Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post

Tiananmen Square happened, are you willing to admit that?
    Has anyone in the thread denied that it happened?

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    Has anyone in the thread denied that it happened?
    Did I say they had?

Consider it a test.

Did I say they had?

Consider it a test.
    What's the point of even asking if someone is willing to admit something has happened if there has been no denial about the events?

What's the point of even asking if someone is willing to admit something has happened if there has been no denial about the events?
    Well, the entire discussion is about the limitations of free speech and the press in China, so it's very relevant.

Well, the entire discussion is about the limitations of free speech and the press in China, so it's very relevant.
    Not particularly relevant to the forum as nobody is denying it happened, here.

Not particularly relevant to the forum as nobody is denying it happened, here.
    Well, that's your opinion, but it's a very important issue in regards to China and why they push policies such as this. We have historical evidence as to the motives for such action, as well as the consequences. This isn't a matter of what COULD happen, it's a matter of what has ALREADY happened.

The poster claims to be in China, which may, or may not be true. Personally, I think it is true. If it is, what happens if he or she brings up that event from 30 years ago? What happens if they try and talk about it? What happens if they try to teach others about it?

f the other poster cannot talk about it, or refuses to acknowledge the atrocities that happened, then that speaks volumes, does it not? The fact is that most people in China are not able to see such imagery.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tianan...otests_of_1989

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-...re-takes-place

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8126461.html

Many people in China will never have the freedom to see these things, or to openly speak of them.
    Last edited by Machismo; 2018-04-26 at 02:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Opressive government afraid of free exchange of information.

Water is also still wet.

More news at 11.
    You miss the biggest point. Today, the strongest weapon of USA is information control and propaganda. They are constantly trying to get the control of other countries media to spread their propaganda against one party and to make them elect a puppet president or simply create civil wars. It is not even a conspiracy, in CIA declassified documents, you can read how many times they did it in the past (they only declassify files after a number of years).
    The only way you can protect your country from this is to censure foreign information. But then when they do this, we call it an attack on freedom of speech and so we call their leader a dictator and so we have a reason to invade the country in the name of freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by lummiuster View Post
    You miss the biggest point. Today, the strongest weapon of USA is information control and propaganda. They are constantly trying to get the control of other countries media to spread their propaganda against one party and to make them elect a puppet president or simply create civil wars. It is not even a conspiracy, in CIA declassified documents, you can read how many times they did it in the past (they only declassify files after a number of years).
    The only way you can protect your country from this is to censure foreign information. But then when they do this, we call it an attack on freedom of speech and so we call their leader a dictator and so we have a reason to invade the country in the name of freedom.
    You are literally calling for propaganda and control in order to stop propaganda and control...

It's interesting that one can gain access to declassified documents from the American government, yet you are calling for outright opaqueness and censorship...

Jesus, the irony is fucking insane.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    I'm of two minds on this...
    Thank you for your insight on this. I am all up for free of speech and access to information. Problem starts when people without critical thinking access information which is not true and they start believing it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo
    Did I say they had?
    Internet jackassery detected. No, I think I'll leave it to you to go back and read my posts in this thread. When you find the one where I denied something, bring it to my attention and I'll respond.

This is about China, if you want to talk about Trump... then you will easily find me on those threads.
    No. To be specific, this is about countries controlling Internet access. If you want to say China's approach to it is wrong, be prepared to distinguish what Xi says from what Trump says. You're going to have to work harder to have your scapegoat.

@Freighter Would you do me the favor of going back to my earlier posts in this thread and linking for this meathead the posts where I specifically accessed Tiananmen articles (including a Tank Guy photo), mentioned talking to people who were there, etc? I already did the "This is blocked/nobody can see/they arrest people" dance once this round. I wonder how he thinks I'm posting in this thread?
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Internet jackassery detected. No, I think I'll leave it to you to go back and read my posts in this thread. When you find the one where I denied something, bring it to my attention and I'll respond.

No. To be specific, this is about countries controlling Internet access. If you want to say China's approach to it is wrong, be prepared to distinguish what Xi says from what Trump says. You're going to have to work harder to have your scapegoat.

@Freighter Would you do me the favor of going back to my earlier posts in this thread and linking for this meathead the posts where I specifically accessed Tiananmen articles (including a Tank Guy photo), mentioned talking to people who were there, etc? I already did the "This is blocked/nobody can see/they arrest people" dance once this round. I wonder how he thinks I'm posting in this thread?
    So, you guys are all free to talk about how bad the government is, that Tiananmen Square was an affront to free speech and politics?

