Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Post Raserisk's Classic WoW Boss Guide Hub

Hey everyone, long-time lurker here finally deciding to jump into the forums. I am currently working on building a collection of Boss Guides for Classic WoW based on the information that we have from 2006 and today for the Classic WoW Community!

To date - I've collected research, data and compiled a series of videos for AQ40 and currently Naxxramas with future plans for MC/BWL/Ony/ZG/AQ20. This forum post will be a Hub to update the community with future video releases for those that are interested in learning more about Raid Content in Vanilla/Classic.

What do you think about the challenges that players will face in Classic when encountering raid bosses such as Resistance checks, Consumable checks, Gear checks and so forth compared to Retail today? Will this be enough of a challenge for modern players?

Molten Core

Lucifron
    Magmadar
    Gehennas
    Garr

Blackwing Lair

Nefarian

AQ40

Prophet Skeram
    Sartura
    Fankriss
    Huhuran
    Twin Emperors
    C'Thun

Naxxramas

Sapphiron
    Kel'Thuzad
    Four Horsemen
    Anub'Rekhan

Update: 4/21/2019 || Current Video: Anub'Rekhan
    Last edited by Raserisk; 2019-04-21 at 09:53 PM.

5+ Year Old Account
    Nicely done. Spot-on explanation of the fight. This will come in handy for introducing new recruits to the fight.

As a sidenote, did you guys quit on Anathema? Havnt seen you guys around for quite some time.
    “Listen... Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.” – Dennis

ugh. i hate video guides. As you cant just Ctrl+F your way to what information your after but are forced to watch the whole damn thing...
    I guess its needed for vanilla thou if ur a new player, as there is no easy-mode to run throu to see the bossfights beforehand.
    At least its not fucking 20min long as some obnoxious boss guides out there
    Last edited by Aphrel; 2018-03-31 at 08:56 AM.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aphrel View Post
    ugh. i hate video guides. As you cant just Ctrl+F your way to what information your after but are forced to watch the whole damn thing...
    Ah well, at least its not fucking 20min long as some obnoxious boss guides out there...
    I am not a fan of video guides either, mostly because the people doing them are shit at talking and staying on point. This guide is the opposite of that. It stays entirely on point the whole time and explains the fight with great visuals in a way that is hard to put on paper in plain text.

EDIT: Grammar.
    Last edited by Storfan; 2018-03-31 at 09:08 AM.
    “Listen... Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.” – Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Storfan View Post
    I am not a fan of video guys either, mostly because the people doing them are shit at talking and staying on point. This guide is the opposite of that. It stays entirely on point the whole time and explains the fight with great visuals in a way that is hard to put on paper in plain text.
    Its great for new players im sure. And its a great project.
    hmm, this has me wondering. Did any blue every confirm what actually triggered deep breath on onyxia?

5+ Year Old Account
    Its great for new players im sure. And its a great project.
    hmm, this has me wondering. Did any blue every confirm what actually triggered deep breath on onyxia?
    I dont know if it has ever been confirmed by a bluepost but the popular opinion seems to be that stacking up too much will cause her to do deep breath. I think most private servers atleast use that as a basis to trigger her deep breath.
    Last edited by Storfan; 2018-03-31 at 09:45 AM.

I guess its needed for vanilla thou if ur a new player, as there is no easy-mode to run throu to see the bossfights beforehand.
    I love video guides. I can just watch it on my Ipad or phone while doing the dishes or something similiarly menial.

Quote Originally Posted by Storfan View Post
    Nicely done. Spot-on explanation of the fight. This will come in handy for introducing new recruits to the fight.

As a sidenote, did you guys quit on Anathema? Havnt seen you guys around for quite some time.
    After the Classic Announcement the guild moved over to Lightbringer to continue playing Vanilla - thanks for your thoughts!

Most fights in Vanilla can be described with a 2-3 minute video as the majority of them are rinse repeat and there were not many fights that were multiphase beyond the final bosses of an instance.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaelexi View Post
    Most fights in Vanilla can be described with a 2-3 minute video as the majority of them are rinse repeat and there were not many fights that were multiphase beyond the final bosses of an instance.
    The really great thing about Vanilla raids was that these kind of guides weren't available.
    Having all them available, kinda contradicts the whole point of progressing through them.

