Page 1 of 3
LastLast

would you like glyphs to come back?

i think they offered players some nice custimization and would be welcome back

As cosmetic options for spells and abilities, they're great.
    As mandatory throughput purchases, they're terrible.

5+ Year Old Account
    Nope. I think that glyphs were a system intended to give more customization for players, but it ended being critically underdeveloped, and for a good reason. If you want everyone to be able to do the same DPS/HPS/mitigation, as it's been the case since WotLK onwards, customization goes the way of the dodo, for players will only pick whatever choice gives them the most out. Blizz got rid of glyphs, and replaced them with the new talent rows. Which generally suck, but at least you don't have to spend any money to get them.

I think that glyphs would have been way cooler if they acted like D3 runes, which enhance an aspect of the spell while weakening another. But we can't have that in current WoW, can we?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Razion View Post
    As cosmetic options for spells and abilities, they're great.
    Yeah... If only we actually had a reasonable number of them with which to do that customization... The selection is abysmal for most classes.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Glyphs were neat, but only when they were purely based on aesthetic reasons. then people could choose to buy them or not buy them instead of being forced to buy to be competitive.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think they could've vastly expanded the Glyph system.

Basically every ability has 3 glyphs - Cosmetic (with several choices), Ability (such as increasing damage, reducing CDs, etc), and additions (adding something extra to the spell).

The cosmetic slot could simply change the color, ala Fel Fire for Warlocks, but the second two glyphs have some sort of drawback. Increasing the mana/rage/etc cost or something along those lines. If you use just one of them, the cost isn't bad, but if you use both, the cost goes way up.

For instance, we'll take Frostbolt. A cosmetic glyph could make it have shards of ice around it, or make it like an actual ball of ice (like a snowball), or something like that. An Ability glyph could be increasing its crit chance, a straight damage buff, things like that. The Addon glyph could be like Frostbolt now shoots X amount more bolts that hit additional targets, or it now has a chance to freeze the target for X seconds, things like that. Using either ability or addon glyphs, one or the other, and the mana cost goes up by X%. Using both, it goes up by X% x2, or maybe gains a CD, or something like that. Or, there could be hard to find glyphs that take up both Ability and Addon slots but do something extremely useful, like maybe morphing an ability into another, more powerful version. (Say, changing Frostbolt and Fireball into Frostfire Bolt for both fire and frost builds, which does much more damage than the base version. The trade-off being that you don't get to give it an addon, and you have to deal with the increased cost, whatever it may be).

Each slot would have several choices, which would increase the overall glyph pool dramatically, for sure. But it could potentially also make it so not one specific glyph set for any given spell is useful in all situations. Maybe in PvP you want the one that can freeze the target, but would overall be useless in PvE for dungeons and raids (would probably be good for solo though). Or maybe you're running a frost crit build, so you go with the increased crit chance. Or all you do is run dungeons, so you roll with the one that turns it into an AoE ability.

This would be a huge addition to the game, but I feel it would allow a lot more customization for abilities and such. Anyway, just brainstorming. I'm sure someone will be along shortly to poke holes all in this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

that sounds like the fastest way to make class balance even more hell

Azerite is essentially the bastard child of glyphs and the nether crucible.. with some of th shallow sides of the artifacts spliced into the mix.

7+ Year Old Account
    I want cosmetic glyphs.

Many, many cosmetic glyphs.

As cosmetic modifiers, absolutely. It's annoying how some glyphs had to be relearned again and again from different sources even though you had them already .. and now, most of them are just gone.

I think if it worked something like the legendary system in Legion it would be a good system. You have a bunch of different effects to choose from but you can only pick 2.

Deleted
    Personally I really liked the concept of glyphs.

But their iteration was flawed from the beginning.
    Instead of making them a pure DPS increase, they could have used them to alter significantly how spells work to make rotations customizable.

Just a few examples out of brainstorming:

Glyph that makes Flurry proc Icy Fingers and Brainfreeze, so it could replace frostbolt. You can tune the procrates to be similar in DPS but it would change how frost mages feel.

Glyph of Titans Grip, that makes Prot Warriors capable of holding a 2hand weapon (shield+spear?) but of cours egives a flat -% damage so it is DPS neutral.

Glyph that turns Mind Flay into a cast for direct damage rather a channeld dot.

Something that lets you customize how a class feels without altering how it performs.

And of course glyphs that could change the appearence of your spells. Like turning all shadow spells into holy ones. Or Frostfire spells for for fire mages.

Optional glyphs are fine. Nothing more, nothing less.

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Only for visuals on spells, shape-shift forms and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by kinna View Post
    Yes, I eould like to have the woltk iteration back.

Cosmetic ? sure

Anything that matter to performance ? hell no

Quote Originally Posted by kinna View Post
    As a cosmetic thing, would be nice. Such as turning cc into a goat rather a sheep.

Fucking yes. Inscription is so bad rn

10+ Year Old Account
    as a fun custumisation to spells and abilities I would love them to. But I think the main problem with them initially was balance and blizzard find it hard enough to balance classes as it is let alone with more stuff on top of it :P

I would love to have a frostfire mage spell appearance personally. I miss frostfire Bolt
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Deleted
    The Relics/Netherlight Crucible/Azerite are basically the old Major Glyph system.

You still pick a few out of a bunch of "glyphs" which enhance your abilities in a minor but noticeable way.
    The only difference is that you don't buy them from other players but instead unlock them through the prestige levels / reworked Path of the Titans. The effects are nearly identical.

The bfa PvP talent system is going to use this system as well and resemble the old Glyph style choice where glyphs/talents remain in a collection tab and you can swap them freely.

The old Glyphs are still here and aren't going anywhere. It's just the UI and the unlock process that aren't the same.