Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by egeszsegere View Post

i dont know what i expected.. maybe that they had kept teldrassil as it was, but with smoke and fire everywhere and everything to be charred and dead.
    i certainly dont like what theyve done with it.

one thing ive always loved about wow, is that whatever i see in the distance, i can always get up close to it.. unlike this cardboard tree, and the design of argus backgrounds aswell.
    yes lets have blizzard spend thousands of hours to make a flaming tree model that looks HORRIBLE up close or HORRIBLE at a distance just so people can go to it.
    or they can make AN AMAZING looking model like they have now and just understand why would you want to go up to a burning tree...
    the 2d model looks a million times more amazing then any 3d model they could have made in the same amount of time.
    you can speed up how fast you make models by making them good for looking at a distance ,or up close, but to make one that looks good from both takes ALOT of work, and well would you rather that? or they work on actual new content?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Checkt View Post
    Being critical doesn't equate telling someone what a tree they designed in a game world they created doesn't look like it actually should, now does it?

Surely you're not just a pompous ass and understand the difference between critical and assumed expertise over something.

except it literally looked NOTHING like it was supposed to... simply because its such an old model and they could in no way make the model look anything like it was supposed to.
    instead we got this

- - - Updated - - -

imo its cool to fly around brill and undercity and look at the aftermath and devastation of the war.
    teldrassil is just a painting, that looks nice from the right angle (it looks pretty weird if you look at it from an unintended angle). and it looks nothing like what it used to look like.
    yes but those are not literally city sized trees completly on fire...
    do you even understand the weeks if not months to make a whole burning tree model, and to make it able to be walked around on?
    or the top quality computer you would need to literally stand in a city of NOTHING but 50 feet high flame particle effects

- - - Updated - - -

NEW teldrassil from a bad angle vs old teldrassil from roughly the same angle and distance
    -
    -
    yeah one looks like a dying tree, the other is a stump with trees on it.

Deleted
    i do agree that teldrassil did need a graphical upgrade that made it look more like a big tree.
    all of kalimdor and EK could use another "cataclysm", but if they gonna turn everything into pretty 2D paintings, i prefer it as it is!

"Hurr I wanna be able to touch EVERYTHING we see in this gaem!!!"...

Yeah, sorry, I'll take them filling background that's not meant to be reached, with amazing backdrops that really bring life. Like GW2 does.
    The backdrop to Argus was not exactly put in place as a substitute for actual areas.

Quote Originally Posted by THEORACLE64 View Post

Even this just shows how much they can actually make it look like a tree if they wanted to. Literally dumping ground in that with the starting area wouldn't have been impossible (these days). Just hoping if we actually get a full world revamp again the druids in that time will have healed/regrown Teldrassil by then, and then we can actually have a tree that looks like a tree.
    i dont think you know how model trickery goes, they spoke about this during WoD for the WoD feature cinematic they didnt have ANY of the warlord models so they literally got normal orc models and did fucky things to them to make them look likethe actual warlords, like literally spawning a wolf head in.

That is simply a tree model allready in game, with a fuck ton of effects put in, and simply moved forward to make it look much larger then it really is.
    that is not a literal teldrassil sized model that they made and covered in fire effects then said "fuck it" that is literally just a normal sized tree they put close so it LOOKS like its far away and huge.

I am not going to look through all like 1000 tree models, but something like this could just be with abit of editing changed into that...

- - - Updated - - -

i do agree that teldrassil did need a graphical upgrade that made it look more like a big tree.
    all of kalimdor and EK could use another "cataclysm", but if they gonna turn everything into pretty 2D paintings, i prefer it as it is!
    if we arnt going to visit something why waste hundreds to thousands of man hours on making a huge ass fucking model for it?
    when its much easier and looks much better to make a painting of it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SensationalBanana View Post
    "Hurr I wanna be able to touch EVERYTHING we see in this gaem!!!"...

Yeah, sorry, I'll take them filling background that's not meant to be reached, with amazing backdrops that really bring life. Like GW2 does.
    The backdrop to Argus was not exactly put in place as a substitute for actual areas.
    "hurr i want everything to look pwettyyy, i dont care if i cant interact with anything, as long as its pewettyyyy, huuurrrr"

i can make others opinions sound stupid to!

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    i dont think you know how model trickery goes, they spoke about this during WoD for the WoD feature cinematic they didnt have ANY of the warlord models so they literally got normal orc models and did fucky things to them to make them look likethe actual warlords, like literally spawning a wolf head in.

That is simply a tree model allready in game, with a fuck ton of effects put in, and simply moved forward to make it look much larger then it really is.
    that is not a literal teldrassil sized model that they made and covered in fire effects then said "fuck it" that is literally just a normal sized tree they put close so it LOOKS like its far away and huge.

I am not going to look through all like 1000 tree models, but something like this could just be with abit of editing changed into that...

- - - Updated - - -

if we arnt going to visit something why waste hundreds to thousands of man hours on making a huge ass fucking model for it?
    when its much easier and looks much better to make a painting of it.
    Of course, but I feel like now if Teldrassil grows its leaves back it'll be more shaped like a tree in comparison to what it has been...

