Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SensationalBanana View Post
    Fucking lol.

As if this still isn't an integral part of the game. But, no arguing with someone delusional enough to place WoD in the same basket as Legion.
    I was answering a question, nice to see how you ignore the context to prove your point. Thinking that the game core hasnt change for me it's a sign of 2 possible things.

1) what you like in the game is something completely different from what i like

2) you fail to recognize what was the core experience

- - - Updated - - -

Fucking lol.

As if this still isn't an integral part of the game. But, no arguing with someone delusional enough to place WoD in the same basket as Legion.

- - - Updated - - -

Have done, and yes, WoW is still an MMORPG, with more ways of progressing your character as of Legion than ever before.

Get the fuck over it.
    If you think treadmills are progression than you are exactly the type of player blizz wants here. I think progression is something completely different but you seems the classic blizz apologists that cant take any argument seriously enough to argue with.

10+ Year Old Account
    It definitely is, but I'm sure you're too invested in believing that it isn't because reasons.

Sorry, your feelings changing towards a title doesn't change the genre which it belongs to.
    I'm sorry you can't tell the different between an MMORPG and an MMOARPG.

If you can't tell the difference between early WoW and current WoW then there's really no point in trying to argue with you, though I suspect that you're just another one of the local MMO trolls that contributes nothing and tends to be contrarian "for the lulz".

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleros View Post
    I was answering a question, nice to see how you ignore the context to prove your point. Thinking that the game core hasnt change for me it's a sign of 2 possible things.

1) what you like in the game is something completely different from what i like

2) you fail to recognize what was the core experience
    And you're delusional enough to believe that you've got a say in what the core experience ever was or is.

What I like in the game: The gameplay, the world, the social experience, building a character over time both with power gains and long-term collections.

A game that gave me that from the start and still does? The MMORPG known as World of Warcraft.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post

If you can't tell the difference between early WoW and current WoW then there's really no point in trying to argue with you, though I suspect that you're just another one of the local MMO trolls that contributes nothing and tends to be contrarian "for the lulz".
    Nice to see an actual argument. Thank you

Like I said, your word doesn't change the genre of a game.

And I suspect you people are just burping the same meme that others are doing as a point of attack to display their jaded attitude towards this game.

Calling someone a troll for not agreeing with you however, is frowned upon and not a very clever argument to boot.

Nice to see an actual argument. Thank you
    You mean basically someone validating your points?

That's not how an argument/debate works. You actually debate why you think it isn't instead of looking for validation on your own initial points.

Deleted
    And you're delusional enough to believe that you've got a say in what the core experience ever was or is.

What I like in the game: The gameplay, the world, the social experience, building a character over time both with power gains and long-term collections.

A game that gave me that from the start and still does? The MMORPG known as World of Warcraft.
    1) gameplay? what kind of gameplay? just gameplay in general?
    2) the world? and you are seriously telling me that from vanilla to now your interaction with the world has remained the same?
    3) social experience? This one is mind bogling, THAT'S THE MOST CHANGED THING EVER
    4) building a character over time? that's in every game and the way you do it define most of the genre you build your char in

So NO you dont call this MMORPG you call this a game

And that's not how it works.

You are absolutely 100% entitled to your opinion of the genre of the game from your perspective. That does not however make it a fact.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    You mean basically someone validating your points?

That's not how an argument/debate works. You actually debate why you think it isn't instead of looking for validation on your own initial points.
    Na. I meant argument done right with him not with me. If someone invalidate my point with a real and nice argument i'm just as happy if not more

Na. I meant argument done right with him not with me. If someone invalidate my point with a real and nice argument i'm just as happy if not more
    Read what I posted above.

You are perfectly entitled to your opinion that the game is not an MMORPG anymore. However the fact of the matter is that is what the genre defines it as. Which is an MMORPG.

Personally however while I feel some oldschool RPG aspects were removed the game is still an MMORPG. Most of those aspects were removed because they were archaic in today's systems such as resistances and whatnot. However resistance had the issue of becoming useless over time until the only point it ever last mattered was Sapphiron in WotLK Naxx and that was merely for an achievement.

I don't think had WoW stuck with these oldschool aspects it would be in the state it is today and more accessible MMOs might be clawing at it.

A genre doesn't change because you or I say so. A genre changes when a game or entertainment product no longer matches it's original genre. Like if Diablo went from an ARPG to a TCG game. But of course that is a wild example admittedly but one nonetheless.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2018-04-27 at 11:37 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Read what I posted above in response.

You are perfectly entitled to your opinion that the game is not an MMORPG anymore. However the fact of the matter is that is what the genre defines it as.
    Well since there is no an official definition, I tend to extrapolate from the time this term was born and use that as a definition. We must have a common ground on the definition or we are just going to talk about nothing

10+ Year Old Account
    I invite you to try some Vanilla/BC private shards and come back and tell me again WoW is still a MMORPG.
    Half if not almost all private servers are a joke, just like the topic as well, isn't a permitted subject. World of Warcraft is by fact, still an MMORPG. Nothing is much different between then and now when it comes to the tag, other than now you can be more of a prick and be safe, and you can try out on your own with pugging.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Gameplay as it exists and always has existed in this game. Kill mobs, quest, professions, raiding, dungeons. Duh.

