Thread: [Spoilers] Yrel

Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloriandus View Post
    I'd like to see some interaction with my character as the Highlord of the Silver Hand and Yrel's fanatics. Maybe a solo scenario where I show up and lay the smack down and bring at least some of them back around.
    The Silver Hand is primarily an Alliance organization, and it should go back to being that. I doubt they'd have too many issues converting Horde-aligned orcs.

Sure. I'll buy it. The Light can go all evil in its work for complete order. But dammit, why didn't we get to see AU Grom killed? Why does HE get off scottfree, of alllll the orcs!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyattbw09 View Post
    Can't wait too see the howls of outrage from the Alliance when her apparent new role as murderess religious fanatic in BfA starts to become widely known.
    Well its unexpected I give them that... I actually liked Yrel, I honestly think she was one of the better things to come out of WoD (one of very few things)

I am actually quite excited as an Alliance player and Yrel fan to see where this goes
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

10+ Year Old Account
    Ugh this reeks of some early to mid 2000s short story by that kid in the corner listening to my chemical romance. hundreds of years of no issues, and all of a sudden some cray cray stuff and we are supposed to feel bad for the people who went full demon horde without the demons?

All of this sudden animeish "everything is secretly bad, only us protagonists know whats up" is coming so sudden to the point of hilarity. That person who helped you save a burning town is off to go run over orphans in a truck.

10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunner45 View Post
    why would the highlord do that? the naaru are telling her to do this, I am sure if they told, the silver most of them would do the same thing
    People are forgetting that Yrel is doing this against Orcs specifically (who are totally going to join the Horde in their fight against the Alliance) and that Orcs are even allowed to "join her" as long they submit to the Naaru's will. If Turalyon may have had a few doubts about the whole thing in Legion, he's surely not going to have any now that such a humongous war is raging between the factions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyblader View Post
    It's a general rule though that if you play horde you are a bad person irl. It's just a scientific fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    The game didn't give me any good reason to hate the horde. Forums did that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Ugh this reeks of some early to mid 2000s short story by that kid in the corner listening to my chemical romance. hundreds of years of no issues, and all of a sudden some cray cray stuff and we are supposed to feel bad for the people who went full demon horde without the demons?

All of this sudden animeish "everything is secretly bad, only us protagonists know whats up" is coming so sudden to the point of hilarity. That person who helped you save a burning town is off to go run over orphans in a truck.
    I don't know whats supposed to be weird about story of religious fanatics behaving like religious fanatics.

Frankly wow should adopt more of a GoThrones style of using characters.

Have various characters that can wildly differ from one another, and dont be afraid to kill them off if that will make an interesting twist or plot point.

I have listened to the names of thrall, jaina, sylvanas and similar for almost 2 decades... it really is time to toss them out in a spectacular way and introduce something new.

Deleted
    Funny you're pointing fingers at the alliance lol

This is actually the best thing that ever came out of AU Draenor. Seeing how Xe'ra-esque light fanatics reminds me of Scarlet Crusade, but even more dangerous with an actual Naaru behind them. I'd love to fight the self-claimed good guys forged in Light as an Azerothian.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthiasLehner View Post
    This is actually the best thing that ever came out of AU Draenor. Seeing how Xe'ra-esque light fanatics reminds me of Scarlet Crusade, but even more dangerous with an actual Naaru behind them. I'd love to fight the self-claimed good guys forged in Light as an Azerothian.
    Theres a weird and twisted outlook on it all. So we know that originally, the concept of the race were they were seekers of knowledge, not really bound to the light on Argus, but just seekers of knowledge.
    When some of them were offered knowledge and power by Sargeras, most of them took it, and accepted it willingly without hesitation or doubt about what it would do to them.
    Velen of course was the one of he three leaders who saw what this would mean in the future, and lead his own followers off from the majority of those who followed sargeras.

We know the rest, but what this here sets up is pretty scary outlook for the draenei themselves, since everything they have done has been as Velen looking at the best possible outcome for his people. This is likely why the draenei under Yrel didn't have any hesitation to becoming lightbound fanatics, willingly taking up power like that, and forcing it on other. Same goes for the light forged draenei who didn't have velen with them, they willingly let the narru bind the light to them.

Seems like the draenei just follow whatever fanatical system of belief is present, and the only one whos kept his people from going down a stupid, fanatical path has been Velen, which is how they ended up in the alliance now, and people that giving them more of a grounded, other races in charge of things, then just having the narru telling them.

