Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I tried one of these thermogenics before, and it felt like my heart was going to explode. I do NOT recommend these. The safest way to lose weight is, of course, a calorie deficit through a healthy diet and exercise. There is no magic supplement in the world.

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Enfilade View Post
    I tried one of these thermogenics before, and it felt like my heart was going to explode. I do NOT recommend these. The safest way to lose weight is, of course, a calorie deficit through a healthy diet and exercise. There is no magic supplement in the world.
    Did you even read my post, or any of my comments? Where I literally outline how non of these products will ever help you unless you maintain a well regulated diet, and exercise regime, and that these pills are simply a "supplemental" addition to any good program, because they help speed up the process by increasing your metabolism? I will assume no.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Toogoodman View Post
    Did you even read my post, or any of my comments? Where I literally outline how non of these products will ever help you unless you maintain a well regulated diet, and exercise regime, and that these pills are simply a "supplemental" addition to any good program, because they help speed up the process by increasing your metabolism? I will assume no.
    You assumed wrong, then.

I took these things you're so in love with in addition to diet (I am a vegetarian) and exercise (I go to the gym for cardio five times a week, not much of a dudebro lifter), and still felt this way. Went online and found out lots of others who are even healthier than I am share my sentiments.

OP

Can you give any advice for a 35 y/o male that takes Adderall. I was in the military and use to be fit but kids, job and life hit you fast once you get out of the service. Looking for weight loss. I still have good amount mussel but I do have that dad bod thing going on.

7+ Year Old Account
    Currently 47°, -122° ... Originally 53°, -9°
    Quote Originally Posted by X Amadeus X View Post
    Sounds interesting maybe something I should try to get a little more bulk and cut, not sure if that is possible at 39 still. But hell if Dr Dre can do it it.
    Um... yes? If I was able to do it at 49/50, you should be able to at 39. Granted, I have some pretty amazing genetics from my mother (I look closer to 35 than 50, aside from the slightly graying hair starting to appear), so that might have SOMETHING to do with it. But it shouldn't be impossible.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudmc2 View Post
    OP

Can you give any advice for a 35 y/o male that takes Adderall. I was in the military and use to be fit but kids, job and life hit you fast once you get out of the service. Looking for weight loss. I still have good amount mussel but I do have that dad bod thing going on.
    I am not OP... but I can tell you what I have done from experience, in a similar boat (had the dad bod).

I cut my calories back significantly from 2500+ to about 1500-1800 daily. I cut out all processed foods, significantly lowered my salt intake, significantly reduced the amount of carbs I ate and increased fats and proteins, as well as getting better sleep, staving off eating until around 10am every day to give my metabolism from overnight the chance to burn extra fat. Exercise at least every day, if not daily. Cardio, cardio, cardio.

I did this at 45 and dropped significant weight while keeping most of my muscle.

EDIT: Your mileage may vary.
    Last edited by Oakshana; 2018-04-03 at 10:27 PM.

You assumed wrong, then.

I took these things you're so in love with in addition to diet (I am a vegetarian) and exercise (I go to the gym for cardio five times a week, not much of a dudebro lifter), and still felt this way. Went online and found out lots of others who are even healthier than I am share my sentiments.
    Thermogenics are hit and miss for the most part. Some will work really well for some people, and those same people using others won't like them. I used USP Oxy Elite Pro back when it was filled with all the things that have become banned. I was absolutely fine on it. No adverse health effects and it did what was stated. I had friends who took them and didn't like them at all, either it made them feel jittery or it didn't do anything for them. I've switched around and tried others, which I wouldn't use fully because I didn't like them. There are thermogenics that exist without caffeine in them, they are usually based on "spicy food" supplements.
    When I got into my best shape, I didn't use anything, I didn't even really watch what I ate too much (good food, just a lot of it), I just crushed it in the gym for 2-3 hours daily.

At the end of the day weight loss will always be calorie in vs calorie out, doesn't matter what people were told on tumblr. The biggest mistake people make is in their work rate, they greatly over estimate their calories out and find issues losing weight from there.

15+ Year Old Account
    Sure there is. They just aren't legal. The only legal supplements for fat loss worth taking are ephedrine and caffeine.

Quote Originally Posted by Butthurt Beluga View Post
    I personally never understood supplements or gimmick meals to aid in weightloss.
    If your body uses more energy than it intakes, you will lose weight. It's that simple.
    It is that simple, but that's the point of thermogenics. They (in theory) increase your metabolism, so you burn more energy at rest (like how HIIT works).

Whether they actually work or not I have no idea (only one I know of that is proven is caffeine)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wezmon View Post
    It is that simple, but that's the point of thermogenics. They (in theory) increase your metabolism, so you burn more energy at rest (like how HIIT works).

