Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Question want an ultra wide monitor need help

Have money set aside for new monitors and its not looking like 4k 144htz ones are coming out any time soon so im looking at getting some new monitors now. Want something with gysnc, close to 144htz and 21:9 ratio. was looking at asus PG348Q for almost $1200 vs Acer Predator for $975. Anyone have a suggestion either way or a completely different monitor I should consider? Running i9-7900x, 2 evga gtx 1080ti ftw3 11gb gpus in sli and 64gb memory. Thanks for any suggestions and if you need any other info just ask and I will try to provide what i can.

Deleted
    The X34 and the PG348Q are literally the exact same panel, so you'll be making your choice based on looks, price or whatever matters to you more, but the parts are exactly the same so you can't go wrong with whatever you choose. Those models are about 2 years old now.

The Alienware AW3418DW is about 4 months old and offers almost the same specs except for a slightly higher refresh rate.

If you can wait until Q3/Q4, the X35 and the PG35VQ will be available by then, offering Ultra-wide 1440p @ 200hz, G-Sync, HDR.

Why do people like ultrawides so much? Not only is gaming support sketchy at best, nearly all of the content on the internet is made for a 16:9 screen, you would have black bars almost 100% of the time lol.

Sure lots of movies are filmed at 21:9 but are you really watching movies at your PC rather than a proper home theatre setup with a OLED or a local dimming tv?

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Why do people like ultrawides so much? Not only is gaming support sketchy at best, nearly all of the content on the internet is made for a 16:9 screen, you would have black bars almost 100% of the time lol.

Sure lots of movies are filmed at 21:9 but are you really watching movies at your PC rather than a proper home theatre setup with a OLED or a local dimming tv?
    A bigger screen covers more of your field of vision, thus enhances your immersion. Support is lacking today, but the format is popular, and no radical changes to the content has to be made. So it's likely that ultrawide will have more or less full support "tomorrow".
    Also, there are a lot of people that don't have the space, money or blessing from the better half to install a proper home theater.
    Mother pus bucket!

I think you're vastly underestimating 21:9 support. There are almost never black bars on my screen let alone anything near "100% of the time". Gaming support is not sketchy. I know you know your shit when it comes to hardware but you're pretty far off base here. Even netflix has 21:9 support now so...

Deleted
    I own the 29UM68-p 21:9 monitor and I have to say it works wonders in MMOs and league (once you figure out how to make it work correctly) but if I could go back I would have gotten 2x 16:9 monitors the premium for the screen just isn't worth the hassle to set it up in most games and for what 20% extra width?.

If you ever plan to do recording/streaming it's a lot harder then the guides make it out to be even with 3rd party software that are designed to divide the screen into 3 or 2 sections games ignore them completely.

Just my 2 cents get ISP 144htz Monitors it'll probably work out cheaper if not the same for 2 full screens not 1.2 screens
    Last edited by mmoc157db6de0e; 2018-04-23 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo X View Post
    I think you're vastly underestimating 21:9 support. There are almost never black bars on my screen let alone anything near "100% of the time". Gaming support is not sketchy. I know you know your shit when it comes to hardware but you're pretty far off base here. Even netflix has 21:9 support now so...
    Overwatch does not support 21:9, that fact alone makes me question the overall support of the format.

Overwatch does not support 21:9, that fact alone makes me question the overall support of the format.
    Does not support as in it just clips off a barely noticeable amount yes. I've played both before and after and it is not as big a deal as everyone says. Overwatch is an outlier though and hardly the norm. I have not run into a game that doesn't support it yet. The ones that don't can be near effortlessly fixed with flawless widescreen (and those are basically games before the introduction of the format).

Its really not as bad as everyone seems to make it out to be. I've also noticed the most outspoken about it are the people who don't have an ultrawide.

You are right i dont have an ultrawide, and never will unless overwatch adds official support lol.

You are kind of missing the point i am making it seems, overwatch is basically the most popular game on the planet (at least for FPS/competitive games) and it does not support the format. You call it an outlier, i call it a deal breaker.

- - - Updated - - -

Also how does youtube not have black bars on 21:9 content? I just did a quick google search and most point to a plugin, which no matter what way it converts 16:9 to 21:9 you are going to lose content.

Its just a bad idea to go against the mainstream format even if things like netflix and most games support it. My 2c.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Been using an ultrawide since late 2012, most games do support the aspect these days (and they look epic) the notable exceptions are bad console ports and a couple of games like Starcraft 2 that deliberately lock the aspect to prevent ultrawide users gaining a competitive advantage. As far as the internet goes, the content these days is actually aimed at square screens so it can be viewed in portrait on a phone/tablet, that's why this site has thick green bars to the sides even on a 16:9 screen.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes it does, all Blizzard games do apart from SC2 (and pre-2000 ones).

All i can say is i owned a samsung galaxy s8 with a 18.5:9 ratio and i hated it...and that was just on a phone.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Been using an ultrawide since late 2012, most games do support the aspect these days (and they look epic) the notable exceptions are bad console ports and a couple of games like Starcraft 2 that deliberately lock the aspect to prevent ultrawide users gaining a competitive advantage. As far as the internet goes, the content these days is actually aimed at square screens so it can be viewed in portrait on a phone/tablet, that's why this site has thick green bars to the sides even on a 16:9 screen.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes it does, all Blizzard games do apart from SC2 (and pre-2000 ones).
    No, it doesn't.

