Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Affliction communication gaps

I wanted to post a quick timeline to demonstrate the lack of communication for affliction since mid-Legion. The design team might not realize it, but the last time they provided a blue post specifically referencing affliction was way back on 4/20/2017:

*blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/1058954-affliction-mg-changes-some-transparency/*

The design team then participated in a reddit AMA on 6/23/2017, however none of their responses referenced affliction beyond a single-sentence response about targeting totems in PVP:

*wowhead.com/news=266435/all-the-developer-responses-to-the-warcraft-class-design-reddit-ama#warlock*

We’re now into beta testing for BfA without a single blue post for affliction, despite being the topic of one of the larger strings in the class design forum(289 responses). We’ve also received some fairly large changes(removal of drain gameplay in particular), and still have a “coming soon” talent as of the latest beta build.

I’m hoping that someone on the design team will take this into consideration, and provide some sort of communication regarding the current state of affliction design. Are they happy with affliction gameplay so far? Are more significant changes in the pipeline? Do they have any ideas they’re testing internally for the missing talent? Etc. Even a simple response stating that a more comprehensive blog post is in the works would be tremendously appreciated.

- - - Updated - - -

Would someone mind posting this on the official forums under the warlock class section? I’m unable to post since I’m unsunscribed(taking a break before BfA). Thanks!

Deleted
    Their last communication was very clear, "no king rules forever," and they are delivering on that promise 110% in BfA.

Shitters whined enough to where they're likely going to gut affliction. That's just life. I'd be shocked if aff wasn't a bottom tier spec all of BFA.

I'll post this on the beta boards.

Affliction has nothing to gut on live, it's already unbearable. The design has no depth beyond maintaining DoTs, and no spell feels satisfying to cast due to unimpressive animations. It just happens to be overtuned.

Soul Flame removal is the worst. Total bore of a spec now.

Aff is right where it needs to be and should have been before. You all are just mad it isn't OP anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldfire989 View Post
    Aff is right where it needs to be and should have been before. You all are just mad it isn't OP anymore.
    Nah, I couldn't care less about being OP, it just feels pretty dull right now. Some of the Azerite stuff will add a bit of dynamics potentially, and we'll see what the missing talent is, but there's just not much to it at present. DoTs > UA > spam SB > refresh UA > spam SB > refresh DoTs > repeat. Throw in an extra UA if you're filling up on shards. /sleep
    Last edited by JJShadoe; 2018-05-13 at 09:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Styxz View Post
    I'll post this on the beta boards.
    Appreciate it! Hoping to get a beta key at some point

- - - Updated - - -

Appreciate the feedback, but it has nothing to do w/ DPS performance(but I agree drain was wayyy to good haha). It’s all about th lack of communication, especially if the blues don’t realize that they haven’t spoken on affliction in quite a long time.

A user on the official beta forums said “what about Ion’s no king rules forever comment”... Lol no

If you played this game a while you know Aff is always OP in the last tier due to stat inflation; particularly secondary stats. It'll likely be strong in 8.3.5 as well. The numbers are not the issue going into BFA (and they weren't going into Legion either).

Quote Originally Posted by Styxz View Post
    If you played this game a while you know Aff is always OP in the last tier due to stat inflation; particularly secondary stats. It'll likely be strong in 8.3.5 as well. The numbers are not the issue going into BFA (and they weren't going into Legion either).
    Plus it’s ok if affliction is just average on ST. Multi dot should be our niche, with ok performance on other fights. One spec shouldn’t be the best at everything.

I’m sure tuning will be on of the last stages of beta, so still a long way to go until we can evaluate #’s

affli isn't the only spec where they're not talking much about it in bfa though. they haven't said a single sentence about shadow priests (correct me I'm wrong btw).
    the fact they didn't talk about affli in legion is pretty obvious: the spec was fine, and it remained fine.
    now in bfa, that's a whole other story. I would expect stuff to be posted about the specs they haven't talked about by tuesday.

I've been playing mostly affliction on alpha / beta. I've been asked by a few other warlocks why lol - as if everyone knows it's the pits. A few non-warlocks have made similar comments. In a few dungeons I've been asked to switch to demo lol (a function of the class balancing not being done yet.... and as is often the case a redesigned spec initially shines). Affliction is not in the best place (not in the worst place either compared to some other classes) - it does feel more like a multi-target/multi-dot spec than legion.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuba View Post
    affli isn't the only spec where they're not talking much about it in bfa though. they haven't said a single sentence about shadow priests (correct me I'm wrong btw).
    the fact they didn't talk about affli in legion is pretty obvious: the spec was fine, and it remained fine.
    now in bfa, that's a whole other story. I would expect stuff to be posted about the specs they haven't talked about by tuesday.
    Hopefully they’re just planning on releasing a bunch of blogs for each class similar to pre-Legion. However, that was when they were reworking each class/spec, so not sure if they feel the need for blogs this time around

7+ Year Old Account
    There are rumors that a swath of aff changes (As well as shadow priest) coming VerySoonTM
    Don't be like haunt guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Terryn View Post
    There are rumors that a swath of aff changes (As well as shadow priest) coming VerySoonTM
    It might not be a blue post, but a reply from Terryn is the next best thing haha. Thanks man!!

Deleted
    You better be right.

Sign my petition to bring back Soulburn and Soulburn:Haunt

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edgary View Post
    Sign my petition to bring back Soulburn and Soulburn:Haunt
    Do you know whats more engaging than one maintenance buff?

Two maintenance buffs.
    Don't be like haunt guy.

Deleted
    Do you know whats more engaging than one maintenance buff?

Two maintenance buffs.
    You know Soulburn:Haunt is the one maintenance buff in the game that I loved. Why? The awesome soul swirl animation.