Either way, the draenei are pretty screwed without someone like velen around. Maybe the light forged (thats light forged, not light bound) only just stopped themselves from becoming that way because all attention was on the legion, before they joined the alliance.
    #boycottchina

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Theres a weird and twisted outlook on it all. So we know that originally, the concept of the race were they were seekers of knowledge, not really bound to the light on Argus, but just seekers of knowledge.
    When some of them were offered knowledge and power by Sargeras, most of them took it, and accepted it willingly without hesitation or doubt about what it would do to them.
    Velen of course was the one of he three leaders who saw what this would mean in the future, and lead his own followers off from the majority of those who followed sargeras.

We know the rest, but what this here sets up is pretty scary outlook for the draenei themselves, since everything they have done has been as Velen looking at the best possible outcome for his people. This is likely why the draenei under Yrel didn't have any hesitation to becoming lightbound fanatics, willingly taking up power like that, and forcing it on other. Same goes for the light forged draenei who didn't have velen with them, they willingly let the narru bind the light to them.

Seems like the draenei just follow whatever fanatical system of belief is present, and the only one whos kept his people from going down a stupid, fanatical path has been Velen, which is how they ended up in the alliance now, and people that giving them more of a grounded, other races in charge of things, then just having the narru telling them.

Either way, the draenei are pretty screwed without someone like velen around. Maybe the light forged (thats light forged, not light bound) only just stopped themselves from becoming that way because all attention was on the legion, before they joined the alliance.

I agree with you about the Lightforged Draenei. As you said the main reason they didn't go full fanatic mode like the AU ones because they were busy with the threat of the Legion. Under different circumstances they might end up exactly like the AU ones that under Yrel's command.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Velshin View Post
    I agree with you about the Lightforged Draenei. As you said the main reason they didn't go full fanatic mode like the AU ones because they were busy with the threat of the Legion. Under different circumstances they might end up exactly like the AU ones that under Yrel's command.
    yet I think thats been dodged by their integration into the alliance. The lightbound were out in the wild with only yrel and the narru pushing them on, where as the light forged now live among other races as part of something separate from the narru.

I guess all this really shows is the draenei are not flawless as they first came across, but are just as easily lead by bad leaders just like every other race.

Also that it doesn't matter if its following one side of the spectrum or the other on the universe power system in warcraft, any side can become dangerous and corrupt, even the sides originally assumed as 'good'.

in a funny way the light was the last thing on the board here to be shown as having other intentions besides altruistic ones. We've now seen how any source of magic here can be used for good or bad regardless, and just because there are entities in those spectrums that use it for evil doesn't make the magic itself evil, just those using it.

Life and death, order and chaos, light and darkness, there all things that exist and need to exist, since theres a universal balance to each needing the other to function. And if you removed the representatives of those fundamental forces, like the narru, the void lords, the wild gods, the titans, the legion, the undead, these concepts would still exist, just no longer controlled by those with bad intentions.
    Last edited by Trassk; 2018-05-15 at 08:11 PM.
    #boycottchina

I don't know, I liked Yrel in WoD, but I am totally fine with this! It was completely unexpected, and brings in more possible questlines for the future, so color me excited!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulkhan View Post
    People are forgetting that Yrel is doing this against Orcs specifically (who are totally going to join the Horde in their fight against the Alliance) and that Orcs are even allowed to "join her" as long they submit to the Naaru's will. If Turalyon may have had a few doubts about the whole thing in Legion, he's surely not going to have any now that such a humongous war is raging between the factions.
    Don't forget that she is kinda right. The orcish culture is highly toxic and needs to be unlearned. Over the entire course of the orcish lore, orcish culture always encouraged genocide, cruelty and conquest. They have no consistent code of morals or honor, for an Orc honor means everything that he can talk about to glorify himself. The toxicity and cruelty of orcish culture lead to one draenei Genocide, another attemplted draenei suicide and multiple invasions against a world that has never ever harmed a single Orc of their world.

There is no way that orcish culture should have any right to exist. all it does is to teach little orcish children how to be genocidal sadists.

Quote Originally Posted by M-Ra View Post
    Don't forget that she is kinda right. The orcish culture is highly toxic and needs to be unlearned. Over the entire course of the orcish lore, orcish culture always encouraged genocide, cruelty and conquest. They have no consistent code of morals or honor, for an Orc honor means everything that he can talk about to glorify himself. The toxicity and cruelty of orcish culture lead to one draenei Genocide, another attemplted draenei suicide and multiple invasions against a world that has never ever harmed a single Orc of their world.