21:9 kicks ass for the desktop. It also kicks ass for games that support it. But that is where you will run into problems. A lot of games don't support it (getting rarer but still a good chunk). If you can accept RIGHT NOW that a lot of titles you purchase will have 2 massive black bars down each side while a normal sizes monitor is sitting in the middle displaying some of your games then you are good. If that is going to bother you than don't bother. It doesn't mess with me at all so its great. But I also use the screen to do a lot of stuff from work where desktop size and stuff like that is AMAZING.

You are right i dont have an ultrawide, and never will unless overwatch adds official support lol.

You are kind of missing the point i am making it seems, overwatch is basically the most popular game on the planet (at least for FPS/competitive games) and it does not support the format. You call it an outlier, i call it a deal breaker.

- - - Updated - - -

Also how does youtube not have black bars on 21:9 content? I just did a quick google search and most point to a plugin, which no matter what way it converts 16:9 to 21:9 you are going to lose content.

Its just a bad idea to go against the mainstream format even if things like netflix and most games support it. My 2c.
    I think most competitive/e-sports games don't support ultrawide as it would give an unfair advantage.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo X View Post
    I've also noticed the most outspoken about it are the people who don't have an ultrawide.
    It's kind of funny, reminds me of the 4:3/5:4 users back in the day that were still claiming 16:10/16:9 was a fad even as market share started to swing XD

We're now deep into the 16:9 to 21:9 transition, every year there are more 21:9 released than before and less 16:9 and it's only going to get faster from here on out.

- - - Updated - - -

No, it doesn't.
    It does I was playing it last night in 21:9 on my Dell U2913WM.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    I think most competitive/e-sports games don't support ultrawide as it would give an unfair advantage.
    The only one I can think of off hand is SC2. HotS didn't in alpha but that was because it was based on the SC2 engine and it needed to be patched in.

It's kind of funny, reminds me of the 4:3/5:4 users back in the day that were still claiming 16:10/16:9 was a fad even as market share started to swing XD

We're now deep into the 16:9 to 21:9 transition, every year there are more 21:9 released than before and less 16:9 and it's only going to get faster from here on out.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

The only one I can think of off hand is SC2. HotS didn't in alpha but that was because it was based on the SC2 engine and it needed to be patched in.
    Sure you can boot the game up but its not all on the screen lol.

Like i dont care if you guys love 21:9 thats cool by me, just dont spread misinformation.

- - - Updated - - -

Also if you watch a lot of youtube like myself it would be an absolutely terrible idea to buy a 21:9 monitor. How about twitch, thats probably a terrible experience as well.

It's a dealbreaker for him because it cuts off a negligible portion of the screen that you wouldn't even notice unless someone told you.

Some of you guys think black bars are way more prevalent than they are. Its honestly weird. Only game I can name that I've had black bars in is injustice. There weren't any during cutscenes only during gameplay (and injustice 2 fixed that). Every other game I just get to see more than you guys I guess lmao.

Like i dont care if you guys love 21:9 thats cool by me, just dont spread misinformation.
    Spreading misinformation like "you'll have black bars near 100% of the time"?

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Sure you can boot the game up but its not all on the screen lol.
    Odd, looks fine to me, no nasty black bars to be seen :P

just dont spread misinformation.
    Hopefully you won't in future, it wasn't my intention to embarrass you, but you did call me a liar.
    Last edited by caervek; 2018-04-23 at 02:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Overwatch has reduced FoV for ultrawides since it would be competitively unfair. But that's only really a thing for games which are supposed to be very competitive, most games, that aren't ancient, aren't, and run just fine with increased FoV.

It's great when having multiple windows open. You could go 2+ screens instead but man, the lack of middle border is just SO nice. Most games I play support 21:9 and if not, the black bars are fine. I must say that I've enjoyed my Acer Predator at most when programming. Code editor, servers, browser windows and more do take a shit ton of space, 21:9 helps a lot The gaming aspect was cool in the beginning, now that I'm used to it though, I don't really think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    Overwatch has reduced FoV for ultrawides since it would be competitively unfair. But that's only really a thing for games which are supposed to be very competitive, most games, that aren't ancient, aren't, and run just fine with increased FoV.
    Since when? Played retribution campaign thingy and I didn't notice any reduction compared to some weeks ago when I played ranked and that was with a full 21:9.

Quote Originally Posted by lazybum View Post
    Have money set aside for new monitors and its not looking like 4k 144htz ones are coming out any time soon so im looking at getting some new monitors now. Want something with gysnc, close to 144htz and 21:9 ratio. was looking at asus PG348Q for almost $1200 vs Acer Predator for $975. Anyone have a suggestion either way or a completely different monitor I should consider? Running i9-7900x, 2 evga gtx 1080ti ftw3 11gb gpus in sli and 64gb memory. Thanks for any suggestions and if you need any other info just ask and I will try to provide what i can.
    I'm using a "Acer 34" Predator X34A G-Sync IPS Curved Swivel" and I'm super satisfied with it. Though I've never before used a 21:9 so might just be that I'm really digging 21:9 more than 16:9 but still, good color, good enough Hz (100 clocked) and with G-Sync.
    Last edited by Zephire; 2018-04-23 at 02:33 PM.
    Well met!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iem View Post
    Man even if Blizzard gave players bars of gold, they would complain that they were too heavy.