Poll: Is the majority of playerbase "reward driven"?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    I don't know. A lot of people I play with seems to be driven by several things, but obviously rewards are wanted.

The human race is reward driven. The only problem is the definition of reward.

For some loot is the reward for others just mashing buttons is a reward or the flashing animations on the screen. And for another bunch of players killing the next boss is the reward completely void of difficulty. There are people out there that may not have cleared normal or heroic and are just "working" on the next boss kill that share this reward goal.

I personally am hunting that next boss kill. And as a second goal I like to boost the power of my char as much as I can in a sensible manner. I could get better relics by playing hundreds of m+ to get a lucky piece of loot but that is too much of a luck thing for me to chase.
    Maybe I should add that I am "working" on Aggramar mythic with my guild right now. But as stated the difficulty is not really important for the argument itself.
    Last edited by Feuerbart; 2018-04-20 at 08:09 AM.

Deleted
    Everyone is reward driven.

What one finds rewarding differs from person to person.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Everyone is reward driven.

What one finds rewarding differs from person to person.
    This is what I'm thinking too. Some days I want to get something I don't have, other days, I just wanna run around and do dumb shit.
    S (moderator)
    P (WoW Gen, Pets/Mog/Ach, Fun/Chat Zone)
    L (guidelines*)
    E (WoW gen rules*)
    N (my art*)
    D (Pikachu BEST Pokemon)
    A (Sensational™)

Only games that have no reward in them would be simulator games. You do it for the joy of driving/flying something.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Splenda View Post
    This is what I'm thinking too. Some days I want to get something I don't have, other days, I just wanna run around and do dumb shit.
    Usually the day starts with your first point and then ends with the second

In WoW anyway.

Deleted
    Yes, pretty much. Although if I think back to when I started WoW I was driven by wanting to see the world and the story. Nowadays I doubt I'd do most things if they didn't reward anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    I mean for the majority of players the "fun" of the game comes out of "rewards" and rewards alone.

I believe players dont play WoW for the fun of the gameplay but for the fun of getting rewards.
    You think this is true?

I think one good example is the state of PvP at the moment.
    On paper, a pvp player should always enjoy the game because the fun of it comes from the "gameplay" itself.
    For example, a "call of duty" player will always have fun playing the game even without rewards.

But as you can see by the state of PvP at the moment, people dont do it because is not as rewarding as PvE.

I have this strong belief that WoW players nowadays are exclusively motivated by only a reward.

What do you guys think? The majority, not everyone.
    nowadays ? sory but bauahahahaahahahaa

99% people never cared for anything but the gear or cosmetics in this game

Deleted
    In my opinion it depends. The "reward drive" switch on if you do something for a long time.
    Maybe we can agree that every game one person start to play is first "driven" by the interesting gameplay, story and all those things. But eventually you reach the point where you finish the story, learn the gameplay and you start looking for something else to keep you engaged in the game you liked. So you start looking for what? For some kind of "rewards" for investing more in the game. You find what you like and learn what to do to get it, so you just start working for that "reward".
    Perfect example for WoW is raiding - you first do the raid to clear it, but after that you have around 3 more months till new tier and you do what? Look the loot table of each boss, mark what you want to get from them and start farming the raid. To get the best "rewards" from your PoV. Otherwise you will unsub and wait for next tier or worse(from publisher PoV) - you will find another game to play.

I think those reward drives are win-win for both parties - if you like the game you will play it longer and publisher gets more money, then give you new "rewards" and the cycle continue

People love seeing progress. It's why some people get "addicted" to working out, why some people play shitty mobily games, why people waste hours upon hours in games like WoW. There's a reason games like LoL, OW, HS, HotS, ... all have a level system, it's to give people a sense of progression, even when they haven't nescessarily improved. It's important for there to be a carrot at the end of the stick aswell, hence people love the rewards. It's really nothing new.

I mean for the majority of players the "fun" of the game comes out of "rewards" and rewards alone.

I believe players dont play WoW for the fun of the gameplay but for the fun of getting rewards.
    You think this is true?

I think one good example is the state of PvP at the moment.
    On paper, a pvp player should always enjoy the game because the fun of it comes from the "gameplay" itself.
    For example, a "call of duty" player will always have fun playing the game even without rewards.

But as you can see by the state of PvP at the moment, people dont do it because is not as rewarding as PvE.

I have this strong belief that WoW players nowadays are exclusively motivated by only a reward.

What do you guys think? The majority, not everyone.
    All of us are. Our behaviour, everything we do is completely driven by rewards.
    You are as well. This is not something new, this is it has always been.

15+ Year Old Account

No, stop this nonsense.

You do not speak for the majority of anything.

As I've stated many times before. I play to have fun and escape reality for a bit, fun can mean many things, some of which are getting rewards. But it could also just be jumping around Dalaran chatting with friends, or even just hitting a target dummy perfecting my rotation.

You do you. Don't worry about what I'm doing or why I play anything. Thanks.
    Last edited by Byleth; 2018-04-20 at 09:08 AM.
    Here is something to believe in!

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a pointless question and poll since you never defined what is and what isn't a reward.

Win at PVP = Reward.

Yes, the game basically works by you do something at the the end of that thing you get a piece of gear, some skillup, an achievement, a pat on the back from the questgiver, etc.

That said, given the unrelenting stream of threads that call gear garbage I'm not sure that gear is a reward that people actually like.

But the whole thing is so vague and people care at much different levels for different things that the question itself is neither controversial or a problem.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

I like to test things that are new. I won't do it three times if there is no reward.

The experience is the most important thing, but a good experience without any kind of reward in a game like this just loses its value...

10+ Year Old Account
    A lot of games are not driven by rewards. Like every story single player mode game and a lot of multiplayer PvP games.

But i believe the WoW community is different and is purely reward driven.
    I dont know why.
    Is just a feeling i have.

Having meaningful rewards is part of the "fun of the gameplay".
    Even in story focused single player rpgs you have a loot and power progression. Even a silly 30 min moba game has something similar.
    Now extrapolating this to the sad state of pvp in wow. Most people had way more fun when you could farm a few piece of gear and actually see you get to wreck someone significantly harder even in the most casual pvp. You would also have something tangible and meaningful to strive for in the long run with high tier pvp sets.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    The point of playing games is to have fun... Playing a game that's gameplay my itself isn't fun for the sake of a digital reward within that game is more than a little silly.

The gameplay, at it's most base level (like combat, just fighting), should be fun...
    I don't think theres anyone playing this game that doesn't enjoy it at all, and is playing for pixels.

Everyone plays every game for "reward", its just the reward changes depending on what you're playing.

In WoW the reward is frequently something that increases character power or grants some form of progression, so when it's not people do that activity less.

I like to play Trials, which is a single player platformer/puzzle-ish kinda thing. The reward I get is the endorphin rush from beating a really hard stage.

Sometimes I'll play Overwatch, and the reward is A: Endorphins from winning and B: loot boxes/currency for buying cosmetics

Everyone has different motivators.

If blizzard rebuilt the in game community, the playerbase would increase in size dramatically. If they added a slew of new rewards in bfa without doing so, the playerbase will shrink more. Social is what matters, not rewards.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Drew View Post
    Just look what players did when they had fun playing the game. It is a complete different playerbase right now. Just cross your finger that they don't mess up classic and i personaly hope that they follow up with tbc.

why you tryin to make a point with a machinima? theres still plenty of machinimas but i guess youre just too lazy to look for them

players always been reward driven from day one, do quests for exp and gear, do dungeons for exp and gear etc etc
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

I play wow for the fun of raiding mythic. Gear is just a tool to get there and overcome obstacles.