Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account

Deleted
    Why is it not more popular though? I kept hearing about how amazing stem cells were for over 10 (?) years by now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Jack Nicklaus used stem cell treatments for his back and shoulder. Worked almost like a walk-in clinic. One day procedure, notable improvement.

Pretty amazing stuff.
    Ive heard some crazy stories about how stem cells have worked medical miracles.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rilch View Post
    Why is it not more popular though? I kept hearing about how amazing stem cells were for over 10 (?) years by now.
    When they first came out, they needed embryo stem cells, and the bible thumpers were up in arms.

Now we know not to use embryo stem cells, because those cell want to become embryos and cause problems down the road. Now we use stem cells harvested from something that comes out of a female after she gives birth. Thats my understanding of this complicated subject, so dont quote me.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    Now we use stem cells harvested from something that comes out of a female after she gives birth.
    A baby?

/10chars
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    A baby?

/10chars
    Not sure why I found that so funny, but no.

Something inside the cord, has a special kind of stem cell.

Was reading an article the other day about how doctors cured alcoholism by injecting stem cells into the patient's brain.

Maybe we can get all those winos off the street by curing them and get them back to contributing to society.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    When they first came out, they needed embryo stem cells, and the bible thumpers were up in arms.

Now we know not to use embryo stem cells, because those cell want to become embryos and cause problems down the road. Now we use stem cells harvested from something that comes out of a female after she gives birth. Thats my understanding of this complicated subject, so dont quote me.
    I think you mean umbilical cord blood or somesuch? I've heard it was actually pointless to store it from the birth at some point, no idea if it's true now?

10+ Year Old Account
    I know a lot of people might have a shitty opinion of Mel Gibson, but he did a Joe Rogan podcast where he came on and only wanted to talk about how stem cells changed he and his fathers life, he brought the doctor who did the procedure on him to the show and he did most of the talking. I would seriously check it out because it gives a lot of good info on the subject, even though Mel Gibson is in it.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    The United States has put a kibosh on their development, due mostly to a lot of right-wing religious nut-job legislators getting in the way of fantastic science. And this guy in Germany seems to also be on the cutting edge of actual treatment rather than just research.

I was particularly blown away by how the clinic use mere fat cells to distill down stem cells, and the turn that into a treatment form, that was available to the patient only hours after they arrived.

And Jack saw noticeable improvement. He even went back for more.

I think another reason it's not more popular yet is because it's cutting edge. I would be in 10-20 years - we'll have walk-in clinics all over the U.S.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

And this doctor in Germany "created" them from fat cells. It's a whole new world.

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure why I found that so funny, but no.

Something inside the cord, has a special kind of stem cell.
    Cord blood cells. Before the docs learned you can get them from other areas.

10+ Year Old Account

And this doctor in Germany "created" them from fat cells. It's a whole new world.

- - - Updated - - -

Damn that is crazy. Stem cell science has moved so far and fast in my lifetime.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's pretty crazy(In a good way mind you). I can imagine if this research continues, quality of life could skyrocket.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    I know a lot of people might have a shitty opinion of Mel Gibson, but he did a Joe Rogan podcast where he came on and only wanted to talk about how stem cells changed he and his fathers life, he brought the doctor who did the procedure on him to the show and he did most of the talking. I would seriously check it out because it gives a lot of good info on the subject, even though Mel Gibson is in it.
    I will check that out. Mel Gibson is an interesting person. Poor guy was raised by a crazy racist abusive father. Not surprising a lot of that rubbed off on him.

Deleted
    Wait, so, if I had a child, I don't need to find hospital that stores it from the birth? Because they can be obtained elsewhere?

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Wait, so, if I had a child, I don't need to find hospital that stores it from the birth? Because they can be obtained elsewhere?
    According to this article, the doctor in Germany who treated Jack Nicklaus used Jack's abdominal fat cells to synthesize down to stem cells. It used his own, current, body to produce the stem cells and then treated him with those cells. All in a day.

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually had a conversation earlier today, and I think it may come down to in a lot of ways we have prioritized and separated entertainment from education. So, effectively what I mean is a lot of people aren't learning enough about fields they are not actually focusing/specializing in. There is a large portion of the population that know very little about Science and how things work, and all they listen to is Twitter/Facebook and other similar things. So, that's why so many people still want to cite falsified studies about vaccines, claim evolution is an opinion, etc. A lot of people still think stem cells come from a "murdered" baby and everything else you may find on a billboard along i75 running from south Georgia through north Florida (if you've driven the route you know what I mean...). So it just takes time and years for the truth to actually set in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Blade View Post
    There's nothing for casuals to do, beyond pretend they are raiders in LFR.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    That's fucking cool. I know that stem cells are one of the major potential extenders of human lifespan and healthspan. Who doesn't want to be healthy another twenty years? I know I do.

10+ Year Old Account
    I underwent stem cell harvest/transfusion therapy during cancer treatment in the 90's and it's for sure one of the things that saved my life.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Divided Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Murica, Inc.
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    I underwent stem cell harvest/transfusion therapy during cancer treatment in the 90's and it's for sure one of the things that saved my life.
    Good to hear, jack. Good luck!

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    Wow - that is awesome. And this was in the '90's - even more impressive. Have you kept up on current stem cell treatments for cancer patients?

Same reason why abortion is illegal in some places.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.