Poll: Is the majority of playerbase "reward driven"?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Bennett View Post
    Every game is always that way. That's the point of playing games.
    The point of playing games is to have fun... Playing a game that's gameplay my itself isn't fun for the sake of a digital reward within that game is more than a little silly.

The gameplay, at it's most base level (like combat, just fighting), should be fun...
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    I mean for the majority of players the "fun" of the game comes out of "rewards" and rewards alone.
    I completely disagree with the last part of this statement. I think most people play for fun, and getting rewards is a part of that. I can't believe that rewards are the sole reason they play. If so....then I feel really bad for a lot of people.....lol. Of course, that could explain why you have a lot of cranky players....hmmmmmm....

If you mean in the way that the majority of players of all games ever in the history and prehistory of humankind are reward driven. Then yes. Whether its a sense of accomplishment, bragging rights, something to aid in the game later on, or something visual to show off, those are all rewards.
    If you mean something more than that, then no. Don't speak for me. You can take your "can we all just agree" and put it where it belongs. Don't presume to speak for anyone other than yourself. False consensus is a kind of confirmation bias. If you're sincerely asking a question, then ask the question without insisting that everyone should agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    The point of playing games is to have fun... Playing a game that's gameplay my itself isn't fun for the sake of a digital reward within that game is more than a little silly.

The gameplay, at it's most base level (like combat, just fighting), should be fun...
    I play WoW because it's fun in itself. If I didn't have fun playing this game, I wouldn't be. Look at the post a while back with the poll where people responded to why they play, for example.

https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...you-logging-in

Notice how there's a ton of reasons, but the majority chose "when it feels fun".

Seriously, you people try to apply your own jaded attitudes as a fact for all.

It's rather self-absorbed. And WOTLK might have had more buttons on classes, but it was a shallow shell of a game in terms of reasons and routes to play and progress. Level, dungeons, raiding, sit in a city and wait for reset. Repeat. I sure don't remember having more fun back then than I have had since with guildies, friends and the content itself...
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2018-04-19 at 08:56 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwiez View Post
    If you mean in the way that the majority of players of all games ever in the history and prehistory of humankind are reward driven. Then yes. Whether its a sense of accomplishment, bragging rights, something to aid in the game later on, or something visual to show off, those are all rewards.
    If you mean something more than that, then no. Don't speak for me. You can take your "can we all just agree" and put it where it belongs. Don't presume to speak for anyone other than yourself. False consensus is a kind of confirmation bias. If you're sincerely asking a question, then ask the question without insisting that everyone should agree with you.
    Im sorry, its a bad habit of mine to do the title as most click baity as possible.
    I tried to be assertive on my opinion on the title to call for a reaction...to be honest, i was expecting more of a negative reaction
    I dont mind when people disagree with me ^_^
    Last edited by mmocaf0660f03c; 2018-04-19 at 08:58 PM.

I mean I wouldn't do stuff in game just for the hell of it. It's a basic design element of MMOs. People aren't going to hang around and do stuff in your game if they get nothing out of the time investment.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwiez View Post
    lol it's not that serious calm down junior.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SensationalBanana View Post
    And WOTLK might have had more buttons on classes, but it was a shallow shell of a game in terms of reasons and routes to play and progress. Level, dungeons, raiding, sit in a city and wait for reset.
    Yes, it was, but the gameplay, at it's most base level, meaning the means through which you interact with content, not the content itself, had more depth.

I would like that have that AND good content, not one or the other, but if I had to choose just one I would much rather have the base level gameplay have more depth, because when the content gets old and stale during a drought, when all the gear is had and there's nothing left to reasonably farm, all that is left for people to try to make their own fun out of it is the basic gameplay mechanics.
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2018-04-19 at 09:17 PM.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Of course that's how it is currently, because that's how they set the game up to be. Lots of people used to play just for fun, got geared up at the beginning of each season, but then did endless rbg's and arenas, fully geared, for fun.

They homogenized as much as they could about the game and drove it toward chasing carrots.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Bennett View Post
    Every game is always that way. That's the point of playing games.
    Most games aren't driven by tangible (in the game) item rewards.

- - - Updated - - -

Seems like a lot of people in this post are getting overly philosophical about various definitions of the word "reward". Seems pretty obvious that the op meant in game specific items, i.e. gear.

Deleted
    when all the gear is had and there's nothing left to reasonably farm, all that is left for people to try to make their own fun out of it is the basic gameplay mechanics.
    That is so true.
    At the end what is left is people enjoying the "basic gameplay mechanics".