2) the world? and you are seriously telling me that from vanilla to now your interaction with the world has remained the same?

Nope, it's gotten better. No expansions have had as much emphasis on players being out in the world beyond max level as MoP and Legion did.

3) social experience? This one is mind bogling, THAT'S THE MOST CHANGED THING EVER

How is it the most changed thing ever? Stop screeching and argue your points instead of just making wild statements. Grouping, seeing players out in the world, cities, chat channels, guild membership, friends... it's all there.

4) building a character over time? that's in every game and the way you do it define most of the genre you build your char in

I've never been able to build a character the way I have in this MMORPG, which is why I stuck with this genre.

... Only the entire business, calls WoW an MMORPG.

I'd suggest you people read up on what games fall under the MMOARPG-genre.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2018-04-27 at 11:40 AM.

Well since there is no an official definition, I tend to extrapolate from the time this term was born and use that as a definition. We must have a common ground on the definition or we are just going to talk about nothing
    There is an official definition of the genre.

World of Warcraft is a "Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game".

The definition has been coined since the advent of these kinds of games. So yes there is most certainly an official definition.

The roots of the definition can be traced as far back as the 70s. The first game that is considered to have defined the genre name is Meridian 59. However Ultima Online and Everquest were more better known so they are the first major/popular/well known MMOs with the genre.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massiv...g_game#History

Has a history part. I would advise you read up on it.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2018-04-27 at 11:42 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The definition is in the name

Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game.

And when I see it so, I don't mean lobby / FPS games where you wait for a match.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

WoW is an MMORPG like a bmw i3 is a car. It has wheels, an engine, can be driven but not the complete experience. This is what I think the OP is trying to say and I agree. WoW has moved from go in, explore, develop and love you character into a repeatable expansion "recipe". Level, normal dungeons, hc dungeons, rep, 1st tier, dungeons 2nd tier, Final baddie, everything you did is obsolete rince and repeat.

Probably will be my last expansion to play. To each their own though.

Deleted

Gameplay as it exists and always has existed in this game. Kill mobs, quest, professions, raiding, dungeons. Duh.

Nope, it's gotten better. No expansions have had as much emphasis on players being out in the world beyond max level as MoP and Legion did.

How is it the most changed thing ever? Stop screeching and argue your points instead of just making wild statements.

I've never been able to build a character the way I have in this MMORPG, which is why I stuck with this genre.

... Only the entire business, calls WoW an MMORPG.

I'd suggest you people read up on what games fall under the MMOARPG-genre.
    From what you say no matter the changes Blizz make to this game you are always going to call it MMORPG, so i guess for you the things that make a game an MMORPG are wildly different from the things that make a game an MMORPG for me. Having said that i dont see the point arguing and it's obvious you cant even give me an advice or a suggestion of a game that's worth reading.

Quote Originally Posted by socialmaker View Post
    WoW is an MMORPG like a bmw i3 is a car. It has wheels, an engine, can be driven but not the complete experience. This is what I think the OP is trying to say and I agree. WoW has moved from go in, explore, develop and love you character into a repeatable expansion "recipe". Level, normal dungeons, hc dungeons, rep, 1st tier, dungeons 2nd tier, Final baddie, everything you did is obsolete rince and repeat.

Probably will be my last expansion to play. To each their own though.
    Not to me it hasn't.

If it has to you, it's due to your personal feelings towards the game. There's no design put in place preventing immersion, social experiences, loving your characters, exploration etc.

In fact, the game was FAR more about "level, normal dungeons, HC dungeons, rep, 1st tier" before MoP and Legion came along. That was literally the recipe for every iteration of this game before more emphasis was made to give players other routes of progression and reasons to login.

From what you say no matter the changes Blizz make to this game you are always going to call it MMORPG, so i guess for you the things that make a game an MMORPG are wildly different from the things that make a game an MMORPG for me. Having said that i dont see the point arguing and it's obvious you cant even give me an advice or a suggestion of a game that's worth reading.
    And again you are entitled to think what makes an MMORPG for you. That does not however make it a fact.

The fact is World of Warcraft matches the genre of Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game. A genre that has been defined perfectly clear for over 20 years. Your personal tastes towards the game do not change that.

And no offence when you started the thread with "this game isn't an MMORPG anymore" you knew what was going to happen. Don't play innocent.

No, if Blizzard literally made changes that removed this game from the MMORPG-genre, it would no longer be an MMORPG for a fact.

They haven't made such changes though, so your feels on the subject are irrelevant. The game is not a lobby game, not a dungeon crawler, not an Action RPG. It's an MMORPG and should be recommended as such lest new players might be disappointed.