

AU Draenor and Chronicle III

The new chronicle III book has an interesting section on time travel that I will post soon. We know that AU Draenor is going to have an appearance in BFA so how does everyone think AU Draenor now fits in the grand scheme of things, now that we have this new information.

I personally love that the new infinite timeline shenanigans have been partially fixed. It was stupid there being one legion and infinite timelines. Now that we know there is one true timeline (we already knew this, but people argued anyway) and that alternate timelines just naturally disappear, it makes it alot more sensible.

- - - Updated - - -

In all known realms of the cosmos, time flows forward, ever forward. Chaotic energies in places like the Twisting Nether can affect how quickly it flows, but it only flows forward.
    Once an event happens, it cannot be changed. These events and choices, made up of all creatures and forces in the cosmos, join together like a river, sharing the same reality. Different choices and different possibilities naturally spin off the river of time like small creeks and estuaries, ebbing and flowing for a while. If these shades of what could have been are left alone, they will eventually dissipate into nothing. If efforts are made to preserve them (or alter them), they can indeed remain in existence indefinitely. They can even be made to feed back into the main river—dead creatures can seemingly “live again,” and the past (or future) may literally come back to haunt you. This is not a natural phenomenon, and the inhabitants of the main timeway will often find these experiences to be quite alarming.
    But the only timeway that has a permanent effect on the cosmos is the main timeway. Creatures like the bronze dragons, who have command of temporal magic, can see all the countless tributaries of alternate universes and timelines, and they can even move back and forth along the stream to observe the past and the future.
    If that main river is disrupted, it could spell doom and disaster. All life on Azeroth depends on time to flow ever forward. Without the surety that the sun will rise and set each day, the seasons would not pass, the cycle of life would become meaningless, and all living creatures would eventually die from being unable to sustain themselves. It is the most sacred mission of the bronze dragonflight to keep that from happening.

Keep in mind that the section in Chronicle III were about alternate timeline of the one / our universe. It was mainly referring our infinite possible timelines and possible effect when people mess around with them (that bit was right after the section about Rhonin, Brox and Korialastraz being brought back to WoTA). AU Draenor, on the other hand, was not only an alternate timeline but of another alternate universe altogether (the section also implied that alternate universes and timelines aren't exactly the same). In short, that bit in Chronicle doesn't apply to the relationship between AU Draenor and MU.
    Last edited by Qualia; 2018-03-29 at 02:07 AM.
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang
    Donnons le sang de guillotine
    Pour guerir la secheresse de la guillotine
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang.

Quote Originally Posted by Qualia View Post
    Keep in mind that the section in Chronicle III were about alternate timeline of the one / our universe. AU Draenor, on the other hand, was not only an alternate timeline but of another alternate universe altogether. In short, that bit in Chronicle doesn't apply to AU Draenor.
    Got to disagree with you on that one. It seems that Alternate timeline and alternate universe are synonymous in wow.

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Time_travel#Legion
    Last edited by bbrewer; 2018-03-29 at 02:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bbrewer View Post
    Got to disagree with you on that one. It seems that Alternate timeline and alternate universe are synonymous in wow.
    I don't agree. You can see in this bolded part of that very same excerpt that they made the distinction between alternate timelines and alternate universes: "Creatures like the bronze dragons, who have command of temporal magic, can see all the countless tributaries of alternate universes and timelines, and they can even move back and forth along the stream to observe the past and the future". If alternate timelines are the same as alternate universes, it'd be redundant to repeat it twice in the same line.

With that bit from Chronicle, I see it that there are infinite universes. Each of them has their own main timeline. The infinite possibilities and choices throughout history of those main timelines create the alternate timelines - which would dissipate if left alone naturally, or can remain in existence if there are effort to preserve or alter them. However, among those timelines, only the main timeway would have permanent effect on the cosmos.
    Last edited by Qualia; 2018-03-29 at 02:15 AM.
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang
    Donnons le sang de guillotine
    Pour guerir la secheresse de la guillotine
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang.