There is no way that orcish culture should have any right to exist. all it does is to teach little orcish children how to be genocidal sadists.
    While Orcs culture needs to change so does the Draenei one, orcs are too focused on honor and their ancestors, while Draenei are too focused on the light and the Naaru making both races easy to manipulate.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Combatbulter View Post
    While Orcs culture needs to change so does the Draenei one, orcs are too focused on honor and their ancestors, while Draenei are too focused on the light and the Naaru making both races easy to manipulate.
    There is one difference:
    What have the Draenei ever done so evil, outside of fighting those Orcs that refuse to give up the culture that lead them into trying to genocide the Draenei?

And no, Orcs are not focused on their honor. They are focused on their personal ego and glory. The orcish culture is one entirely build on manchildren bragging about "MUH HONOR".
    Even Saurfang is a child murderer who fled punishment for his crimes all of his life, like a dirty little coward, while bragging about his honor.

There is one difference:
    What have the Draenei ever done so evil, outside of fighting those Orcs that refuse to give up the culture that lead them into trying to genocide the Draenei?
    Their blind trust in the naaru and their absolute inaction over their 25.000 years of running from the legion, not once have they ever tried to make a difference only caring for themselves and their survival resulting in the destruction of quite a few worlds, which if the draenei had bothered to teach the populations of these worlds might have given them a fighting chance or at least given them the ability to escape through portals.

Even after they were cornered on Draenor they pretty much sat on their hands for 300 years not preparing for the legion assault, transforming the planet in a fortress, instead they build their small cities lived peaceful everyday lives and again went into full seclusion mode, which was later exploited by Kil'jaeden and as result they were utterly crushed.

And no, Orcs are not focused on their honor. They are focused on their personal ego and glory. The orcish culture is one entirely build on manchildren bragging about "MUH HONOR".
    Even Saurfang is a child murderer who fled punishment for his crimes all of his life, like a dirty little coward, while bragging about his honor.
    Honor is subjective

Honor of humans is vastly different to that of Orcs for example.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Combatbulter View Post
    Their blind trust in the naaru and their absolute inaction over their 25.000 years of running from the legion, not once have they ever tried to make a difference only caring for themselves and their survival resulting in the destruction of quite a few worlds, which if the draenei had bothered to teach the populations of these worlds might have given them a fighting chance or at least given them the ability to escape through portals.

Even after they were cornered on Draenor they pretty much sat on their hands for 300 years not preparing for the legion assault, transforming the planet in a fortress, instead they build their small cities lived peaceful everyday livees and went again into full seclusion mode, which was later exploited by Kil'jaeden and they were as a result utterly crushed.

Honor is subjective

Honor of humans is vastly different to that of Orcs for example.
    Victim Blaming is no argument. The Draenei have done nothing wrong. Every single Orc hat the freedom not to attack a single Draenei and not to drink the blood. The guilt lies solely with the Orcs, their religion and their culture.

Victim Blaming is no argument. The Draenei have done nothing wrong. Every single Orc hat the freedom not to attack a single Draenei and not to drink the blood. The guilt lies solely with the Orcs, their religion and their culture.
    The draenei did not nothing wrong the draenei did literally nothing, they knew the legion was coming, they have always known, but they never bothered to prepare any of the races, whose planets they landed upon. They basically pulled a Gilneas on a cosmic scale looking on as people were slaughtered in front of their eyes, despite having had the opportunity to help them to at least run away on their own, to save their people from extinction, but they never did.

And the worst of it all is Draenor itself, they knew they couldn't run anymore, but they come to the logical conclusion lol lets not create a strong military, lets not draft every single member into the military, because we know the legion will find us because they always have, no lets just sit here build some nice houses and bake bread and not try to prepare ourselves so that we might be able to defend ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by KrakHed View Post
    Lots of people take this scenario to imply "The Light is just as bad as the Void". And they're absolutely right. The Light is Evil. And the Light is Good. The Light is Light. It is what it is when it is what it is.
    I understand your mindset and agree.

However.

I, personally, due to the examples Blizzard has presented in the last 10+ years, believe that Blizzard does not have talented enough writers OR do not possess the desire to write a decent story IN the game. So in the game itself I feel they're going to strive for the Demo Man's ending: "You get a little bit dirty, and you get a WHOLE lot cleaner." Meaning we're basically going to be squabbling amongst ourselves over one extreme or the other AND the fact the other people wear a different color do-rag.