Poll: Yanny Or Laurel

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    At first I thought I heard Yanny, but now every time I hear Laurel.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruor View Post
    Yeah somethings up... maybe its speaker type? Like I said Laurel headset, Yanny phone. Maybe your speakers and earbuds are very similar?
    2 different computers, regular gaming stereo headset on main desktop, mono speaker on laptop. still Laurel. I suppose they could be similar enough regardless? I could try listening to it on my phone and tablet... for science! :P

tried the phone. still laurel. heh
    Last edited by Witchblade77; 2018-05-16 at 10:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WintersLegion View Post
    That's one of the theories of whats going on I'm 36 and hear Laurel. A friend of mine is 34 and hears Yanny though and that isn't a very big age difference.
    Im 40 and heard Yanny

10+ Year Old Account
    29 and I hear Yanny. Can’t fathom how you’d hear Laurel.

Guys, it's obviously Laurel.

At this point, I can actually focus and hear either one I want. Although it's a lot easier to go from Yanny to Laurel than it is from Laurel to Yanny.

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    I can hear it either way by thinking of either the word Laurel or Yanny while listening.

- - - Updated - - -

People's ears hear different frequencies. Turn the frequency up and down and you'll hear both Yanny and Laurel. Once you've heard it both ways you can then choose to hear it whatever way you want.
    This is now the case for me as well. In the clip from the OP they say the word twice and I canhear yanny then laurel and on a second play through I can hear laurel then yanny by simply thinking about which word I want to hear. The pitch of the voice changes as well. Very interesting.
    Last edited by Altrec; 2018-05-16 at 10:59 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruor View Post
    Um... are people trolling or is this some type of trick? Its Laurel, not even close to Yanny.

- - - Updated - - -

Seriously? Either you are trolling or it says Yanny or Laurel based on your IP or something?
    I swear that's exactly what it sounds to me.

Should have been a "what do you hear," rather than a "which do you hear" question. I can hear laurel in the bass sounds, but I have no idea if I'd actually be able to hear it if I didn't already know it was there.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Laurel.

/10char
    It's definitely laurel. I've seen the waveform broken down in Audacity. There is some harmonic distortion on the high end because it sounds like the voice is being directed into the fan, and if you isolate JUST the harmonic distortion I can kind of see where the "yanny" comes from (it still doesn't sound like yanny to me though, just closer to it). But you'd have to have some seriously shitty speakers to only hear that.

Something like Eeanny.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yanny, followed by "yaurel"

Trying it a few more times, I can focus my hearing either way to yet Yanny Yanny or Laurel Laurel, or even Yanny Laurel
    Last edited by abracmike; 2018-05-17 at 01:04 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    It's not ethical to expose people's faults. Only scumbags and bitches do that.
    The right thing would be to try to stop the behaviour.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    What's wrong with him buying a home? Please don't pry into others' lives and make judgements.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    "I see a red door and..."

Ah crap, I see what you did.
    Eh heh heh heh words

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    I swear that's exactly what it sounds to me.
    Yeah its pretty much based part on your speaker system and part on your hearing type. It is an interesting thing, I honestly thought the Yanny guys were hard trolling at first.

High Overlord
    5+ Year Old Account
    I'm 50 & I hear Laurel.

If i focus on the high pitch Yanny , on the low I can hear Laurel.

CHEAT: speed it up to 2x or slow it to 0.5 it's definitely Laurel , but slowed you can hear a mouse click as he spells the L so it makes it confusing
    Last edited by valax; 2018-05-17 at 02:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    It's definitely laurel. I've seen the waveform broken down in Audacity. There is some harmonic distortion on the high end because it sounds like the voice is being directed into the fan, and if you isolate JUST the harmonic distortion I can kind of see where the "yanny" comes from (it still doesn't sound like yanny to me though, just closer to it). But you'd have to have some seriously shitty speakers to only hear that.
    Yeah I suspect this is a speaker quality thing (in part at least), I can hear both but the Yanny is high pitched and a bit nasal-y and I can only hear Yanny when I'm listening to the recording on my phone, with the phone away from my ear, with no headphones in.

When you hear both it seems pretty clear it's supposed to be Laurel, it's a professional voice and the Yanny sounds like a distortion.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Watch this. It explains it very well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok so pitch is the culprit and maybe I read over some explanations to fast but devices sound that different to produce two (seemingly) conflicting words?

Ive.listened on multiple devices and still hear 'yanny'.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by valax View Post
    If i focus on the high pitch Yanny , on the low I can hear Laurel.

CHEAT: speed it up to 2x or slow it to 0.5 it's definitely Laurel , but slowed you can hear a mouse click as he spells the L so it makes it confusing
    Ive done both...still 'yanny'.

Resident Cosplay Progressive