Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Which Plate melee class is most Newb friendly?

Hello, if you play Frost Death Knight, or Arms Warrior, or Ret Paladin, in your opinion which of those melee dps specs are most newb friendly ? I don't want to start a discussion of which is better, or comparing who's more bad ass. Lets keep this civil and professional please.

I am asking in general, if your a somewhat a fresh spec'd character, lets say like i930 or so ( which is extremely easy to get to right away ) and have like 63 AK on your artifact weapon, so all traits filled, and at at least one slot filled in for Nether.

Like that's a couple of my characters, both my Warrior and Paladin have been Protection Tanks for years, I never tried a dps class on them, until this weekend, I went for the Arms and Ret artifact quests and grabbed some AP from several WQs and immediately that put me up to 60+ AK.

So my question is, which of these three, Frost DK, Arms War, and Ret Pal, is easiest to learn and pick up and get good rotation going with respectable dps ?

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Frost DK is pretty damn easy. I just started one and figured out a decent rotation almost immediately. Plus some of the talents make for decent burst potential too.

All three specs are incredibly easy with Frost DK maybe being slightly easier, however it really should just depend on which one you enjoy more. Why not give all three a try and see how you feel about their rotations?

Frost DK.

10frostchars
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

My Death Knight was always a Blood Tank, but at Antorus launch, I tried out Frost, and came to really like it. Super fast attack speed, simple and easy rotation, and not hard to dish out good damage. Been playing my Frost Knight for 4+ months or so, and love this class, he's a bad ass at i955. But I also wanted to test out Warrior and Paladin dps specs too.

Arms Warrior seems pretty straightforward too, not too hard to learn to get a nice rotation or whatever they call it today, and dish out good dps. I love the mobility with this class, Charge + Leap make it seem so much faster to get around. I like Arms, it's fun and simple.

Ret Paladin; this one seems harder for me to get comfortable with, a simple rotation like Frost, it is not. Plus my character is stuck in mainly Tank spec'd gear still, and I have zero dps Legendary's equipped, but just got the Legendary ring "Soul of the Highlord" but can't equip until I find any decent Legs to replace my Tank leggo pants, otherwise if I quip Highlord, I'll be pantsless. This Ret Paladin seems slow on spell casting, some cd waiting on spells to be ready, and can't get into the grove yet with this class.

- - - Updated - - -

Please look at my gear and offer suggestions;

Warrior;
    https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch...uljin/dingowar

Paladin; ( but he's still in old Tank gear, I need to pick up dps gear )
    https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch...jin/darthdingo
    Last edited by Zorachus; 2018-04-23 at 05:35 PM.

Arms warrior definitely easiest.

Your rotation is:

Colossus Smash
    Mortal Strike
    Slam until MS is off CD or you get a Tactician proc, then start over.

In Execute range, you use:
    Execute x2
    CS if reset
    MS

And repeat that until the boss dies.

Frost and Ret have a lot of nuance and split second if/then decision making to take your damage from a blue to an epic parse. The only thing that’ll really effect your DPS as Arms if you follow the above is the RNG of Tactician resets.
    Last edited by Nefarious Tea; 2018-04-23 at 03:35 PM.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

Quote Originally Posted by Veredyn View Post
    Arms warrior. Your rotation is:

Colossus Smash
    Mortal Strike
    Slam until MS is off CD or you get a Tactician proc, then start over.

In Execute range, you use:
    Execute x2
    CS if reset
    MS

And repeat that until the boss dies.

Right on brother, thx Arms is a ton of fun.

I love the fast-paced style of Fury. Give that a go if you haven't already.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorachus View Post
    Right on brother, thx Arms is a ton of fun.
    Arms isn’t the top dog for DPS but it’s a simple, intuitive, and visceral spec. You hit that double execute, CS, then dump a six or seven million damage MS crit into a mob, you can just FEEL how nice the spec is to play - and in BFA it’s hardly changing because the artifact passives allowing the rotation are sticking around, either baseline or as talents.

Personally I have more issues with arms than frost, but I haven't played frost with bad gear in ages and my arms gear probably sucks by any definition of the word. But besides that, arms just feels alot less streamlined and personally I think the CDs are kinda awkward. Retribution just feels atrocious, outside of burning trashpacks of 4 in dungeons. In general I can't stand the hard cooldown on generator abilities. Arms has alot of sweet sweet mobility though, that is a definite plus.

