Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    So, I think I finally reached a new point in anime.

I watched SSY after Zath insisted I should.

And...I honestly feel like this is a case of an anime I SHOULD love, but I just can't.
    It's honestly frustrating me a bit. I dug up some reactions to when it ended too from the old thread, and I still can't make heads or tails of this.

I will say though-
    Squealer did nothing wrong.

But seriously, the whole "We are human!" speech he had was great. I found the whole show blurred the lines well between right and wrong, good and evil. But I feel like it outsmarted me. Like there's something I just can't quite grasp from it.

It did get me to feel frustrated at times with their treatment of the Monster Rats. I can't say I ever found the way any characters reacted to them to be reasonable. Kiroumaru was easily the best character though by a long shot.

It's something I WANT to give a 10 to. But I just can't. To me, the 8-10 range is something that not only do I have to love myself, but have an overwhelming desire to suggest it to others when discussing anime.

Maybe I need to watch it again. I don't quite know. Or hear more opinions on it.
    I don't understand this reaction. You want to love it but don't? Why don't you? Is there something about the show you didn't understand?

Quote Originally Posted by Sj View Post
    I don't understand this reaction. You want to love it but don't? Why don't you?
    I'm not Joe, but I'm more or less in the same boat. For me, I can clearly recognize that it's a great show - with the plot, Squealer , etc. - but it didn't click with me... I assume that's due to getting the ending spoiled for me when I was half way through the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Sj View Post
    I don't understand this reaction. You want to love it but don't? Why don't you? Is there something about the show you didn't understand?
    Because if you check myanimelist even, everything I've watched up to this point has been purely entertainment shows.

SSY is the first one really to go beyond that.

Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post
    [IMG]https://78.media.tumblr.com/524d6e7f1fce2172bbc9c2af135a8059/tumblr_p882evPSNV1u0xk60o1_540.gif[IMG]

full metal panic IV ep 4 HOLD UP FRIENDS WHERE IS EPISODE 5

darling ep 17 wow they really held hands in this episode
    Last edited by bals; 2018-05-13 at 05:57 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    For me, I was too dumb for SSY, and I'm fine with that. It was a 8 at most for me. I know that's it's a quality anime, just not for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schirmy View Post
    Try this: objective versus subjective.
    Even viewing it subjectively, it still doesn't make sense. Ok, I was being a little intentionally reductive but I do feel that rating systems, especially the 10/10 system are grossly misused. Maybe something with that kind of rating doesn't have to be perfect, but it should still be the absolutely best example of it's given medium and/or genre. Let's look at the person above. They list eight different things as being 10/10. That's insane. Now, I do not know how much anime said person has seen, but I know I have seen a ton. Many would say too much. There is only one series I would even consider scoring like that and only then with the caveat that it still isn't perfect, just what I consider to be the best example I have yet to watch of using the medium of anime to it's fullest potential in a unique way and influential.

Scoring and rating systems need to have a universal context. If every separate person just desired what they mean to them and scored things accordingly, that would make them meaningless. Thankfully, on most ratings aggregating sites there are enough people at each end of the "idiot spectrum" that rate anything they like as a 10 and anything they didn't like as a 1 to offset each other, but when looking at a single person's rating, especially one with little to no description or explanation, a 10/10 rating is entirely useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Chelly View Post
    There is no such thing as a 5/10. That is an average score and average media (anime or otherwise) doesn't exist. Cannot exist.

There is no such thing as a 1/10. That is a shit score and shit media (anime or otherwise) doesn't exist... wait nevermind.
    Of course an average score can exist. It's the average. I do agree that a 1/10 is just as useless as I have yet to find any piece of media, no matter how much I personally disliked it, that was entirely without value. Well, outside of some people 10/10 reviews for things that is...

stop trying to be such an edgelord

10+ Year Old Account
    10/10 doesn't mean perfect. Nothing is perfect, whether it be an anime, another TV show, a game, even people. MAL describes it as "masterpiece", though I don't know if I would necessarily call it that. Everyone has their idea of what a "10/10" is, in the same way everyone has their own tastes and everything else. Is it even possible for me to explain mine? Maybe.

