New build: Need motherboard and CPU cooler advice

Hi all, working on getting a new computer setup. I have a few parts already, but i want to do a nice clean build. I plan to use the NZXT H200i Mini ITX in white to build around. Here is what I currently am looking at https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RnJYgw

Case: NZXT H200i Mini ITX - I have been looking for a small case, as I don't need tons of room or 10 drives, I plan to use 1-2 SSD or upgrade to a M.2 drive. I like the case because it's simple, clean, and small. I didn't want any odd shapes like some gaming cases have and the white just looks so clean.

CPU: i7-8700k - I know it's overkill for what I do, but I was able to get it for the price of a i5-8600k, so wth.

Ram: Going to get 16gb, I have 3 listed on pcpartpicker, just to keep bookmarked, want to keep with the white theme.

GPU: GTX 1080 - It is overkill also, but I got a good deal on it, otherwise if I sold it I would go back to my 1060 6gb.

Storage: I have a SSD, may upgrade to larger down the line.

PSU: I currently have a Thermaltake 750w simi-modular ATX PS. It's less than 2 years old and will be covered by the PSU shroud in the case. The case does fit ATX size so I might as well use it.

Mobo: This is one item I am up in the air about. There looks to be few options for Z370 itx motherboards. I see 5 listed on pcpartpicker. I am looking for bluetooth, wifi is a nice plus. The case has 2 USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports, so need a header for that. The case also comes with a smart device hub for controlling fans, lighting, ect that needs a USB 2 header. Those two headers are not a problem, but when looking for an AIO CPU water cooler, it seems some run off of a usb 2 header. It seems that I could get a NZXT Internal USB Port Expansion Kit for $20 that would give me extra slots, or the ASUS mobo has a usb 3.1 gen 2 header that maybe can get an adapter to turn it into a usb 2. I have a bit of looking into this and seems to be a problem with the itx mobos lack of headers.

CPU Cooler: I need suggestions on this one also. I am currently using a simply Hyper 212 cooler, but I think it would just look odd in a small case, so I am thinking of going to AIO water cooling. The NZXT X52 is all nice and fancy, would go with the case and the RGB is probably the best of any AIO, butttt newegg reviews suggest alot of them die within a few months. I did find a Deepcool Captain 240EX in white that would match the case nicely. They have a RGB version that doesn't look as nice as the X52 for almost the same price, but I think I would stay with the white non RGB version of the Deepcool. Reviews put it in the middle of the pack for performance, but it is quieter than most. It is also powered by a 3 pin fan header which would solve my mobo issue.

Looking into GPU length requirements, the cases says it has 325mm. My GPU is 281mm which leaves 44mm of clearance. The X52 radiator is 30mm and the 240EX is 27mm so they would fit. But doesn't include the fans. If I remove the 2 fans in the front of the case I would have enough room, does that sound right?

TLDR: What CPU cooler should I get? What motherboard should I get? Did I miss anything else?
    Last edited by Knaby; 2018-05-06 at 06:40 PM.

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Knaby View Post
    Hi all, working on getting a new computer setup. I have a few parts already, but i want to do a nice clean build. I plan to use the NZXT H200i Mini ITX in white to build around. Here is what I currently am looking at pcpartpicker.com/list/RnJYgw (can't post links)

Case: NZXT H200i Mini ITX - I have been looking for a small case, as I don't need tons of room or 10 drives, I plan to use 1-2 SSD or upgrade to a M.2 drive. I like the case because it's simple, clean, and small. I didn't want any odd shapes like some gaming cases have and the white just looks so clean.

CPU: i7-8700k - I know it's overkill for what I do, but I was able to get it for the price of a i5-8600k, so wth.

Ram: Going to get 16gb, I have 3 listed on pcpartpicker, just to keep bookmarked, want to keep with the white theme.

GPU: GTX 1080 - It is overkill also, but I got a good deal on it, otherwise if I sold it I would go back to my 1060 6gb.

Storage: I have a SSD, may upgrade to larger down the line.

PSU: I currently have a Thermaltake 750w simi-modular ATX PS. It's less than 2 years old and will be covered by the PSU shroud in the case. The case does fit ATX size so I might as well use it.

Mobo: This is one item I am up in the air about. There looks to be few options for Z370 itx motherboards. I see 5 listed on pcpartpicker. I am looking for bluetooth, wifi is a nice plus. The case has 2 USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports, so need a header for that. The case also comes with a smart device hub for controlling fans, lighting, ect that needs a USB 2 header. Those two headers are not a problem, but when looking for an AIO CPU water cooler, it seems some run off of a usb 2 header. It seems that I could get a NZXT Internal USB Port Expansion Kit for $20 that would give me extra slots, or the ASUS mobo has a usb 3.1 gen 2 header that maybe can get an adapter to turn it into a usb 2. I have a bit of looking into this and seems to be a problem with the itx mobos lack of headers.

