Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Odd, looks fine to me, no nasty black bars to be seen :P

Hopefully you won't in future, it wasn't my intention to embarrass you, but you did call me a liar.
    Are you slow? Now open up a 16:9 screen right next to it and tell me you see everything on your 21:9.

What the hell is with this forum today, not only are you guys incorrect about overwatch but my examples of twitch and youtube go completely unnoticed. Its like this is now a 21:9 owners thread with people justifying their purchases in the face of legitimate criticisms lol.

Galaxy s8 with a 18.5:9 ratio was all the experience i needed to know ultrawide isnt for me, people in the market for the tech can take that as they will.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    Overwatch has reduced FoV for ultrawides since it would be competitively unfair. But that's only really a thing for games which are supposed to be very competitive, most games, that aren't ancient, aren't, and run just fine with increased FoV.
    Yall should listen to artorius, resident monitor expert round here. Also the discussion isnt only about games, does no one watch youtube or twitch? Like come on lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephire View Post
    Since when? Played retribution campaign thingy and I didn't notice any reduction compared to some weeks ago when I played ranked and that was with a full 21:9.
    It always had reduced FoV, it's the same as it would be on 16:9 but cropped.

It always had reduced FoV, it's the same as it would be on 16:9 but cropped.
    So you mean I play with a disadvantage on a 21:9 setting?
    Well met!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iem View Post
    Man even if Blizzard gave players bars of gold, they would complain that they were too heavy.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    What the hell is with this forum today, not only are you guys incorrect about overwatch but my examples of twitch and youtube go completely unnoticed.
    Well you did edit them in, people don't always go back to see if posts they have already replied too change, but now you've mentioned it:
    Also if you watch a lot of youtube like myself it would be an absolutely terrible idea to buy a 21:9 monitor.
    Youtube and Twitch wokr fine on a 21:9 screen, for reference my 21:9 is flanked by a pair of 16:9 screens, I can juggle videos and all sort of apps between the three while working (and often have too with the cat rolling around the desk), videos look just as good on all three (except 21:9 videos, they require the centre screen).

Its like this is now a 21:9 owners thread with people justifying their purchases in the face of legitimate criticisms lol.
    It's more a case of 21:9 owners laughing off weak attempts at hating from a 16:9 dinosaur, no worries though, we got the same crap from the 4:3/5:4 owners back when the industry was transitioning to 16:10/16:9 screens, this transition is nothing new.

Yes...
    https://www.pcgamer.com/overwatchs-n...field-of-view/

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    No you play with an adjusted FOV, just like you would with a 16:10, 5:4, 4:3, etc screen. This has to be done in FPS games (and in the Quake III days you had to do it manually /shudder) otherwise things look weird because the width and height of the FOV are so different to human perception.

As far as gameplay goes there's no noticeable advantage like in some games nor any disadvantage it just looks cooler in 21:9.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, you lose everything that was in the bottom and top parts of the panel.

The entire image is what a normal 16:9 monitor would display in OW. A 21:9 monitor loses the orange parts and only displays the middle, in cyan, of the total image.

Note that this is not the case for most FPS games, most of them will just give you increased FoV and are done with it.

This represents most other games, which give an increased FoV for ultrawides. In cyan you can see what a 16:9 display shows in comparison.
    Last edited by Artorius; 2018-04-23 at 03:00 PM.

Yeah, you lose everything that was in the bottom and top parts of the panel.

The entire image is what a normal 16:9 monitor would display in OW. A 21:9 monitor loses the orange parts and only displays the middle, in cyan, of the total image.
    Right, I know that but I also thought I'd get borders rather than cropping. Explains why I've been doing bad! (No, I just can't aim, I suck despite the best settings :/ ). Cheers for the clarification.
    Last edited by Zephire; 2018-04-23 at 02:59 PM.
    Well met!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iem View Post
    Man even if Blizzard gave players bars of gold, they would complain that they were too heavy.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Explains why I've been doing bad!
    Hate to be the bearer of bad news but the game plays the same in 16:9 and 21:9 despite the differences (I play on both depending on which has a cat in front of it).

Hey at least we can agree on the sucking part

My max rating is 2890 something and im always in the 2550-2700 range cant seem to get higher.

Are you slow? Now open up a 16:9 screen right next to it and tell me you see everything on your 21:9.

What the hell is with this forum today, not only are you guys incorrect about overwatch but my examples of twitch and youtube go completely unnoticed. Its like this is now a 21:9 owners thread with people justifying their purchases in the face of legitimate criticisms lol.
    My main bone to pick was the frequency you said it occurred. You picked one game (when even in that game its been a very controversial topic on the forums) and then twitch/youtube. I just wanted to weigh in and say it doesn't happen that often that you are without support and even twitch and youtube are plenty fine experiences especially since black bars go somewhat unnoticed on a 34 inch. I didn't mean for this to be an argument over something so subjective (because black bars obviously bother you more than me). I apologize.

Also UW hasn't kept me from 4k rating in OW

does world of warcraft support ultra wide?

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyMark View Post
    Go for HP Monitor.
    Care to explain why? Or are you just post-farming to get the 10 to post links? Join date in April, 2018? Sounds like spam.

Anyways, @OP...

I'd say go for ASUS, we have a tendency to hear about Acer products being cheap and thus bricking way too quickly. I'd also advise on Samsung, if you wanted to consider another brand. However, I am not so sure there's any G-Sync Samsungs.

Why exactly do you want G-Sync?

