Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Monitor buying advice?

hey all, in the market for a new monitor, and got my eye on https://www.amazon.com/24-inch-FreeS...BKHPXH3Z4&th=1

the 75hz 24inch variant with the stand, as it is affordable. I feel like though the other extra features such as dual hdmi connections (which i will never use) bring up the price.

So ive come to mmo champion in search of advice. A ideal monitor would be 27inch with 144hz and a 1ms response time. I personally dont care for any free sync monitors, as i can just use v-sync in games. I would be willing to spend a little more than current, probably a budget of ~$250. A stand would also be nice as i like my chair sitting at max height. Any suggestions, or is what im looking at the best bang for my buck?

My suggestion would be to save just a bit more money and get a gsync monitor:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HSD6CBC/?tag=pcpapi-20

Sub 300 dollar gsync monitors are basically unheard of so this is on a really good sale. While gsync is not as noticeable as 144hz is, its one of those things that once you have can never go back. The best way to explain gsync to someone is that its a 60hz vsync experience at any fps from 30-144. A standard 144hz monitor is fine but there will be stuttering if you drop below your monitors refresh rate, which will of course happen a lot in WoW.

If you cant come up with the extra cash this is a decent standard 144hz model with a height adjustable stand:
    https://pcpartpicker.com/product/ZBZ...onitor-g2460pf

Does not matter that it has freesync that does not impact anything just because you have an nvidia GPU.

Sort of sucks that GSync monitors are so expensive. I personally wouldn't go for that monitor you listed since it is only 75hz and I'd go for a 144hz.

I have an old 23 inch Acer N233HU TN panel at 59hz. Been eyeing this one https://www.amazon.com/MSI-FreeSync-.../dp/B072JZ66T3 I can get it at a local store called Microcenter for $200. Looks good. Hope it is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by darkvexen View Post
    hey all, in the market for a new monitor, and got my eye on https://www.amazon.com/24-inch-FreeS...BKHPXH3Z4&th=1

the 75hz 24inch variant with the stand, as it is affordable. I feel like though the other extra features such as dual hdmi connections (which i will never use) bring up the price.

So ive come to mmo champion in search of advice. A ideal monitor would be 27inch with 144hz and a 1ms response time. I personally dont care for any free sync monitors, as i can just use v-sync in games. I would be willing to spend a little more than current, probably a budget of ~$250. A stand would also be nice as i like my chair sitting at max height. Any suggestions, or is what im looking at the best bang for my buck?
    Since monitor is something I stare at whenever I am using computer, it's one of the most important things to me. That being said, I can only advice getting 1440p 27" over 24" 1080p, both at 60hz, size and resolution is more important than refresh rate, when you have low budget.
    Last edited by Cyrops; 2018-04-17 at 10:07 AM.
    PM me weird stuff :3

10+ Year Old Account
    so the monitor i listed, it will stutter if i drop below 75fps since its freesynce and i have a nvidia card? kinda of worrisome since i only have a 1050ti, and i do play other games than wow.

so the monitor i listed, it will stutter if i drop below 75fps since its freesynce and i have a nvidia card? kinda of worrisome since i only have a 1050ti, and i do play other games than wow.
    Yes you will get stutter if you drop below 75 fps as it will be halved (thats how vsync works). Trust me its worth saving a bit to get a gsync monitor, it will last you a lot longer than your 1050ti will and will be ready for whatever gpu upgrade you do years from now.

Gsync monitors actually make the most sense when paired with lower end GPU's.

no monitor is really 1ms lag the best ones that are branded 1ms are 9ms in reality and most 1m monitors are 15ms or some thing terrible. also while your at it all cherry based keyboards lag 30ms and razers lag 15ms.. I got a 30$ keyboard from china that lags 0.2ms

be smart.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by He-man View Post
    no monitor is really 1ms lag the best ones that are branded 1ms are 9ms in reality and most 1m monitors are 15ms or some thing terrible. also while your at it all cherry based keyboards lag 30ms and razers lag 15ms.. I got a 30$ keyboard from china that lags 0.2ms

be smart.
    rip so my professional first person shooter career is over?

