Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Zardu Hasselfrau View Post
    Sorry, I mispoke. It's a subset of speculative fiction.

Point remains.
    You're expecting a level of writing that Blizzard simply isn't aiming for. WarCraft isn't meant to be a masterfully crafted Magnum Opus. It's meant to be a fun romp.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeletov View Post
    Except getting into the enemy city is the entire point of a siege.
    idk how you did it, but i didn't say what you quoted my dude.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    ...wtf.... the quote links to this?
    it's not teleporting like a mage, it's conjuring a void tear.

it's not anymore op than a mage's mass teleporting abilities. oculeth likely gives the horde similar potential.

the real power in it is flanking capability, which is never used by either side, because don't think blizz knows enough to even consider it.
    edit: FOUND IT.

not a post from kitteh but from an elf instead:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ren-dorei View Post
    The writers have been hyping the Ren'dorei as this powerful and unique people that had a wide variety of different abilities to use. Their newfound powers were something mysterious, and now we had a glimpse of some of their capabilities. Alleria's ability to tear rifts into reality likely derives from her newfound Void transformation (and is also active racial ability of Void Elves in-game). After all, the Ren'dorei are the first mortals in the history of the cosmos to successfully defy the shadows' whipsers, so it makes sense to give them unique and powerful techniques.

And, I mean, it's not the first time we've seen this. Gul'dan and other powerful Demons (such as Tichondrius and Mal'ganis) could open random portals at random locations, and so could the Lich King.

As for why Alleria isn't just teleporting in the middle of Orgrimmar with a token force of steam tanks... it's because it is way too risky.
    Last edited by mickybrighteyes; 2018-04-19 at 10:22 PM.

OK for the sake of argument lets say Alleria finds a way to travel a small force through the void directly into the heart of UC or Orgrimmar. Alliance know more about the void and we'll give them the benefit of the doubt they can bypass Horde countermeasures. Alright

But they cannot stay in the void, they would eventually have to come back to real space to fight us. In the heart of a major Horde city and the home turf of arguably the best telimancer in the game, Oculeth. When we met him for the first time he was about to send us to the bottom of the ocean even though we're some of the most powerful characters in the game and he was borderline withered.

Now that he's no longer addicted and has the full backing of the Horde he's probably many times more powerful, he would have a FIELD DAY with this small force. Ill send this tank into space, that one inside a volcano, and those foot soldiers I'll send to their grandmas house because they never visit!

Oculeth really puts a damper on most of these "why don't we just teliport" arguments, because Horde has the best telimancer in the world. He's literally been doing it for over 10 thousand years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why didn't Jaina just destroy it? Why didn't it take a scratch of damage when it was completely under siege?

Plot armor...sometimes it's great sometimes it's there just to make something impossible when it shouldn't be.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotrip View Post
    Someone mentioned this in another thread I started, about Alleria’s actions during the battle for Lordaeron, and it actually got me wondering:

How does Alleria teleport into Lordaeron with a bunch of siege tanks? What’s stopping her from doing this anywhere and at any time? What even are the “rules” of teleportation?

Now I’m not saying this is an irrepairable plot-hole. There’s tons of potential answers here:

1. Alleria had to “lock on” to the magical signature of Anduin and Genn, otherwise it would be nearly impossible
    to teleport safely without a pre-established “end-point”.

2. Alleria and Mekketortque worked together on a very dangerous, very difficult plan to get into Lordaeron. It’s a method too risky to use willy-nilly.

3. Cities in Azeroth have a magical equivalent of “cyber security”, that defend against unauthorized magical intrusions. Alleria and Mekketorque “hacked” their way through.

4. Some combination of the above.

In reality, Blizzard probably just didn’t think about it. But they’re always open to “clean things up” later on, so ahat do you guys think?
    The question is how can you be this dense? Where is the tactic in your logic? Can she even teleport anything else other than void elves? She appeared in Lordaeron knowing the alliance was there as a >> TACTIC<<. MMO Champ forum poster's logic are embarrassing to read.

Whoops, sorry man I was posting on my phone when I made that. I'll edit it in a bit.

Void Elves are not a worthless ally. Alleria Windrunner and her Ren'dorei forces arrived at a clutch moment during the Battle for Lordaeron, and alongside their Gnomish ally, they were able to even the odds against the bulk of the Horde' army with the powers they brought. Anduin himself thanked the Light for Alleria's intervention. The Void Elves have proven their worth to the Alliance.