I don't agree. You can see in this bolded part of that very same excerpt that they made the distinction between alternate timelines and alternate universes: "Creatures like the bronze dragons, who have command of temporal magic, can see all the countless tributaries of alternate universes and timelines, and they can even move back and forth along the stream to observe the past and the future". If alternate timelines are the same as alternate universes, it'd be redundant to repeat it twice in the same line.

With that bit from Chronicle, I see it that there are infinite universes. Each of them has their own main timeline. The infinite possibilities and choices throughout history of those main timelines create the alternate timelines - which would dissipate if left alone naturally, or can remain in existence if there are effort to preserve or alter them. However, among those timelines, only the main timeway would have permanent effect on the cosmos.
    Agree to disagree I suppose, In any novel, short story, etc that blizzard has released that involve any bit of time travel, they have never made a distinction between the two. It seems to me that timeways, timelines, universes, pocket universes, etc are just sci fi terms thrown around by blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    I personally love that the new infinite timeline shenanigans have been partially fixed. It was stupid there being one legion and infinite timelines. Now that we know there is one true timeline (we already knew this, but people argued anyway) and that alternate timelines just naturally disappear, it makes it alot more sensible.
    Each universe has its own main timeway, how it is meant to unfold. The bronzes were charged with keeping the integrity of that timeway from changes to history. This has always been their mission from the beginning.
    Even back when the Caverns of Time was introduced, there were infinite timeways, but they only focused on ones connected to our reality/universe. They didn't care about timeways connected to other realities.

The first mention of the "one true timeline" is pretty clear that it's not talking about alternate universes, just changes to our history.
    Unto you is charged the great task of keeping the purity of time. Know that there is only one true timeline, though there are those who would have it otherwise. You must protect it. Without the truth of time as it is meant to unfold, more will be lost than you can possibly imagine. The fabric of reality will unravel. It is a heavy task--the base of all tasks of this world, for nothing can transpire without time.
    -Twilight of the Aspects
    It should be noted that the titans do not transcend universes.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Do Titans also transcend all realities or are there multiple Titans?
    They don't, there are multiple titans, they are searching the cosmos for additional Titans. (Muffinus)

The alternate universes visited are not fleeting like alternate (possible) timelines of a single universe.
    May I ask a question? In your interview with Jessie Cox, you compared WoD's Draenor with the Alt Azeroth of THRALL: TotA I understood, by reading the book, that said Alt Azeroth vanished/crumbled when T realized present is what matters.
    That scene represented the fact that Thrall (and Noz) could with that realization escape the grasp of the Timeways not that the alternate Timeways were destroyed. (ChristieGolden)

- - - Updated - - -

Agree to disagree I suppose, In any novel, short story, etc that blizzard has released that involve any bit of time travel, they have never made a distinction between the two. It seems to me that timeways, timelines, universes, pocket universes, etc are just sci fi terms thrown around by blizzard.
    Sean Copeland noted that timeways are supposed to be different from timelines, but that the writers tend to use them interchangeably. In Blizzard writing, "reality" and "universe" are synonymous.
    Last edited by Aquamonkey; 2018-03-29 at 02:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Each universe has its own main timeway, how it is meant to unfold. The bronzes were charged with keeping the integrity of that timeway from changes to history. This has always been their mission from the beginning.
    Even back when the Caverns of Time was introduced, there were infinite timeways, but they only focused on ones connected to our reality/universe. They didn't care about timeways connected to other realities.

