Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Hyped as? No maybe not but it was still highly over promised and massively under delivered. The developers even lied about how much content it had and did so many times.
    I followed SoT pretty closely...which is why I am not ultimately let down with the state the game is in....I mean I dont think charging $60 is right for what this game is right now...but I do not remember the developers claiming it had a ton of content...I think your playstation bias is showing right now...and thats fine...SoT is ultimately a let down as a whole...limited fun in very small sample sizes. It will be dead long before they actually add any meaningful content too which is unfortunate given the opportunity the game had.

Quote Originally Posted by RuneDK View Post
    I followed SoT pretty closely...which is why I am not ultimately let down with the state the game is in....I mean I dont think charging $60 is right for what this game is right now...but I do not remember the developers claiming it had a ton of content...I think your playstation bias is showing right now...and thats fine...SoT is ultimately a let down as a whole...limited fun in very small sample sizes. It will be dead long before they actually add any meaningful content too which is unfortunate given the opportunity the game had.
    Umm then your remembering wrong because it was in there marketing and each E3 reveal. Just because I made a statement about a game doesn't mean I am having some Bias. NMS was also a pile of shit at release as well.

(E3 2015)
    2min 11sec to 2min 40sec.

(E3 2016) (5min mark onward mostly but really the whole video)

SoT: The game will meet all those motivations, There will be reasons for player's to come back and play
    IGN: Will there be a economy like gold so you can buy gear
    SoT: Absolutely
    Would you like me to link you more videos of there PR spin? I didn't get my hopes up for this game because of two main reasons 1) Its Rare and 2) Its the same PR spin NMS did.

So before you claim you fallowed the game closely (you clearly didn't) and claim I have a bias know what you are talking about. All they did for 4 years was make a tech demo with PR spin.

I knew it was going to at most be streamer content from the get go and the PR reeked of NMS levels of bullshit.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

First video literally says nothing of what you're stating they did. It's just saying its a super ambitious game and you can do whatever you please in the game...which is mostly true.

You quoting them is hilarious too....you forgot to quote what they said right before you quoted the devs....some players want to play socially, fill their boat with booze and instruments, some will want to hunt other players and steal their treasure.....

Way to miss a major part of the context.

I knew the game wasn't going to be anything special, lack of talking about content in the last few months was like well...maybe i shouldnt buy this. I convinced my friends to do xbox games pass for it as well.

Way to miss a major part of the context.
    Way to miss where I said (The whole video really). Your just pissy I proved you wrong and your "You are bias har har har" comment to be childish bullshit. I can give you a list as long as my arm of bullshit PR spin videos from them. It is NMS levels of bullshit PR and the funny part is NMS actually had more content then it (not by much to be fair).

They hyped the game up and under delivered it that is a FACT.

The game is a overpriced Early Access/Tech Demo, Do again tell me how I am being bias by pointing out that FACT.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Way to miss where I said (The whole video really). Your just pissy I proved you wrong and your "You are bias har har har" comment to be childish bullshit. I can give you a list as long as my arm of bullshit PR spin videos from them. It is NMS levels of bullshit PR and the funny part is NMS actually had more content then it (not by much to be fair).

They hyped the game up and under delivered it that is a FACT.

The game is a overpriced Early Access/Tech Demo, Do again tell me how I am being bias by pointing out that FACT.
    I'm not pissy at all, when you quote something it's good to have the WHOLE context...you missed a major part of what was being said in your "quote" from the rare developers and IGN. That is a pretty big part to fucking just leave out to try and prove a point. I do not disagree with you about it being an overpriced tech demo/EA game....but this game was not hyped up the way you continually say it was.

but this game was not hyped up the way you continually say it was.
    And you are factually wrong.

Isn't like the game was showed off at each E3 since its reveal and it had interview after interview in between.......Oh wait it was. There is literally video proof of it and yet you keep ignoring it.

Done going back and forth with you on this. I give you video proof and you ignore it, so clearly talking to you is pointless.

And you are factually wrong.

Isn't like the game was showed off at each E3 since its reveal and it had interview after interview in between.......Oh wait it was. There is literally video proof of it and yet you keep ignoring it.

