Poll: Legal requirement for informed parental notification before underage abortion?

Page 34 of 38 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenjen View Post
    Condemning a vulnerable underage girl to death? Wonderful. These are children...

There are literally large hills full of young womens corpses who have died because of these circumstances and notions.

"She got herself into that situation" is a sickening over generalization responsible for the death of countless of women and girls who deserved better. Callously condemned by faux "morality" and thoughtless self righteousness

Rather not have more examples of irish mass graves
    You are using my own argument... to try and prove the opposite.
    That's my point. They are children, they need guidance, and the closest person they should turn to is their parents.

We are arguing fringe cases, where the parents would disown (or worse) the child for accidentally getting pregnant. I don't think that's a good basis for laws.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Seirith View Post
    I know a girl who got pregnant at 15 after being raped, her parents REFUSED to let her have an abortion, the forced her to have the child and would not let her out of their sight until she was past the point of having an abortion so no one else could take her. She was miserable, depressed and after that baby was born she wanted nothing to do with it. In the end she ran away for a while and tried to kill herself. I'm not sure how she is doing now, I haven't seen in in a very long time, she stopped volunteering after she was released from the hospital and her parents refused phone calls or to let her see anyone until "she was better". I felt horrible for her.
    Rape is also a fringe case, an extreme circumstance. We shouldn't lump it together with immature unprotected sex.
    As I said I only want to INFORM the parents, not let them have a say in keeping the fetus.

Quote Originally Posted by WskyDK View Post
    Were it my daughter; I'd prefer she got an abortion in secret (safely), than carry out an unwanted pregnancy because she was afraid to tell me she wanted to terminate the pregnancy.
    And if she gets that secret abortion, and hides bleeding from you because she doesn't want you to know she got pregnant, doesn't get medical attention and dies from complications of some kind... that's good too.

Quote Originally Posted by Raqubor View Post
    You are using my own argument... to try and prove the opposite.
    That's my point. They are children, they need guidance, and the closest person they should turn to is their parents.

We are arguing fringe cases, where the parents would disown (or worse) the child for accidentally getting pregnant. I don't think that's a good basis for laws.

- - - Updated - - -

Rape is also a fringe case, an extreme circumstance. We shouldn't lump it together with immature unprotected sex.
    As I said I only want to INFORM the parents, not let them have a say in keeping the fetus.
    What is your purpose of informing the parents after the fact? It would only cause conflict in most cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Hell no. There's crazy religious parents our there. Her body her choice.
    Do you let your 16 year old daughter drop out of high school, start smoking cigarettes, and begin prostituting? It's her body, her choice.

Or do you have to admit that you're being a zealot on a political issue, and that teens really don't grasp the importance on the rest of their life that their current choices make? Or at least that a teen should get input from parents to help them make wise and informed decisions.

You can support the idea teens should get input from their parents, and still support abortion.
    Last edited by Narwal; 2018-04-19 at 04:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Narwal View Post
    Do you let your 16 year old daughter drop out of high school, start smoking cigarettes, and begin prostituting? It's her body, her choice.

Or do you have to admit that you're being a zealot on a political issue, and that teens really don't grasp the importance on the rest of their life that their current choices make?

What's the negative impact of having a baby before your ready / mature enough? Versus negative impact of having an abortion.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilhen7 View Post
    What is your purpose of informing the parents after the fact? It would only cause conflict in most cases.
    Yes it would cause conflict.
    As I wrote already, the truth always comes out in the end, sooner or later. Face the problem now and take responsibility for your actions / mistakes.
    You think people can live their lives while hiding a secret like that from their parents? It will eat them up from the inside.

Because abortion, like any other medical procedure, can have complications. Maybe the facility is not maintained well and your daughter gets a staff infection, and because the parents don't know about the procedure and the girl doesn't want them to know, the girl receives no treatment and dies.

Quote Originally Posted by Raqubor View Post
    Yes it would cause conflict.
    As I wrote already, the truth always comes out in the end, sooner or later. Face the problem now and take responsibility for your actions / mistakes.
    You think people can live their lives while hiding a secret like that from their parents? It will eat them up from the inside.
    Only for someone that's very religious.

Does it eat up a non religious 30 year old when she gets an abortion if she doesn't inform her entire family? Nope.

What's the negative impact of having a baby before your ready / mature enough? Versus negative impact of having an abortion.
    I'm not giving the pros or cons of keeping a baby or having an abortion. I'm giving the pros or cons of having an abortion secretly, as a child, and informing no one around you.

Because abortion, like any other medical procedure, can have complications. Maybe the facility is not maintained well and your daughter gets a staff infection, and because the parents don't know about the procedure and the girl doesn't want them to know, the girl receives no treatment and dies.

It can also cause psychological issues, that if no one else knows about... could lead to teen suicide. Many girls/women have remorse from abortion. They don't understand how they will feel after all is said and done. A teen getting pregnant is a very stressful situation, going through it alone, even if abortion is the answer... is not healthy for the girl.
    Last edited by Narwal; 2018-04-19 at 04:07 PM.

