Page 20 of 34 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by aeuhe4yxzhds View Post
    Well he is not wrong, is he? If you are in america, at least have the decency to speak english. Just like if you are visiting someones home, you follow their rules. Nobody likes someone who walks around and changes things

And America is a good example on why you dont let strangers in. Just ask the ind.... oh wait
    I grew up in New York. You walk anywhere and you hear a ton of languages. To get mad is just stupid. Also we don’t have an official language and like over thirty percent of the city is Latino.

Decency? Sounds like you’re defending a racist with racist thoughts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not directing this at any one particular person since multiple have brought this up:

Aaron Schlossberg is a licensed attorney in the state of New York

Not all states have mandatory bar association membership. About half have mandatory bar, the other half have voltunary bar.
    In the case of voluntary bar, the association does not license attorneys, but the court or some other appointed organization does.
    The twitter feed up-thread from the NYS Bar association (relinked for convenience) mentions this, and on their site, links to the official register for New York (see link above about him being registered). Wikipedia has a decent primer on voluntary vs mandatory state bars as well.

As for this guy? I think he's a total asshole plain and simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    It's not ethical to expose people's faults. Only scumbags and bitches do that.
    The right thing would be to try to stop the behaviour.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    What's wrong with him buying a home? Please don't pry into others' lives and make judgements.

I don’t get racist Jews like this. It’s like they can’t see the ridiculousness of it considering their past.

Quote Originally Posted by Algy View Post
    Would walking up to a very white looking dude speaking English on the street and screaming at him "you arent from here, i am" because he thought he was a "foreigner" or something in that area work for you?
    If it was a very white looking dude, then it wouldnt be about race, it would be about having xenophobia.

Maybe don't speak spanish or other languages to customers unless they're already speaking those languages? Speak English to English speaking customers and co-workers and speak whatever else you want to friends/family and those coming up to you speaking another language.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahlae View Post
    Maybe don't speak spanish or other languages to customers unless they're already speaking those languages? Speak English.
    If you read the article, that's what was happening. A customer ordered in Spanish, and the employee responded in Spanish.

Or, who gives a shit what language some stranger is speaking to another stranger. If such things bother you, then you may have some serious bigotry issues. It's akin to getting outraged that two computer geeks are talking about code they are writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    I grew up in New York. You walk anywhere and you hear a ton of languages. To get mad is just stupid. Also we don’t have an official language and like over thirty percent of the city is Latino.
    I agree, it is very stupid, NYC also receives a lot of tourists so it is expected to hear many different languages. While English isnt an official language, it is the most common in this country, so you should be able to speak it if you want to be able to function with the people who live here.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    This is literally the third video of this guy that we now have that shows his pattern of behavior. He whined about them speaking Spanish, threatened to call ICE on them, so it's clear that it wasn't just about what language they were speaking. he chose to go after Hispanics. He chose to make it about ethnicity and nationality. Once again, this is not the first time he was on film pulling this shit.
    Yet according to the bio on his firm's website, he speaks fluent Spanish (and conversational French) in order to better serve his clients. I mean ... what? Not making excuses for the guy because he was waaaaaay off base with his rant, but clearly he's off his meds or having a breakdown or something. The racism issue aside, that tirade just shows the dude isn't right in the head.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawnseven View Post
    Yet according to the bio on his firm's website, he speaks fluent Spanish (and conversational French) in order to better serve his clients. I mean ... what? Not making excuses for the guy because he was waaaaaay off base with his rant, but clearly he's off his meds or having a breakdown or something. The racism issue aside, that tirade just shows the dude isn't right in the head.
    Yeah, there is something off here.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawnseven View Post
    he's clearly been radicalized in recent years. Now, one can try to attribute it to a mental disorder, or it can be an issue of political propaganda. Either way, he's an ignorant fucktard (I love that word). personally, considering his love of Trump and racist shenanigans, I'm leaning towards the latter. his rants (multiple) stink of perceived entitlement.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    he's clearly been radicalized in recent years. Now, one can try to attribute it to a mental disorder, or it can be an issue of political propaganda. Either way, he's an ignorant fucktard (I love that word). personally, considering his love of Trump and racist shenanigans, I'm leaning towards the latter. his rants (multiple) stink of perceived entitlement.
    Not going to argue with that. If I'm in China/France/Brazil on vacation, or a temporary work assignment or something, and I'm chatting with a co-worker in English when a restaurant employee happens by and asks me, in English, if I'm doing okay or where am I from, etc., and someone not involved in the conversation at all starts screaming that we should be talking in Mandarin/French/Portuguese, then he or she is a getting a big "Fuck you. Mind your own business."