Whether they actually work or not I have no idea (only one I know of that is proven is caffeine)
    "Fat burner" supplements are 99% garbage. People buy them because they think they are going to have them looking like the models in their ads and want a short cut. It's very easy to market supplements for that reason. Even with a good diet, fat burners do very little beyond what some caffeine will do.

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wezmon View Post

I mean essentially this, I did this whole thing because I see so many idiots on reviews saying "I ate 5 cheeseburgers a day and took these and nothing happened", which is pretty obvious nothing will happen. I use a thermo for 2-3 months when im cutting into single digit body fat, because it helps me push out the extra water and makes me shit more when my caloric deficit gets real low. I figured I would make an honest review of a sup that I decided to use this year, and to help people understand how it works, but this thread ended up being filled with people who completely missed the point.

A thermo, on its own, will literally do nothing, it is designed to aid in metabolizing calories and pushing them out. During the first half of my cut I will eat some carbs, and intake around 2200 calories a day (a 400 calories deficit). The second half of my cut, I remove carbs and my intake is around 1850 calories (a 750 calorie deficit), my body doesn't like to shit anymore at that point, and these sups usually help me with bloating and help me shit (woohoo!).

This is all done while working out 5-7 days a week in the gym for 1.5-3 hours. I will tell you though, you cant out train a shitty diet, and carbs will ruin your chances of weight loss (numerous studies on this).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Swampmoose View Post
    "Fat burner" supplements are 99% garbage. People buy them because they think they are going to have them looking like the models in their ads and want a short cut. It's very easy to market supplements for that reason. Even with a good diet, fat burners do very little beyond what some caffeine will do.
    1) What short cut? No where did I advertise a short cut lmao, I stated this aids in metabolizing food, which it does, thanks to caffeine and "spicy food stuff" as someone else noted.

2) I will be the first to you, when I look like "one of the models" I can only maintain that level of body fat for a couple weeks at most, so I would never tell people that is an attainable goal.

3) When you tell people "its the same as caffeine" a ton of people who are trying to lose weight will take that as an excuse to drink soda.

15+ Year Old Account
    I mean essentially this, I did this whole thing because I see so many idiots on reviews saying "I ate 5 cheeseburgers a day and took these and nothing happened", which is pretty obvious nothing will happen. I use a thermo for 2-3 months when im cutting into single digit body fat, because it helps me push out the extra water and makes me shit more when my caloric deficit gets real low. I figured I would make an honest review of a sup that I decided to use this year, and to help people understand how it works, but this thread ended up being filled with people who completely missed the point.

A thermo, on its own, will literally do nothing, it is designed to aid in metabolizing calories and pushing them out. During the first half of my cut I will eat some carbs, and intake around 2200 calories a day (a 400 calories deficit). The second half of my cut, I remove carbs and my intake is around 1850 calories (a 750 calorie deficit), my body doesn't like to shit anymore at that point, and these sups usually help me with bloating and help me shit (woohoo!).

This is all done while working out 5-7 days a week in the gym for 1.5-3 hours. I will tell you though, you cant out train a shitty diet, and carbs will ruin your chances of weight loss (numerous studies on this).

- - - Updated - - -

1) What short cut? No where did I advertise a short cut lmao, I stated this aids in metabolizing food, which it does, thanks to caffeine and "spicy food stuff" as someone else noted.

2) I will be the first to you, when I look like "one of the models" I can only maintain that level of body fat for a couple weeks at most, so I would never tell people that is an attainable goal.

3) When you tell people "its the same as caffeine" a ton of people who are trying to lose weight will take that as an excuse to drink soda.
    1) I know. You advertised a bunch of trash. People want short cuts, that's why they buy any supplements. Fact.

2) Cool Story.

3) People are stupid. That's why they waste money on overpriced junk rather than learning the basics.

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    1) I know. You advertised a bunch of trash. People want short cuts, that's why they buy any supplements. Fact.

2) Cool Story.

3) People are stupid. That's why they waste money on overpriced junk rather than learning the basics.
    What other "trash" did I advertise? low carb dieting and macro counting? Scientifically proven weight loss strategies?

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutriti...hydrate-diets/

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/...-2017072712089

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...-menu#section4

I have kept nearly all my muscle mass, and have had 0 loss of strength with this type of dieting.

So im not too sure what all this "garbage" is you speak of?

15+ Year Old Account
    What other "trash" did I advertise? low carb dieting and macro counting? Scientifically proven weight loss strategies?

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutriti...hydrate-diets/

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/...-2017072712089

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...-menu#section4

I have kept nearly all my muscle mass, and have had 0 loss of strength with this type of dieting.

So im not too sure what all this "garbage" is you speak of?
    Lol why are you linking crap about dieting? This is about your Fat Burning supplements mega-advertisement you posted. Overpriced "garbage", regardless of your diet. Your lack of supplement knowledge starts immediately with creatine. "...total opposite of creatine, which keeps water in the muscles to help keep you swole during a workout and help you get stronger." That's not the purpose of creatine supplementation...

