Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Can we stop it with the young kid thing that appears to be a thing in this thread ?

The guy was 30 at the time of offending , 24 at the time of the Ingram Micro and 38 now.

He was not a kid. He is and was an adult at the time of offending so should be tried as .... an adult.

Quote Originally Posted by HuxNeva View Post
    And by 'charges dropped' you mean a 6 figure fine and 6 years Romanian jail time, right?

- - - Updated - - -
    Quote from the article.

"Mateias had also faced charges over his alleged role in an effort to hack and rob California-based computer vendor Ingram Micro.

However, prosecutors dropped the case when Mateias was sentenced to one year in prison over the World of Warcraft affair."

The way it reads, these are US prosecutors dropping charges.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    those truck drives are not all one person, and are not doing it to intentionally cause pile ups.

Now if a truck driver parked 5 trucks on a road to block the highway for a few hours would be in alot of trouble.
    Does intent matter? I mean, they intend to overtake each other at 1mph faster than the other guy, up a slight incline, and take 3 minutes to do so, blocking a lane for the duration. It's a known fact that trucks overtaking other trucks cause congestion, so why do they still do it? Where do you draw the line about how many people are affected? Interestingly, the French blockade ports and roads all the time and nothing really happens. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Gavll View Post
    Quote from the article.

"Mateias had also faced charges over his alleged role in an effort to hack and rob California-based computer vendor Ingram Micro.

However, prosecutors dropped the case when Mateias was sentenced to one year in prison over the World of Warcraft affair."

The way it reads, these are US prosecutors dropping charges.
    Did some digging on the PACER database.

You are indeed correct.

The case was called "United States vs Calin Mateias". The order to dismiss the indictment was signed off on by a US federal judge.

Also the court document previous to the dismissal order is titled "ORDER granting 14 Motion for Joinder in Government's Motion to Dismiss the Indictment as to MATEIAS CALIN (1). Signed by Judge Donetta W. Ambrose on 5/9/18"

So yes. It was the US goverment who are the prosecutors in this instance and they indeed were the ones wanting to dismiss the indictment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VyersReaver View Post
    All crimes should be punishable with incarceration then?
    No at all, but he should certainly be punished. His life isn’t being ruined.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-Signature by Winter Blossom-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bluspacecow View Post
    Can we stop it with the young kid thing that appears to be a thing in this thread ?

The guy was 30 at the time of offending , 24 at the time of the Ingram Micro and 38 now.

He was not a kid. He is and was an adult at the time of offending so should be tried as .... an adult.
    The report is from 2004 and states him as 24 then. Ergo he was 19 not 24 as the attack happened in 1999.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by HuxNeva View Post
    He's in there for 6 months already awaiting trial
    Very stupid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracked View Post
    Let's not. Companies need to get better at protecting their infrastructure, the society doesn't need to get better at punishing individuals not harmful to it. I guess we should also jail anyone who sends too much mail causing your package to be delayed by a few days, by your standards.
    YES, PLEASE...

Don't slow down my amazon shipment, thank you.
    Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz | MSI - Z370 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | Corsair - Vengeance LED 32GB DDR4-3400 Memory | Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive | Samsung - 850 Pro Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive | EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB ACX 3.0 Video Card | Corsair - 850W ATX Power Supply | 2 x HP - Omen 27 27.0" 2560x1440 165Hz Monitor | Microsoft - Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Let's not. Companies need to get better at protecting their infrastructure, the society doesn't need to get better at punishing individuals not harmful to it. I guess we should also jail anyone who sends too much mail causing your package to be delayed by a few days, by your standards.
    Hang on a minute there lol you have it all the wrong way round.... if you stop the people doing this kinda of stuff problem is stopped and the company's don't need ultra high tech tech security and can invest in better product development.

Its like your saying lets not bother arresting criminals who go around mugging people at gun point, lets just give everyone a gun to shoot the miuggers..... does nothing to stop the actual problem and just escalates the problem.

And by definition ... they guy caused harm lol

its naively silly to think that its not a crime and not a punishable as such.
    Science has made us gods even before we are worthy of being men: Jean Rostand. Yeah, Atheism is a religion like bald is a hair colour!.
    Classic: "The tank is the driver, the healer is the fuel, and the DPS are the kids sitting in the back seat screaming and asking if they're there yet."
    Irony >> "do they even realize that having a state religion IS THE REASON WE LEFT BRITTEN? god these people are idiots"

Quote Originally Posted by bluspacecow View Post
    Did some digging on the PACER database.

You are indeed correct.

The case was called "United States vs Calin Mateias". The order to dismiss the indictment was signed off on by a US federal judge.

Also the court document previous to the dismissal order is titled "ORDER granting 14 Motion for Joinder in Government's Motion to Dismiss the Indictment as to MATEIAS CALIN (1). Signed by Judge Donetta W. Ambrose on 5/9/18"

So yes. It was the US goverment who are the prosecutors in this instance and they indeed were the ones wanting to dismiss the indictment.
    Many thanks kind sir (or miss)!

