Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Weeps View Post
    Wrong. The fact you are incapable of equating a legitimately illegal activity (DDoS) which affects paying subscribers... as a real thing... is quite mind boggling.
    Wrong. What is mind boggling is that not being able to play a game for a day is compared to tagging/theft/etc. It shows how spoiled people are....

Didn't the same guy hack the FBI? That seems like something worth jailtime.

Hell even if all he did was ddos wow I still wouldn't have any conflicting feelings about this.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    extraditions are pretty rare, right?
    not really anymore: they tried to get British hacker Lauri Love and they try to get Dotcom from New Zealand.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Hellscream View Post
    Didn't the same guy hack the FBI? That seems like something worth jailtime.
    Except that at the time he did this (1997), it was not illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by Drudatz View Post
    ah the simple minded people comparing vl with rl..... that will work.....not.

You’re wrong, troll.

Quote Originally Posted by HuxNeva View Post
    Except that at the time he did this (1997), it was not illegal.
    I see.. Still I find it hard to feel any sort of pity towards him.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonkaden View Post
    I don't mean kid in the literal sense. I use kid like I use dude, man, guy, etc. lol.

Though someone DDosing is a kid mentally. They have to be to do such ignorant shit.
    aw, you made me feel so good why you do this!?

When i read this part: "Mateias - who is said to have used the online alias Dr Mengele, after the Nazi doctor who conducted deadly experiments on prisoners" i just knew this guy isn't mentally stable, hope he gets some sort of help if not to keep himself save, then atleast for the rest of us, but for now: enjoy the showers, prick.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    Keep it up, others are actually paying to play the game, so he was ruining it for others.

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    sorry attempting to ruin someones business does not fall under "it's a prank bro"

there are real paying customers unable to play the game they have paid for, and continue to pay monthly for, this looks bad on blizzards part, and it's all because some idiot thinks DDoS is ok.

well it's not it's illegal, don't break the law, you won't end up in jail.
    so because you can't play the game he should suffer incredibly ? WOW.. that's petty

Quote Originally Posted by Cracked View Post
    Let's not. Companies need to get better at protecting their infrastructure, the society doesn't need to get better at punishing individuals not harmful to it. I guess we should also jail anyone who sends too much mail causing your package to be delayed by a few days, by your standards.
    You're leaving out quite a few details in that analogy. Firstly, DDOS'ers aren't paying for access to WoW, and they DDOS for the purpose of sabotaging the infrastructure. In light of that, it'd be more like someone breaking into a post office and dumping a bunch of letters that aren't paid for into the bins for the purpose of sabotaging the mail system. Or you could compare it to blockading the entrance to a store so that paying customers can't get in. Either way, both of those would be illegal and deserving of punishment.

Also, it wouldn't matter if companies left their infrastructure unprotected, it doesn't make illegally accessing and sabotaging it okay. Now, companies should be constantly working to protect their infrastructure, but if someone does find an exploit to get through their defenses then that person is still breaking the law. Just because I only have a deadbolt on my door doesn't mean that someone should just be allowed to pry it open since I don't have a super advanced magnetic lock system and a reinforced door frame.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cracked View Post
    I guess you would be surprised to find your home robbed if you left the door open?
    Except blizzard in this example didn't leave the door open, he was able to pick the lock. Are you gonna argue that if I have a door with a pick-able lock then I shouldn't be surprised when someone robs the place? That'd be most of the population that is deserving of robbery by your logic.

I'm starting to get the feeling that you're just an anarchist who's pissy that society has laws that make it so there are consequences for being a malicious prick to people.

Now if only they would catch the lizard-monkey squad and throw them in jail.

Isnt there a way of ddosing without getting caught?

Guy was just sloppy
    Last edited by Fonduset; 2018-05-09 at 10:08 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    Translation: I'd do something like this myself, and imma mad that there's actual consequences for it.
    Ruining someone's life over something so meaningless is indeed not a joke. What was the actual damage? A fat mega corp getting mildly irked ? Some nerds getting pissed they can't play for a day?

Quote Originally Posted by Vorkreist View Post
    Ruining someone's life over something so meaningless is indeed not a joke. What was the actual damage? A fat mega corp getting mildly irked ? Some nerds getting pissed they can't play for a day?
    "Calin Mateias had been accused of flooding Blizzard Entertainment's computer servers with traffic between February and September 2010."

"1 day..." "a joke".... yeah right

Quote Originally Posted by Tonkaden View Post
    I guess his 1 year sentence proves you wrong. In YOUR opinion , it shouldn't be jail time. Opinion and facts. Learn2Difference.

The kid deserves punishment. House arrest is nothing for guys that do this. Most people that do this are introverts anyways. Being under house arrest with hot pockets and a playstation is exactly what they would want anyways. That is life as usual for them.
    It's not so much about my opinion, and it's not so much as "this guy got 1 year - thus he deserves it". Because all sentences are fair, right?

Quote Originally Posted by HuxNeva View Post
    Either that or you become head cheeto of 'murica, right?
    So it's ok to body shame and shit on people based off of skin color if they don't share your politics, amirite?

Hypocrite.
    If we could all sit and talk without demonizing one another and attempt to understand the opposite point of view, the collective world would be a better place. Mental bigotry is the worst of all.

Quote Originally Posted by EternalBany View Post
    this is ridiculous
    now the guy will probably come out with hiv or hanghimself cause of a stupid joke
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
    And DDoSing is not a joke.

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    Very unlikely he'll spend the full year in prison. I'm not even sure if jail is the right place, but imagine stripping his Internet for the next 5 years... now that would hurt.

This type of thing happens in CSGO quite frequently where servers are crashed by random exploits (not actual DDoSing, in most cases it's just some exploit that allows this). Especially in WoW's case it was most likely some random exploit available back in 2010, I would probably argue that this doesn't warrant jail time, primarily because he's already paid $30 000 or so to Blizzard (which on its own is a big blow for a 'day' of inconvenience for some). I also doubt he's a criminal in the sense of other hacker groups, just a kid that got mad and tried to take revenge in the form of server crashing/exploiting.
    Last edited by suprep; 2018-05-09 at 12:25 PM.
    Retired in WoD

Mateias - who is said to have used the online alias Dr Mengele, after the Nazi doctor who conducted deadly experiments on prisoners - had also faced charges over his alleged role in an effort to hack and rob California-based computer vendor Ingram Micro.

Sounds like a shining star of a human