Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I would love this, I hate leveling. so this is an Ideal situation for me.

No matter how much you love what you do, you are always looking for a reward. Not the pleasure, but an actual reward.

No matter how much you love your job, you want the money in the end.

No matter how much you love questing, you want something to push you, that you made some progress.

It's not the pleasure you get from the content only, there is pleasure in the feeling that you progress, that you are stronger. You know, you are at higher level.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WurstKaeseSzenario View Post
    Let me rephrase that for you:

Do you actually enjoy quest/story conent or not?
    I don't understand why people play if they don't, and there are SO many that have no idea what the story/content is even about. Yeah, great, you're ilvl 975, have all the cool mounts and every class at 110 but who do you think is noticing that besides you? Who exactly are you doing this for?

One of my guildies is exactly like this, unfortunately he's unbearably attractive so I biologically can't get annoyed with him, but we ran Blackrock Foundry for some mog stuff the other day and he had NO idea that Draenor was past Outland. Like he didn't even notice the names of key places were the same.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by gushDH View Post
    No matter how much you love what you do, you are always looking for a reward. Not the pleasure, but an actual reward.

No matter how much you love your job, you want the money in the end.

No matter how much you love questing, you want something to push you, that you made some progress.

It's not the pleasure you get from the content only, there is pleasure in the feeling that you progress, that you are stronger. You know, you are at higher level.
    But what about single player games with no character level? I played Dragon Age series for literally no other reason than the pleasure of the experience. There was zip reward.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    I would love this, I hate leveling. so this is an Ideal situation for me.
    You have to admit, a lot of the questing since ~MoP onwards has been particularly enjoyable. I found myself in WoD and Legion pretty able to forget I was even leveling.

Spires of Arak, for instance. That big laser at the beginning was amazing. The only thing I was focused on was the plight of my poor birb friends.

Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    You gain stats with every level. Not many, but some. Unless they removed that?
    doesnt matter because the enemies also gain stats.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nupomaniac View Post
    Helps distance us from the last expansion so yes it is actually
    then why 10 levels and not just one?

Yes, leveling sucks and make old xpac content obsolete.

There should be a prestige infinite leveling like Diablo has, much like Artifact Power (but passive gained from xp, because clicking and dropping shit that gives 0,00001% is retarded beyond reason).

That way they could rewrite quests and zones as a single player content, giving good rewards at the end of the entire chain and making quests meaningfull.

Quote Originally Posted by Oneirophobia View Post
    I don't understand why people play if they don't, and there are SO many that have no idea what the story/content is even about. Yeah, great, you're ilvl 975, have all the cool mounts and every class at 110 but who do you think is noticing that besides you? Who exactly are you doing this for?

One of my guildies is exactly like this, unfortunately he's unbearably attractive so I biologically can't get annoyed with him, but we ran Blackrock Foundry for some mog stuff the other day and he had NO idea that Draenor was past Outland. Like he didn't even notice the names of key places were the same.

- - - Updated - - -

But what about single player games with no character level? I played Dragon Age series for literally no other reason than the pleasure of the experience. There was zip reward.

- - - Updated - - -

You have to admit, a lot of the questing since ~MoP onwards has been particularly enjoyable. I found myself in WoD and Legion pretty able to forget I was even leveling.

Spires of Arak, for instance. That big laser at the beginning was amazing. The only thing I was focused on was the plight of my poor birb friends.
    No, The last time Leveling was enjoyable was Cata, because you could do it in like 2-3 hours. I literally Despise leveling and only play for max level content and Dungeons. I have literally never once ever read a quest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    No, The last time Leveling was enjoyable was Cata, because you could do it in like 2-3 hours. I literally Despise leveling and only play for max level content and Dungeons. I have literally never once ever read a quest.
    Maybe you should give it a try!

Yes/No. I think with where we currently are raising the level cap is totally unnecessary as we don't get many new abilities any more. That said, a leveling progression is still necessary from 1 to X for unlocking abilities and growing in power but at this point having obtained the Ashbringer and being treated like a god amongst men it doesn't feel like I'd be growing much in power beyond that, in fact most of Legion was spent on my Artifacts power, not my personal power.

I personally would support a level squish in which the cap was reduced back to 60 or 70 and the leveling progression consisted of Vanilla + Current Xpack. I don't think we'd need to raise level cap again after that as Blizzard just scales everything anyway so level 70 and level 80 wouldn't make a difference in a new continent, any zones they want level locked can be locked through other means such as quest progression.
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    The only lies here are the bullshit coming from you. RBG appears to be immortal.

Quote Originally Posted by Cronzee View Post
    I would be play all the old zones etc if your toon got scaled down to max lvl of said zone. That way they could make alot more content all over the world that people could play with out out gearing/level the zones right away.
    Basiclly our current wow zones but with zone that stop your level at say 10 but you still gain xp as if you were lvl 10, And once you go to a new zone you start leveling there up to the max level which for arguments sake would stop at 25.