The first mention of the "one true timeline" is pretty clear that it's not talking about alternate universes, just changes to our history.
    Unto you is charged the great task of keeping the purity of time. Know that there is only one true timeline, though there are those who would have it otherwise. You must protect it. Without the truth of time as it is meant to unfold, more will be lost than you can possibly imagine. The fabric of reality will unravel. It is a heavy task--the base of all tasks of this world, for nothing can transpire without time.
    -Twilight of the Aspects

The alternate universes visited are not fleeting like alternate (possible) timelines of a single universe.
    May I ask a question? In your interview with Jessie Cox, you compared WoD's Draenor with the Alt Azeroth of THRALL: TotA I understood, by reading the book, that said Alt Azeroth vanished/crumbled when T realized present is what matters.
    That scene represented the fact that Thrall (and Noz) could with that realization escape the grasp of the Timeways not that the alternate Timeways were destroyed. (ChristieGolden)
    In the above quote, i posted the full thing, blizzard is clearly lumping the terms timeway and universe together.

Now i know that theres been blue post in the past that have dealt with this, such as infinite titans, 1 sargeras, 1 demon etc. But chronicle III is the newest piece of lore, so i'm going to give it much more weight then a contradictory blue post from years ago.
    Last edited by bbrewer; 2018-03-29 at 03:33 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    In the above quote, i posted the full thing, blizzard is clearly lumping the terms timeway and universe together.

Now i know that theres been blue post in the past that have dealt with this, such as infinite titans, 1 sargeras, 1 demon etc. But chronicle III is the newest piece of
    lore, so i'm going to give it much more weight then a contradictory blue post from years ago.
    And Chronicle 3 specifically mentions both alternate universes and timelines, indicating they are 2 different things. Sean Copeland noted before WoD that timeways are technically supposed to be different from timelines, but that the writers tend to use them interchangeably. Chronicle seems to now lump them into facets of the same thing. In Blizzard writing, "reality" and "universe" are synonymous. Chronicle 3 basically equates reality with the main timeway without discounting the fact that there are other realities altogether.

And Chronicle 3 specifically mentions both alternate universes and timelines, indicating they are 2 different things. Sean Copeland noted before WoD that timeways are technically supposed to be different from timelines, but that the writers tend to use them interchangeably. Chronicle seems to now lump them into facets of the same thing. In Blizzard writing, "reality" and "universe" are synonymous. Chronicle 3 basically equates reality with the main timeway without discounting the fact that there are other realities altogether.
    Let's say they are different, and that alternate timelines and alternate universes aren't the same. I still feel that with blizzard putting them into the above quote blizzard is making both follow the rules they've outlined above. So for example, if we left AU Draenor alone and didn't feed into it, it would ultimately cease to exist.

EDIT: I know timelines are a can of worms and that it get's confusing as all hell, what is the exact point of disagreement between us so it doesn't turn into a shitshow lol, is it just the part about alternate timelines and alternate universes being different?
    Last edited by bbrewer; 2018-03-29 at 02:42 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's say they are different, and that alternate timelines and alternate universes aren't the same. I still feel that with blizzard putting them into the above quote blizzard is making both follow the rules they've outlined above. So for example, if we left AU Draenor alone and didn't feed into it, it would ultimately cease to exist.

EDIT: I know timelines are a can of worms and that it get's confusing as all hell, what is the exact point of disagreement between us so it doesn't turn into a shitshow lol, is it just the part about alternate timelines and alternate universes being different?
    The separate realities are not connected (naturally). The alternate timeways all branch off of and/or feed back like streams into the main timeway river for that reality. A separate reality is an independent and unconnected river.

Bronzes (pre-DS) could always navigate up/down and between the rivers and streams. They could traverse up and down the main river and its tributaries for our reality, visiting the past, future, and alternate timeways. They could also jump across to other reality rivers. The intro to Caverns of Time states that they only focused on the timeways that connect to our reality while ignoring the infinite timeways that don't (the ones connected to other reality rivers). We also see this with with Kairoz hopping to the WoD-verse and the various Blizzard statements.

This section of Chronicle 3 reinforces that notion while using the river/stream analogy for how alternate timeways work within a single reality.

- - - Updated - - -

So far, the Chronicle series is based on our universe, but 3 does mention there being others. We'll have to wait for a future installment to see if they change their temporal mechanics when describing WoD.

