Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Few things I've noted whilst testing

- the 10% leech from pet is incredibly helpful, I rarely go below 80% health even when AoE pulling.
    - I feel often I have to weave kill commands and raptor strikes as I go low on focus very quickly, flanking strike seems like a must for focus starving issues.
    - I feel like you'll need a certain amount of haste for the build to flow nicely. when I pop berserking the spec feels extremely satisfying to play and flows incredibly well, without berserking it's a little stale.
    - Serpent sting duration seems a little short, though it costs nothing so is fine to refresh.

All in all playing Survival then playing my UH DK, I can't see why you'd pick SV over UH at current time. Obviously 120 I haven't touched yet so can't comment on that, for all we know Survival could scale incredibly well at 120 and be amazing with gear and UH could be turd.

I love the new survival rotation but the main issue I have is the lack of AoE. It seems like a lot of classes have very little AoE and other classes got to keep their AoE. Beast cleave is still there. Warriors still get to keep their spam able WW. Monks AoE is still crazy. But I can see without a spamable AoE once 120 rolls around and we get more gear we just wont be viable for M+ due to our lack of AoE

Quote Originally Posted by Tobbie View Post
    I love the new survival rotation but the main issue I have is the lack of AoE. It seems like a lot of classes have very little AoE and other classes got to keep their AoE. Beast cleave is still there. Warriors still get to keep their spam able WW. Monks AoE is still crazy. But I can see without a spamable AoE once 120 rolls around and we get more gear we just wont be viable for M+ due to our lack of AoE
    Yeah that's my pet peeve at the moment. either multi serpent sting or butchery with wildfire bomb and chakram. it's not massive but we have some at least.. It is however nowhere near as good as my unholy who has virulent plague, death and decay and epidemic spam.

Yep, i tried it for couple of hours, same interrogation... Our lack of AOE will be our biggest fear at higher level...
    1-3 targets seems our niche with SS (talent 15 viper venom giving good burst on first hit, and talent 30 hydra bites), if we talent in Aoe, Gorilla tactics or butchery and Chakram, our single target damage become trash...
    Kill command is super bad...seriously, wtf is wrong with that.. it hit like a wet noodle, should be call ''kitten attack'' it looks nothing like a ferocious killing attack... you spam it 4 times in a row with the grenade pheromone, and it deals less damage than the initial damage of SS....

I really never understood this Blizz logic behind "generators do no fuckin damage". How hard it is to make KC do same damage as Raptor Strike or a little less, but give RS some kind of proc interraction to give you a reason to press it as much as possible. We have Enh Shaman and Ret pally who plays SO fuckin smooth even without any legendaries and artifact and we have specs like surv, arms, fury, MM that are build around stupid damage windows, generator-spender nonsense and stuff.

Does anyone else hate how serpent sting only lasts for 10seconds? feels like you apply it, cast a few raptor strikes then you have to re-apply it again, kinda annoying..

also, is wildfire bomb a dps gain on ST or has this not been tested yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Yhcti View Post
    also, is wildfire bomb a dps gain on ST or has this not been tested yet?
    Wildfire bomb and serpent sting have pretty much the same damage untalented per cast, wildfire bomb ticks twice as fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Ifritlol View Post
    I really never understood this Blizz logic behind "generators do no fuckin damage". How hard it is to make KC do same damage as Raptor Strike or a little less, but give RS some kind of proc interraction to give you a reason to press it as much as possible. We have Enh Shaman and Ret pally who plays SO fuckin smooth even without any legendaries and artifact and we have specs like surv, arms, fury, MM that are build around stupid damage windows, generator-spender nonsense and stuff.
    There is a single target build that focuses quite a bit on kill command where kill command has 2 charges, does more damage and empowers raptor strike. Coordinated assault (the surv offensive cd) doubles the chance for kc to reset and gives some extra damage. That build is really simple to play though, if you take bloodseeker it's kinda fun to try to get the bleed on as many targets as possible to stack the haste buff. I do agree however that kc at the moment deals very little damage but it's a tuning issue. Part of it is that kc costs no focus and is not affected by the mastery.
    Last edited by Cthulhu fhtagn; 2018-05-05 at 09:54 PM.

Ive been playing surv a bit on beta and honestly it feels pretty good...single target. The AoE is honestly atrocious. the lack of aoe you can really feel, and even if you talent it feels more like mild cleave than anything else. I like where surv is going its just not there yet. Flanking strike is a shame its a talent and sharing the mongoose bite row, i feel like you could add a nice burst window with the stacks of mongoose. You can do it anyway, but you find yourself rather low on resources without the flanking strike baseline. Wildfire infusion is kinda cool, but i just feel like chakrams is better atm so u can just get SOME added cleave. Feel like they really need to pump up the lvl 30 talent row to make up for it.