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    Lol why are you linking crap about dieting? This is about your Fat Burning supplements mega-advertisement you posted. Overpriced "garbage", regardless of your diet. Your lack of supplement knowledge starts immediately with creatine. "...total opposite of creatine, which keeps water in the muscles to help keep you swole during a workout and help you get stronger." That's not the purpose of creatine supplementation...
    https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drobson181.htm

Literally helps with recovery time, aids in formation of ATP, makes muscles retain water to help increase strength, sorry I didnt do a full breakdown of a product I wasnt even talking about.

I love the vendetta here though, I will assume you're probably one of the 120lb vegans who tell everyone that anything but their view on fitness is totally wrong, literally the definition of the "aktually" meme lmao. But yeah man! keep it up!

15+ Year Old Account
    https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drobson181.htm

Literally helps with recovery time, aids in formation of ATP, makes muscles retain water to help increase strength, sorry I didnt do a full breakdown of a product I wasnt even talking about.

I love the vendetta here though, I will assume you're probably one of the 120lb vegans who tell everyone that anything but their view on fitness is totally wrong, literally the definition of the "aktually" meme lmao. But yeah man! keep it up!
    Oh shit, you can google after the fact that you realized you're just another sheep who has no clue what they are talking about. Lmao. I have no vendetta. You're the one who responded to me defending your poor choices. Not the other way around. I was just answering questions for people who haven't been duped by the supplement industry yet. You're a lost cause so I had no reason to respond to you directly.

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    Oh shit, you can google after the fact that you realized you're just another sheep who has no clue what they are talking about. Lmao. I have no vendetta. You're the one who responded to me defending your poor choices. Not the other way around. I was just answering questions for people who haven't been duped by the supplement industry yet. You're a lost cause so I had no reason to respond to you directly.
    Its funny because here you are, saying people are being duped by supplements that have multiple, independent scientific studies showing that they actually do work. Do you even know what a thermogenic is? or what it does? or what its based off?

https://www.livestrong.com/article/5...s-weight-loss/

Its literally based off the premise that if you increase the heat in the body, it increases your metabolism, which increases calories burned on a daily basis lmao, but please, stay "woke".

15+ Year Old Account
    Its funny because here you are, saying people are being duped by supplements that have multiple, independent scientific studies showing that they actually do work. Do you even know what a thermogenic is? or what it does? or what its based off?

https://www.livestrong.com/article/5...s-weight-loss/

Its literally based off the premise that if you increase the heat in the body, it increases your metabolism, which increases calories burned on a daily basis lmao, but please, stay "woke".
    Lol, you are a supplement company's wet dream (or an employee). Why do you keep giving me these links? Most "fat burners" aka thermogenic cocktails are high-dose caffeine pills mixed with a bunch of extra nonsense thrown in to justify charging $30 for a bottle of caffeine. Caffeine alone is one of the few thermogenics worth a damn. The rest of the crap is going to do practically nothing beyond what some caffeine alone will do. For someone who never uses caffeine, they may see positive effects from a "fat burner", not because the fat burner as a whole is a great product, but because they are taking a bunch of caffeine that they normally don't use. They then attribute this to the product when they could have gotten the same thing out of a $5 bottle of regular old caffeine pills.

"Nevertheless, all supps work if you take it with a dose of expectation bias from believing in their marketing. The placebo effect is the most powerful supplement of all." - AA

Like I said earlier, if someone wants a decent fat burner, go buy a bottle of caffeine pills for $5 and some ephedrine from the drug store. Half the cost, and actually worth a damn.

Take a diuretic they work. HCTZ is easy to get prescribed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lol, you are a supplement company's wet dream (or an employee). Why do you keep giving me these links? Most "fat burners" aka thermogenic cocktails are high-dose caffeine pills mixed with a bunch of extra nonsense thrown in to justify charging $30 for a bottle of caffeine. Caffeine alone is one of the few thermogenics worth a damn. The rest of the crap is going to do practically nothing beyond what some caffeine alone will do. For someone who never uses caffeine, they may see positive effects from a "fat burner", not because the fat burner as a whole is a great product, but because they are taking a bunch of caffeine that they normally don't use. They then attribute this to the product when they could have gotten the same thing out of a $5 bottle of regular old caffeine pills.

"Nevertheless, all supps work if you take it with a dose of expectation bias from believing in their marketing. The placebo effect is the most powerful supplement of all." - AA

Like I said earlier, if someone wants a decent fat burner, go buy a bottle of caffeine pills for $5 and some ephedrine from the drug store. Half the cost, and actually worth a damn.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one calling out this buffoon peddling his snake oil.

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by joebob42 View Post
    Wow! Is your nickname Farty McFartpants?
    basically lmfao