Is it ever stated what clan that player orc characters are/were from?

Unless clans are outdated in the modern horde and the new generation we play as don't really follow that structure any more. But that would contradict the current philosophy which allows the Warsong, Frostwolves, Dragonmaw, etc to still be a thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    In the volcanic ashlands of northwestern Georgia (Also known as Atlanta).
    Quote Originally Posted by Giovaaa View Post
    Unless clans are outdated in the modern horde and the new generation we play as don't really follow that structure any more. But that would contradict the current philosophy which allows the Warsong, Frostwolves, Dragonmaw, etc to still be a thing.
    It's whatever clan you want to be, so long as it was one of the clans that came through The Dark Portal, or a new clan formed after the liberation from the internment camps. The game fully supports either concept, as I recall the guild master in Orgrimmar specifically asking if you want to "register a new clan".
    Some people really like flavor. Occasionally subsisting on nutrient paste just doesn't feel the same as eating a steak. I get that flavor isn't for everyone, but I doubt removing all cosmetic indicators from the game would be appealing either. Nobody want to log in, queue to fight modestly sized blue checked box boss #7, initiate combat using an attack sequence of abilities 1-7 with a 13 beat repeat coda intermittently, and collect item level 630 slot 7 gear either.

No its never stated. Likely left intentionally ambiguous so people could RP or headcannon as whatever clan they want.

10+ Year Old Account
    You are in whatever clan you want to be from...you can be from a made up clan if it pleases you.

Clans sort of became homogenized the longer the original Horde existed. There were, of course, some still part of specific clans - there still were by the time of Burning Crusade, as well. However, some clans like the Whiteclaw were mostly destroyed and scattered, making the clan no more. Some like the Burning Blade were mostly fel corrupted, making their original ideals completely different - the Searing Blade branched off from them. Similarly, the Rageroar, Stormreaver, and Twilight's Hammer were made after the formation of the Horde, from members of other clans. This would be homogenized further when the orcs were put into internment camps in Lordaeron - they knew their original clans, but they were mostly connected to each other for simply being orcs - similarly for the Mag'har in Garadar, as well, who were from all clans as well.

The difference is, however, some clans have been mostly isolated. The Frostwolves stayed, mostly, in Alterac after coming to Azeroth. The Dragonmaw were newly formed after coming to Azeroth, and stayed mostly in the Wetlands/Twilight Highlands due to their role in Grim Batol during the Second War.

So, yes, player orcs could still have clans that they came from - but it's left purposefully vague for the player to have the choice of which one they specifically came from.
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    btw: Spires of Arak = Arakkoa.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotrip View Post
    It's whatever clan you want to be, so long as it was one of the clans that came through The Dark Portal, or a new clan formed after the liberation from the internment camps. The game fully supports either concept, as I recall the guild master in Orgrimmar specifically asking if you want to "register a new clan".
    I like how you kinda had a backstory in Dragon Age Inquisitor and Guild Wars 2 kinda wished blizz took that route but its ok to me.

The Frostwolf, Warsong and Dragonmaw are the only clans still active. Though the Warsong seem to be mostly integrated now and the Dragonmaw haven't been mentioned since the siege of Orgirmmar. The orcs that came from the internment camps no longer use the the clan system. So officially player orcs come from no clan, but can descend from the Blackrock, Black Tooth Grin, Dragonmaw, Burning Blade, Bleeding Hollow, Shattered Hand, Warsong or Frostwolf clans.

The "MU" Blackrock clan and Burning Blade still exist but are not part of the horde (but indivduals formerly from those clans are).

The Bleeding Hollow, Shattered Hand, Bonechewer, Shadowmoon and a branch of the Dragonmaw clans are still active in Outland as Fel Orcs.

A non-corrupted branch of the Bleeding Hollow clan also survies in Outland, but have possibly integrated into the "MU" Mag'har. The Mag'har, like the main Horde, also originate from many clans but don't use the clan system any more.

Playable Mag'har orcs come from the "AU" Blackrock, Warsong, Bleeding Hollow, Laughing Skull, Shadowmoon, Frostwolf and possibly Thunderlord clans. But honestly a playable Mag'har could just as easily come from Outland (as long as you ignore the lore of the unlock scenario).
    Last edited by Netherspark; 2018-04-23 at 02:10 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    In the volcanic ashlands of northwestern Georgia (Also known as Atlanta).
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    The Frostwolf, Warsong and Dragonmaw are the only clans still active. Though the Warsong seem to be mostly integrated now and the Dragonmaw haven't been mentioned since the siege of Orgirmmar. The orcs that came from the internment camps no longer use the the clan system. So officially player orcs come from no clan.

The "MU" Blackrock clan and Burning Blade still exist but are not part of the horde (but indivduals formerly from those clans are).

The Bleeding Hollow, Shattered Hand, Bonechewer, Shadowmoon and a branch of the Dragonmaw clans are still active in Outland as Fel Orcs.

A non-corrupted branch of the Bleeding Hollow clan also survies in Outland, but have possibly integrated into the "MU" Mag'har. The Mag'har, like the main Horde, also originate from many clans but don't use the clan system any more.

Playable Mag'har orcs come from the "AU" Blackrock, Warsong, Bleeding Hollow, Laughing Skull, Shadowmoon, Frostwolf, Shattered Hand and possibly Thunderlord clans. But honestly a playable Mag'har could just as easily come from Outland (as long as you ignore the lore of the unlock scenario).
    The MU Blackrock Clan joined the Horde back in Cataclysm. Most of them anyway. There were still a few crazy stragglers in Blackrock Spire until relatively recently.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dellis0991 View Post
    I like how you kinda had a backstory in Dragon Age Inquisitor and Guild Wars 2 kinda wished blizz took that route but its ok to me.
    While I love Dragon Age, I would hate this for WoW. I want as much RP freedom within the established lore as possible.
    Some people really like flavor. Occasionally subsisting on nutrient paste just doesn't feel the same as eating a steak. I get that flavor isn't for everyone, but I doubt removing all cosmetic indicators from the game would be appealing either. Nobody want to log in, queue to fight modestly sized blue checked box boss #7, initiate combat using an attack sequence of abilities 1-7 with a 13 beat repeat coda intermittently, and collect item level 630 slot 7 gear either.

No, but I wish they did. I feel like there could be some good story to play with there, we got a bit of it with Garrosh + Dragonmaw.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

at this point any of the original clans that invaded are pretty much part of the horde. take your pick. I don't think any single clan up and left entirely

Only thing you can't really do is play legit shattered hand due to how few classes can use the shattered hand styled weapons that replace a hand.

To me the most logical origin of the playable Orc is from the internment camps. The Frostwolves and Warsong still have their strong identity and Thrall never freed them. From there, the clan pool grows as many of those Orcs came from different clans, mostly unnamed clans as most of the named clans stayed in their clan structure.

So i personally think you're born in the camps and your parents are likely from a lesser unnamed clan.