I am on the same way of a new monitor soon cause mine is dying..(Capacitor and i cant be bothered to fix it, i need an excuse to buy myself a present :P).

You can either go for a default 144Hz monitor at 250$ like the new AoC one that came out last week.

Or you can push to 400$+ for Gsync+ 144Hz, the Dell models and AoC ones are quite decent.

GPU wont matter cause you will replace it sooner or later, a 1050Ti doesnt last long if you plan to play whatever FPS comes out 2 years from now from the big names.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Yes you will get stutter if you drop below 75 fps as it will be halved (thats how vsync works). Trust me its worth saving a bit to get a gsync monitor, it will last you a lot longer than your 1050ti will and will be ready for whatever gpu upgrade you do years from now.

Gsync monitors actually make the most sense when paired with lower end GPU's.
    I may be repeating myself, but just want to be clear. So free sync will not allow my monitor to match my ingame fps because i have a nvidia gpu? i read somewhere that free-sync is compatible with nvidia cards, but doesn't allow active sync, but then that confuses me because isn't the point of any x-sync is for active sync? ( which i assume active sync is making your monitor match your ingame fps)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    I am on the same way of a new monitor soon cause mine is dying..(Capacitor and i cant be bothered to fix it, i need an excuse to buy myself a present :P).

You can either go for a default 144Hz monitor at 250$ like the new AoC one that came out last week.

Or you can push to 400$+ for Gsync+ 144Hz, the Dell models and AoC ones are quite decent.

GPU wont matter cause you will replace it sooner or later, a 1050Ti doesnt last long if you plan to play whatever FPS comes out 2 years from now from the big names.
    mine is a strix and manually overclocked, and high settings are just fine with me compared to ultra. however i do plan to upgrade to a 1060 6gb in about a year or so.

I may be repeating myself, but just want to be clear. So free sync will not allow my monitor to match my ingame fps because i have a nvidia gpu? i read somewhere that free-sync is compatible with nvidia cards, but doesn't allow active sync, but then that confuses me because isn't the point of any x-sync is for active sync? ( which i assume active sync is making your monitor match your ingame fps)

- - - Updated - - -

mine is a strix and overcloked, and high settings are just fine with me compared to ultra. however i do plan to upgrade to a 1060 6gb in about a year or so.
    What?

In a year or so, the next generation will be out either way, so 1060 will be old news, secondly why would you ever waste money from a 1050 Ti to a 1060? Yes, there is a difference, probably up to 30%, but 1060 will be low levels in 2 years also.

Dont make that mistake..Just get your screen now, and whatever card comes out in a few months, probably either 2070/1170 or whatever they name the series, you can upgrade to that and be safe for 4-5 years.

- - - Updated - - -

mine is a strix and manually overclocked, and high settings are just fine with me compared to ultra. however i do plan to upgrade to a 1060 6gb in about a year or so.
    Get freesync out of your head it has nothing to do with it . You can still use vsync on a freesync monitor as well as other nvidia technologies like fast sync/adaptive sync etc, but gsync is a superior syncing tech to all of them.

10+ Year Old Account
    What?

In a year or so, the next generation will be out either way, so 1060 will be old news, secondly why would you ever waste money from a 1050 Ti to a 1060? Yes, there is a difference, probably up to 30%, but 1060 will be low levels in 2 years also.

Dont make that mistake..Just get your screen now, and whatever card comes out in a few months, probably either 2070/1170 or whatever they name the series, you can upgrade to that and be safe for 4-5 years.
    oh yeah, forgot about the new series coming. Still, i think people underestimate the longevity and power of gpus. Ultra settings arent everything. anyways back to my monitor

oh yeah, forgot about the new series coming. Still, i think people underestimate the longevity and power of gpus. Ultra settings arent everything. anyways back to my monitor
    You are underestimating the new pointless crap they showed last year and this year that are gonna end up in games in 2 years to make them passively heavier to make cards like 1060 barely run Medium.

10+ Year Old Account
    doing some more research, and got a question.
    Gsync is out of budget, so ill probably end up going with https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BV1XBEI/?tag=pcpapi-20 . I can disable freesync, so there is one issue solved.