Here's the thing, Trump is an authoritarian asshat. Luckily, we have a constitutional republic that can stop him from doing a lot of the heinous shit that he wants to do. Your leader has far more authority, and is even more anti-freedom than Trump.

10+ Year Old Account
    So, you guys are all free to talk about how bad the government is, that Tiananmen Square was an affront to free speech and politics?
    No gold star for you. Catch up and read what I've written so far, I'm not going to rewrite it for each new entrant. Clumsy as the search feature is, you should be able to manage to do it yourself.

@Freighter Sorry, never mind. After this last post, I can see this would be like trying to show a flat Earther pictures from orbit. What can a simple 14 year old Chinese girl do? I knew I should have used an MLP avatar!
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

No gold star for you. Catch up and read what I've written so far, I'm not going to rewrite it for each new entrant. Clumsy as the search feature is, you should be able to manage to do it yourself.

@Freighter Sorry, never mind. After this last post, I can see this would be like trying to show a flat Earther pictures from orbit. What can a simple 14 year old Chinese girl do? I knew I should have used an MLP avatar!
    That's not really an answer to the question, is it?

I'm going to go ahead and side with freedom on this one... freedom is awesome.

15+ Year Old Account
    It is perfectly legal to have a civil discussion about the shortcomings of the goverment(I have attended two such events in Beijing with more than 500 participants), its also legal to discuss Tiananmen Square both the overreaction from the goverment and the politcal background it stemmed from. What isnt legal is trying to rile up the public with talks about "Reigniting the revolution" and "Tear down the goverment".

Quote Originally Posted by Deldavala View Post
    It is perfectly legal to have a civil discussion about the shortcomings of the goverment(I have attended two such events in Beijing with more than 500 participants), its also legal to discuss Tiananmen Square both the overreaction from the goverment and the politcal background it stemmed from. What isnt legal is trying to rile up the public with talks about "Reigniting the revolution" and "Tear down the goverment".
    So, you are not in Norway?

What exactly defines "civil discussion?"

15+ Year Old Account
    So, you are not in Norway?

What exactly defines "civil discussion?"
    Currently I am in Norway, I just came back from a seminar in Guangzhou.

Not sure about the definition, but there was order in our debate. In the first one I attended there was 8 Officials from different parts of the goverment, all having an open panel debate. People had to sign up to ask questions and they would answer them. My chinese is not good enough to follow everything, but I got the main arguments. There was a point where one guy got stopped before he could finish since he started derailing about someting, and started slinging personal insults to one of the panel members.

Quote Originally Posted by Deldavala View Post
    Currently I am in Norway, I just came back from a seminar in Guangzhou.

Not sure about the definition, but there was order in our debate. In the first one I attended there was 8 Officials from different parts of the goverment, all having an open panel debate. People had to sign up to ask questions and they would answer them. My chinese is not good enough to follow everything, but I got the main arguments. There was a point where one guy got stopped before he could finish since he started derailing about someting, and started slinging personal insults to one of the panel members.
    So, it sounds more like a town hall meeting, where people discuss with the government, and it's very structured.

Thanks for the info.

15+ Year Old Account
    So, it sounds more like a town hall meeting, where people discuss with the government, and it's very structured.

Thanks for the info.
    Well not exactly town hall, since most of the people there was either students or proffesors, but kinda the same feeling. And yeah the cases where mostly what is the goverment doing wrong, what are they not doing at all or what are they doing that they want them to stop doing. Thats the broadstrokes atleast.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's not really an answer to the question, is it?
    Guess you'll never know since you're too lazy to actually read the thread you're posting in.

Then again, you think there is a "you guys" answer for 1.3 to 1.6 billion people living across an area roughly the size of the US. Yes, it's true we Chinese have actually been assimilated by the Borg, so life in Gansu is exactly like life in Jiangsu and it doesn't matter if the person lives in a village or a city.

I'm going to go ahead and side with random buzzwords on this one... random buzzwords are awesome.
    You really need to get a new keyboard, you keep making horrible typing errors.

Guess you'll never know since you're too lazy to actually read the thread you're posting in.

Then again, you think there is a "you guys" answer for 1.3 to 1.6 billion people living across an area roughly the size of the US. Yes, it's true we Chinese have actually been assimilated by the Borg, so life in Gansu is exactly like life in Jiangsu and it doesn't matter if the person lives in a village or a city.

You really need to get a new keyboard, you keep making horrible typing errors.
    I'm going to go ahead and side with freedom on this one, thanks. Your desire to edit my comments is very much like the censorship your government does. Thanks for proving me right.