Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Matter View Post
    I don't really like social media stuff (I don't have Facebook) and I use a number of different add-ons to control browsing (e.g. uMatrix). While it makes your life a bit more difficult, it's worth it IMHO. I can't just get rid of Windows (I develop for it ) but that doesn't mean we should just accept what is going on with data sharing. I try and keep my data as private as possible. If enough people were up in arms about it then the big companies wouldn't be getting away with it. You would do well to read the article (https://www.schneier.com/blog/archiv...ok_and_ca.html) by Bruce Schneier who is the person who created Two-Fish and Blow-fish. Two very widely used crypto algorithms.

Companies aren't collecting the data for the hell of it. It has real value to them. It can be used to "manipulate" people in terms of sales/advertizing. The whole election "hacking" story was about the Russians using the same tools that big businesses are already using for advertising. Why waste money advertising computer processors to a 90 year old person. That data is extremely valuable and, as we saw in the Facebook/CA story, it's not necessarily aggregated/anonymous data. With cookies, you can track a whole bunch of activity and you only need one place that knows who you are to tie it all to you directly. I keep thinking back to the Benjamin Franklin quote ("Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."). Not the actual meaning by Benjamin Franklin but a variation of the one that people have atributed to the quote over time. Where we give up all of this information about ourselves for some convenience.

I used the word "manipulate" above on purpose because it's possible (I am not saying that it is taking place or even that it will be in the future) to slowly manipulate people if you know enough about them. I might, for example, take a group of people that I know really like puppies and then use that to display "articles/op eds" were puppies are hurt by A and helped by B.

I think people should take things like telemetry seriously but obviously that my feelings on the matter. If everyone kicked up a stink about it then the companies would be forced to limit what they gather. Obviously people can go crazy with this sort of thing too which is also nuts (flip phones, no internet, etc.). I just try to be careful where I can and try to keep a moderate amount of privacy without cutting off my nose to spite my face.
    Of course, after all that, I have a new Ryzen processor sitting on my desk next to me and will need to switch my primary home machine to Windows 10 before I can use it. Decisions, decisions
    Everything keeps track of what you are doing, the little bit of info I send to ms does not matter in the greater scale of data collection, and the algorythms of most of those giant data collectors are flawed as hell in regards to adds and stuff, they can't even get my language right half the time.

check this out from a couple years ago

All it takes is 1 or 2 hugely popular games that run dx12 only to see win10 adoption among gamers soar (imagine half life 3 or similar), the only thing keeping win7 in the game is the lack of dx12 adoption among games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    All it takes is 1 or 2 hugely popular games that run dx12 only to see win10 adoption among gamers soar (imagine half life 3 or similar), the only thing keeping win7 in the game is the lack of dx12 adoption among games.
    Vulkan has had greater success in increasing gaming performance compared to DX12, and Valve is a huge supporter of it. So nah, I don't see anyone except Microsoft exclusively using DX12 in games. Windows 7's death will come from neglect not features only found in Windows 10. Over time new hardware like the Ryzen 2200G/2400G won't work on anything less than Windows 10. By 2020, Microsoft themselves will end their support for it and I really doubt that Microsoft will extend it like they did with Windows XP. At that point you had better be on Windows 10, which is less than two years away.

You will be assimilated. Microsoft will add your biological and technological telemetry into their data... for their own. Your culture will adapt to server them. Resistance is futile.

Quote Originally Posted by mamlsfery View Post
    You're so tangled , why not use tools to bypass password for your locked Windows ? That way there won't be so many unnecessary things.
    Haha, my colleague succeeded.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gaskery View Post
    Yeah , i did "Roll back to previous version" , but it didn't work out very well, I admit that I know very little about it.
    If i install a clean copy of Windows 7 , i will lose everything on my laptop .I dare not try this option.

- - - Updated - - -
    Maybe your problem has been solved already, I carefully read the previous suggestion on the post, just like this one they all help you, It's time to end it.https://www.passmoz.com/reset-windows-7-password.html
    Last edited by Opasmer; 2018-05-17 at 02:40 AM.