Three Leaves, Three Colors:Other shows have come close, but so far no other show has made me laugh as much as this one. There's something about the timing and sarcasm in the lines (yes, the dub, trust me) that gives a type of humor I haven't found in any other show. Isn't this just a cute, well-animated-by-Doga-Kobo girls doing things show? Not to me. Comedy is my most-watched genre, and this one has done pure comedy the best.

Toradora: Something I love in a show is the ability to make me both laugh and cry. For western audiences, I give Scrubs as the example to what that might be. Toradora is the best romantic comedy I've seen, and it blends these things better than any show in its type. The characters mostly make a show like this, and they were always entertaining (except Kitamura, he often just felt...there). So, like Three Leaves Three Colors, it does what it does better than anything else.

A Place Further than the Universe: A lot of what I said about Toradora applies to Sora Yori as well. A heavy character-driven show that makes you laugh and cry, sometimes at the same time. The characters are fantastic, of course. While this doesn't necessarily do what it does better than other shows I've seen, that's mostly because it's kind of a unique show in that it's hard to define. But there's something to be said for a show that still gets me emotional months later by just listening to the music, or even seeing people talk about it.

K-On!: To be honest, this one took awhile. The comedy doesn't hit as well as the other shows on this list. The characters are great, but most took time to grow on me. The subtle story progression sets this apart from a lot of slice of life shows. The emotional moments are few, but hit very hard. It knows how to tell a story and get you invested in it though. So this show doesn't do anything particularly better than other shows, outside of the obvious quality KyoAni animation.

Except the music. The music is the best. So maybe it took a rewatch, but everything clicked in a way I can't explain. Oh well.
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2018-05-13 at 08:11 AM.

Im not one for writing massive posts.

Only 3 anime's get a 10/10 from me.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica
    Zath and Diglett recommended this to me years ago. I hadnt watched anime in awhile and was looking for something start me off. So I went in blind and the anime ruined me.
    I never thought it would get so dark and sad, especially from what i thought was a cutesy Magical girl anime.

Fate/Zero
    Another recommendation from this thread.
    The animation/story/characters had me captivated. The story had so much weight behind it and the fights were amazing. Saber will always be my boy . Iskander is a bro and poor Waver. Gil a shit, fight me.

SSY
    Again another recommendation
    Just a really well put together anime. Mainlined it in one day. Really makes you think, even went and read the book its based on just because i wanted more of that world.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    Even viewing it subjectively, it still doesn't make sense. Ok, I was being a little intentionally reductive but I do feel that rating systems, especially the 10/10 system are grossly misused. Maybe something with that kind of rating doesn't have to be perfect, but it should still be the absolutely best example of it's given medium and/or genre. Let's look at the person above. They list eight different things as being 10/10. That's insane. Now, I do not know how much anime said person has seen, but I know I have seen a ton. Many would say too much. There is only one series I would even consider scoring like that and only then with the caveat that it still isn't perfect, just what I consider to be the best example I have yet to watch of using the medium of anime to it's fullest potential in a unique way and influential.

Scoring and rating systems need to have a universal context. If every separate person just desired what they mean to them and scored things accordingly, that would make them meaningless. Thankfully, on most ratings aggregating sites there are enough people at each end of the "idiot spectrum" that rate anything they like as a 10 and anything they didn't like as a 1 to offset each other, but when looking at a single person's rating, especially one with little to no description or explanation, a 10/10 rating is entirely useless.

Of course an average score can exist. It's the average. I do agree that a 1/10 is just as useless as I have yet to find any piece of media, no matter how much I personally disliked it, that was entirely without value. Well, outside of some people 10/10 reviews for things that is...
    Here's a radical concept you still seem to miss:

- Everyone's interpretation of a show is subjective. "Did I enjoy this? Did I not like this?"
    - Everyone's rating scale is subjective. "A 7 is good for this person; a 7 is average for this person. A 4 and below is trash for this person; a 1,2,3, and 4 all hold different values for this person."
    - Everyone's criteria of how to rate a show is subjective. "Music, plot, character development, etc?"