Quote Originally Posted by petej0 View Post
    I agree, it is very stupid, NYC also receives a lot of tourists so it is expected to hear many different languages. While English isnt an official language, it is the most common in this country, so you should be able to speak it if you want to be able to function with the people who live here.
    I guess but if you live in this area you can find enclaves and there are tons of Latinos.

7+ Year Old Account
    Currently 47°, -122° ... Originally 53°, -9°
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Lawyers with shitty ethics don't stay lawyers for very long.

Good lawyers win by using the law to their advantage. Bad lawyers win using unethical tactics that end up fucking everyone over.

Anything you do in public should reflect on anything else you do in public. I wouldn't want to hire someone who was known for going on racist rants in fast-food lines. Imagine how that will look for you next case: You hire this guy, you're preparing to go to court, he goes off while getting a burger at McDonalds, and gets slapped with 30 days jail time for a public disturbance, then he can't make the court appearance, you have to hire a new attorney last-minute.

No, you're just a racist shitbag like this guy.
    Dial your social outrage down from eleven back to about six or seven dude.

I am not saying the lawyer in the video isn't a shitbag, racist or an asshole. Because he is CLEARLY intolerant of people speaking any language other than English. So, on this we can TOTALLY agree. But the guy you were quoting, @Socialhealer, wasn't being racist. Or, for that matter, even defending said video douchebag.

All he did was point out how, as a lawyer in NYC, his tantrum probably will not wind up affecting his career. That's ALL he did. For you to extrapolate he's racist from that is honestly a pretty desperate position.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is there a reason why I should give a fuck? No.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpha View Post
    Is there a reason why I should give a fuck? No.
    Out of curiosity, what on Gen-OT would this not apply to?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahlae View Post
    Maybe don't speak spanish or other languages to customers unless they're already speaking those languages? Speak English to English speaking customers and co-workers and speak whatever else you want to friends/family and those coming up to you speaking another language.
    Did you read the full thing? The customer she spoke too was speaking spanish.
    #boycottchina

Quote Originally Posted by Arikan View Post
    But as pointed out even if there is an official language that is for official government usage and documentation, it is irrelevant to conversational or private workplace language.
    Depends on the workplace. Some workplace have the needs for a common language or things are dangerous. Aviation is a good example of this. Isn't Canada the place that requires signage to be in English and French? Or is that just Quebec?

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Depends on the workplace. Some workplace have the needs for a common language or things are dangerous. Aviation is a good example of this.
    Right but that is mandated by workplace policy of the workplace itself, not dictated by an official national language (unless workplace is a government office in some capacity). It will typically apply to printed materials/signage but not necessarily spoken conversation, especially informal conversation and most especially if a customer in some service workplace begins speaking a different language, which is part of what happened here.

Isn't Canada the place that requires signage to be in English and French? Or is that just Quebec?
    Sort of, it is required in any location in Canada officially designated bilingual. However Canada, unlike the US, does have official national languages, French and English.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Isn't Canada the place that requires signage to be in English and French? Or is that just Quebec?
    Official government stuff has to be available in French and English, but generally, signage is whatever the most common language is; you only really see bilingual signage in bilingual spots like New Brunswick or Ottawa. For the most part, there aren't other regulations.

The exception is Quebec, which has regulations requiring French to be dominant in signage, but that's kind of a knee-jerk reaction IMO.

Looks like someone lost a major case and was being a total ass to make himself feel better.

Salty lawyer tears, yum! I mean crying because people spoke another language, WTF grow up. Wonder what would happen if someone spoke Yiddish in the store.
    Last edited by Hilhen7; 2018-05-17 at 08:28 PM.