News from 17/05/2018 Windows 10: Spring Creators Update 1803 crashes with many SSD's and enters a BOOT LOOP

Your up-to-date Windows10 is ready for format and reinstall.

This Windows10 "Feature-Updates" model is fucked up. You don't get tested security updates, you get untested Feature-Updates tested mostly for new Hardware and your old running system will at one points just crash.
    Last edited by Ange; 2018-05-17 at 08:44 PM.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Ange View Post
    News from 17/05/2018 Windows 10: Spring Creators Update 1803 crashes with many SSD's and enters a BOOT LOOP

Think only issue I'm having with 1803 is Windows Defender crashing when I try and click the advanced scan button. Apparently it's a known bug.

Just got an SSD and having zero issues with it personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Just got an SSD and having zero issues with it personally.
    They didn't even test the patch with their own hardware - surface models are affected too.
    https://www.computerworld.com/articl...-know-why.html

You were just lucky.
    -

They didn't even test the patch with their own hardware - surface models are affected too.

You were just lucky.
    Guess so. Do have a a few minor issues with this build but well they seem to be noted ones. Like that Defender one I mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Guess so. Do have a a few minor issues with this build but well they seem to be noted ones. Like that Defender one I mentioned.
    it only happens with a select few SSD's from 2 brands afaik and they stopped the patches for thse systems until they fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by Twoddle View Post
    Objectively if it is happening when people don't want it then that is harm, it is not up to you to question why.
    There are simple ways to turn off telemetry and even updates will not turn it back on. Anyone whining about telemetry and using that as an excuse to not use W10 are not savvy enough to be using a computer to begin with.

10+ Year Old Account

You're holding it wrong. Works for Apple.

I swear I posted this very problem a page ago. Windows 10 users are beta testers and obviously Microsoft is using telemetry data collecting to help alleviate this. Of course that won't stop updates that break PCs. Can't collect data when people are reinstalling Windows.

I swear everything I predict that will happen, actually happens within a week. Not that this is the first time Windows upgrade broke something.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    There are simple ways to turn off telemetry and even updates will not turn it back on. Anyone whining about telemetry and using that as an excuse to not use W10 are not savvy enough to be using a computer to begin with.
    I use Windows 10 and Linux, but mostly Linux as my Windows 10 machine is mostly for gaming. I'm telling you to use Windows 10 over Windows 7, but also use Linux over Windows in general. Am I not tech savvy enough for you? I can do better, my Linux machine is currently running Windows 10 within VMWare running updates. Cause of course it would run an update. My Linux HTPC is also water cooled and runs 24/7 for years, while also having FTP, EMBY, TVHeadEnd, and even a MineCraft sever. Better yet, I put carputers in all my cars to access my HTPC Linux machine. Get the idea?

I'm paranoid cause I don't trust Microsoft. This is not a tech savvy thing as much as it's a trust thing, as in I don't trust Microsoft to do things anymore. Look at Edge and why people don't trust it anymore. It's actually a good web browser but nobody uses it. It literally comes with Windows 10 but nobody uses it. Everyone would rather use Chrome or Firefox. Why you think that is? I don't trust Google but Chrome is mostly open source so if there was any terrible fuckery going on I could just switch to Chromium.

BTW Windows 10 in VMware is now 12% done, after 1 hour of running. How you people stand this shit? At least I can type this in Linux while that shit runs.
    Last edited by Vash The Stampede; 2018-05-18 at 01:24 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    BTW Windows 10 in VMware is now 12% done, after 1 hour of running. How you people stand this shit? At least I can type this in Linux while that shit runs.
    12% of what? I can't think of anything I do with Win10 on a newer system that would take an hour, let alone several. Sure, upgrades on old machines may take a few hours, especially with slow internet... But beyond that? Sounds like a problem.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    12% of what?
    Installing updates.
    I can't think of anything I do with Win10 on a newer system that would take an hour, let alone several. Sure, upgrades on old machines may take a few hours, especially with slow internet... But beyond that? Sounds like a problem.
    Literally every machine I've put Windows 10 on will run some updates for two hours or more. Recently put together a Ryzen 2200G with a SSD for my nephew and that still took a couple of hours per update. That's with me accidentally installing 16GB of DDR4 memory. I ordered 8GB of DDR4 memory I only got a single stick, so I had to order another stick for dual channel memory. These memory prices are murder. Anyway, cause it was a fresh install I had to do the update a few times, and I needed the most recent update otherwise the Ryzen 2200G's graphics driver won't work.