Given you offer MAL as a means of a metric with its rating scale, I can somehow see your point, albeit borderline asinine and silly. A 10 on MAL is listed as a masterpiece, which, as you know, that word bears varying meaning depending on who is perceiving it. Also, right now, you're looking at ratings with vast descriptions and explanations, stop complaining. You're being difficult for the sake of it and that's my job.

"There is only one series I would even consider scoring like that and only then with the caveat that it still isn't perfect, just what I consider to be the best example I have yet to watch of using the medium of anime to it's fullest potential in a unique way and influential."

God, this sentence pains me to read.
    Last edited by Schirmy; 2018-05-13 at 11:02 AM.

1/10 = Trash, something I'll never watch ever again
    3/10 = Bad show, with numerous faults from technical to story related
    5/10 = What I consider average, has faults and positives, generally too bland to rate higher
    7/10 = A good show, numerous positives and enough going on for me to actively like it and want more
    10/10 = An excellent show, Something about it has caused it to rise up above the average and good, possibly brilliant production and/or writing, design or other. It's good enough that I'd watch it multiple times.

I've watched well over a thousand anime and I've rated 20 of them at 10.

People can fuck off with implying I can't rate something a 10 if I believe it is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    1/10 = Trash, something I'll never watch ever again
    3/10 = Bad show, with numerous faults from technical to story related
    5/10 = What I consider average, has faults and positives, generally too bland to rate higher
    7/10 = A good show, numerous positives and enough going on for me to actively like it and want more
    10/10 = An excellent show, Something about it has caused it to rise up above the average and good, possibly brilliant production and/or writing, design or other. It's good enough that I'd watch it multiple times.

I've watched well over a thousand anime and I've rated 20 of them at 10.

People can fuck off with implying I can't rate something a 10 if I believe it is.
    100/10 Jojo anime
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post

I have 66 shows rated 10, rate things as you enjoy them. I'm not going to take a point away just because of some perfection rating system fantasy. I'm rating for myself not others.

I rate 10's as shows that I don't think it was possible for me to enjoy more than I did, even if changes were made that could have made them better. I try to take into consideration the things like directing, art style, and music. There's also a feel that some shows have, where you just know there's something different and special about a show while you're watching it. So I rate 10's based off those things, my own personal enjoyment, and how likely others may rank their enjoyment as well. For example, I'd never rate Flying Witch a 10/10. I enjoyed it and it's one of my favorite shows, but I know the average person would not think it were anything special. In contrast, Chihayafuru is a show that a lot of people would enjoy a lot if they watched it.

My 10/10's consist of:
    • Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya
    • Hanasaku Iroha
    • Madoka Magica
    • Chihayafuru (both seasons)
    • Shinsekai Yori
    • Kill la Kill
    • Your Lie on April 1st
    • Oregairu s2 + OVA
    • Hibike! Euphonium s1
    • Space Patrol Luluco
    • Owarimonogatari (both seasons)
    • Your Lie in the rest of April

But I know there are shows on this list that many people would never consider a 10 because of their own personal enjoyment. Some of them I would even adjust the scores for if I were doing a group rating with others and we had to agree on a score. Oregairu, Euphonium, Luluco, and even Owari are shows I would consider dropping to 9's for the sake of a group rating. Hanasaku Iroha and SSY, though, are shows that I would vehemently stand by the 10/10 score because you'd be hard-pressed to find shows that could match the experience of watching; they're complete shows with solid stories that build up to virtually perfect endings.

I've taken away 10/10 scores of my own, too, either after rewatching (or attempting to) or after thinking about what could have made things better. Like while I'm typing this, I've decided that Shigatsu wasn't a 10/10 show for me. The pacing and inconsistency of the tone of the show bothered me, and I remember just being mad during an episode or two because Kousei decided to go scuba diving yet again. Steins;Gate was another that dropped from a 10. The opening episodes and the repetitive arc towards the end were torture, and were even worse on the rewatch. TTGL was so good the first time, but pacing towards the beginning and especially during paperwork arc were just plain bad. I've dropped other scores for similar reasons.

