10+ Year Old Account
    6 years in development.

and its STILL not even in Beta yet.

I might consider it once it hits Beta or Retail
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

Quote Originally Posted by SinR View Post
    6 years in development.

Was supposed to be in Alpha/Beta a while ago.

Bet they were too busy throwing microtransactions into an unfinished Alpha despite them having a boatload in crowdfunding and 2 million people who bought into the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    which is unfortunate. It LOOKS amazing.

But, why... when you have ~2mil people backing it and probably a good 50 bucks a head... are you cramming Microtransactions in at this point in the game?
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

But, why... when you have ~2mil people backing it and probably a good 50 bucks a head... are you cramming Microtransactions in at this point in the game?
    Because greed. No other reason. In case the project fails they just want to milk as much as possible from this.

They have all the money in the world to develop this unless they stupidly burnt through it which somehow I doubt.

6 years in development.

Read somewhere on the forums that there won't be official Alpha/Beta stages. They will just push updates and at some point game will be just stable playable game.
    When a player quits EVE and goes to WoW, the average IQ in both games increases.

Deleted
    Was following the game for a long time. Was extremely hyped about it but i've promised myself not to pay for pre-release anymore. The last vids i saw from it had major lag problems and players just trolling eachother.

Honestly i had such high hopes for this game. Taking some people from my wow guild and cruising around space making dough from trading, mining or whatever. Sounded like a lot of fun to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nupomaniac View Post
    Was following the game for a long time. Was extremely hyped about it but i've promised myself not to pay for pre-release anymore. The last vids i saw from it had major lag problems and players just trolling eachother.

Honestly i had such high hopes for this game. Taking some people from my wow guild and cruising around space making dough from trading, mining or whatever. Sounded like a lot of fun to me.
    Everyone following it did.

Now barely anyone outside of the hardcore fanboys gives a shit.

3 things are why this game is in the state it is in.

1. Chris Roberts. Sure he had some good times with Wing Commander but it clearly hasn't transitioned well when he is in the hot seat with his own actual team to manage.

2. Consistently missing set deadlines. Sure while they were not planned and maybe 1 or 2 deadlines is ok but once you miss the majority of them then it's clear you are in a long wait for the project.

3. Feature creep. Just doesn't help. Consistently adding features just delays the game further and further. And if the game ends up trash because of it those features mean squat. At the end of the day the gameplay itself matters not how many features are tied around the gameplay. It just creates an unnecessary bloat.

Least that's my 2 cents on the state of things.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by OmniSkribe View Post
    Read somewhere on the forums that there won't be official Alpha/Beta stages. They will just push updates and at some point game will be just stable playable game.
    That... is a really dumb way of handling it.

Any product should go through those stages rather than just keeping it in a perpetual state of updating until they believe it's ready.

That's how basic software development works.

OK but there are STILL alpha, beta and release stages even if they don't want to tag them.

Alpha is where we are at just now where they have ideas to try and mess about with with nothing really to tie it all together.
    Beta will be a new complete game where all they should be doing is balance testing, bug fixing and finalising the game for release(which by the sounds of it is still years away)

Don't listen to Eleccybubb, he has a bizarre tendency to make up absolute nonsense and then parade it around as fact.

- - - Updated - - -

That's wrong and the game is basically in what you would call the "early access" stage.

Quote Originally Posted by CogsNCocks View Post
    -Eleccybubb is awesome!-
    He's totally right fellas.

Me posting something as "my two cents" is totally me trying to parade it around as a fact!

If anything matey you have this bizarre tendency to witch hunt people who don't agree with your mantra of this being the greatest gift to mankind and try to stir up bullshit about them with statements like that.

Guess that's why you get banned a lot whenever you post in here but alas this is all just unfair "speculation".

But alas my own fault for responding to someone on ignore here so I'll leave it at that. No use arguing with someone who stirs up BS to witch hunt people. I'll just happily let you paint the SC community portrait when you attack anyone who presents opinionated critique of a game you clearly worship.

If you ever want a reasonable discussion however and not a one sided one of praising the game I'm up for it. I have actually said some good things about this game just with people who are capable of reasonable discussion. Just right now the negatives outweigh the positives in my opinion so of course my discussion points will lean towards that.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2018-04-27 at 12:56 PM.

Firstly there isn't 2 mil people backing it, it's about half that, and secondly they are canning the microtransactions. The voyager direct store is a depreciated fundraising vehicle that was introduced years ago and doesn't have a place in the game anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    He's totally right fellas.

Me posting something as "my two cents" is totally me trying to parade it around as a fact!

If anything matey you have this bizarre tendency to witch hunt people who don't agree with your mantra of this being the greatest gift to mankind and try to stir up bullshit about them with statements like that.

Guess that's why you get banned a lot whenever you post in here but alas this is all just unfair "speculation".

But alas my own fault for responding to someone on ignore here so I'll leave it at that. No use arguing with someone who stirs up BS to witch hunt people. I'll just happily let you paint the SC community's portrait when you attack anyone who presents opinionated critique of a game you clearly worship.

