Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I love people that equate "spanking" to "beating".

No one should "beat" a child. I don't have nor want children, but if I did I would spank them when they get out of line and they need discipline.
    Just because I don't agree with you doesn't mean I support the other side.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    No problem. Good luck with your child abuse campaign!
    i already beat the campaign, my wife and i are spanking people in multiplayer now.

No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

It's a method to teach discipline, but there are non-violent options for that so I'd rather look into those first.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

Some of the responses on here truly amaze me at how extreme they are. The ones that have occasionally spanked their children seem pretty centered and normal, while the ones against are calling for us to have our children taken away, be put in jail, running a child abuse campaign etc. I think you are the extreme ones, not us. In addition, if you are coming at this because you were, or know someone that was part of a child abuse situation, I am sorry for you I really am. However, there is a very large difference from what you may think of and what I was describing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lens Hunter View Post
    My dad belted me once when I was 9 after I got in trouble at school and I was always afraid he was gonna do it again but he never did.

My mom though, she loved whacking me with a spoon. Didn't hurt a whole lot, but boy did it sting.

Im fine with a little physical discipline but it won't be my first resort when it comes to my kids. I think the issue is right now that parents try too hard to be friends with their kids, but I don't see it that way. Im raising this person to be a human in the world, they aren't my friend. We can be like friends later, but that's after I ensure they aren't a little selfish prick who thinks the world owes them everything because mom and dad let them do whatever they wanted. Hopefully I can get there with just words and example, but. My parents took the physical approach sometimes with my brother and I, and neither of us have ever been in trouble for anything, we didn't have babies when we were teenagers, and we don't get on message boards and cry about physical abuse.
    The best post i read here.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathknightish View Post
    This seem to be a highly split topic, at least when it comes to Americans, so I'd like to discuss it.

Do you beat your kids? Or are you completely against it?

I'm completely against it. I can't see it helping in any way. In my country, Sweden, it's illegal anyway and even a slight slap on the butt are grounds for a police report for child abuse and your losing your child, so even if I were for it I wouldn't have the choice to do so.

From my experience, it's always the children who were beaten that grow up to become monsters, or at least mentally unstable and rude brats.
    In what country is beating your children allowed? Are you confusing it with spanking? Spanking your children as a form of discipline can be quite effective when used properly. As an aside, I don't think today's snowflakes were spanked as kids.
    “I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: ‘O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.’ And God granted it.” -- Voltaire

"He who awaits much can expect little" -- Gabriel Garcia Marquez

I got smacked as a child. I was never beaten though. It did me the world of good.
    RETH

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You never beat your child. However, at a young age, a very thin and limber twig off a willow tree, can send a message to a unruly child who does not listen to verbal reasoning and commands.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

"beating your children?"

"spanking" maybe?

Spanking is a tool in a parent's toolbox. When a kid is 2 years old they're not old enough to understand why they shouldn't do certain things but they do understand that they don't want a spanking. I think it should only be used to remedy extreme or dangerous behavior.
    Last edited by Independent voter; 2018-05-01 at 12:35 PM.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

I used to be ok with it when I was younger, and felt that because I was raised that way that it was how you just raised your kids. My son was born when I was 21, so I was waaaaaaaay too young to be a parent.

Now that I'm 42, I have a completely different take on it. If I could do it all over again (retaining what I know, of course), I would reserve spankings for only the worst of the worst things my kid did, if even then.
    Spanking (unless the wife asks for it) just seems more like frustration of the parent manifesting itself negatively rather than being an actual lesson.
    That said - my kid (who is 20 now) is a damn good person and my wife and I at least did something right in this life. I just would have been more patient if I could do it all over again.
    /shrug

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle View Post
    Except it is, keep being delusionnal, that won't stop reality to pop on your face.
    If you're going to claim such things then I suggest you back thoes with some actual facts. A few studies or som actual statistics.
    But you won't, will you? Becuase you're not actually here to discuss anything, just to piss people off, yeah?

10+ Year Old Account
    Some kids need physical discipline, that's just fine.

Beating is something else entirely, and not fine.

There's a huge difference between beating and spanking. A spanking is a last resort that should be used extremely rarely. Beating on the other-hand, should never be done.

The same as beating baby animals I guess.
    Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. -Thomas Jefferson

10+ Year Old Account
    i am all for beating draenei they deserve it. what? you asked if we should beat kids.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

"Your punishment must be more severe."

This is one area where lots of EU countries have it right. Striking another person, but especially a child, in anything other than self-defense is the act of a contemptible P.o.S.

Ground a child, take away everything in their room but their clothes/bed/schoolwork and then confine them there for a time/ etc.

Even restrain them if they are about to hurt themselves or someone else. But if you intentionally cause a child pain, I sincerely hope you one day experience the fires of hell.
    "Independence forever!" --- President John Adams
    "America is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own." --- President John Quincy Adams
    "Our Federal Union! It must be preserved!" --- President Andrew Jackson

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ret4resto View Post
    I want to say I’m against it, then I see those little bad ass kids at Walmart cursing out their parents and think there are times when it’s necessary to slap them or get the belt.
    Kids misbehaving in public is something of all times, but what baffles me today is that parents ignore it and don't correct them in any way.

Sometimes they even praise them

7+ Year Old Account
    Never close your hand into a fist, nor hit the face. It really depends on how bad my kid would screw up. Like it affecting their life kind of crap, not if they break something or have a tantrum as an example. Only if they don't listen at first of course.

Never do it when you are angry either or you'll make it a habit and it will just get worse from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Realitytrembles View Post
    This is one area where lots of EU countries have it right. Striking another person, but especially a child, in anything other than self-defense is the act of a contemptible P.o.S.

Ground a child, take away everything in their room but their clothes/bed/schoolwork and then confine them there for a time/ etc.

Even restrain them if they are about to hurt themselves or someone else. But if you intentionally cause a child pain, I sincerely hope you one day experience the fires of hell.
    And what if none of that works? What if they continue to act out? Just chalk it up to "oh well, shitty kid"? My issue with people who are vehemently against any kind of physical punishment think everything will be fine if you just talk to your kids. Sometimes that doesn't work. Sometimes kids are super stubborn, that's just their personality and there's nothing you can do about it. This leads to parents just giving up or giving in, which I think is a bad decision.