Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Bennett View Post
    What makes you think my feelings have been hurt? I'm not the one being hostile and acting all triggered here.

- - - Updated - - -

Also random question - are you an adult? Just curious
    Lmao. I'll let you decide that, as you enjoy deciding what is and what isn't, even with the lack of proper knowledge and risking being very, very wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't assault people and children are people so...nope.

Quote Originally Posted by SHUMEGGAH View Post
    Well when you use the term "beat" as opposed to terms like "physically discipline" or even "spank" it is kind of hard to talk about. Not saying it shouldn't be talked about.

Discipline comes in many forms and types of effective discipline isn't universal. It just so happens that, in many cases, physical discipline certainly becomes a motivator in young ones to not do the things that have been deemed wrong/bad by their parents.

At the end of the day it's at the parent's discretion.
    It doesn't matter anyways. Spankings and attitude adjustments are, apparently, comparable to being beaten senseless, according to the carebears in this thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    I am quite sure there is a difference when someone is hitting a child because they "dared to respond back" or broke a piece of material by accident and when you keep telling a child over and over again same thing for it's own good and it doesn't listen and then you have to discipline and react.
    "Discipline" does not need to include physical force.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Honestly depends on the child you raised. Is this like a rare occasion that they misbehave? In which case, don't fucking ever touch your child. That causes fear, and fear is not what you want to do for your kid, trust me. If you raised a total spoiled brat though, well, you done goofed, and now you're probably going to resort to more goofing such as hitting your kid.

Punishment such as taking away their electronics usually goes a long way. Just make sure you actually follow through and don't give them back til you said you're taking them away.

Seriously though, literally every single one of us here were kids, and can you honestly say that being beaten, spanked, whatever with physical violence really worked? I'll tell you now all it did was make me despise the parent that did it to me and even at 27, I still have a pretty rocky relationship with them. Yeah we talk and stuff but I still feel resentment towards them.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimnir211 View Post
    we should behave how we should, so more data can be processed. Plenty of people here seem to be fine people despite a few spankings, so clearly at least half of those studies can be debunked ( I have read some, with many stupid claims like increased drug consumption )
    Really. Based on anecdotes by MMOCs forum, we can now debunk at least half of all studies that say corporal punishment's pro's are outweighed by their cons. That's just silly. It's like a smoker saying smoking's not so bad because he doesn't have lung cancer. (yet).

Quote Originally Posted by Shanknasty View Post
    For every article you link, I can find one as well. Seeing as how you already admitted you are no expert on the topic, I guess you would have to conclude that there is no definitive answer, as evidence to both sides is relevant and legit.
    Thing is, you really cant. If you actually give it a try though, I think you'll quickly find out how much easier it is finding reputable sources that prove you are in fact wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Beating children and spanking are a world appart.

I just want to make a clear-cut line on this, because while I absolutely despise and am totally against spanking, it's still not the same as literally beating your child.

With that said, in both cases, I think it's absurd, stupid, nasty and have lasting (read: Life) consequences.

EDIT: And yes, repeated spanking is a good way to lose custody.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiny212 View Post
    Really. Based on anecdotes by MMOCs forum, we can now debunk at least half of all studies that say corporal punishment's pro's are outweighed by their cons. That's just silly. It's like a smoker saying smoking's not so bad because he doesn't have lung cancer. (yet).

Thing is, you really cant. If you actually give it a try though, I think you'll quickly find out how much easier it is finding reputable sources that prove you are in fact wrong.
    No, we can debunk most of the studies due to their content and method being sloppy. There is actually very little science behind most of these trails if you read them, most are just comparing statistic stacks and making an assumption.

No, we can debunk most of the studies due to their content and method being sloppy. There is actually very little science behind most of these trails if you read them, most are just comparing statistic stacks and making an assumption.
    Feel free to propose alternate methodology that doesn't involve beating children for science.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Woods View Post
    LOL never change guys. I guess you won't because conservatism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I do care what people on this forum think of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    This site is amazing. It's comments like this, that make this site amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I’m 100% against it. Beating, hitting, spankings; I don't agree with any physical punishment.
    /thread ... i would second exactly this as a new dad - and if i knew of someone abusing a child i would absolutely report it to the correct authorities!
    "We will not compromise our standards to release a title before it is ready."
    WoW T.W.O ( The Wars Over )

Beating your children is surely a sign of impotence.

We can do no such thing without proof.

http://www.apa.org/monitor/2012/04/spanking.aspx

Here's an article summarizing research findings from several universities by the APA. Please specify what's wrong with their research methodology.

I think a slap on the butt is more than enough, going anything over that is just abuse.

I remember getting in trouble and getting a spanking, it really didn't hurt because I always had jeans on, but it made sure I wouldn't do what I did again.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am for.

I am Chinese myself, and many Chinese people would know the "duster" I am talking about, it is literally a solid bamboo stick.

You just give them a light tab when they mis-behave, but you should only need it once, because the next time when they mis-behave again, the moment you reach for the stick they should be apologising already.

Every family should have one of that. I am going to import one to England when I have children.

I got spanked and paddled to hell when I was little, and I can tell you it's a great source of resentment towards my otherwise good parents. I don't support that kind of punishment at all, because it never worked on me for a second.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seing all the scum on the playgrounds - i'm sure it's a must.
    At the same time I still did not have any need to do it in 3 years.

There are reasons to be stern, but having to resort to beating is uncalled for. If one has to take it that far, there's more of an issue at hand with the parent than the child.
    Last edited by YouWillAllAnswerToSithis; 2018-05-01 at 06:04 PM.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paraka View Post
    Looking back at the beatings I had in public I feel as the ones from my mother were more tears from my bruised ego. When kids go out of line to a breaking point a butt swat is encouraged to set the tone that the parent will not take "go to hell!" Screamed at them like I did. My stepfather was a different story.

Having said that I don't necessarily practice this in my own personal life with my god daughter. Though I have had my houses defaced when a neighbor found out that I made her burn her favorite toy after finding out she called her mother a cunt when she reached the age of public schooling. Had to set the tone there is things you do that you cannot take back, and simply taking a toy away just didn't get the message across.
    Does it make me a bad person that the only thing I think of when I read this is: "But, what about whoever paid for that toy..."?

Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    Seriously though, literally every single one of us here were kids, and can you honestly say that being beaten, spanked, whatever with physical violence really worked? I'll tell you now all it did was make me despise the parent that did it to me and even at 27, I still have a pretty rocky relationship with them. Yeah we talk and stuff but I still feel resentment towards them.
    Yes, it really worked for me. It was a rare occurrence, but it got the point across to me pretty clearly that whatever I had done was not to be tolerated. It in no way impacted my relationship with my parents, and I still talk to them every single day. If you are still holding resentment toward your parents over being spanked then you need to take a hard look at yourself because you clearly didn't learn anything and/or you have a serious problem with taking responsibility for your own actions.

I was spanked as a kid but I grew up in Eastern Europe where everyone beats their kids when they're bad. Or at least they used to. I certanly don't have any resentment over it. Now that I have my own kids I don't see the need for it. They don't learn anything from it and its mostly about releasing your own frustration than actually teaching them a lesson.