If you ever want a reasonable discussion however and not a one sided one of praising the game I'm up for it. I have actually said some good things about this game just with people who are capable of reasonable discussion. Just right now the negatives outweigh the positives in my opinion so of course my discussion points will lean towards that.
    There is no discussion to have with someone who is only willing to discuss strawman and misinformation. I've also never said it was the greatest thing to mankind, that's just more nonsense you've plucked out of thin air. Hell, my last post to someone asking about the game was me telling them they probably shouldn't buy it yet. Every point you bring up is nothing new from you it's just the same old garbage that's been debunked before but you go over and over again like a broken record.
    Last edited by CogsNCocks; 2018-04-27 at 01:17 PM.

Firstly there isn't 2 mil people backing it, it's about half that, and secondly they are canning the microtransactions. The voyager direct store is a depreciated fundraising vehicle that was introduced years ago and doesn't have a place in the game anymore.
    current count is 2,027,298 who have put some money into the game currently, you can clearly see the game increases funds between 50-100k a day and 1.7 - 6 million a month currently, so what are you basing your assumtions on that only have of that current number is backing it, to be considered an account you have to at least have one of the basic 40 dollar packages as you need the game to even access the PTU.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    current count is 2,027,298 who have put some money into the game currently, you can clearly see the game increases funds between 50-100k a day and 1.7 - 6 million a month currently, so what are you basing your assumtions on that only have of that current number is backing it, to be considered an account you have to at least have one of the basic 40 dollar packages as you need the game to even access the PTU.
    That figure is the total number of Citizens, not backers. You don't need to buy anything to become a Citizen, you just sign up for an account. A lot of people sign up for username reservations. Back in 2016, Turbulent the company who do the website admin stuff for CIG said...

*”Of the one million user accounts that includes the Roberts Space Industries platform, 500,000 fans have already pre-purchased content in the game, which is actively involved in its funding.”
    Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen...ckers_figures/

i guess technically i'm a backer.. i bought right before SQ42 broke off so you could still get both for the price of one... something like 40-60? i dont even know anymore was years ago.

i have little hope of an actual release though.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    i guess technically i'm a backer.. i bought right before SQ42 broke off so you could still get both for the price of one... something like 40-60? i dont even know anymore was years ago.

If you have a decent rig you should give 3.1 a try. Go in with the understanding that the game is in the development phase and you may find yourself pleasantly surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Lagwin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    I think my assumptions were based on this interview.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...m-in-the-world

Check this question "Where do you draw a line in the sand between alpha, beta, Early Access? Are they just labels?"
    When a player quits EVE and goes to WoW, the average IQ in both games increases.

Check this question "Where do you draw a line in the sand between alpha, beta, Early Access? Are they just labels?"
    That's just Roberts not wanting to be beholden to anything, if he can define them as he wants then he believes no one can judge him on it. Originally they were all too happy to use alpha, beta and release labels in their proper context.

Quote Originally Posted by 1001 View Post
    That's just Roberts not wanting to be beholden to anything, if he can define them as he wants then he believes no one can judge him on it. Originally they were all too happy to use alpha, beta and release labels in their proper context.
    Doesn't change the fact the internally they can call it what they want and for players it could be simply numerical patches with soft launch at some point.

They are building game this way.

You can actually look at Elite Dangerous that way. It was released 1.0 with barebones features that were expanded over years. (i personally think that it's in some beta stage too).
    Last edited by OmniSkribe; 2018-04-27 at 03:44 PM.

I see, well I think the confusion comes from the terms being used by marketing departments instead of how they are used in the industry. Especially these days when "beta" is nothing more than a demo. An alpha is generally only an internal build for testing, while beta is granted to external users and almost ready for release.

Star Citizen is a game in the development phase and feature incomplete. Backers get access to some of the builds of this game currently in the development phase. They also provide lots of feedback, bug and performance reports. To some degree some of the backers are functioning similarly to internal testers so perhaps the alpha tag and "early access" is appropriate.

The alpha is the PTU where the evocati testers provide feedback on the build they are given, the "early access" LIVE build is the one all the backers have access too. The PTU is sometimes opened up to all backers for server stress testing.
    Last edited by CogsNCocks; 2018-04-27 at 04:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post

Probably looking at 2021-2023 before a stable release.

- - - Updated - - -

Doesn't change the fact the internally they can call it what they want and for players it could be simply numerical patches with soft launch at some point.

They are building game this way.

You can actually look at Elite Dangerous that way. It was released 1.0 with barebones features that were expanded over years. (i personally think that it's in some beta stage too).
    Ehh Elite kinda did some questionable shit with the game from a consumer perspective though.

Removing the offline mode which a lot of people wanted if I recall and denying refunds or doing some "case by case" bs with them from what I remember.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think it was if you had played the Alpha or Beta then you weren't entitled to a refund. Which is a pretty shitty practice.

Personally I'd rather a game go through a proper Alpha and Beta and then a proper launch. The main issue is Star Citizen should have entered 3.0 in 2016. Hell the original release date was 2014 which fair enough things change but the amount of delays 3.0 suffered was stupid. Was delayed throughout 2017 right until the end of 2017.

I remember them saying December 2016 but then in October decided to split it. They knew they wouldn't be able to meet their deadlines because they spent so much time feature creeping/bloating it.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2018-04-27 at 04:11 PM.