Yes, that would be a good trade-off, since it would be pretty broken if the Void Elves could just teleport at will throughout the cosmos. I wonder if that portal opened at the Battle of Lordaeron was opened by Alleria alone, or if she needed other Ren'dorei or even Magister Umbric himself to maintain it. Answers will come in time.
    i mean, her and the gnomes' arrival would have been much more effective had she teleported behind the horde forces.

it's basic military strategy. surround and devastate your foes from all sides. there would have been no escape.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Skeletov View Post
    Whoops, sorry man I was posting on my phone when I made that. I'll edit it in a bit.
    yeah, was just letting you know lol. weird how that happened.

The Unstoppable Force Friendlyimmolation's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Dreadfort, or Korriban. You never know.
    i mean, her and the gnomes' arrival would have been much more effective had she teleported behind the horde forces.

it's basic military strategy. surround and devastate your foes from all sides. there would have been no escape.

- - - Updated - - -

yeah, was just letting you know lol. weird how that happened.
    She lost her military mind after fighting demons in the army of light when their only strategy was to zerg rush.
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWKnight65 View Post
    That's same excuse from you and so many others on this website and your right some of threads do bully high elf fans to a point where they might end up losing their minds to a point of a mass shooting.
    Holy shit lol

Deleted
    I'm not sure she could really have known where 'behind the Horde forces' was while she was opening the rifts. Apart from that, she'd have been cut off and the Gnomish tanks would have done no good if they don't get to the army that wants to use them, but instead land behind enemy lines where only a few of them might get used by the Gnomes themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Shandalay View Post
    I'm not sure she could really have known where 'behind the Horde forces' was while she was opening the rifts. Apart from that, she'd have been cut off and the Gnomish tanks would have done no good if they don't get to the army that wants to use them, but instead land behind enemy lines where only a few of them might get used by the Gnomes themselves.
    in the void tear, you can see where on the world you are. so she and the gnome forces would have seen.

the simple answer to that is have the tanks piloted already. why in the world would you teleport in pilotless tanks in the first place? that'd be stupid.

Deleted
    in the void tear, you can see where on the world you are. so she and the gnome forces would have seen.

the simple answer to that is have the tanks piloted already. why in the world would you teleport in pilotless tanks in the first place? that'd be stupid.
    Because lots of Gnomes are engineers and not soldiers, so they can bring more tanks than drivers. And the PC must have something to do too ofc ^^
    What we see in the battle is, there's more tanks than people to use them, so they brought spare tanks for the army to use. Plus, even if they can see, they'd still be cut off in the middle of an army that just bombed the shit out of everyone with plague, including their own. So why would they go there and not towards Anduin, who can keep the plague at bay and Jaina who can give you cover if you need it? Putting such a small force out there on their own behind enemy lines, while you plan to bring tanks (and not do a sneak attack from behind) would be suicide.

Quote Originally Posted by Shandalay View Post
    Because lots of Gnomes are engineers and not soldiers, so they can bring more tanks than drivers. And the PC must have something to do too ofc ^^
    What we see in the battle is, there's more tanks than people to use them, so they brought spare tanks for the army to use. Plus, even if they can see, they'd still be cut off in the middle of an army that just bombed the shit out of everyone with plague, including their own. So why would they go there and not towards Anduin, who can keep the plague at bay and Jaina who can give you cover if you need it? Putting such a small force out there on their own behind enemy lines, while you plan to bring tanks (and not do a sneak attack from behind) would be suicide.
    anduin and the forsaken were in the middle of charging when she popped in between them. they wouldn't have been ready for her to pop in behind them.

engineers pilot tanks, that's kind part of their job. if there's not enough gnomes available, use void elves or dwarves. obviously the tanks are there for a fun mini game for the players, but lorewise none of them were empty i'd say.

10+ Year Old Account
    In the volcanic ashlands of northwestern Georgia (Also known as Atlanta).
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddybearavenger View Post
    The question is how can you be this dense? Where is the tactic in your logic? Can she even teleport anything else other than void elves? She appeared in Lordaeron knowing the alliance was there as a >> TACTIC<<. MMO Champ forum poster's logic are embarrassing to read.
    I must be dense, because I can't even follow your point or why you're insulting me at all. I never said this wasn't a tactic, if that's what you're trying to say. I'm questioning how teleportation (or, as others have noted, tearing holes in the void and walking through them) works, how easy it is, what the limits are, and what potential defense there is against an attack like this.