Ah fair enough every log i look at serpent sting is #1 on aoe and wildifre is 2nd or 3rd

So having played SV for all of Legion, I find the new SV completely unrecognizable. I don't even know what the hell I should be taking for talents for leveling on the beta because I don't know where my damage comes from, and if Wildfire should be used ST or strictly AoE. Their design decisions are a little muddy on this.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Only tried it briefly, but it felt as if it had gone from being a bloated spec, to a naked spec

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by aarrok View Post
    Anyone else played Survival in the Alpha/Beta and felt it was too much of a 1 button spam? Just doesn't feel as tho it has a lot to do anymore. And the talents, in my opinion, are pretty weak. Wildfire bomb is a pain to use, given you have to line up perfectly in order to hit the most enemies in the cone area. KC feels underwhelming. And serp sting is only really good if you take the tier 1 talent that chance to proc from raptor strike. So you basically have 4 abilities (5 if you took steel trap). I get that they are trying to clean up the bloat, but feels like they took too much out and left feeling boring. Curious to see what others think.
    I dislike that they basically turned it into BM-lite.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Miss Legion Survival Hunter. Looks pointless without Mongoose Bite being the focus of the spec. Where did all the synergy go? Why did they give Survival ranged abilities when it's a melee spec? It lacks direction and purpose. It feels like it's being cannibalized by the MM and BM fantasy.

Quote Originally Posted by Razion View Post
    Why did they give Survival ranged abilities when it's a melee spec?
    Because making it a melee spec was a bad idea.

REALLY enjoying Vipers Venom + Hydras Bite for general play and AoE, it's effect works on all 3 of the initial darts you fire so is a nice addition. Shame it's a proc BUT it does proc a lot..
    Also makes Survival REALLY strong for levelling, kill 1 mob? rarely ever just pull 1 mob at a time, always doing 3+ pulls

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't get the hype when the new SV spec was reviewed for the first time on alpha. Tried it several times with different talents. For me a spec with the old Legion talents (Mongoose Bite + Butchery) worked best. Not because I was used to it, but with these talents I had some bursty AoE and some "rampup" mechanic that rewarded some bigger numbers.

With the other specs I tried the SV Hunter just felt boring. I was just spamming abilities that came off cooldown, tried to prioritize Mongoose Bite and Wildfire Bomb because those skills dealt the most damage. Felt totally unrewarding and dumb - was really disappointed. From all specs I tried so far MM (with a pet for leveling) worked best for me.

Deleted
    Really feels like something that was thrown together because they wanted to give hunters a melee spec. Like there is a rotation of abilities that could come from 5 different classes. Its got some stuff from survival, some from BM.

Delete survival and give hunters a dark ranger spec. Want to buy

Quote Originally Posted by Grimnir211 View Post
    Playing survival hunter in the beta and my thoughts are

- The reset on kill command feels useless and clunky, almost as clunky as Mongoose bite procs
    - Mongoose bite talent feels mandatory to make the rotation feel more complex beyond spamming
    - Everything seems to do so little damage except Raptor Strike
    - No AoE skills besides multidotting and Wildfire without talents feels wrong

I feel like Survival is lacking competitive damage, even if the numbers may prove the opposite.
    I just want to comment on this; because I see some of these notions a lot, among all class forums.

1) Everything seems to do little damage.
    A large part of this is psychological as well, as all damage numbers have been tuned down a lot.
    No matter how you turn it, it will take a while to get adjusted to the re-tuned numbers.

I mean survival lacking competetive damage is contrasting to a lot of reports I heard toward the end of alpha and also the response from blizzard on this. Since most of that indicated that survival was doing extremely well, maybe even TOO well.

2) No AoE skill besides multidotting and Wildfire.
    I do feel like Survival would benefit from getting carve back (if only so you have some fun button to press while strolling through town :P).
    But on this front also keep in mind that AoE has been massively nerfed ACROSS THE BOARD. I see a lot of complaints about this from the MM side of things too, but (almost) every single class has seen massive cuts in it's AoE output as far as I'm aware.

I think survival would fill a niche with multidotting that hunters have been lacking a lot, which is is spread AoE damage. So I see that as more of a positive thing than a negative thing.
    I know a lot of hunters wouldn't want to go survival as it's melee; but it's not going to change for yet another expansion, so you might as well face the facts that it's here to stay (for now). I'd rather have old survival back as well (hell we're basically 1 raptor strike away from going back to fully ranged), so I still hope they change their minds at some point. But I think their pride screams louder than our complaints.
    Last edited by Nythiz; 2018-05-07 at 03:32 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Razion View Post
    Miss Legion Survival Hunter. Looks pointless without Mongoose Bite being the focus of the spec. Where did all the synergy go? Why did they give Survival ranged abilities when it's a melee spec? It lacks direction and purpose. It feels like it's being cannibalized by the MM and BM fantasy.
    From playing around with it most of the synergy seems to come from talents wildfire infusion feels great for example. I also much prefer that mongoose bite isn’t based on charges any more that one change made it my preferred choice for that talent row.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by FpicEail View Post
    I wonder I know you hate meele, would you like survival if it was the same as it is on beta but with raptor strike/mongoose bite replaced with a range shot?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nupomaniac View Post
    Really feels like something that was thrown together because they wanted to give hunters a melee spec. Like there is a rotation of abilities that could come from 5 different classes. Its got some stuff from survival, some from BM.

Delete survival and give hunters a dark ranger spec. Want to buy
    Comparing it to live not it’s realy not to different.
    Kill command is just a ranged flaking strike.
    Serpent string is just a ranged lacerate.
    Wild fire bomb is just base line with talents to make it feel better.
    Raptor strike is still a meele hit and you can talent into mongoose bite.

Over all survival is pretty much the same but now has added range.

Quote Originally Posted by FpicEail View Post
    Survival could have been made easier to appeal to long-time Hunters. Melee is fun, so don't pretend that's the problem.
    Last edited by Razion; 2018-05-07 at 04:37 PM.