CPU Cooler: I need suggestions on this one also. I am currently using a simply Hyper 212 cooler, but I think it would just look odd in a small case, so I am thinking of going to AIO water cooling. The NZXT X52 is all nice and fancy, would go with the case and the RGB is probably the best of any AIO, butttt newegg reviews suggest alot of them die within a few months. I did find a Deepcool Captain 240EX in white that would match the case nicely. They have a RGB version that doesn't look as nice as the X52 for almost the same price, but I think I would stay with the white non RGB version of the Deepcool. Reviews put it in the middle of the pack for performance, but it is quieter than most. It is also powered by a 3 pin fan header which would solve my mobo issue.

Looking into GPU length requirements, the cases says it has 325mm. My GPU is 281mm which leaves 44mm of clearance. The X52 radiator is 30mm and the 240EX is 27mm so they would fit. But doesn't include the fans. If I remove the 2 fans in the front of the case I would have enough room, does that sound right?

TLDR: What CPU cooler should I get? What motherboard should I get? Did I miss anything else?
    Best RGB in an AIO is the Thermaltake Floe Riing RGB TT Premium Edition series and at the same time they cool better then both NZXT and Corsair. BUT they allso cost much more
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Quote Originally Posted by Knaby View Post

You are supposed to remove the 2 fans at the front, otherwise AIO doesnt fit.

There is a radiator panel that comes out so you can place the GPU and fix the radiator/fans afterwards, pain in the ass cases ;p

And doesnt the Strix Z370-I cover all your needs?

Edit: http://www.lian-li.com/product/pw-ic01nh45/

https://www.amazon.com/Lian-Li-PW-IC.../dp/B072K47DRW

+ https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H2ZDAJI..._YOK0ybWGR4K7E

There it is, expensive as fuck (30$?) but basically what you need..It turns the 3.1 header into whats needed for the AIO cooler, plug it in, voila, plug the USB 2 controller into your smart device and i think you are done.

Therefor motherboard choice shouldnt matter that much.
    Last edited by potis; 2018-05-06 at 02:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post
    Best RGB in an AIO is the Thermaltake Floe Riing RGB TT Premium Edition series and at the same time they cool better then both NZXT and Corsair. BUT they allso cost much more
    Every review ive seen of thermaltakes 360 aio is behind nzxt's 280.

And OP have you looked at the nzxt manta case? It is not tempered glass but besides that omission it is the best itx case on the market still. It is able to fit two radiators which is unheard of for itx.

As for AIO's you really cant go wrong with anything, i have the kraken x62 with a delidded 8700k and average gaming temps are in the 40's at 5.0ghz.

I'd invest in LGA 2066 motherboard imho.

Quote Originally Posted by Voidwielder View Post
    Not the best choice for most people, 8700k clocks a lot higher than those chips and most games also play better on the mainstream architecture. 2066 is only a better choice for a very small part of the population, and those people arent gamers.

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    You are supposed to remove the 2 fans at the front, otherwise AIO doesnt fit.

There is a radiator panel that comes out so you can place the GPU and fix the radiator/fans afterwards, pain in the ass cases ;p

And doesnt the Strix Z370-I cover all your needs?

There it is, expensive as fuck (30$?) but basically what you need..It turns the 3.1 header into whats needed for the AIO cooler, plug it in, voila, plug the USB 2 controller into your smart device and i think you are done.

Therefor motherboard choice shouldnt matter that much.
    The Strix is $100 than any of the other ones, so I could go with an adapter. Thanks for looking that up.

Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post
    I'll take a look at it, the price looks to be what the X52 is when not on sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post

And OP have you looked at the nzxt manta case? It is not tempered glass but besides that omission it is the best itx case on the market still. It is able to fit two radiators which is unheard of for itx.

As for AIO's you really cant go wrong with anything, i have the kraken x62 with a delidded 8700k and average gaming temps are in the 40's at 5.0ghz.
    The case only supports up to 240mm rad. The Manta case I don't like how it looks at all, thanks for the suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Voidwielder View Post
    I already own the CPU.

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post

Tweaktown Thermaltake floe riing 360 tt premium cpu cooler review

Nikktech thermaltake floe riing rgb 360 tt premium edition

Tomshardware Thermaltake floe riing rgb 360 t premium edition

I would have taken the ALPHACOOL EISBAER 360 if it wasn't so damn UGLY and the swiftech H320 X2 Prestige are out of stock and no new date on when it will be in stock
    Last edited by pansertjald; 2018-05-07 at 04:36 PM.
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

This guy has the 360 floe well behind the kraken:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pf_ejKGzd9c

And when you normalize for noise the x62 is the best AIO gamers nexus has tested:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8y0JBsZ5t0

The toms article you linked is also using the x61, and evga's 280 (which is similar in performance to x62) whooped thermaltakes 360.

I just dont see thermaltake as a top performer, they also have terrible software.