Can she even teleport anything else other than void elves?
    Well...yes. Did you see the scenario? She arrives with a small army of gnomish tanks, along with Mekkatorque. This isn't really part of my question because it was self-explanatory.
    Some people really like flavor. Occasionally subsisting on nutrient paste just doesn't feel the same as eating a steak. I get that flavor isn't for everyone, but I doubt removing all cosmetic indicators from the game would be appealing either. Nobody want to log in, queue to fight modestly sized blue checked box boss #7, initiate combat using an attack sequence of abilities 1-7 with a 13 beat repeat coda intermittently, and collect item level 630 slot 7 gear either.

Deleted
    anduin and the forsaken were in the middle of charging when she popped in between them. they wouldn't have been ready for her to pop in behind them.

engineers pilot tanks, that's kind part of their job. if there's not enough gnomes available, use void elves or dwarves. obviously the tanks are there for a fun mini game for the players, but lorewise none of them were empty i'd say.
    The void elves were doing their kind of thing .... which was being Rangers and shooting arrows .... and the dwarves were already on the field, i.e. were the Gnomes landed with Alleria.
    And if you decide on a strategy, you decide it before the battle. If the order was 'bring reinforcements to the army and bolster our ranks, once we get through the walls', you don't suddenly do something different and land behind the lines, you stick to the plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoe View Post
    Trolling level 11/10. actually got me to make my first ever mmoc account to post here. Not even the prospect for free mounts did that.

Why the Alliance won't use the Vindicar to bomb from orbit:

1. Difficulty acquiring target from distance -- The distance from space to the ground is about 160KM or about 100 Miles. This is the minimum satellite distance as defined by NASA. You can't see the great wall with the naked eye much less Undercity from that distance. You would need a telescope acquire a target.

2. Atmospheric Pressure -- Wind is a thing and it pushes things in every direction. A bomb or other object will also be pushed quite a bit by the wind before it travels all 100 miles to the surface. This might be the difference between Stormwind Keep and the Bank in the Dwarven Distrect, but it's still the difference between hitting your target and hitting something else entirely.

3. Planetary Rotation -- It's safe to say Azeroth rotates. This makes Undercity, although slowly, a moving target and more difficult to hit.

4. Atmospheric Friction -- Notice how meteors burn up in the atmosphere even though it is mostly made up of iron? A lot of the material from a projectile would be shaved/burned off before it hits the ground. Whatever bomb must be extremely aerodynamic and heat resistant. Even more so if the object is explosive.

5. Terminal Velocity -- This variable is going to be a headache when calculating aim with projectiles. Different objects will have different terminal velocity depending on size and weight. The larger the size, the lower the terminal velocity (Think a parachute). The larger the weight (well you can imagine). So the higher terminal velocity will be decided by the denser material. Increasing the terminal velocity will decrease the issue caused Atmospheric Pressure and Planetary Rotation, but will increase issues caused by Atmospheric Friction.

TL;DR Too many variables interfere w/ testing let alone the actual bombing. You would ruin so many other people's days before you actually hit your target.
    I assume this is just an alt-account Arrashi quickly made? Comes out of nowhere to make Arrashi's point about orbital bombardment and not to actually comment on the tread topic itself?
    /Catchphrase!

Quote Originally Posted by Azahel View Post
    Why don't we bombard orgrimmar from the space with the vindicar? Why didn't we use Dalaran during the siege of orgrimmar? How can Jaina randomly transport people without their permission but doesn't use this in combat? Why isn't Cenarius or any druid faction helping the Night Elves defend the forests?

Don't start making questions, dude, just play along...
    I ask questions like these all the time

Why doesn't Oculeth open portals for blight to drop on the enemy army
    Why doesn't Oculeth flood the enemy cities with water of lava
    Why doesn't Oculeth just go into combat and rip people to shreds
    Why doesn't Oculeth port large troops around battlefields
    Why doesn't Oculeth get more screen time

Things that should happen, but Blizzard wont acknowledge them

You can all say that the Ren'dorei are the most useless member in the Alliance. But at least they actually participated in the Battle for Lordaeron. I didn't see the Tushui Pandaren, the Lightforged Draenei, or the High Elves of the Silver Covenant on the battlefield.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

You can all say that the Ren'dorei are the most useless member in the Alliance. But at least they actually participated in the Battle for Lordaeron. I didn't see the Tushui Pandaren, the Lightforged Draenei, or the High Elves of the Silver Covenant on the battlefield.
    Speaking of the Tushui, why are they still even in the Alliance? Their leader is a traitor and they've done nothing at all since joining.
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

Why doesn't Oculeth teleport a bunch of barrels w/ the blight into Stormwind and destroy it?