My HTPC isn't admittedly fast as it runs a AMD A10 5800K overclocked to 4.2Ghz. Two cores for the Linux host and two for the VM Windows 10. Once I have my Ryzen 1700 up and running then my old FX 8350 will be taking the place of the 5800K. But I've ran Windows 10 updates on many machines and the big updates can take nearly 2 hours. Of course I had no choice cause shutdown or restart both have apply updates, which is why the updates are installing.

Am I seriously the only one who experiences this? Is it because I delay updates for as long as possible?

10+ Year Old Account
    Am I seriously the only one who experiences this? Is it because I delay updates for as long as possible?
    I wouldn't say you're the 'only one' but what you're describing is definitely not normal. Delaying definitely will make it worse, in a number of ways.

The entire purpose of the update system is so that it doesn't take long, and doesn't cause issues. Even with our customers with janky, old, or malware ridden systems have no issues with updates once they get cleaned up. The only ones that take forever are those that try to prevent or break the system in the name of 'control'... And it ends up costing the hundreds of dollars and hours of wasted time basically remedying that.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    I do use Windows 10 and of course there are ways if you trust the programs that do it, I posted a link earlier. You can't within the OS's settings though.

Quote Originally Posted by Twoddle View Post
    I do use Windows 10 and of course there are ways if you trust the programs that do it, I posted a link earlier. You can't within the OS's settings though.
    Well of course you can't do it in windows settings. Everyone would simply turn that shit off.

10+ Year Old Account
    Vulkan has had greater success in increasing gaming performance compared to DX12, and Valve is a huge supporter of it. So nah, I don't see anyone except Microsoft exclusively using DX12 in games. Windows 7's death will come from neglect not features only found in Windows 10. Over time new hardware like the Ryzen 2200G/2400G won't work on anything less than Windows 10. By 2020, Microsoft themselves will end their support for it and I really doubt that Microsoft will extend it like they did with Windows XP. At that point you had better be on Windows 10, which is less than two years away.

You will be assimilated. Microsoft will add your biological and technological telemetry into their data... for their own. Your culture will adapt to server them. Resistance is futile.
    About time this Vulcan hogwash dies, Vulcan is a glued together PoS that is not officially supported by either OS platform. In Windows you have officially supported and much better defined, documented and supported DX12. For Macs - it's Metal and implementation of Vulcan there is a bunch of unofficial 3rd party bullshit that basically is not really Vulcan but abstraction of Metal, that can be nuked down by Apple anytime.

And Linux is Linux with its nightmarish free for all, build your OS plague - the word "official" is antithesis of what Linux stands for to begin with.

This is the reason why Vulcan is not seeing any serious adoption aside from some indie devs who want to earn brownie points with fans - "we made it with Vulcan!" - "waaaw!" exclaims a horde of clueless gamers or some odd studio for the same reason.

It has nothing to do with Evil Microsoft world domination and assimilation blah blah hogwash (if you want to look for imaginary evil - look no further than your browser search prompt). DX12 is used because it's both good and official and will be supported for many years guaranteed by 1st party, unlike Vulcan that nobody bloody knows what will happen with in several more years and which "multi-platform" legend is a huge huge stretch, seeing it is achieved in a similar way to Java, which is pretty shit, actually.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    About time this Vulcan hogwash dies, Vulcan is a glued together PoS that is not officially supported by either OS platform. In Windows you have officially supported and much better defined, documented and supported DX12. For Macs - it's Metal and implementation of Vulcan there is a bunch of unofficial 3rd party bullshit that basically is not really Vulcan but abstraction of Metal, that can be nuked down by Apple anytime.
    Why would Apple and Microsoft support Vulkan? I don't think the drivers off Windows update has OpenGL, let alone Vulkan support. Though I haven't tried to use drivers from Windows update in a long time.