Death Knight is named the Noob Knight. You can't go wrong on something that is so easy.

The easiest? Definitely Retri Paladin...never played a twink that easy.
    War within is boring and lazy - beat me to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Raevene View Post
    I love the fast-paced style of Fury. Give that a go if you haven't already.
    Actually I did try Fury a few months ago, and for some reason I sucked balls at Fury, could never get much more than 750k dps tops. Just didn't feel comfortable with Fury, it didn't sit right with me. Now brand new to Arms this weekend, running Antorus Normal I was doing 1.1m dps, with this spec being completely new to me, and not geared for it.

So out of three Plate melee calsses I have tried, I rate them;

Frost DK #1 = Easy to get going, simple rotation, and dishing out 1.5m dps is a no brainer.

Arms Warrior #2 = Pretty straightforward almost like the Frost DK, does high damage with not needing to be an expert, and the rotation seems to flow pretty well.

Ret Paladin = Maybe I'm not playing it right, but having a difficult time with this spec, doing low dps, and seems to be lot of cd's, and the rotation or flow of Ret is not straightforward to me at all, compared to Frost and Arms. It seems potentially like a fun class, maybe I need the good Legendary's and 4pc T21 to make this spec flow better ?
    Last edited by Zorachus; 2018-04-23 at 04:05 PM.

Arms is pretty easy to play, but if you fuck it up you fuck it up bad. It's hard to recover your DPS if you make a mistake.

Ret seems similar, but the mistakes are less costly. I personally have trouble with the flow of Ret. I find it a bit jittery.

Frost has ever so slightly harder resource management (in my opinion) but a really simple rotation with lower risk.

Fury is probably the most involved of the specs, but it isn't a huge learning curve. I find it the most gear dependent though.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorachus View Post
    Ret Paladin = Maybe I'm not playing it right, but having a difficult time with this spec, doing low dps, and seems to be lot of cd's, and the rotation or flow of Ret is not straightforward to me at all, compared to Frost and Arms. It seems potentially like a fun class, maybe I need the good Legendary's and 4pc T21 to make this spec flow better ?
    Especially if you just copy and paste the current meta build you are pretty much required to have that, yes, at least if you want to shine while farming legendaries .

The theory is not hard either, you always want to use the hammer before you spend your holy power stuff, it's just that there is really not alot to do there and the CD's/procs can make that often kinda awkward. That you can only have 2 overflow charges is imho what it boils down to for me. I often find myself either waiting for the next hammer, dishing out a weaker version of my attack or overcapping resources. It just feels kinda bad and slow imho.

Easy:
    Frost DK
    Ret Paladin

Trash mechanically:
    Arms
    Fury

Fun:
    Unholy

Quote Originally Posted by Veredyn View Post
    Arms warrior definitely easiest.
    how dare you

Quote Originally Posted by shyguybman View Post
    how dare you
    I said it was easy, not that it was bad. Don’t get your chainmail knickers in a twist. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Especially if you just copy and paste the current meta build you are pretty much required to have that, yes, at least if you want to shine while farming legendaries .

The theory is not hard either, you always want to use the hammer before you spend your holy power stuff, it's just that there is really not alot to do there and the CD's/procs can make that often kinda awkward. That you can only have 2 overflow charges is imho what it boils down to for me. I often find myself either waiting for the next hammer, dishing out a weaker version of my attack or overcapping resources. It just feels kinda bad and slow imho.

Yeah Ret compared to Frost and Arms is just not comfortable for me. With Frost and Arms it's an easy smooth flowing rotation or spells to cast, and not really waiting or much cd's to speak of. But Ret just seems like a laundry list of stuff to wait on, and when Judgement not ready or not enough hp for TV I am either hitting low damage spells that don't do much, or waiting on cd's. Feels like a clunky non smooth rotation, no flow to it like Arms and Frost.

But again, maybe that ring I got will help ? Highlord ? And getting 4pc will smooth out the rotation or feel of this class ?

Or maybe just stick to Frost and Arms for my DPS characters, and keep my Paladin a Tank, as I do have 2 great Legendary's on him; Saruan's Resolve + Tyelca, Ferren Marcus's Stature.
    Last edited by Zorachus; 2018-04-23 at 04:57 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Frost DK or Retribution Paladin for melee DPS.