Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    What am I missing here? Does the UK not have baseline ID documents? I guess the rough translation is a Citizen's I.D.
    There is no official ID in the UK. The closest you have is either a drivers license or a passport (and not everywhere accepts them).

The fact is alot of people in the UK do not have "appropriate" ID, and obtaining them can already be a massive pain. Finding a valid countersignature for your passport application is a nightmare.
    Last edited by Netherspark; 2018-05-03 at 09:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post
    Or you could, I don't know, just answer the question. I, and most people, work between the hours of operation that the DMV/Sec. of State is open except for the usual one late night. Making it very hard to get there on a non vacation, no non holiday.

- - - Updated - - -

One person can do more damage to everything in those less important things than one can do with a vote. That is why you need I'd for many things. The fact that voter fraud is a statistically insignificant portion of voting is the reason we do not need these laws. Why is it that as the number of people that identify as conservative shrinks, this is an issue. It was never an issue in the past. Only relatively recently has this "major voter fraud" in the US become a problem. Conservatives, creating solutions to problems that do not exist since Regan.
    Still don't see why needing an id to vote is a problem. I didnt say anything about voter fraud or if its an issue. I dont really know but providing an id doesnt seem like an infringement to me. Having one is more of less necessary to be productive. You need to register to vote, etc. Its not asking much and if it prevents some maliciousness as a side effect, that's just icing.

Quote Originally Posted by Nalera View Post
    Without an I.D whats stopping a person from voting 10 times?
    Despite all the hysterical videos by O'Keefe, people are not voting ten times over-VOTER FRAUD is a code word for minority voting, something heroically supressed by the ghost costumes studs by lynching random Blacks to show ''who is dah boss'' -but they can't do it anymore.

You want a non US example ? The second Québec référendum was lost by a narrow margin. The losers have been crying for 20 years than the election was ''STOLEN'' from them, but they were never able to bring a single example of voting fraud, except non French Canadians voting ''NO'' (which is not a fraud). Deep investigations shown maybe 10-15 cases of dubious votes, with terrible compromising scenarios such as ''he was registered in district B but voted in district C''.

And again, I will repeat it : it' s very odd, but the people proposing those laws accept a NRA card as a proof of identity, but not a library card, proving once again that they are mortally afraid of book (FTR, in Canada, a library card is a perfectly valid ancilliary identity proof)
    Last edited by sarahtasher; 2018-05-03 at 09:22 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    This exactly. An ID suitable for voting should be provided free by the government, at a local location, or requestable by mail. It should be EXTREMELY easy to do and not require the person to travel at all.

IF this is done, and done for ALL citizens equally (regardless of race, color, gender, age, sexual orientation, whatever), then I would support voter ID laws requiring it to vote.
    That's great and all, but then you're spending taxpayer money to solve a problem that doesn't exist anyway.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    (FTR, no one would be against voter ID if the ID was provided by the government...)
    Even then it's a pretty bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    Voter ID or requiring some common ID (like my state issued DL) is reasonable so long as the means to acquire them isn't a hassle. I do believe they should be provided by the government.

Again though, person being interviewed didn't want to carry an ID.
    Nope, still racist. may as well have a literacy test or a poll tax while we're at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    There is no official ID in the UK. The closest you have is either a drivers license or a passport (and not everywhere accepts them).
    TIL the government of the UK doesn't issue Drivers licenses or passports.

I live in Holland, where voter ID has been around for ages. It has never been a problem, because every citizen is required to carry a valid gouvernment issued ID card or passport.

It isn’t free (costs about 50 euro) but if your income is below a certain threshold, you can petition for a payment exemption.

Problem. Fucking. Solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Veggie50 View Post
    I live in Holland, where voter ID has been around for ages. It has never been a problem, because every citizen is required to carry a valid gouvernment issued ID card or passport.

It isn’t free (costs about 50 euro) but if your income is below a certain threshold, you can petition for a payment exemption.

Must be nice denying minorities things.

Quote Originally Posted by Veggie50 View Post

Again, the thing is, it was never required in the USA, the excuse given (VOTER FRAUD) is bollocks and oddly enough, the way it's implemented make it sounds like for normal people as ''Find excuses to prevent non whites to vote''. The Republicans LOVE this concept, like gerrymandering.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Projectmars View Post
    Considering “minorities” also have ID (since they are by law required to have such, if need be provided for free, how does that exclude them?

In Ontario, when I voted in our last election, I had to provide photo ID (expired drivers license at the time actually). I'm a bit confused about how it all works if you don't provide any ID at all lol. Do you just say your name and they trust you? Not trying to be a dick, but would love if someone could explain it

Must be exhausting to always find a way to find any form of racism. Everyone in the Netherlands is entitled to support if they are earning minimal wage. Including so called "minorities". Btw the whole term "minorities" is degrading a whole community of people. What gives you the right to call anyone less than others

Deleted
    Here in Denmark, we have had to show ID when voting, since before I began to vote, and I am 39...

Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    Again, the thing is, it was never required in the USA, the excuse given (VOTER FRAUD) is bollocks and oddly enough, the way it's implemented make it sounds like for normal people as ''Find excuses to prevent non whites to vote''. The Republicans LOVE this concept, like gerrymandering.
    While I agree that gerrymandering is an afront to democracy, I do not consider voter ID in the same category. In fact, grouping those two togeher seems like weaking the argument against gerrymandering.

While voter fraud most likely isn’t as prevalent as some doomsayers would have you believe, voter ID can effectively end that discussion. For me, the issue is more about availability of such an ID. With a high threshold, low income citizens (often minorities) do get excluded. Without threshold or with a low threshold, this problem is nonexistant. I would argue that with a low threshold system like in Holland, the positives vastly outweigh the negatives.
    Last edited by Veggie50; 2018-05-03 at 09:45 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    WTF does that have to do with minorities? Trying to puke out the same pointless arguments made from democrat politicians?

Quote Originally Posted by zEmini View Post
    WTF does that have to do with minorities? Trying to puke out the same pointless arguments made from democrat politicians?
    Of course it's an issue for democrats-Republicans win their voters by making them afraid of anyone not like them...If they could get away with a law that give you an extra vote for each CSA flag emblazoned on your pick-up, they would.

Quote Originally Posted by Raleina View Post
    Must be exhausting to always find a way to find any form of racism. Everyone in the Netherlands is entitled to support if they are earning minimal wage. Including so called "minorities". Btw the whole term "minorities" is degrading a whole community of people. What gives you the right to call anyone less than others
    Because CLEARLY it doesn’t have to do with population percentages.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    To vote, an official ID has "always" been required here in Finland... and nobody has ever whined about it.

It's god damn common sense that you need to prove your identity before casting a vote.
    This. Should not be a issue to have a official voter ID.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    Cynical push by conservatives to supress the power of the most vulnerable. I appreciate it's normal or even law to have an ID in other countries but that isn't the law here. Personally didn't have any form of ID other than a birth certificate until two years ago when I opened my first bank account.

Mechagnome
    7+ Year Old Account
    wait you didn't need any form of ID to vote before?

I mean I get the whole "don't limit who can vote" thing, but there does have to be some checks in place to make sure people are who they say they are. Voter fraud disenfranchises voters too.
    Ily mmoc

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalera View Post
    Without an I.D whats stopping a person from voting 10 times?
    The people at the Polling station that take your name and look at your face and ask for your polling card if you have it