That being said, with the list of abilities on just bosses, any decent guide would take way longer to explain.

Doing it for the simpler fights, isnt even necessary.

Try doing it for 4H, gothik or KT, hell even just covering it all on raz or anub would be hard in 2-3 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by epLe View Post
    The really great thing about Vanilla raids was that these kind of guides weren't available.
    Having all them available, kinda contradicts the whole point of progressing through them.

That being said, with the list of abilities on just bosses, any decent guide would take way longer to explain.

Doing it for the simpler fights, isnt even necessary.

Try doing it for 4H, gothik or KT, hell even just covering it all on raz or anub would be hard in 2-3 minutes.
    That is why I said most, yes there are a couple fights that would take make. 4h you would have to do decide between the 6 and 8 tank strat. Describe each horseman and their abilities and then describe the tank rotations. At most 5 mins.

Anub would be a fast video, describe how to handle the adds and scarabs, how to handle the locust swarm(kite around the room when he crouches) and impale easy 3 min video.
    Raz would be quick too, the longest part is the explaining the mind rotation everything after that is tank and spank
    Gothik will be longer cebause it is 2 fights adds and boss, longest part is the add phase which lasts 3 minutes and then the boss is quick.

I get that these are made to further improve the quality of video guides of Classic content. Something i whould like to see more of are what Fatboss did with a few raids. Namely their [60 Second Raid Guides by FatbossTV]. Basicly explain everything you need to know about a raid instance within a minute.

5+ Year Old Account
    Nicely done sir! Keep up the solid work.

I've played since early 2005, and while I was in a raiding guild, I didn't really touch AQ or Naxx at all. Even after clearing all the other content, I know there are things I don't remember. I barely remembered Garr's bomb, and on a recent Tmog run I got blasted away. I remember Nef had class calls, but I don't remember what they individually were anymore. I've done Wrath Naxx at level, but I don't know if all the mechanics in Wrath were the same as they were in Classic.

These will be good for new players, but just as valuable for people like me who may have forgotten mechanics (as basic as some may be) and also who need to re-learn bosses that are not faceroll anymore and under the new/old restraints of our classes as they were back in the day. I'm not planning to race my way to cap and blast through content asap. I'm going to enjoy the experience, soak up as much as possible, and when I get to cap, I'm glad I'll have things like this to prep myself. I love that this community has so many passionate dedicated members churning out quality content!

5+ Year Old Account
    Really dig your stuff even though I'm currently not playing any kind of classic content.

Keep em coming! These are really entertaining and informational

15+ Year Old Account
    But... but... how can I relive 2004 if there are all these tactics and guide videos are thrown in my face?
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

Quote Originally Posted by mrgummage View Post
    But... but... how can I relive 2004 if there are all these tactics and guide videos are thrown in my face?
    These guides and videos will be around no matter what happens, it is how modern video gaming works.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaelexi View Post
    These guides and videos will be around no matter what happens, it is how modern video gaming works.
    Sorry I forgot my sarcasm font.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

OP updated with new Boss Guide featuring Kel'Thuzad - the final raid boss of Classic World of Warcraft.

Kel'Thuzad was the final boss of Vanilla but was he the hardest? Classic was a unique version of World of Warcraft in which there wasn't a single "arch-enemy" that we faced - instead we were adventurers traveling across the world facing many threats from Molten Core, Blackwing Lair, AQ and then finally Naxxramas.

Was Kel'Thuzad a fitting end to this version of this game? Or if you had the opportunity would you change how things ended in Classic?
    Last edited by Raserisk; 2018-04-27 at 11:20 AM.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raserisk View Post
    OP updated with new Boss Guide featuring Kel'Thuzad - the final raid boss of Classic World of Warcraft.

Kel'Thuzad was the final boss of Vanilla but was he the hardest? Classic was a unique version of World of Warcraft in which there wasn't a single "arch-enemy" that we faced - instead we were adventures traveling across the world facing many threats from Molten Core, Blackwing Lair, AQ and then finally Naxxramas.

Was Kel'Thuzad a fitting end to this version of this game? Or if you had the opportunity would you change how things ended in Classic?
    Lorewise, I think Cthun or Ragnaros would make the ultimate endboss of vanilla. From a fun perspective, Naxx is ALOT more fun than any previous raid though so I guess its nice if vanilla ends with a bang.