"hurr i want everything to look pwettyyy, i dont care if i cant interact with anything, as long as its pewettyyyy, huuurrrr"

i can make others opinions sound stupid to!
    Literally not what I was saying. I'll explain it again in simpler words so that you may understand: I like it if they make beautiful backdrops for AREAS WE'RE NOT FUCKING MEANT TO GO TO, using the same design as in GW2.
    The problem here is that you're having an opinion on shit that's not meant to be reached.

I'll take them focusing efforts designing content MEANT for us to play on, rather than attempting to please minds such as yours and then never make anything with skyboxes and backdrops.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think at least for now the Skybox of Teldrassil is fine. It's the best way to show the world changing without burning too much resources just to leave the area/zone of Teldrassil there but visitable. It sucks but as a tech tool, it's interesting because IMO in theory Blizzard could make areas from the distance you could see but not visit
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

I think I prefer it that way so Blizz can spend more time working on the new continents and the content they come with, rather than working on an old zone. Cata, anyone?

My biggest gripe with these 2d backdrops is that they aren't detailed. You can clearly see that it isn't part of the world that your character exist in, the invisible wall just reinforces that. For me personally, it breaks immersion a great deal. Even though the old Teldrassil looked ugly and wasn't like the concept art, I could still fly across the ocean and ride to the top of the tree to visit Darnassus. It was a part of the world.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Not lame, it's an effective tool for those with nostalgia in their blood.
    Still doesn't remove the legions of losers farming pumpkins and begging on the docks. That will never go away. That will be there for another 3 expansions.

Deleted
    Came for the player telling the game programmers and artists what their art should look like, found it.
    We have concept art, drawings and other official illustrations. None of them look like a slightly hollowed out tree stump. So take that up with Blizzard themselves and people prefering one of the two options over the other. It's a bit like the advertisement for fastfood and the actual fastfood, except worse.

Deleted
    @SensationalBanana

except from one perfect angle, the tree looks pretty shit tbh.
    id actually be ok with not being able to go there. but instead of just an invisible wall and a fatigue bar, they could make us take damage and have a in-game warning that thick smoke fills our lungs and the intense heat is unbearable! or something like that. and we would simply just die from getting too close.
    on top of that, the tree should be 2-3 times bigger than what it is atm, to better fit the diameter of what it used to have. AND it should be a 3D model, that looks like an actual tree from every angle you look at it.
    Last edited by mmocb8ddf2b91b; 2018-05-16 at 07:35 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shandurp Failermoon View Post
    Still doesn't remove the legions of losers farming pumpkins and begging on the docks. That will never go away. That will be there for another 3 expansions.
    You don't really know that it will stay that way.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    You are absolutely correct. They can do anything - they actually did made Teldrassil into a stump.

It's the playerbase's right to criticize it, too, even if they have no obligation to play the game. No one is immune to complaints.

The restaurant serves you a dirt sandwich for free - you don't even eat it, yet you are free to complain.
    Right.....except complaining isn't the same as saying that they're wrong about their game. We're finally back to the point we've started. Let me know where you fell off the ride

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shandurp Failermoon View Post
    Yep, you're absolutely right. So let's tell Porsche to turn all their cars into economical, cheap, hatchbacks with 3 cylinder engines, their buyers will TOTALLY stay loyal to the product. After all it's *Their company* not like they have to sell a product to a market with expectations
    If Porsche wants to do that, you're free to NOT LIKE IT but not say IT'S NOT A PORSCHE.

Let me know what confuses you most about this. Also be sure to let me know when you leave this forum to stop complaining about something you don't actively feed money into.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    We have concept art, drawings and other official illustrations. None of them look like a slightly hollowed out tree stump. So take that up with Blizzard themselves and people prefering one of the two options over the other. It's a bit like the advertisement for fastfood and the actual fastfood, except worse.
    It's actually just like a 2% of the community feeling like they're entitled to dictate what the game should and shouldn't be.

Of course, but I feel like now if Teldrassil grows its leaves back it'll be more shaped like a tree in comparison to what it has been...
    grow its leaves back? its fucking dead.
    but yeah it looks like an actual tree now instead of a moss covered stump

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    grow its leaves back? its fucking dead.
    but yeah it looks like an actual tree now instead of a moss covered stump
    Druid's more than likely have the ability. If it was a pile of ash, yeah it would be gone, but it's still there just charcoaled. Druids have more than the capability to restore it.

While I think the skybox is absolutely gorgeous (I haven't just stood there in astonishment from something in game in a very long time), I was disappointed that I couldn't actually get up close.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Right.....except complaining isn't the same as saying that they're wrong about their game. We're finally back to the point we've started. Let me know where you fell off the ride
    No one is saying that Blizzard is wrong about their game. I know criticizing wow triggered you but, as yourself said, it's up to interpretation.

Teldrassil is not a strump, but in WoW, it became a stump - it's nothing like what it was supposed to be.

Maybe try to be less defensive and you'll understand why everyone but you in this thread thinks that Old Teldrassil was not a good representation.

Druid's more than likely have the ability. If it was a pile of ash, yeah it would be gone, but it's still there just charcoaled. Druids have more than the capability to restore it.
    stuff does not become ash instantly it will take along , long time to have it happen.