On the flip side, I struggle to keep from rating K-On! 10/10 just because I loved it so much. I have a hard time rating SoL shows 10/10, even though it's my favorite genre just because it feels like it would rely too much on my personal enjoyment and ignore what the average watcher might think. I understand it's kind of a stupid system, but I use my scores to gauge a balance between my enjoyment and the likelihood of someone else's if I were to make a blanket suggestion.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    I'm not Joe, but I'm more or less in the same boat. For me, I can clearly recognize that it's a great show - with the plot, Squealer , etc. - but it didn't click with me... I assume that's due to getting the ending spoiled for me when I was half way through the show.
    Having that ending spoiled should be a crime. I can understand the impact of the show being considerably lower if your first time is ruined. I've rewatched it several times, though, and it feels like it gets better when rewatching because there are so many little details you pick up on you likely missed before. You're also not trying to sponge everything up, so you can focus on the nuance of the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Because if you check myanimelist even, everything I've watched up to this point has been purely entertainment shows.

SSY is the first one really to go beyond that.
    I completely understand that. The opposite happened to me with a few shows. I liked the drama shows so much that when I watched K-On! I couldn't believe I enjoyed it as much as I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Pejo View Post
    For me, I was too dumb for SSY, and I'm fine with that. It was a 8 at most for me. I know that's it's a quality anime, just not for me.
    Stop watching shounenshitEverybody has their preferences. Like I understand BNHA is a great show, but shounen isn't my thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Schirmy View Post
    Here's a radical concept you still seem to miss:

- Everyone's interpretation of a show is subjective. "Did I enjoy this? Did I not like this?"
    - Everyone's rating scale is subjective. "A 7 is good for this person; a 7 is average for this person. A 4 and below is trash for this person; a 1,2,3, and 4 all hold different values for this person."
    - Everyone's criteria of how to rate a show is subjective. "Music, plot, character development, etc?"
    Great examples of subjectivity, allow me to help:

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    Jojo's is objectively shit.
    Last edited by Sj; 2018-05-13 at 05:27 PM. Reason: fixed

10+ Year Old Account
    You said Your lie in April twice btw.
    Anilist
    #PraiseforKyoAni

Quote Originally Posted by Millhi View Post
    It deserves to be listed twice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually, as I thought about it, SSY deserves a 10 solely for that ED. Fuck, that was good.

As for rating anime 10s, I gave those out like I gave out my virginity - just hoping something will be appreciative then it'll have been worth it. Iusually give my score based on how muchit took my attention - if I drop everything for it, 10!

Akame Ga Kill, Boku no Hero S2, Dan Machi, Grimgar, Haikyuu, Kobayashi, Koi to Uso, Konosuba, Kuzu no Honkai, Nisekoi, NGNL, SAO, Tsugi ga Kirei

Basically garbage that should have my anime watching rights removed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by crimson View Post
    Quoted for truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Millhi View Post
    Fixed

Quote Originally Posted by crimson View Post
    I still have it at a 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Pejo View Post
    Actually, as I thought about it, SSY deserves a 10 solely for that ED. Fuck, that was good.

As for rating anime 10s, I gave those out like I gave out my virginity - just hoping something will be appreciative then it'll have been worth it. Iusually give my score based on how muchit took my attention - if I drop everything for it, 10!

Akame Ga Kill, Boku no Hero S2, Dan Machi, Grimgar, Haikyuu, Kobayashi, Koi to Uso, Konosuba, Kuzu no Honkai, Nisekoi, NGNL, SAO, Tsugi ga Kirei

Basically garbage that should have my anime watching rights removed.
    Your comment about the ED being 10/10 balances out your shit taste. For real, though, handing out 10's easily just seems to diminish the meaningfulness to me. Like, I really, really liked Nisekoi, but there's no way I could rank it up there with something like Madoka or SSY. 10/10 is basically "it doesn't get any better than this."