Thread: V-Sync for WoW

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

V-Sync for WoW

So I've been toying with whether or not to use vsync in wow and am looking for opinions. I'm running a 4k 60hz monitor and maintain very good FPS recently. Something has bumped me up in average FPS and I don't know what it is...better addon, drivers, who knows. Anyway, at ultra with no AA, I'm running sometimes upwards of 200 FPS in the order hall and raiding stays relatively above 60. Exceptions are heavy AOE and fire damage. Fire damage chokes my machine.

Anyway, I've tried the in game vsync, and that seems to work okay. I feel that there is some input lag but I guess that's expected. Running a GTX 1080, I see that there are adaptive Vsync as well, and I understand the concept but haven't really had a reason to try it or use it.

Any thoughts on running vsync at all with my setup?

Yes, absolutely use vsync on a 60hz monitor. You can also try some of the other sync modes in the nvidia control panel such as adaptive sync or fast sync, but to me traditional vsync is the best mode other than gsync.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would generally avoid using Vsync on a 60Hz monitor unless you have Gsync or Freesync as well. The extra input lag is annoying and if you ever drop below 60fps it goes straight to 30Hz which is a very noticeable stutter imo.

I would instead advice using frame rate target control (or whatever equivalent Nvidia has) or, with an AMD card, Radeon Chill (don't know if Nvidia has something like that?).

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Yes, absolutely use vsync on a 60hz monitor.
    Contrary to this - I'd say NEVER use Vsync, regardless of your monitor. If you enable it, and you drop below 60 - you will be at 30 instead of 59/58, which is far too low, especially when you're used to double or more (well, just double since you don't have a higher refresh rate monitor). It also causes input lag which is never a good thing.

tl;dr - Vsync is shit, unless you absolutely cannot deal with tearing (in which case, Gsync/FreeSync).

Quote Originally Posted by Soisoisoi View Post
    Contrary to this - I'd say NEVER use Vsync, regardless of your monitor. If you enable it, and you drop below 60 - you will be at 30 instead of 59/58, which is far too low, especially when you're used to double or more (well, just double since you don't have a higher refresh rate monitor). It also causes input lag which is never a good thing.

tl;dr - Vsync is shit, unless you absolutely cannot deal with tearing (in which case, Gsync/FreeSync).
    This hasnt been a thing in 10 years, stop spreading this bullshit, how many times am i gonna read this fucking Myth before it dies down.

Double Buffering doesnt even exist in the engines, Triple Buffering is enabled by default in like 90% of the games, and an option everywhere else, therefor this can not happen anymore.

Its not 2005-2010 anymore.

Vsync in WoW is a good thing when you dont want your GPU to work more than it should, aka 99% of the time since its not a GPU heavy game.

Input lag in WoW, really now.
    Last edited by potis; 2018-05-06 at 07:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    This hasnt been a thing in 10 years, stop spreading this bullshit.

Double Buffering doesnt even exist in the engines, Triple Buffering is enabled by default in like 90% of the games, and an option everywhere else, therefor this can not happen anymore.

Its not 2005 anymore.

Input lag in WoW really now.

Vsync in WoW is a good thing when you dont want your GPU to work more than it should, aka 99% of the time since its not a GPU heavy game.
    Input lag still exists in WoW. Log into game, enable it, and you can feel it yourself.

Input lag still exists in WoW. Log into game, enable it, and you can feel it yourself.
    Input lag has nothing to do with the myth of the "30 fps" that Double Buffering causes which does not exist or happen anymore cause its not 2005.

Ive noticed people who are against using vsync are the same people who wouldnt be able to tell if their game is stuttering, they just arent perceptive enough to notice these things. Vsync is literally a perfect game play experience when you can stick to your monitors refresh rate, only rarely are you going to dip below 60 fps in WoW if you are using the proper settings with a new-ish pc. Like i said he should try out fast sync and adaptive sync as well to see if he notices any difference (it really varies from game to game) but what he shouldnt do is go without any sync at all, that is a terrible idea.

Deleted

I know little about this sort of thing but I randomly came across this thread and clicked it because I've always used v-sync under some vague impression it renders extra frames that I couldn't even see since my monitor is 60hz and may cause some problems/make my pc do extra work for no reason. Is this totally wrong?
    Last edited by mmoc30274401ab; 2018-05-06 at 09:07 PM.