Think the system im thinking off is in guild wars 2 might be wrong
    Leveling helps reset characters without robbing them of progress--some other way of handling expansion-to-expansion stat rollover would need to be ironed out.

But overall, not leveling in new content wouldn't bother me terribly. I pay more attention to ilevel, and all post-expansion zones/content is done without leveling more, so we kind of already do/accept that idea.

Yes. But leveling serves a function. It resets everyone's gear to the same level. There would need to be some other mechanism that does that function as well. Content patches are fine, but periodically there needs to be a reset so the game can be freshened up.

Quote Originally Posted by Kantoro View Post
    They should do something whacky and make an expac where you get 13.4 levels to max. Max level is now 123.4. Or let Hunters gain 15 levels, but Paladins only get 10. Druids lose 5 levels. Or random max levels. You could get 5, you could get 15, WHO KNOWSZOMG!??!

Hee hee.
    lol your character has a chance to titanforge as soon as you hit level cap, giving you a potential 1-15 extra character levels to grind out.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    Well the issue becomes that then you have to redo those quests on alts. Which makes burning out occur pretty quick.

I'd be fine with huge rewards, just so long as they're account wide.
    I agree with you. For alts, you should have total freedom of the content you want to run without being too gimped.

Quote Originally Posted by gushDH View Post
    Yeah the story. Never really cared about the levels, I loved Suramar the most of the zones and I did that before I knew that it was mandatory for flying.

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    huge huge issue there is secondary stats and gearing, so what i just lose 20% haste 20% crit 40% mastery because? what reasons? i can't keep gaining secondary stats or people are going to hit 100% crit 90% haste etc etc.

they would basically have to increase secondary stat requirements for each % by like 4, so you just lose all your stats, then the new gear would get you back eventually, but then what about people leveling their 110's will be dogshit in BiS gear because the new xpac is out.

that would also kill any kind of alt twinking.
    Seconday stat squish just like they squished everything 2 expansions ago and in the next one. For reasons.

Not to say I wouldn't want leveling. Seems to separate expansions. But I would play it because the content would be content. Reps and stuff would increase the desire.

Quote Originally Posted by Oneirophobia View Post

The problem is how often Blizzard's writing and presentation of a zone is so bad, and how it so heavily takes a back seat to "progression". It's too easy to ignore the story because the basic format of progression hasn't changed at all in over a decade. "Kill X" monsters until the loot pinata drops better gear. There's no progression through puzzle solving, or lore collection, or anything else.

People don't care about the story because they don't have to.

Yea I would cause levels don't matter. When an expansion goes live I'm max level with 24 hours anyways.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kraid View Post
    Let say blizzard released a new xpac, 6 zones, tons of new content all the things a new xpac brings ecept levels don't get higher.

Would you still do the new zones?

Edit: There are still quest that reward gear and gold.

Edit 2: I mean at the start of the xpac, I know broken shore,and argus was content for level cap and that's my inspiration for this post, since I think the concept of ''levels'' need a fix or to be removed entirely.
    Progression is at the heart of any MMO... if people dont believe they are progressing enough then they will leave and go elsewhere. Nobody wants to be faced with a Sisyphean situation.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

I stopped pet battling when they stopped adding levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    Progression is at the heart of any MMO... if people dont believe they are progressing enough then they will leave and go elsewhere. Nobody wants to be faced with a Sisyphean situation.
    I had to google that word. Very nice I had never heard that before.

Oh, and I agree with you.

Like most people say I say it too, I do it for the content, the story and for the quest rewards such as transmogs etc.
    I agree Levels do feel kind of pointless when it comes down to endgame content BUT as an altoholic (no I don't need an intervention! I can quit making alts when I want to, get off my case! D I do like the feeling of hitting that next level knowing I'm one step closer to reaching that final level, it gives you something to strive for.

As to a way to replace the leveling system I don't really have any major suggestions except maybe stop giving us levels and have us level up our items by doing content, think kind of like upping your weekly keystone but for items and it's not just for a week it's a permanent level up with a cap that rises for each major patch of the expansion like lvl 10 for X.0 and 20 for X.1, 30 for X.2 etc.

Example: You finish a quest, you get a lvl 1 1h sword which at that moment is worse than the weapon you got (say a lvl 12 1h axe) BUT if you lvl that sword up by using it in pve and pvp content (this would include just questing and world quests / daily quests etc) and you get it to lvl 12 it is better than your axe.
    This gives you a reason to keep doing the older content, of course it makes it more of a grind but let's be honest, so is lvling in the firstplace so I'd say overall if you spend a couple days lvling your weapon or lvling your char lvl I find it more interesting and rewarding to invest in your new piece of gear and lvling that up, as it gives you a constant feeling of you're increasing in power as your gear would constantly be lvling up (unless you cap it all out before the new patch comes out ofc :P)