The separate realities are not connected (naturally). The alternate timeways all branch off of and/or feed back like streams into the main timeway river for that reality. A separate reality is an independent and unconnected river.

Bronzes (pre-DS) could always navigate up/down and between the rivers and streams. They could traverse up and down the main river and its tributaries for our reality, visiting the past, future, and alternate timeways. They could also jump across to other reality rivers. The intro to Caverns of Time states that they only focused on the timeways that connect to our reality while ignoring the infinite timeways that don't (the ones connected to other reality rivers). We also see this with with Kairoz hopping to the WoD-verse and the various Blizzard statements.

This section of Chronicle 3 reinforces that notion while using the river/stream analogy for how alternate timeways work within a single reality.

- - - Updated - - -

So far, the Chronicle series is based on our universe, but 3 does mention there being others. We'll have to wait for a future installment to see if they change their temporal mechanics when describing WoD.
    I get what you're saying, when blizzard mentions that there's more then one reality, i get the sense their referring to the Great Dark beyond, Twisting Nether, Emerald Dream, Shadowlands, Elemental Plane and presumably a void and light reality, etc. Not another alternate universe like ours that has no connection to us until we make that connection and I don't see any blizzard works that reinforce this other then 1 or 2 blue posts from like 2014 about titans, that is somewhat contradictory.

Any of blizzards works on the subjects (Hellscream, War of the Ancients, thrall novels, etc) are totally consistent with the rules above.
    Last edited by bbrewer; 2018-03-29 at 03:20 AM.

I finished reading the book myself now.

For me, it clarifies things nicely, and matches what I had come up with, myself.

Basically, there is only one main timeline, shaped by our actions in what qualifies as the present. Before the occurrence of "now" lie infinite possibilities, paths for every choice and possibilities, but only one of these will be the path the true timeline takes. The other options and possibilities not taken, exist as shades of possibility for a while. Bronze dragons and the like can browse and study these, but unless the folks from the true timeline start messing with them, they fade away like shadows.

In that way, the infinite timelines existing simultaneously, or in the past of the path of the true timeline are but fading echoes of possibilities not taken. They are like trees that fall in a forest, when no one is there to hear the sound. If there is no there to hear the sound, the sound fades away without impact on anyone or anything.

This explains well the state of the timeline Thrall found himself in when he was searching for Nozdormu in the Twilight of the Aspects book. The timeline he was in was different from ours. Things happened that shouldn't have. And so as time stretched on, it became less and less real, and time was developing flaws. Thrall from the main timeline made this timeline "real" for a while, but it was already degraded. And when he focused himself on living in the moment, in the actual "now", it faded away quickly again, to the mere abstract of possibility.

Alternate Draenor is definitely one of those untaken branches of the main timeline. Meaning it was merely one of the infinite possibilities, that became manifest with the arrival of Garrosh and Kairozdormu, altered by them and sustained by its connection with the main timeline through the shard of the Vision of Time artifact brought to it.

That shard was apparently removed again after WoD, according to the latest datamining dialogue, as the connection has to be restored to get to Draenor and recruit the Mag'har Horde Orcs.
    What breaking from the main timeline again will mean for the fate of Draenor is unclear. We impacted that timeline a lot, and carry experiences from it with us. So I'm guessing its existence should remain stable for a good time at least. But I am no Bronze Dragon. If I was a Draenor Orc though, I'd prefer that connection wasn't closed again...