Done going back and forth with you on this. I give you video proof and you ignore it, so clearly talking to you is pointless.
    Cause the video proof isn't actual proof....there was legit minimal hype in those two videos you posted if any. The first video had zero hype thrown into it.....the second one has maybe a little but not at the point you quoted cause you missed the most important part of that interaction between IGN and the devs.

there was legit minimal hype in those two videos you posted if any.
    Those was two examples.

Once again what do you call a game that is at every E3 and some events between, Interviews between and even has merch made for it.
    https://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/...sea-of-thieves

You are FACTUALLY wrong.

#DealWithIt.

Those was two examples.

Once again what do you call a game that is at every E3 and some events between, Interviews between and even has merch made for it.
    https://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/...sea-of-thieves

You are FACTUALLY wrong.

#DealWithIt.
    I don't think you actually know what hype is....There's numerous games that have merch, are at numerous E3s and interviews in between....it's called talking about your project to get people interested.

Hype is by definition extravagant or intensive publicity or promotion or in the verb sense to promote or publicize( a product or idea) intensively, often exaggerating it's importance or benefits.....Now...maybe to you those videos are massive hype...but I can assure you they are not actually hype in the sense you're saying it is. It may be embellishing....but it's not hyping up the game. What Sony and Hello Games did with No Man's Sky was much more egregious than what Rare/MS did with SoT. You're confusing marketing with hype.

When you do dealwithit as the hashtag...you come off incredibly immature and honestly pathetic.

Either way I'm done arguing, we don't agree on what hype is considered. We do agree that it's an overpriced tech demo/Early Access game. No point in continuing to argue just to argue.
    Last edited by RuneDK; 2018-03-29 at 05:17 AM.

I don't think you actually know what hype is....There's numerous games that have merch, are at numerous E3s and interviews in between....it's called talking about your project to get people interested.

Hype is by definition extravagant or intensive publicity or promotion or in the verb sense to promote or publicize( a product or idea) intensively, often exaggerating it's importance or benefits.....Now...maybe to you those videos are massive hype...but I can assure you they are not actually hype in the sense you're saying it is. It may be embellishing....but it's not hyping up the game. What Sony and Hello Games did with No Man's Sky was much more egregious than what Rare/MS did with SoT. You're confusing marketing with hype.

When you do dealwithit as the hashtag...you come off incredibly immature and honestly pathetic.

Either way I'm done arguing, we don't agree on what hype is considered. We do agree that it's an overpriced tech demo/Early Access game. No point in continuing to argue just to argue.
    There’s no reason to keep this debate up with Jt. He does this all the time. Good luck trying to convince him otherwise once he gets an idea in his head, regardless of how right or wrong it is. He’d claim a video of a chicken is actually a video of a pig and staunchly defend that viewpoint simply because he believes it to be so. He’s a broken record with this kind of stuff.

Anyway, I think one thing we can all agree on is that the game is a massive letdown and an extremely shallow experience that is most definitely not worth a $60 price tag. It’s an early access game at best with nothing to keep people around other than empty promises so far from Rare (and who fucking knows if they’ll ever deliver on them or not). The game simply isn’t worth it for 99% of gamers out there.

Haven't read your whole convo going on but to the jist of it seems to be regarding hype of the game? Well, there was. Need proof? They used the hype of the game to push their Xbox Game Pass service. They have consoles bundled with the game. Those two things don't happen unless there is enough hype behind it to justify doing those things.

Quote Originally Posted by MyndZero View Post
    Haven't read your whole convo going on but to the jist of it seems to be regarding hype of the game? Well, there was. Need proof? They used the hype of the game to push their Xbox Game Pass service. They have consoles bundled with the game. Those two things don't happen unless there is enough hype behind it to justify doing those things.
    Building hype and straight up lying about what was in the game are two entirely different things and something that was included in the convo that you yourself admitted to not reading. Context my friend, you need it.

Also, most people with a brain knew just how shallow and boring the game would be based off of the Betas alone. Anyone acting like they got baited and switched with this game aren’t very bright individuals in the first place.
    Last edited by Zephyr Storm; 2018-03-29 at 07:34 AM.

A company used hype to make money off the console consumers that are known to have no clue and simply buy anything? Color me surprised!

Not sure why people are complaining, this is how gaming has turned to be, stop buying or refund the games till they get the message, even so it wont matter cause a few other millions wont so they will keep doing these stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    Also, most people with a brain knew just how shallow and boring the game would be based off of the Betas alone.
    Sadly during the betas everyone was saying 'It's just the Beta, there'll be a lot more content at launch.' Not that any of them will admit there's almost nothing extra added for launch...such is the way these days it seems.

