Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I only have one observation, and one concern. The observation is that I expected Zandalar to be to the left of the Maelstrom, for some reason. And my concern is that I think the right side of the map looks... "too busy", too cluttered, with the Broken Isles, Kul'Tiras and Zandalar all clumped together, Blizzard even had to 'push' Eastern Kingdoms more to the right to make room.

I still have no idea why it's so hard to make the maps look like the Chronicle's version with actual proper scaling. It's like the game devs want the game map to look like that joke map with islands all over the place.
    Last edited by leviathonlx; 2018-05-09 at 05:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zka View Post
    This. Even if you open it every minute. As long as it looks OK and functions well, why would you care about anything else? People have interesting priorities.
    I'm just looking at the map like "as long as I can quickly swing my cursor over the spot I want and click without missing, it's fine."

If they make them any smaller, I'd imagine that people with unstable/shaky hands will be zipping their map to the wrong continent nearly every time they utilize the zoom out/in functions. Hell, I already do it from time to time with some of the smaller zones in EK/Kalimdor.

I am a Cartographer by occupation, and this whole thread makes my head hurt. I wish I had the time to write a good post, but I rush it I will probably sound snarky and dismissive. On the other hand, a thread about real and imaginary maps! I once tried to make an atlas of Narnia. Fantasy maps are easier said then done! I do with we had something like this to figure out the scale....

Last edited by DoomReaver; 2018-05-09 at 05:48 PM. Reason: mistake

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    The map isn’t to scale. It doesn’t matter at all how clumped up they are, as long as you can click them to zoom in who gives a fuck? It’s more of a reference guide than a to scale map. What would be cool is eventually if they replaced the map with a globe that you could rotate to select zones. Then they would make them properly to scale. But until that happens they have limited room to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Well duh, I don't know why it's a bad thing. Yeah we knew Kul'Tiras was there no shit, but really gameplay wise it wasn't there. Only thing i'll agree on is stretching the map out a bit for more area to use to cover landmasses.
    Never said it was a bad thing. Just that I find it stupid and cringe worthy because it's pretty dumb to think the in game characters wouldn't have actual updated maps that included locations they KNOW are there...like Suramar and Valsharah where Malfurion was literally born and raised or Kul Tiras where Jaina is from and many others zones that weren' added until later but we knew were there. I also said I find it understandable because of the game play reason you're also referencing.

The map is made to be functional, not to scale. I wouldn't want to fumble around trying to click on the Broken Isles or Zandalar because they're tiny specks compared to the continents.

Just pretend Azeroth has shitty cartographers and the draenei can't be bothered to fly their fancy spaceship a few times around the planet so your precious immersion isn't broken.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoramier of Lordaeron View Post
    If you have trouble clicking on these

then you probably have parkinsons.

It's utterly nonsense that they need to be 10x the size to click on them.
    It's uttelry nonsense to go overboard on a map that people really odn't use. Talk about pointless complaining.

10+ Year Old Account
    This map isnt 100% to the real sizes and positions of lands. It just show where those are +-. Historical maps isnt 100% too just take a look at old worlds map and compare to the actual maps. And ofc they didnt plan to make azeroth big like this when game came out.

Kalimdor and EK look way too small. Specially compared to Northrend.

I thought KT was suppose to be a lot smaller, but with this map, I like the way it looks. It makes the two new zones feel a little more lively and thick, since the two new zones are split.

Quote Originally Posted by chiddie View Post
    And yet we traveled for years between Kalimdor and the EK without noticing broken islands and zandalar.

GG captain!!!!
    We knew of them; Especially so Broken Isles. They were just retconned to be entirely different than what they are
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Huntaer View Post
    That reminds me of this:
    Yeah pretty much. I'm not sure why Blizzard doesn't utilize the maps it has had in the past, instead of putting stuff where it never was.

Here's another iteration:

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Solarnova View Post
    Yeah pretty much. I'm not sure why Blizzard doesn't utilize the maps it has had in the past, instead of putting stuff where it never was.

Stupid Isle and Hordrassil ahahahahahahahahaahah my sides!!

Quote Originally Posted by Solarnova View Post

Stupid Isle - lol'd.

If clickableness is an issue why not add a zoom function to the map? Actually they already did If I recall, they should just scale them down and have us zoom in.

Quote Originally Posted by In Ogres We Trust View Post
    World maps and globes aren't canonical references.
    What we see from Argus is the actual planet. It's not like a world map or a globe where we can just write off inconsistencies as cartography errors. Adding a "southern hemisphere" south of Pandaria would be a retcon at this point.
    Professor of History at Dalaran University

7+ Year Old Account
    Beautiful and Well Crafted are the two words I have to say about the Latest World Map of Azeroth.

It is very Awesome.
    High Elves and Wildhammer Dwarves are finally playable in the Alliance. XD

7+ Year Old Account
    Currently 47°, -122° ... Originally 53°, -9°
    Quote Originally Posted by Jin View Post
    When the alliance went to Broken Isle, wouldn't they have discovered Kul Tiras first?
    We already knew about the existence of Kul'Tiras, Zandalar, Broken Isles & Northrend. In fact, the only land mass we didn't have cartographical knowledge of was Pandaria. We knew of it's existence (thanks to wandering Pandaren, such as Chen Stormstout, but not where it (or if it still) existed.