Either way, as long as you don't go messing around with the actual past of the actual timeline, it would seem you're in the clear where it comes to catastrophic consequences to time itself.
    Last edited by Caerule; 2018-03-29 at 03:27 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    I'm of the mind that the existence of persistent, stable alternative universes (as opposed to just versions of the main universe's timeways) opened up a philosophical and ontological can of worms that "Chronicle Vol. 3" is now trying to rectify. One of the main problems with WoD was the realization that the Twisting Nether and thus the Legion were transcendent and singular and so their pogrom was across the multiverse as opposed to just the already unknowably vast main universe of WoW. This makes Sargeras' goal basically impossible as there could be an unknowable number of unknowably large universes in this multiverse, and possibly an infinity of Titan world-souls to find and destroy (because unlike the Nether and the demons, the Titans could be repeated or copied across multiple universes as well).

The change to these alternate universes becoming temporary works to close this problem - making them inconsequential to the Legion because of their temporary natures, unless like the universe containing WoD an outside force "solidifies" said universe into one that can be visited or one that connects back to the main trunk of the main universe in some fashion. Essentially the Legion had no connection to WoD's universe whatsoever - and Gul'dan's history concerning them is all an echo based on the branching, temporary timeline. Without intervention this timeline, with its minor differences (such as Garrosh having never been born), would've gone down its otherwise normal path and winked out of existence normally at some predestined point. Garrosh and Kairoz changed that fate by using the Vision of Time to solidify it, and in so doing connected it to the main trunk of our universe (the true timeline and continuity) and also made the Legion aware of it. The Legion reconnects with this new Gul'dan and his nascent Shadow Council and things proceed along the arc we know, all in a shadowplay to get AU Gul'dan to make his pact with Archimonde and Kil'jaeden and to maneuver him into place on Azeroth and kick-start the next great Legion invasion of Azeroth in the only universe they actually care about.

That is my supposition, in any case - we'll have to get positive confirmation from a qualified source to see if it's correct.
    Last edited by Aucald; 2018-03-29 at 03:30 AM.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Caerule View Post
    I finished reading the book myself now.

For me, it clarifies things nicely, and matches what I had come up with, myself.

Basically, there is only one main timeline, shaped by our actions in what qualifies as the present. Before the occurrence of "now" lie infinite possibilities, paths for every choice and possibilities, but only one of these will be the path the true timeline takes. The other options and possibilities not taken, exist as shades of possibility for a while. Bronze dragons and the like can browse and study these, but unless the folks from the true timeline start messing with them, they fade away like shadows.

In that way, the infinite timelines existing simultaneously, or in the past of the path of the true timeline are but fading echoes of possibilities not taken. They are like trees that fall in a forest, when no one is there to hear the sound. If there is no there to hear the sound, the sound fades away without impact on anyone or anything.

This explains well the state of the timeline Thrall found himself in when he was searching for Nozdormu in the Twilight of the Aspects book. The timeline he was in was different from ours. Things happened that shouldn't have. And so as time stretched on, it became less and less real, and time was developing flaws. Thrall from the main timeline made this timeline "real" for a while, but it was already degraded. And when he focused himself on living in the moment, in the actual "now", it faded away quickly again, to the mere abstract of possibility.

Alternate Draenor is definitely one of those untaken branches of the main timeline. Meaning it was merely one of the infinite possibilities, that became manifest with the arrival of Garrosh and Kairozdormu, altered by them and sustained by its connection with the main timeline through the shard of the Vision of Time artifact brought to it.

That shard was apparently removed again after WoD, according to the latest datamining dialogue, as the connection has to be restored to get to Draenor.
    What breaking from the main timeline again will mean for the fate of Draenor is unclear. We impacted that timeline a lot, and carry experiences from it with us. So I'm guessing its existence should remain stable for a good time at least. But I am no Bronze Dragon. If I was a Draenor Orc though, I'd prefer that connection wasn't closed again...

Either way, as long as you don't go messing around with the actual past of the actual timeline, it would seem you're in the clear where it comes to catastrophic consequences to time itself.
    Agree 100%, event though I thought time worked differently before chronicle III, after reading it that was the same sense i got as well.

On a side note, an excerpt from the passage above "This is not a natural phenomenon, and the inhabitants of the main timeway will often find these experiences to be quite alarming." I felt was a little shot by blizzard at the fans for their reaction to time travel.

