Page 1 of 2
LastLast

bout to overclock. any tips ?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/TpqFJV

with a msi 1050 ti gfx card.

any programs i should download?

temp ranges i should be shooting for?

any other tips?

ty for any answers and suggestions in advance.

- - - Updated - - -

ill check back tomorrow.

Remember adequate cooling

i might have miss represented my ability to overclock in the OP . im new to it and need help . anyone able to give me a quick guide and run through? i checked the sticky and diddnt see it.

First of all check your current temperatures for a baseline. Make sure to also note all your current bios settings and if you can save thar profiel so you can easily put it back

Overclocking your CPU is done in the bios, no special software is needed, do make sure you run the latest version. If you overclock a little usually just changing the multiplier will do, if you want do get the max out of it, you may need to adjust voltages etc.. but this will take a lot of trial and error.

For your GPU download MSI's afterburner software, try googeling around to see what others managed to do with the same card as you have and use that as a guide

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xecks View Post
    i might have miss represented my ability to overclock in the OP . im new to it and need help . anyone able to give me a quick guide and run through? i checked the sticky and diddnt see it.
    I found guides on youtube to be particulary helpful to get the fundamentals down. Watch a few of them to get different angles on it then dip your toe in, the water's warm.

ty on the replies so far . ill look on youtube too.

OC in small increments and run your tests, like Prime95 to make sure you're stable and temps are good before you go higher.
    Last edited by Merilwen; 2018-04-07 at 07:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Merilwen View Post
    OC in small increments and run your tests, like Prime95 to make sure you're stable and temps are good before you go higher.
    prime95? ok . what other software do i need? like to check my cpu temps.

btw im only gonna oc my cpu.

ty much!

idk about a good program to check temps since I have an eVGA MB that comes with its own utility.

prime95? ok . what other software do i need? like to check my cpu temps.
    Hwinfo64 is used a lot and pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    Hwinfo64 is used a lot and pretty good.
    ty ill look into that.

are there temp ranges i should be looking at ? like max temp is what? or whatever.

ty ill look into that.

are there temp ranges i should be looking at ? like max temp is what? or whatever.
    Hwinfo64 has the temps you are running at and also how far you are from tjmax and if you are thermal throttling.

10+ Year Old Account
    I use Core Temp for temperatures.

15+ Year Old Account
    Intel XTU

I use it to get where I want and actually can then set my settings in the bios. Monitors temps etc as well.

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    Intel XTU

I use it to get where I want and actually can then set my settings in the bios. Monitors temps etc as well.
    Intel XTU works really well. I use that and Aida64. Prime95 puts to much unrealistic stress on the CPU and creates to much heat
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post
    Intel XTU works really well. I use that and Aida64. Prime95 puts to much unrealistic stress on the CPU and creates to much heat
    Aida64 and prime95 are meant to put unrealistic loads on your processor thats why they are used. Worst case scenario testing for stability. And again, creating heat is the goal of these. It tests your cooling and over all system stability.

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythbredor View Post
    Aida64 and prime95 are meant to put unrealistic loads on your processor thats why they are used. Worst case scenario testing for stability. And again, creating heat is the goal of these. It tests your cooling and over all system stability.
    I know, but Prime95 takes it to the extremes and there is no reason for that. Aida64 is all you need and is more healthy for your CPU if you run it for 12+ hours
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

looks like i gotta call off overclocking for now. turns out i diddnt have case fans in the build i got from here lol. gotta rectify that when i get paid . sitting at 73c temps and a bit lower on other cores ahh well gotta get that fixed. ty all for the replies.

Remember prime95 stable doesn't mean stable. Aida64 stable doesn't mean stable.

Different programs stress the CPU differently. 247/7 clocks don't need to be overly aggressive for performance gains.

A little voltage makes a huge difference.

Also remember silicon lottery. Sometimes you get a dud chip and can't get your target clock without a major step when other people get it effortlessly.

- - - Updated - - -

looks like i gotta call off overclocking for now. turns out i diddnt have case fans in the build i got from here lol. gotta rectify that when i get paid . sitting at 73c temps and a bit lower on other cores ahh well gotta get that fixed. ty all for the replies.
    Is that 73 stock or clocked?
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

15+ Year Old Account
    Your case has an exhaust fan. You don't need much more than that unless you are going to the extreme or the case will be full with multiple GPUs and what not. Overclock it and add a few fans to the front later. Also, case fans are like $5.

Is 73c while stress testing with prime or aida? If that is at idle, turn it off because you've done something wrong.