Quote Originally Posted by Dottywotty View Post
    Also, what motive do you have to DDoS anyone besides it being a joke or "getting back" at them for probably being banned by them lmao
    Well, if you read the linked article, instead of talking out of your butt, it says he was doing it against other guilds as a raider. They were probably trying for a world first, and were fucking over other guilds.

Motivation doesn't mean squat, what he did was actionable. The court doesn't really care why you're an asshole.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shnider View Post
    I don't understand why there are communities who enjoy DDOSig gaming servers. I don't see the pleasure in it.

unless they got banned and they want revenge.
    I can think of all kinds of reasons. There have been rumors of players using DDOS attacks to win matches, to deny other gamers achievements, etc. It's not just pleasure, some scumbag players allegedly use it to make up for their lack of skill in competitive play.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Justpassing View Post
    I don't see the problem. It's not like he got the death penalty. One year is nothing.
    The issue of him being a convicted felon will have more impact on him for the rest of his life. He's now locked out of all kinds of opportunity, especially employment - and when he gets out, and is sent back to his home country, he'll have a lot of issues traveling outside of his country. Felony convictions are no joke, no matter how long you actually serve.

And, considering the nature of the felony, and the Ingram Micro issue, he can forget about working around computers or money.

Before you start neckbearding about him being Romanian, it's as much an issue there, as it would be as an American citizen.

Fuck Him!!

As ye sow, so shall ye reap!!

Mechagnome
    7+ Year Old Account
    This is like someone blocking the entrance to a company so other customers can't enter and then saying "They should build more doors durr" how idiotic lmao.
    Ily mmoc

10+ Year Old Account
    Good. What a fucking idiot. Also tried to hack and rob a computer place. Nothing worse than scumbag cowards that hide behind their anonymity and make other people miserable for their own benefit. You would think at 30 you'd realize that having the the power to do something doesn't mean you should do it. I guess some people never grow the fuck up.
    Ryzen 9 5900X/Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600 CL16/AORUS 1080 Ti Xtreme/Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi/Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240/Optane 900p 3D XPoint/EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2/Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL/Steelcase Leap/BenQ XL2411Z/Philips Fidelio X2HR/Noppoo Choc Mini (RIP Reckful)/Razer Viper Ultimate/QcK Heavy

If only, I think 1 year is really not so much for his crime. DDoSers should be put into a space shuttle and sent to explore Mars. In a one way trip, you know. That way those idiots at least would do something useful with their miserable, useless lives of a leech.
    No more time wasted in WoW.. still reading this awesome forum, though

Let's not. Companies need to get better at protecting their infrastructure, the society doesn't need to get better at punishing individuals not harmful to it.
    Bullshit. Do you know anything about DDOS attacks? Do you have any idea how huge they can be? I'll clue you in: In February, Github got hit with 1.35 terabits per second of traffic. For perspective, back when I had Comcast, I had a 1TB data cap. That would have been filled in six seconds.

Companies shouldn't have to pay tens of thousands of dollars per month to the handful of companies in the world that can manage that kind of traffic because some little shithead thought it was funny. It has absolutely nothing to do with any kind of capacity it needs to perform its job. That is literally a shithead tax, and no company or its customers should be forced to pay it. Even back in 2010, this attack cost Blizzard just shy of $30,000.

Further, your comparison to the mail system is dumb. You can buy DDOS "services" from botnet providers for a couple hundred bucks. Go ahead and price check what postage on enough parcels to cripple the postal service would cost. And by the way? I can't speak to the rest of the world but in the United States delaying the mail is actually a felony. It's the same crime postal workers are charged with when they hoard your mail.

I'm a big advocate of criminal justice reform, but at a one year sentence they got this one exactly right. It's not a joke, and it's not any less criminal because it happened to be a video game server they targeted. (He was also originally charged with hacking and robbery in a separate case, because clearly people who do this are upstanding citizens.)

I guess you would be surprised to find your home robbed if you left the door open?
    Your second stupid analogy aside, nobody would be surprised -- but we would also damn well expect the police to prosecute the guy when they found him.
    “Nostalgia was like a disease, one that crept in and stole the colour from the world and the time you lived in. Made for bitter people. Dangerous people, when they wanted back what never was.” -- Steven Erikson, The Crippled God

Low Orbit Ion Cannon for the win bois!!! :>

EDIT: Recently tested the app in my own test environment. Had a firewall, 1Gbps full duplex port. And was able to basically overload the machine (2 processors) with 500Kbps http DoS. Cool n' amazin' stuff on what it can do.

PS. Run the linux binaries, more functions than the pre-compiled Windows one.
    Last edited by Nussa; 2018-05-10 at 06:25 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Said he DDoS'd back in 2010. So it took them 8 years to find and nail him in court?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by EternalBany View Post
    this is ridiculous
    now the guy will probably come out with hiv or hanghimself cause of a stupid joke
    Don't fuck with a multi-billion dollar company. They can afford the best lawyers.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Kieldon View Post
    Well deserved IRL ban.
    Still the best comment in this thread xD

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Woo !
    I really dont want to "pay" to have this guy in jail. It should be community service along with a fine.

A more apt comparison would be someone flooding post boxes with millions of unstamped letters. Not someone paying for delivery of junk mail. At least the service provider gets compensated by the joker in the latter.