Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Are there good reasons to level alts in BFA?

My main is Alliance, but I always level a horde character to see the story from both sides. I normally keep my alts few, but during Legion I leveled all classes to 110 to see the Order hall campaigns, get all artifacts, get all class mounts, and do the mage tower quests. Playing 1 main and 11 alts was sometimes fun and sometimes boring, but thankfully I'm done with them and now focus only on my main until BFA. I'm trying to think now which alts I want to play in BFA.

Last edited by Snorri; 2018-05-14 at 03:26 PM.

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    PvP role diversity, same for PvE, to try something else, and hey: for fun.

Only reason why I bothered with alts is in my sig.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Not really. Class specific content isn’t something they’re doing in BfA.

I guess if you’re into FotM PvP and PvE then you might want everyone and everything geared and leveled? I personally don’t care about that sort of thing.

I’ll still level all 12 classes, but mostly just so that it’s easier to get them to 130 when the next expansion comes out.

As much as I hated Legion as an expansion, I’ve really enjoyed managing my 12 primary characters and gearing them for the Mage Tower during the content drought.

If you’re wanting to avoid burn out I’d say level one class of every armor type split across both factions for transmog and call it a day.

For me it's just to see the story. So at least a horde and an alliance character. If races/classes have a different story, I am willing to level them too.

I have alts for professions, that way I can be self-sufficient. And usually 1 on each faction for the story.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    You just need two (Horde and Alliance) chars to experience whole content. However, I'll still level 12 to 120 eventually... for Legion stuff - to finish off Artifact skins collection (Balance of Power is kinda waste of time on 110, same with HC Kil'jaeden, don't have time in WoW to do 10 rated battlegrounds right now etc.) and of course grab transmog from Legion (I loved Antorus set of most classes).

It will be way much fun, for the first time I'll have chance to level them in more relaxed environment (all this years I was on PVP server - more fun for main, not so much for alts).

Quote Originally Posted by Snorri View Post
    My main is Alliance, but I always level a horde character to see the story from both sides. I normally keep my alts few, but during Legion I leveled all classes to 110 to see the Order hall campaigns, get all artifacts, get all class mounts, and do the mage tower quests. Playing 1 main and 11 alts was sometimes fun and sometimes boring, but thankfully I'm done with them and now focus only on my main until BFA. I'm trying to think now which alts I want to play in BFA.

More chars to farm mounts / Legion mythic raids for mounts. So its worth.
    Never underestimate the unknown, or some shit. *shrugs i unno*

The same reasons for every expansion usually still apply. The story, variety in class, just wanting to try something new etc etc.
    Personally I level up alts so I can have multiples of the same profession or 1 for every money making profession. I don't worry about progression, I just focus on supplying those who do with all the raid consumables. The opening markets of the expansion don't last forever, so it's nice to make a ton of gold on the front end then jump into dungeons/raids etc when everyone has gotten their wipes to silly mechanics out of the way.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

It's definetly gonna be worth it lvling up 1 alliance and 1 horde character. But yeah, there's isn't any class/race-specific Content, nor is the Mission table as op in WoD

Quote Originally Posted by thilicen View Post
    PvP role diversity, same for PvE, to try something else, and hey: for fun.
    levelling alts
    fun

holy fucking shit what the fuck

I get that playing an alt at max level can be fun

but levelling

the fuck

We honestly don't know yet. The expansion isn't out yet, and these people commenting don't even really know.

They're providing you with largely irrelevant reasons, or uninformed ones, that don't fully reflect what BFA is and its full scope of content.

Quote Originally Posted by Tock20 View Post
    I have alts for professions, that way I can be self-sufficient.
    People still do professions? :P jk

Quote Originally Posted by torish View Post
    As like in every expac, leveling alts will be a pain at start, and easy at end.

As i mainly levelup chars, i had the idea to unsub short after start to return in the final patch. And to level all my chars then. Did that in legion already, was way more fun than at start of the expac.
    I often wish Blizzard would counter this by giving alts an XP boost when you hit max level on a main. Something like:

1 Max Level Character: +15% XP on alts 110-120.
    2 Max Level Character: +20% XP on alts 110-120.
    3 Max Level Character: +25% XP on alts 110-120.

And this bonus could filter down also.

1 Max Level Character: +25% XP on alts 1-110 (Stacks with heirlooms).

And so forth. My % values are off. But the general idea I feel is sound. It would allow players to feel they're not punished for wanting to play alts. They'll get a boost and the more alts they level to max level, the easier it becomes to create brand new ones.

The problem is I fear Blizzard know players come back in the quiet months to level alts. And that keeps their sub numbers good during the lean months. And they also like selling boosts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar Ragnarsson View Post
    levelling alts
    fun

but levelling

the fuck
    I'm enjoying leveling all my allied races.

I skipped Cata, so going back through the revamped zones and actually taking the time to see the stories now that dungeon leveling isn't the insta-win button it used to be is actually quite fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar Ragnarsson View Post
    levelling alts
    fun

but levelling

the fuck
    Check my sig. I've leveled A LOT of alts.

I'll tell you truthfully: If you haven't been to some of the leveling zones in awhile, the new scaling of 7.3.5 does allow you to pick a different level-up path about 2-3 times before you really start repeating content. It CAN be a lot of fun as a nostalgia trip. Throw in a class you haven't played before(or played in a long time) and it's even better.

Having said that, however, it DOES get tedious after about 3-4 characters. Even using some of the faster, corner-cutting methods, it gets old. Leveling up should not take the 50+ hours to reach 110 that it does now using regular questing/dungeons. And even more with BfA being tacked on the end and a higher level cap.

10+ Year Old Account
    I might level a zandalari for that sweet racial armor, but knowing me I'll promptly abandon him as soon as I hit max level and go back to my main.

7+ Year Old Account
    The same reasons there has always been to level ALTs:

Learning/Knowing other classes
    Having a diverse roaster to choose from
    Professions
    Trying different roles

Newly added is heritage armor, I truly hope they release a set for future and old races.

Honestly, I hope the only "incentive" to roll alts is experiencing a different class.

After two expansions of leveling alts purely for mission table gold, I'm over it.

Professions, maybe. One for the other faction. Depending on your gameplay preferences another couple.