To be fair the 4 of us that decided to give it a good go are having enough fun to make it worth playing at the moment (we are all halfway through our 2 week free trials) but the fun is had despite the stupidly boring mission system and the annoyance of having someone you sunk just 5 minutes ago (and 5 minutes before that and 5 minutes before that etc) come back for another fight restocked whilst you are seriously low on cannonballs and planks because as the victor you are punished while they get a new ship and spawn on an outpost they can loot for a decent amount of supplies.

One of my crew said they were going to buy it once the trial period ended and they were met with silence so I'm not sure that they are going to any more.
    I'll play until the end of next week and then keep an eye on the content that arrives in the future and might return to it once there's a good enough reason to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Attackrabbit View Post
    Sadly during the betas everyone was saying 'It's just the Beta, there'll be a lot more content at launch.'
    Oh yes, happened even here when I called out this garbage had no actual game in it during the beta.

Quote Originally Posted by Grable View Post
    After playing the beta, I stick to my previous statement. It was fun to just sail and dick around for a few hours, but there's barely any content, the combat is uninteresting and you get bored super fast. And it's 60$? Holy hell.
    Cause beta is the final release right?
    "Loss of blood... My only weakness!"
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

Quote Originally Posted by Grable View Post
    Oh yes, happened even here when I called out this garbage had no actual game in it during the beta.
    People can be wrong, I really thought there would more to the game than the shallow shell that it is. The $60 price tag is why I thought it would be more than what was given. They really should not be charging that much at all for it. Which adds another reason to why people don't trust MS.

People can be wrong, I really thought there would more to the game than the shallow shell that it is. The $60 price tag is why I thought it would be more than what was given. They really should not be charging that much at all for it. Which adds another reason to why people don't trust MS.
    Hey it's fine. If it makes you feel better im with you on the hype/marketing debate. I don't think the game was hyped that much even (hype comes from the potential customerbase, Rare does marketing). I remember watching videos, my own and my friends' feelings and even reading comments on the internet over the last few months, people were wary of this game. We didn't see much shown apart from pretty sea and that you can fool around with your friends. I remember watching SoT videos by Rare and it was honestly disappointing, there was so little content shown. The videos mostly just showed people having fun while playing with friends.
    So the mental image that formed from these videos and scarce information was just one big question: "What do you actually do in this game?"

When the beta came and I actually had a chance to try the game myself, it served as a confirmation of this mental image. This beta being so close to release, I knew that only by the most wild chance Rare was keeping like 95% of the content for release. For a 60$ price tag, this game would need at least 10x the content it has. Having participated in lots and lots of betas, what you usually see in beta is pretty much all you get at release. This holds especially true for AAA studios, where betas are merely another marketing tool for a game that is already complete.

As someone somewhere already put it: Rare built the technical part but forgot to put in the game.
    "Loss of blood... My only weakness!"
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

despite the lack of content the game is apparently doing well according to microsoft with about 2 million people playing apparently.

2 million idiots imo who continue to justify supporting cash grab games for full price with minimum effort

This is why EA still has a job because people are literally stupid and buy anything
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    despite the lack of content the game is apparently doing well according to microsoft with about 2 million people playing apparently.
    It wouldn't surprise me if at least half of those are gamepass players so are either paying £9 a month or are on a free 2 week trial. I seriously doubt that many people have paid the asking price for the game.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    2 million idiots imo who continue to justify supporting cash grab games for full price with minimum effort

This is why EA still has a job because people are literally stupid and buy anything
    I don't think it's being idiotic to enjoy the core gameplay. Most people don't really know about or want to try a subscription service and would rather drop $60 for the sailing sim. I don't regret the purchase, as I know I will come back to it. Already I play every weekend morning to just relax for a couple of hours. I won't justify that this is a good game or that the price point is 'worth it' for a game...they definitely need to add the other 90% of the game to be honest.

But I knew what I was getting into. It's people who do no research and have wildly disposable income that fuel irresponsible game development. I can't honestly say they are idiots either...they just don't value money like others do. Maybe that's ignorant, but when you have more of it it's also inconsequential.
    BAD WOLF