I think the problem of WoW is that most people dont find the basic gameplay mechanics fun in the end.
    But we cant ask Blizzard "just make the game fun then". LoL, fun is subjective to every single different person.

So at this point...i think the best strategy would be to implement a endless reward system. Or a reward system that takes VERY LONG to acomplish.

Im kinda sad im part of a minority community. The World PvP community.
    I may never live to see a reward system implemented for this part of the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    A lot of games are not driven by rewards. Like every story single player mode game and a lot of multiplayer PvP games.

But i believe the WoW community is different and is purely reward driven.
    I dont know why.
    Is just a feeling i have.
    Pretty sure all games has a base of rewards to create accomplishment and progression. I don't play for rewards alone but they are part of it, just like interest and fun.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Im kinda sad im part of a minority community. The World PvP community.
    I may never live to see a reward system implemented for this part of the game.
    I thought BfA was actually implementing a reward for world PvP. When you are in War Mode (or whatever it's called), then these crates of "stuff" will drop that you can fight over that will only be in the war mode phase. I think that is intended to give you a reward. Plus, you will get bonuses (xp and maybe other stuff) just by being in war mode.

Quote Originally Posted by fiestatastic View Post
    Most games aren't driven by tangible (in the game) item rewards.
    Most games also aren't MMOs either where the entire point is to further your character through.. you guessed it. Rewards.

Every single person is driven by rewards in everything they do in life.
    The end.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by yjmark View Post
    I thought BfA was actually implementing a reward for world PvP. When you are in War Mode (or whatever it's called), then these crates of "stuff" will drop that you can fight over that will only be in the war mode phase. I think that is intended to give you a reward. Plus, you will get bonuses (xp and maybe other stuff) just by being in war mode.
    WHERE DID YOU SEE THIS!?!

Is this true?

That would make me so happy

This really isn't anything profound, it's been the business models of video games since they had scoring in them. Now, when it comes to getting new gear, that has been the same since I played Dragon Warrior 30 years ago.

It's not simply a matter of most players, but literally almost all players. And yes, with different skill levels, there is a push to say people deserve better rewards. It's all about growth and status.

Yes, it was, but the gameplay, at it's most base level, meaning the means through which you interact with content, not the content itself, had more depth.

I would like that have that AND good content, not one or the other, but if I had to choose just one I would much rather have the base level gameplay have more depth, because when the content gets old and stale during a drought, when all the gear is had and there's nothing left to reasonably farm, all that is left for people to try to make their own fun out of it is the basic gameplay mechanics.
    Well, what constitutes fun gameplay with the classes is also highly individual.
    The rose shimmer is nice and all, but I remember how those of us "making our own fun" (which I did through farming, not swooning over my buttons) during WOTLK were lambasted whilst the vast majority sat in cities doing squat all just waiting for reset.

I'd say that people are far more concerned with having content that they find worthwhile and fun to partake in than some arbitrary "best class design". I for one don't enjoy my class as it currently is designed, but I still enjoy the shit out of basics such as killing stuff and playing the game thanks to there being so many different things to do, to pursue + the social aspects and raiding.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2018-04-19 at 10:43 PM.

Disagree. Most players want social interaction in an MMO. Blizzard stripped social play out of wow which is why growth halted and subs declined. Its why subs are so low despite quality technical work with the game.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Deleted
    Just look what players did when they had fun playing the game. It is a complete different playerbase right now. Just cross your finger that they don't mess up classic and i personaly hope that they follow up with tbc.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Drew View Post
    Just look what players did when they had fun playing the game. It is a complete different playerbase right now. Just cross your finger that they don't mess up classic and i personaly hope that they follow up with tbc.

LMFAO! What an absolute joke of a point to be making with the content being put out around this game in 2018...

There are a ton of WoW content creators on Youtube and Twitch, with everything from news to machinima.

But please, don't let that stop you from the usual method that you delusional Classic zealots use. Funny how the only way to make Classic seem good, is to make up BS points about what's wrong with the current game.

Deleted
    @SensationalBanana

UH! I loved that video when i saw it!
    I loved it so bad that i wanted to share it...but i forgot.

Very nice one dude.

But dont try to compare the content creation of videos from back then to now. Is totally different (in terms of quantity).
    Remember the endless PvP videos in Warcraftmovies?
    Sadly thats no longer a thing.

But that video you showed there. Man i loved it.