But since it is 144hz, and lets say im getting only 72 fps in a game, would the lag and stutter be noticeable as a lets say a 60hz monitor with a game running at 30fps?
    or does 72 fps on a 144hz monitor still look better than 60fps on a 60hz monitor?

Also, correct me if im wrong, but doesn't tearing only occur if you go above your monitors refresh rate? so there is no need for vsync since i will rarely go above 144fps with a 1050ti.

My main worry is buying a high refresh rate monitor and experiencing worse game play compared to a 60hz since my gpu isn't that great.

Gsync is out of budget, so ill probably end up going with https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BV1XBEI/?tag=pcpapi-20 . I can disable freesync, so there is one issue solved.

But since it is 144hz, and lets say im getting only 72 fps in a game, would the lag and stutter be noticeable as a lets say a 60hz monitor with a game running at 30fps?
    or does 72 fps on a 144hz monitor still look better than 60fps on a 60hz monitor?

Also, correct me if im wrong, but doesn't tearing only occur if you go above your monitors refresh rate? so there is no need for vsync since i will rarely go above 144fps with a 1050ti.

My main worry is buying a high refresh rate monitor and experiencing worse game play compared to a 60hz since my gpu isn't that great.
    I am telling you, save your money. Vsync at 60hz is a BETTER EXPERIENCE than a 144hz monitor that isnt synced in WoW. Shooters people probably wont notice the stutter as much. I originally bought a asus vg248qe and returned it because it was not as smooth as my 60hz vsynced monitor, only until i got a gsync monitor did i realize what i was missing, its the best of both worlds (smoothness of 144hz, and the fluid 60 hz vsync experience when you can always cap it).

You wont have many issues unless it dips repeatedly and too fast from to below 30-40 all the time.

I play on those monitors for 3 years now, the 27' version and in WoW cause WoW is a shit game in that matter, it goes to below 40 FPS all the time, never notice anything different mostly because WoW doesnt go up and down a lot, its simply low

The monitors have many more things than just "144Hz" as to why they are better than a default 60Hz.

Also that monitor is the old model, the newer one literally released last week , its the same exact thing just with a newer panel basically and costs the same averagely, obviously thats why the old model is on sale :P

The new models are G2590PX and G2790PX.

If you are planning to change GPU when they release, go with a 144Hz screen, WoW or not.

10+ Year Old Account
    You wont have many issues unless it dips repeatedly and too fast from to below 30-40 all the time.

I play on those monitors for 3 years now, the 27' version and in WoW cause WoW is a shit game in that matter, it goes to below 40 FPS all the time, never notice anything different mostly because WoW doesnt go up and down a lot, its simply low

The monitors have many more things than just "144Hz" as to why they are better than a default 60Hz.

Also that monitor is the old model, the newer one literally released last week , its the same exact thing just with a newer panel basically and costs the same averagely, obviously thats why the old model is on sale :P

The new models are G2590PX and G2790PX.

If you are planning to change GPU when they release, go with a 144Hz screen, WoW or not.
    newer one is 400$ on amazon.
    But good to note. others on this forum seem to disagree, but ill trust the guy who actually plays on the monitors.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    I am telling you, save your money. Vsync at 60hz is a BETTER EXPERIENCE than a 144hz monitor that isnt synced in WoW. Shooters people probably wont notice the stutter as much. I originally bought a asus vg248qe and returned it because it was not as smooth as my 60hz vsynced monitor, only until i got a gsync monitor did i realize what i was missing, its the best of both worlds (smoothness of 144hz, and the fluid 60 hz vsync experience when you can always cap it).
    I dont turn on vsync for wow even with my 60hz monitor, i just cap the fps at 99.

But good to note. others on this forum seem to disagree, but ill trust the guy who actually plays on the monitors.

- - - Updated - - -

I dont turn on vsync for wow even with my 60hz monitor, i just cap the fps at 99.
    Probably out of stock, just checked the UK one and the price is correct, something like 250-270$.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AOC-G2590PX.../dp/B078S36M7Y

- - - Updated - - -

Ya if you dont notice tearing or stuttering with vsync off i dont even know why you are concerned about a 144hz monitor without gsync. Guess it comes down to each person, i always played with it on when i had my 60 hz monitor, looked terrible to my eyes otherwise.