10+ Year Old Account
    At this point, fuck it. The whole thing is a gigantic mess.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's a new article from them now, HPET was the guilty one this time.

Funniest part is that nobody knows if Intel actually gets more performance without it, or if the FPS numbers without it are simply wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah... with HPET at least there's a decent assumption the numbers are accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    There's a new article from them now, HPET was the guilty one this time.
    Yeah, Anandtech's article (I know you read it, linking for prosterity) was a really good read.

I'm thinking that Ryzen 2 is very good, all around generation. It's not the best at gaming nor single threaded applications in general, but still competitive. It also seems more stable in the sense a single setting (in this case, forcing HPET) won't wreck havok on performance. (For balance, Ryzen's HPET isn't as precise as Intel's.) All their chips support overclocking as opposed to only k variant chips for Intel. (To be fair, they don't overclock nearly as well.) They're also very good from a cost standpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    Funniest part is that nobody knows if Intel actually gets more performance without it, or if the FPS numbers without it are simply wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Yeah... with HPET at least there's a decent assumption the numbers are accurate.
    Well, it depends on the numbers and where they're coming from, right? At first, I thought they were using FCAT (Frame Capture Analysis Tool) and analyzing the video after the fact. This would allow them to see how many frames were rendered without having to worry about timing. (Of course, FCAT was one of their tests with RotTR, rather than something they used on all their game benchmarks.)

It also sounds like, so long as the HPET is enabled in the bios, a program can access it. So a game / performance tool could still use it to measure time, even if it's not the system default.

Lastly, even if computer time desyncs from real time, it should still be reasonably accurate for shorter durations - it just gets worse the longer a test is run.

I'm thinking the results should still be reasonably accurate, outside edge cases.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not a lot of people use FCAT for all of their benchmarks because FCAT isn't supported by all games / benchmarks. Digital Foundry for example though utilizes FCAT very heavily but they also spent quite a lot on the capture devices and separate machines in order to do.

It's hard to say though without someone actually rebenching everything utilizing FCAT or any other frame counter.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    In one week I am interviewing for an entry level IT internship, full-time (or near it) at a, for now undisclosed, location, whose upper brass come into my coffee shop. One of their vice presidents basically told me today about it and said if it was something I was interested in he thought it would be a perfect fit. I talked with the guy who will interview me, (another guy that I've already met) and he was all positives!

I'm beside myself with excitement. This is so wonderful. Things like this are what I need in my life right now.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Good luck with that @DeltrusDisc

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    I hope it works out for you boss.

On Friday I'll be 'vested' at the place I work now so that's a full year in. Still haven't had much luck finding a home I'd like to live in 'long term' around here which kinda sucks but otherwise things have worked out.

Bailing on that job I wasn't happy with has been a great decision and with luck you'll have a similar experience.
    Good luck with that @DeltrusDisc
    Thank you, thank you! I'm certainly hopeful!
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    On Friday I'll be 'vested' at the place I work now so that's a full year in. Still haven't had much luck finding a home I'd like to live in 'long term' around here which kinda sucks but otherwise things have worked out.
    I'd like to buy a house, but prices here are pretty crazy. I also have this bad feeling that we're in for another bubble bursting soon, which makes me very wary of dropping that kind of money... of course I'm the very cautious and frugal type, so that doesn't help my hesitation, either.

Good luck on the interview, @DeltrusDisc!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alindra View Post
    I'd like to buy a house, but prices here are pretty crazy. I also have this bad feeling that we're in for another bubble bursting soon, which makes me very wary of dropping that kind of money... of course I'm the very cautious and frugal type, so that doesn't help my hesitation, either.

Good luck on the interview, @DeltrusDisc!
    Pray and hope for me that I can become one of your kind. <3

And thanks!
    "A flower.

15+ Year Old Account
    At my sister's house and she has some insane internet. 244 Mb down a and 193mb up.

I am also working on getting my computer working again. Getting a Ryzen 2600x, I just need a motherboard and some ram though. Which is honestly more expensive than the cpu is.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    Sort of want to get a 2700 or 2700x and retire my current to be a server for some of our home projects.

15+ Year Old Account
    Sort of want to get a 2700 or 2700x and retire my current to be a server for some of our home projects.
    I honestly don't know which motherboard to get. The X470 are too expensive and b350 are a bit old and I might accidentally buy one that isn't compatible.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I'm not sure which MoBo I would get either. Any word of B450s or whatever it'd be called? I don't have any need for X470s.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I'm not sure which MoBo I would get either. Any word of B450s or whatever it'd be called? I don't have any need for X470s.
    Supposed to come out Q3.

10+ Year Old Account
    What's the problem with X470 motherboards?
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    What's the problem with X470 motherboards?
    They're more expensive and the features they offer over lower tier mobos aren't exactly always necessary.

10+ Year Old Account
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Using my ANCIENT Gateway 22" 1680x1050 monitor for about a week until a new A/C adapter arrives from Amazon NEXT TUESDAY.

My dad wonders though if maybe the old monitor or its power adapter was overheating and shutting off, but shouldn't it turn back on without being completely unplugged from the wall, first? Things to test!
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty well! Very calm, casual. The A-VP of the department wanted to bow to me in my suit. haha I was told that bringing me on was basically an idea by the VP of the IT department and the COO. Oof. That feels pretty incredible, honestly. I could really use some good news in my life right about now, and just to know that they see me that way and want me working for them, means a lot to me.

The hiring guy said he just has to talk to HR and do some paperwork and then I should know by next week for sure. I think that's fairly positive, wouldn't you agree?

Got to see the IT department's area and they have a big nice new HP 4k IPS panel that just came in. It looked lovely, as they tend to. I think it was a 32".
    "A flower.