I can't play with vsync on 60hz (window mode), the input lag is unbearable for me - I just set max fps. Or maybe something is wrong with my setup, idk... I won't even try to figure it out cause I'm unsubscribed indefinitely.
    Last edited by Sorshen; 2018-05-06 at 09:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarithus93 View Post
    I know little about this sort of thing but I randomly came across this thread and clicked it because I've always used v-sync under some vague impression it renders extra frames that I couldn't even see since my monitor is 60hz and may cause some problems/make my pc do extra work for no reason. Is this totally wrong?
    It is closer to the opposite. V sync puts a cap on frame rates so it is never higher than the monitors refresh rate, which is what causes screen tearing. Personally I use it it to stop cooking my GPU for no good reason. If input lag crops up then it can often be fixed by setting the cap at 59hz rather than 60.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    It is closer to the opposite. V sync puts a cap on frame rates so it is never higher than the monitors refresh rate, which is what causes screen tearing. Personally I use it it to stop cooking my GPU for no good reason. If input lag crops up then it can often be fixed by setting the cap at 59hz rather than 60.
    I'm not sure I understand your reply. I basically asked if using v-sync, which locks the fps to the monitors refresh rate, stops, in your own words 'cooking the gpu for no good reason'. I'm not sure how what I said is the opposite of what you said. If anything we seem to be agreeing.

Edit: were you referencing 'is this totally wrong' when you said it's closer to the opposite?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarithus93 View Post
    I'm not sure I understand your reply. I basically asked if using v-sync, which locks the fps to the monitors refresh rate, stops, in your own words 'cooking the gpu for no good reason'. I'm not sure how what I said is the opposite of what you said. If anything we seem to be agreeing.

Edit: were you referencing 'is this totally wrong' when you said it's closer to the opposite?
    I mean when v sync is in use it is not rendering additional frames you can't see hence it can really chill out the GPU in some games. I think you worded your original statement a bit strangely heh but maybe we are in agreement lol.

Having more fps than what you monitor can display can be smoother, especially noticeable in FPS games like counterstrike. Probably to do with the timeliness of the displayed frame and input lag, but that is also when you can get tearing. I am not 100% clued up on why tearing happens but it seems to be an intermittent issue with some games not other, etc etc.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    I am not 100% clued up on why tearing happens but it seems to be an intermittent issue with some games not other, etc etc.
    It depends how many frames are rendered in the draw. More frames rendered is less noticeable. 2 frames rendered in the same refresh is going to be a giant tear. Its a lot harder to notice in fast paced games or games that have little horizontal movement.

10+ Year Old Account
    With vsync turned off i remember having a line down the middle of the screen when i turned the camera quickly.

The "if you get lower than 60fps you go to 30fps" is pure wrong i had vsync turned on for years before i got a gsync monitor and it never did that.

No reason to not use vsync.

15+ Year Old Account
    vsync tech has changed alot over the years, Like stated by @potis, with triple buffering on you wont notice and drastic fps drops and input lag is minimal, however this is also dependent on your video card and the type of game.

But yeah, vsync is good thing, just dont try and use it with integrated graphics.

https://youtu.be/L07t_mY2LEU?t=547 no idea if the link works, but its all the effort i could be bothered to apply

in short, V-sync adds input lag, regardless of double or triple buffering

Its up to you if you want tearing or higher input lag, in this case anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    vsync tech has changed alot over the years, Like stated by @potis, with triple buffering on you wont notice and drastic fps drops and input lag is minimal, however this is also dependent on your video card and the type of game.

But yeah, vsync is good thing, just dont try and use it with integrated graphics.
    No, i never said that.

Double Buffering and Triple Buffering have to do with the comment that "DONT ENABLE VSYNC YOU WILL HAVE 30 FPS!!!111ONEONELEVEN"

Which hasnt been true since 2009 (more like 2005) where most engines started not even use double buffering and all have Triple Buffering either default hidden at Vsync or as a setting, either way Nvidia forces it, as they should if it detects Vsync, therefor its not possible to see the 60-->30 jumps, ever, unless the game is a pile of shit 2005 engine and doesnt support Triple Buffering.

They both add -input lag-l but its a joke to even comment about input lag in WoW when you play on the GCD either way, WoW isnt some FPS where the difference between 50ms and 87ms of input lag cause Vsync/Triple Buffering are on can affect you in the long run which is why my comment is about WoW.

Deleted
    V-sync + Triple buffering enabled in Wow system settings MAY result in fixed 30 fps near water, open world OR any kind of instances, but only when Liquid Detail is set to "Fair" or above. It is still a thing in Legion, I've seen it in all expansions ever since Cata's DX11 improvements, with mid / low perf cards like nvidia's 460, 560 and 950 GTX, and even with the 980. It is not common, though, but now and again forum posts on battle.net mentioned the sudden framedrops caused by waters. Likely a glitch in the engine, as sub-30% GPU and 60-80% CPU load (single core, rest are on 0) would not indicate any reason for such sudden fps issues.

If someone does not experience it, good for them. Otherwise the "Fast" sync option in Nvidia Control Panel / Program settings / Vertical sync menu is always worth a try (with Triple buffering "Off").