Page 1 of 9
... LastLast
    5+ Year Old Account

Underrated vanilla classes/specs you will roll

When Classic is released I have a feeling that a lot of folks will google 'best class' and end up rolling things like Protection Warriors, Holy Priests, Rogues, Hunters etc. for the most efficient play style and also out of fear that the class balance will be against them.

However I'm sure a lot of smart people here are thinking otherwise, or plan to roll something slightly oddball and out of the ordinary for the fun of it! What kind of ideas are you thinking about when it comes to an underrated character build in Classic?

I quite fancy a Survival Hunter or Shadow Priest - I might not get into any high end raid groups but I think I'd enjoy exploring the options available and levelling up with something slightly different.

Smite Priest for leveling.

Protection Paladin.

Deleted
    As long as you have Spirit Tap, any spec will work for leveling as a Priest. Smite -> Smite -> Shadow Word: Pain -> Wand works just as well. You can level as Retribution and tank in dungeons easily by getting Seal of Command at level 20, then going down the Holy Tree to get Consecration by level 30ish and then continue down the Ret one. That's how I plan to make my Paladin if I decide to play Classic. Good luck with getting into raids as a Prot Paladin, though, not because it can't be done but because people will see you as a liability or won't take you seriously.

Shadow Priest is quite good, it's not underrated at all and most guilds will have 1 to keep up Shadow Weaving for the Warlocks. No idea about Hunters.

To answer the question - Prot Paladin as an alt.

15+ Year Old Account
    I was going to say with locks you needed a s-priest. People forget the niche roles specs had in 40 man raids with raiding going to 10-20 man raids with equalized DPS and overlapping talents developed over the years that emphasized bring the players not the class.

The thing people will hate is single spec and talent respec costs.

If it is tuned well, Protection / Retribution Paladin! Can't wait to hear some news about the development of Classic WoW.

I didn't play vanilla so I don't know what was underrated but since I've heard so much about "anything but warrior tanks can't tank heroics" I'm going to roll a paladin and druid tank.

Serious
    - Going to Main a Feral druid, Off-Tank in mind. Got my gear list ready ! [11 / 35 /5]
    (Might have to switch to healing in Naxxramas, but still good for Hateful Strikes and maybe 4-HM too.

For a laugh
    - Make a BM / Surv Hunter - Tank - Healer (mend pet) with 5p Giant Stalker and +Healing Gear to fool around in Dungeons.
    (Did this before tanking DM north) [35/0/16]

For a laugh
    - Make an Elemental Shaman Tank, just for some Dungeons [30 / 21 / 0]
    (This is actually pretty good and fun to play, massive AoE tanking)

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    I didn't play vanilla so I don't know what was underrated but since I've heard so much about "anything but warrior tanks can't tank heroics" I'm going to roll a paladin and druid tank.
    Heh there were no heroics.

Arcane Mage.

Originally levelled as Frost mage, then swapped to Arcane at 60.

Really curious to see how I go

Instant Arcane Explosion FTW
    Last edited by schwarzkopf; 2018-05-01 at 02:55 AM.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Clueless people. They aren't underrated. They are fucking useless, broken and unusable. You will not play any of these because they were to broken to be useful anywhere in the game. You will try, and you will fail because they are broken. Just like the majority of Vanilla.

- - - Updated - - -

And you will loss aggro is seconds. There is a reason people say warriors were the only tanks. Because until AQ only warriors could hold agro. Pally couldn't even managed until dam black temple in BC. Even then only if nobody hit the boss for the first 2% of its health.
    Aye mate

Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    And you will loss aggro is seconds. There is a reason people say warriors were the only tanks. Because until AQ only warriors could hold agro. Pally couldn't even managed until dam black temple in BC. Even then only if nobody hit the boss for the first 2% of its health.
    Because waiting for 5 sunders was never a thing in Classic

Also the "Battleshout Tanking" was a bug and not working as intended as it gave 50'ish threat per party member buffed,
    I think it even worked on pets.
    So there is a possibility that this will fall under the bug fixes. Was even fixed before TBC went live.

