Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    Never got what was wrong with polygamy.
    That’s not really an awnser, if a bunch of woman want to marry one guy sure that in theory there are less woman to go around but in theory thoses women might have not got married at all. Not to mention in modern day you can see places like Japan where there are a lot of men without women but are not huge military forces.
    Back in the day it was purely religious.

Today, I think there would be an argument for, similar to the OP, the burden on modern welfare states. Most practitioners of polygamy are religious and their religion is patriarchal. So it is usually a male breadwinner with multiple female spouses and a plethora of children. If something were to happen to that one male, the state would bear the financial burden of what is essentially several families worth of people.

Though in many cases, especially in the US, the bans are still based on religious reasoning.

Deleted
    That’s not really an awnser, if a bunch of woman want to marry one guy sure that in theory there are less woman to go around but in theory thoses women might have not got married at all. Not to mention in modern day you can see places like Japan where there are a lot of men without women but are not huge military forces.
    Through history, that is how many a raid or invasion started. Men who failed to find women, go to some other place to find those women, usually though violence. There is nothing theoretical about this, it is simple math. Father of sociology and demography, Ibn Khaldun wrote about this subject.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Prabog View Post
    Through history, that is how many a raid or invasion started. Men who failed to find women, go to some other place to find those women, usually though violence. There is nothing theoretical about this, it is simple math. Father of sociology and demography, Ibn Khaldun wrote about this subject.
    Though history ya but times change today isn’t really comparable as we already have large amount of single men who are not raiding or invading any thing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Back in the day it was purely religious.

Today, I think there would be an argument for, similar to the OP, the burden on modern welfare states. Most practitioners of polygamy are religious and their religion is patriarchal. So it is usually a male breadwinner with multiple female spouses and a plethora of children. If something were to happen to that one male, the state would bear the financial burden of what is essentially several families worth of people.

Though in many cases, especially in the US, the bans are still based on religious reasoning.
    I could see that but you could also argue it would make more sense now then in the past As there’s nothing stopping the women involved from taking the place as bread winner which they might have not been able to do in the past.

This is not nation bashing, this is not religion bashing, this is not race/ethnicity bashing. This is a discussion about cultural norms that harm people and what should or shouldn't be done about them.

Saw this on the documentary subreddit and was just curious what you guys thought about the situation and the tolerance of harmful cultural practices.

TL;DW:
    - Over half of British-Pakistanis marry their first cousins, in some areas its as high as 75%. (Also prevalent among British-Bangladeshis and several other much smaller communities/populations.)
    - Many are forced into these marriages by their families.
    - The likelihood of their children suffering from rare genetic abnormalities/diseases is significantly increased relative to the general population, due to inbreeding.
    - 1/3 of children in the UK with a rare genetic diseases are British-Pakistani, despite being only 1.5% of the population (as of a few years ago when the documentary aired).
    - The incidence of cousin marriages among these communities has been increasing in recent decades, not decreasing (once again, as of the airing of the documentary).
    - Politicians and even health professionals, by and large, refuse to challenge the practice for fear of being accused of racism and ruining their careers.

---
    Personally I think its a bit crazy that this is tolerated to such a degree, especially given the UK's universal healthcare system and pretty robust safety nets, since its the state/tax payers that bear all the financial responsibility for this harmful cultural practice. Not to mention the miserable and debilitating lives these kids are condemned to live... So even if money was no object, which it most certainly is, the practice should still be ended, in my opinion.

What is your opinion? Whether on this or other harmful cultural practices in general?
    You can't legally marry a sibling or first cousin in the US. Seems like a solid plan. #solved

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hezar View Post
    In Rome, do as the Romans do
    Not really working advice when our taking about places with multiple cultures like America.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Japan found the ultimate solution: waifus.

You know, aside from their declining birth rates that are going to seriously affect their culture and economy soon if they don't take more steps to reverse it.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    Japan found the ultimate solution: waifus.

You know, aside from their declining birth rates that are going to seriously affect their culture and economy soon if they don't take more steps to reverse it.
    Mabye the waifus are there new military force why use single men when you can use anime.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Mabye the waifus are there new military force why use single men when you can use anime.
    My god... it makes so much sense now!

It's hard to define harmful. Many religious people see a lack of religion as harmful.

If someone of reasonable legal age decides to do something in regards to their life - whether it be get a piercing or wear a burka - that's up to them. If we're talking about cultural practices that impact children... that's different. Tolerance would depend on the actual practice. Not allowing equal schooling and access to the world... that type of stuff concerns me greatly.

Quote Originally Posted by DSRilk View Post
    It's hard to define harmful. Many religious people see a lack of religion as harmful. If someone of reasonable legal age decides to do something in regards to their life - whether it be get a piercing or wear a burka - that's up to them. If we're talking about cultural practices that impact children... that's different. Tolerance would depend on the actual practice. Not allowing equal schooling and access to the world... that type of stuff concerns me greatly.
    Yeah..on your first point. Need to define "harmful."

Though history ya but times change today isn’t really comparable as we already have large amount of single men who are not raiding or invading any thing.
    Do you know that one of the biggest risk factor to becoming a criminal? Being a man along with being single. That is one of the biggest risk factors to becoming a criminal.

They've also done research on it and found that in areas where men can't find partners, there's more crime and conflict.
    Last edited by Player Twelve; 2018-04-18 at 05:15 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Player Twelve View Post
    Do you know that one of the biggest risk factor to becoming a criminal? Being a man along with being single. That is one of the biggest risk factors to becoming a criminal.

They've also done research on it and found that in areas where men can't find partners, there's more crime and conflict.
    Do places with mass amount of single men reflect that like Japan?

I suggest you actually read up on it instead of going "b-b-b-b-b-but this and this".

Biggest risk factor is actually financial stability.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilhen7 View Post
    Biggest risk factor is actually financial stability.
    Did I say the biggest? No, I said one of the biggest.

7+ Year Old Account
    I suggest you actually read up on it instead of going "b-b-b-b-b-but this and this".
    I didn’t say but any thing I asked you a question, what’s the point of even posting if your just gonna instantly deflect from a simple question? It shouldn’t be hard to say yes or no if you have already read up on it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Conversely, there are places like Russia with a shortage of men and where men have a pretty easy time getting a partner, yet it has a plethora of crime.

I didn’t say but any thing I asked you a question, what’s the point of even posting if your just gonna instantly deflect from a simple question? It shouldn’t be hard to say yes or no if you have already read up on it.
    What's the point of even posting about something you haven't even read up on? You're just like "b-b-but this and this" trying to dismiss it without even knowing anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    You can't legally marry a sibling or first cousin in the US. Seems like a solid plan. #solved
    You would be wrong:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cousin...tates_by_state

7+ Year Old Account
    Conversely, there are places like Russia with a shortage of men and where men have a pretty easy time getting a partner, yet it has a plethora of crime.
    I didn’t know Russia had a shortage of men, is there a general reason why?

- - - Updated - - -

What's the point of even posting about something you haven't even read up on? You're just like "b-b-but this and this" trying to dismiss it without even knowing anything.
    So again you deflect, the only one saying “but this and that” is you. It’s a simple yes or no question does the higher crime rate for single men reflect some where like Japan which is known for having a ton. Yes or no.