Thread: V-Sync for WoW

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Input lag has nothing to do with the myth of the "30 fps" that Double Buffering causes which does not exist or happen anymore cause its not 2005.
    It's not a myth and it's not strictly related to double buffering, it's just often misunderstood by people like you.

If your screen starts a refresh with vsync active and it doesn't have a new frame in the buffer/s it'll refresh the last finished frame again. Because Vsync forces it to completely refresh each frame - it can't swap halfway through and tear - the next opportunity to refresh a new frame is on the next refresh, so after two intervals of 1/60'th of a second instead of one.

Vsync doesn't care how many frames you can put out in a whole second, it only cares if the next frame is ready in a buffer or not. If it is you'll get a ton of input lag (depending on the refresh rate and the depth of the buffer) from buffering the frames, if it's not you'll get stuttering as the last frame is refreshed twice and the next new one has to wait 1/30'th of a second instead of 1/60'th on a 60hz monitor.

Any static refresh rate vsync method runs into this problem, even an ideally setup triple buffered system can't absorb frametime spikes and performance dips for even a fraction of a second very well. Deeper buffers mean more lag and more resiliency to performance spikes and dips but they still fail hard and fail often if you're not very careful; it's a large part of why the standard method is Vsync-off until using an adaptive refresh monitor.

Most of the rest of the reason is the added input lag which is huge with a 60hz vsync - the methods that are only kinda trash instead of completely trash at dealing with variable performance add even more lag.

This is what happens to input lag when you maintain vsync with a buffer on a 60hz display:
    https://www.blurbusters.com/wp-conte...limit-60Hz.png

Not fun.
    Last edited by Svisalith; 2018-05-07 at 08:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Svisalith View Post
    snip
    Again, i am not talking about Input Lag.

Yes, inputlag increases with Vsync and Triple Buffering makes it much worse, everyone knows that, also highly irrelevant for WoW which is what i am talking about when it comes to inputlag in WoW, its one of those excuses as to why people are shit when its highly irrelevant for a slow ass game like WoW.

Overwatch/CS/FPS games is a different thing completely.

There is no ideally triple buffered system, Triple Buffering, when enabled works exactly how it should (Whelp, at least it works on any PC i have sat on for the last 8 years) i do not see how can anyone claim they have seen their Vsync setting -IN WOW- go from 60 to 30 instantly, it used to happen 2 years ago after a buggy nvidia driver, it also caused my GTX970 to produce a black screen out of nowhere for a week and they fucked something up at the release of Legion that combined with the nvidia shit driver it would trigger, got fixed eventually!

And it used to happen in TBC which is why the amazing "VSYNC OFF!!" appeared for everyone, which was correct back then.

Yes, the frame rate spikes can be an issue and create the feeling, but its not happening because its not working as intended, its when its time to upgrade cause the hardware cant handle the software.

I am not even sure why we keep jumping between Input Lag, to Frame rate spikes to Double Buffering, i am simply referring to the myth that exists, especially in WoW players because of the engine pre-2010 (Which was correct back then, not anymore) that if you set Vsync, your fps will go from 60 to 30, which is what Double Buffering used to cause and what Triple Buffering exists to counter.

I am also assuming we are talking about the fact, you arent gaming on a toaster.
    Last edited by potis; 2018-05-07 at 10:59 PM.

i do not see how can anyone claim they have seen their Vsync setting -IN WOW- go from 60 to 30 instantly
    When it goes even from 60 to 59 what you're seeing is one frame running at "30fps". It's displayed after two 60hz refreshes instead of one. It won't lock to 30 or 60 as easily but if there is ever not a frame in the buffer/s remaining (seen with performance spikes, dips or any area where you can't average at least 1 frame per 16.67ms for a significant period of time) you'll have those drops where the next frame takes twice as long as expected to be displayed. The frametime will jerk back and forth between 16.67ms and 33.34ms (equivelant to 60 or 30fps) rather than being able to smoothly adjust, because it can't display the next frame faster than on the second refresh of the screen.

Higher refresh rate monitors mitigate this but they also reduce the need for vsync. Gsync fixes it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    snip
    I should've used a period after your name, I wasn't actually quoting you, just agreeing.

Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    Use Fast Sync from Nvidia. Reduces input lag, plus no flickering.
    Thanks, this might be an option. I tried just setting vsync in the graphics settings and I maintain constant 60 with no significant drops at all. But, there's a bit of lag that makes me twitch a bit. I may try some nvidia settings out instead.