If I remember it right Feral Druids had better TPS the way their calculations were done. Maul crits were just ridiculous.
    And in Dungeons Feral Druids were also better as they gained 5 rage from crits and could Power Shift into 10 rage IF they should ever get starved.

I can't vouch for Paladins because I played on Horde, but I hear they were Masters in AoE tanking Undead mobs, Scholomance, Stratholm...
    Believe Naxxrammas is also full of Undead mobs. (Exorcism and Holy Wrath)
    With Judgment of Wisdom and their AQ20 3-Set and a Mana Potion they were quite OK on mana.
    And with a [20/31/0] build you could put on your Healing set when not tanking and almost just be as good of a Healer as a full Holy Pala.
    Last edited by Hunterwep; 2018-05-01 at 06:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodplay View Post
    Good luck with getting into raids as a Prot Paladin, though, not because it can't be done but because people will see you as a liability or won't take you seriously.
    5 mans suits me just fine, maybe UBRS.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gonna roll Hunter this time around. Only played Rogue/Mage in Vanilla and always wanted to play Hunter.
    Be strong, Clarence! Be strong for mother!

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Clueless people. They aren't underrated. They are fucking useless, broken and unusable. You will not play any of these because they were to broken to be useful anywhere in the game. You will try, and you will fail because they are broken. Just like the majority of Vanilla.

- - - Updated - - -

You clearly show that you have zero knowledge about the matter.

Warriors ain't the best tank because of their threat, they are best because of their defensive tools, and the fact that they have gear tailored to tanking.
    The warriors biggest weakness is threat, especially AoE threat.

Both druids and paladins have great threat, but suffer with survivability due to no gear being tailored for them, and their lack of defensive cooldowns. and the paladin don't have a taunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxyfoxy View Post
    You clearly show that you have zero knowledge about the matter.

Warriors ain't the best tank because of their threat, they are best because of their defensive tools, and the fact that they have gear tailored to tanking.
    The warriors biggest weakness is threat, especially AoE threat.

Both druids and paladins have great threat, but suffer with survivability due to no gear being tailored for them, and their lack of defensive cooldowns. and the paladin don't have a taunt.
    Vanilla warrior's "biggest weakness" is still minuscule if you compare it to the other tank classes' issues though.

Paladin's threat was perfectly fine, the problem is they'd run out of mana. And had no taunt. And no defensive cooldowns. And their set gear was all int/healing. And they needed to stack spell damage in order to hold threat, and there's no spell damage / stam / defense gear.

People who say "warriors were the only tanks" are wannabe posers who have never actually played vanilla, and just regurgitate misinformation about it from their favorite e-celeb youtuber.
    Last edited by anon5123; 2018-05-01 at 06:32 PM.

none because id rather get easy group invites than suffer through lfg

Quote Originally Posted by Hunterwep View Post
    Serious
    - Going to Main a Feral druid, Off-Tank in mind. Got my gear list ready ! [11 / 35 /5]
    (Might have to switch to healing in Naxxramas, but still good for Hateful Strikes and maybe 4-HM too.

For a laugh
    - Make a BM / Surv Hunter - Tank - Healer (mend pet) with 5p Giant Stalker and +Healing Gear to fool around in Dungeons.
    (Did this before tanking DM north) [35/0/16]

For a laugh
    - Make an Elemental Shaman Tank, just for some Dungeons [30 / 21 / 0]
    (This is actually pretty good and fun to play, massive AoE tanking)
    No serious raiding guild used druids for tanks. Especially not on 4hm with the set bonus for the warriors.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Misuteri View Post
    I was going to say with locks you needed a s-priest. People forget the niche roles specs had in 40 man raids with raiding going to 10-20 man raids with equalized DPS and overlapping talents developed over the years that emphasized bring the players not the class.

The thing people will hate is single spec and talent respec costs.
    Actually, they had no niche rolls, There was little to no point to most classes.

There was heroic dungeons in Vanilla?