Alright, then require a follow up visit to the doctor.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Antiganon View Post
    If you want to argue that abortion should be legal, but require the consent of the impregnating man, you are completely batshit crazy and have zero logical grounds to stand on, your position is 100% blatant misogyny.
    While the position you're arguing against is stupid, I don't think "misogyny" is the work you're looking for.

Alright, then require a follow up visit to the doctor.
    How are you going to enforce that? Call her parents?

What if the facility has mistreated or caused irreparable harm? Doesn't the 16 year old who doesn't want anyone to know about her abortion, have no voice? Because to raise ones voice about real issues of treatment, would expose her... it's basically black-mailing her into any conditions the facility that performed the abortion wants to conduct. It's no different than the conditions of a black market.
    Last edited by Narwal; 2018-04-19 at 04:13 PM.

What if the facility has mistreated or caused irreparable harm? Doesn't the 16 year old who doesn't want anyone to know about her abortion, have no voice? Because to raise ones voice about real issues of treatment, would expose her... it's basically black-mailing her into any conditions the facility that performed the abortion wants to conduct. It's no different than the conditions of a black market.
    You call the minor and tell her to come in for her check up...

The situation you described still applies when the teenagers parents are informed, because they would not want the information spreading further.

Only for someone that's very religious.

Does it eat up a non religious 30 year old when she gets an abortion if she doesn't inform her entire family? Nope.
    Speak not of what you know not.

Abortion, regardless of circumstances or religious beliefs, can be incredibly devastating to a woman who undergoes it.

Maybe the girl really wants to be a mom, but knows that she can't give a child the life it deserves, so she has an abortion, and spends the rest of her life wondering what her baby would have looked like. Maybe every time she sees a child she thinks "I could have a child this age if I had done things differently".

I've already answered the OT question, but please consider that if you haven't had an abortion (or at the very least been very close with someone who has) you have absolutely no business talking about the emotional impacts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Woods View Post
    LOL never change guys. I guess you won't because conservatism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I do care what people on this forum think of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    This site is amazing. It's comments like this, that make this site amazing.

Speak not of what you know not.

Abortion, regardless of circumstances or religious beliefs, can be incredibly devastating to a woman who undergoes it.

Maybe the girl really wants to be a mom, but knows that she can't give a child the life it deserves, so she has an abortion, and spends the rest of her life wondering what her baby would have looked like. Maybe every time she sees a child she thinks "I could have a child this age if I had done things differently".

I've already answered the OT question, but please consider that if you haven't had an abortion (or at the very least been very close with someone who has) you have absolutely no business talking about the emotional impacts.
    You didn't read my post correctly.

It can be devastating, but not for the reason he stated. He stated that keeping the secret would eat them up.

It's almost like we have government agencies whose job it is to inspect medical facilities and confirm that they are fit to provide services.
    It's almost like somebody could file a complaint against a facility that didn't meet those standards, and could do so as a "doe", not appearing in any public records.
    It's almost like a person who contracted a disease or similar from one of those facilities could seek medical attention at any hospital.
    It's almost like a person seeking treatment for one of those complications could choose not to disclose that to their parents if they wanted.
    It's almost like we already have a system in place that handles the exact boogeyman scenario you are talking about.

- - - Updated - - -

You didn't read my post correctly.

It can be devastating, but not for the reason he stated. He stated that keeping the secret would eat them up.
    If her family starts casually talking about abortion right in front of her, not realizing she had one?

Absolutely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Woods View Post
    LOL never change guys. I guess you won't because conservatism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I do care what people on this forum think of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    This site is amazing. It's comments like this, that make this site amazing.

If her family starts casually talking about abortion right in front of her, not realizing she had one?

Absolutely.
    I understand what your saying, I'm sure it could bother someone. But the fact that she didn't tell her family will probably not keep her up late very often.

Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    Some states like Delaware, Florida and Georgia require pregnant teens to inform a parent of their decision to get an abortion. While I personally don't see this as problematic (if I was a parent of a 16 year old that got pregnant, I would definitely want to know) but I was more curious about people's thoughts and whether I could build up a general consensus on people's opinions on youth reproductive rights.

To reinterate, this is only asking if parents should be required to be informed. This is not asking whether or not the parents should have the ability to consent to their teenage daughter getting an abortion.
    Not sure why you singled out one particular medical procedure for one gender. As far as I am aware, US doctors are not allowed to perform any medical procedure on any US minor, boy or girl, without their parents permission because the parents are legally responsible for them until they are not minors.

wish we coudl see the ages of people voting no.

indoctrinated millennial progressives undoubtedly.

sorry - in this country your under myc are until 18. therefore you have no privacy.

p.s. its a medical procedure and im responsible for that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Zubacz View Post
    Are you guys serious? You are saying 9 months of inconvenience and medical bills is reason enough to abort a child, when there is a caring parent willing to take care of it when it is born? Excluding extreme cases of rape, pregnancy is a result of a conscious decision to have sex. Two people make this decision. If one is willing to make the sacrifice of 20 years, the other should make the sacrifice of 9 months. And yeah, I'm pretty sure if the father is willing to solely take care of the child, he'd participate in the medical bills.
    It's not just 'inconvenience'. It can have permanent detrimental effects on body and mind, especially when it's forced upon a young girl. It's barbaric.