- - - Updated - - -

Why do people like ultrawides so much? Not only is gaming support sketchy at best, nearly all of the content on the internet is made for a 16:9 screen, you would have black bars almost 100% of the time lol.
    Incorrect. Don't talk about things you do not have any experience on. Black bars? What black bars? I've had this monitor for 3 years now and I actually have found a lot of proper theatrical content displays without ANY black bars, the same cannot be said for 16:9 monitors. Websites don't just have black bars. Gah, you should really learn to only post about things you've experienced and know absolutely for certain.

Sure lots of movies are filmed at 21:9 but are you really watching movies at your PC rather than a proper home theatre setup with a OLED or a local dimming tv?
    As @tankbug said, money and blessings from the better half usually stop people from having home theaters.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by Flevor View Post
    does world of warcraft support ultra wide?
    Yes it does, apart from the menus, which still have black bars.

Im currently using 2 27" 1440 144 htz monitors and just want some bigger ones. Usually I play on one screen/watch youtube/movies while I have discord and web browsing open on the other screen. Never had 16:9 or 21:9 monitors either way just have some money burning a hole in my pocket that I have set aside for monitors and this is the reason I am looking for new ones. Will end up giving my brother my current monitors as I have done last few times I buy new ones.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Anyways, @OP...

I'd say go for ASUS, we have a tendency to hear about Acer products being cheap and thus bricking way too quickly. I'd also advise on Samsung, if you wanted to consider another brand. However, I am not so sure there's any G-Sync Samsungs.

Why exactly do you want G-Sync?
    Really I guess no real reason just have 2 1080ti's in sli so figure i would go with one with Gysnc. But currently im not even playing any game son my PC just use it for youtube and web browsing. I quit wow prob year or so ago, destiny 2 was a disaster so really only game I have played lately has been diablo 3.

I have a decent home theater and almost never use it in favor of my PC. I get bored sitting on the couch watching stuff as I cant really multi-task like I can on the PC. To also tackle the point of youtube/twitch on UWs. I have an UW so I can look at multiple things at once side by side. Outside of movies/series I literally never maximize anything.

If I had to recommend a monitor it would be the Alienware for the 120hz. You can also find it on sale quite often.
    Desktop: i7 6700k @ 4.8GHz | MSI 1080ti Gaming X | EVGA Classified K | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw V @ 3200MHz | Samsung 950 Pro 256GB (OS) Micron 2TB SSD (Games) | Seasonic 750W Titanium | Corsair 750D | Acer x34 Predator Benq PD3200U
    HIDevolution NP9877 Laptop: Delidded i7 8700k @ 4.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 1080 | 16GB G.Skill @ 2946MHz | Samsung 950 Pro 256GB (OS) 2x 500GB SSDs (Games) | 1440p 120HZ GSync Display

Once you play wow on an ultra wide you will never go back!! I just recently upgraded to the ROG xg35v gaming panel and let just say.. WOW!! Every game I have played lately has supported ultra wide. Just a game changer and will only get better!!

10+ Year Old Account

Galaxy s8 with a 18.5:9 ratio was all the experience i needed to know ultrawide isnt for me, people in the market for the tech can take that as they will.

- - - Updated - - -

Yall should listen to artorius, resident monitor expert round here. Also the discussion isnt only about games, does no one watch youtube or twitch? Like come on lol.
    Believe it or not, there's a solid amount of content on YouTube that fits wonderfully to 21:9. Some people actually upload content in that aspect ratio! Just search 3440x1440 content. You'd be surprised! Though... you wouldn't be able to tell, since you don't have a 21:9 monitor to experience it.

Your phone... lol. That does not at all remotely make for a fair comparison or to say that you can tell what you do or don't like.

There's a reason ultrawide is getting saturated in the market. People like it.

Artorius isn't the only monitor expert. Let's not forget @Remilia.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lazybum View Post
    Im currently using 2 27" 1440 144 htz monitors and just want some bigger ones. Usually I play on one screen/watch youtube/movies while I have discord and web browsing open on the other screen. Never had 16:9 or 21:9 monitors either way just have some money burning a hole in my pocket that I have set aside for monitors and this is the reason I am looking for new ones. Will end up giving my brother my current monitors as I have done last few times I buy new ones.

- - - Updated - - -

Really I guess no real reason just have 2 1080ti's in sli so figure i would go with one with Gysnc. But currently im not even playing any game son my PC just use it for youtube and web browsing. I quit wow prob year or so ago, destiny 2 was a disaster so really only game I have played lately has been diablo 3.
    Aha. Well... I can say D3 only sort of supports the UW monitors. If I recall right, I have to have it in full screen windowed or something like that. It takes some tinkering, but looks as good as D3 can. (Not very good.) lol =X

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by WiggleTillFriday View Post
    Once you play wow on an ultra wide you will never go back!! I just recently upgraded to the ROG xg35v gaming panel and let just say.. WOW!! Every game I have played lately has supported ultra wide. Just a game changer and will only get better!!
    This. I have no intention of returning to 16:9. Generally the games I like support it or I find a way to make them support it. I have a video for supporting Skyrim on this resolution that has quite a plethora of views, so.
    "A flower.

Well this whole thread has gotten off topic a bit I suppose, would like people to suggest monitors as to ones they want or ones they are using personally.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lazybum View Post
    Well this whole thread has gotten off topic a bit I suppose, would like people to suggest monitors as to ones they want or ones they are using personally.
    Mine is not really current anymore, but it's one of the better ones in the history of Ultrawides from what I can tell. Its colors are pretty awesome but it's not really meant for any competitive gaming or anything. The Samsung S34e790c. It could be better, but I've not seen any Ultrawides yet that make me want to upgrade. I want the 4k UW equivalent, which has not been made yet. Or 5k. :P Plus 144Hz refresh would be niiiiiiiice...
    "A flower.