I think that's a great supposition @Aucald. Would upvote it if I could.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Caerule View Post
    This is a direct contradiction of what was previously stated. If this is indeed Blizzard's intent, it's a retcon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    This is a direct contradiction of what was previously stated. If this is indeed Blizzard's intent, it's a retcon.
    Not all retcons are explicitly bad retcons - in this case, I would say it's a change for the better if it clears up the whole issue with the "transcendent Nether" and the problem of multiple aspects of a single individual becoming a demon and translating on top of one another in said singular instance of the Nether.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Yeah, that's probably what it is. This change helps differentiate between alternate timelines and alternate universes. And rips off DC.

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Not all retcons are explicitly bad retcons - in this case, I would say it's a change for the better if it clears up the whole issue with the "transcendent Nether" and the problem of multiple aspects of a single individual becoming a demon and translating on top of one another in said singular instance of the Nether.
    But nothing stopped AU Socrethar from being made anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

Deleted
    Timeways and universes are synonymous. Khadgar confirms this when he describes WoD as "the Legion's corruption seeping through the timeways".

Now, timeways/universes and timelines are not. Each timeway/universes has its own timeline, ie its own order of things, which, if disrupted, leads to the unraveling of the said timeway/universe. It is as simple as that.

And yes, it is a retcon from some previous explanations. Except for timeway and timeline being a different thing, we've known that for long thanks to Sean Copeland. But it is a good one, since it eliminates the whole "infinite universes but only one Nether" can of worms.

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    I'm of the mind that the existence of persistent, stable alternative universes (as opposed to just versions of the main universe's timeways) opened up a philosophical and ontological can of worms that "Chronicle Vol. 3" is now trying to rectify. One of the main problems with WoD was the realization that the Twisting Nether and thus the Legion were transcendent and singular and so their pogrom was across the multiverse as opposed to just the already unknowably vast main universe of WoW. This makes Sargeras' goal basically impossible as there could be an unknowable number of unknowably large universes in this multiverse, and possibly an infinity of Titan world-souls to find and destroy (because unlike the Nether and the demons, the Titans could be repeated or copied across multiple universes as well).

The change to these alternate universes becoming temporary works to close this problem - making them inconsequential to the Legion because of their temporary natures, unless like the universe containing WoD an outside force "solidifies" said universe into one that can be visited or one that connects back to the main trunk of the main universe in some fashion. Essentially the Legion had no connection to WoD's universe whatsoever - and Gul'dan's history concerning them is all an echo based on the branching, temporary timeline. Without intervention this timeline, with its minor differences (such as Garrosh having never been born), would've gone down its otherwise normal path and winked out of existence normally at some predestined point. Garrosh and Kairoz changed that fate by using the Vision of Time to solidify it, and in so doing connected it to the main trunk of our universe (the true timeline and continuity) and also made the Legion aware of it. The Legion reconnects with this new Gul'dan and his nascent Shadow Council and things proceed along the arc we know, all in a shadowplay to get AU Gul'dan to make his pact with Archimonde and Kil'jaeden and to maneuver him into place on Azeroth and kick-start the next great Legion invasion of Azeroth in the only universe they actually care about.

That is my supposition, in any case - we'll have to get positive confirmation from a qualified source to see if it's correct.
    Gul'dan in that timeline was already in contact with the Legion, and Kairoz said he picked this one from many others and they will go to all those others eventually aswell. All those others that are already starting to form their Hordes, hence the Legion is already involved in those timelines.

and in so doing connected it to the main trunk of our universe (the true timeline and continuity) and also made the Legion aware of it.
    According to Blizzard, it's not just this world, it's an entire universe which includes another Azeroth with a world soul. Which is a world without the Horde, which leads to the Old Gods more likely getting free. But with the alpha, we learn that connection to that timeline is not easier and that we still need a piece of Kairoz's artifact to open it again.