Also, everyone supports Vulkan. Valve pumps code into it all the time, and I think Nvidia even put code to support Ray-Tracing. See, it just got updated.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...New-Extensions

This is the reason why Vulcan is not seeing any serious adoption aside from some indie devs who want to earn brownie points with fans - "we made it with Vulcan!" - "waaaw!" exclaims a horde of clueless gamers or some odd studio for the same reason.
    You know, I never payed attention to what games used Vulkan and DX12. Though most of my use of modern API's comes to emulators like RPCS3 and Dolphin. Doom 2016 is a game that I ran Vulkan, and Deus EX I played in DX12.

But I get more excited about projects like DXVK and VKD3D over anything DX12. But then again I do run Linux.

10+ Year Old Account
    Doom 2016.
    That title is literally a fig leaf of Vulcan.

Why would Apple and Microsoft support Vulkan? I don't think the drivers off Windows update has OpenGL, let alone Vulkan support. Though I haven't tried to use drivers from Windows update in a long time.

Also, everyone supports Vulkan. Valve pumps code into it all the time, and I think Nvidia even put code to support Ray-Tracing.
    "Everyone supports Vulkan"... you know except for two fucking huge companies that cumulatively are responsible for OS on 96% of desktop PCs and 99.5% of the desktop PCs in Steam Survey.

It does not matter what Nvidia, Steam or whatever else trickle down there with token support. Nvidia and AMD both "support" it, just because it's hip to support and they don't want bad PR for "not supporting" such apparently amazing API.

Steam support in particularly a stillborn thing - they wanted it for Steam Machines - that's why they are such a big supporter, but their whole SteamOS and Steam Machines are pretty much dead on arrival thing that never stuck.

I'll tell you outright, it does not matter who supports what, as long as it's unofficial and not supported by OS vendors themselves - it's niche at best (which in case of Vulcan is an overstatement really). There are basically no compelling reasons for any development studio to use it because its only selling point - multi-platform is a misleading claim at best, while the risks of tossing multi-billion project on some super-niche fledgling API made by god knows who and not supported by MS/Apple far outweigh the ephemeral benefits it has over native APIs (and pretty damn good anyway at that) provided by Microsoft and Apple.

That's why Doom is the only game you can think of, that went for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Everyone supports Vulkan"... you know except for two fucking huge companies that cumulatively are responsible for OS on 96% of desktop PCs and 99.5% of the desktop PCs in Steam Survey.
    I mean everyone important in GPU graphics. It took AMD to create Mantle, for Microsoft to create DX12. What could Microsoft and Apple offer for Vulkan?
    It does not matter what Nvidia, Steam or whatever else trickle down there with token support. Nvidia and AMD both "support" it, just because it's hip to support and they don't want bad PR for "not supporting" such apparently amazing API.
    Didn't AMD do most of the work making Vulkan? Nvidia is the one who supports it cause it's hip. Mantle, Vulkan, kinda gives it away.
    Steam support in particularly a stillborn thing - they wanted it for Steam Machines - that's why they are such a big supporter, but their whole SteamOS and Steam Machines are pretty much dead on arrival thing that never stuck.
    I would think Valve supports Vulkan to also take as much power away from Microsoft. Also being abe to donate code I would think makes it easier to get features and optimizations faster than DX12.
    I'll tell you outright, it does not matter who supports what, as long as it's unofficial and not supported by OS vendors themselves - it's niche at best (which in case of Vulcan is an overstatement really). There are basically no compelling reasons for any development studio to use it because its only selling point - multi-platform is a misleading claim at best, while the risks of tossing multi-billion project on some super-niche fledgling API made by god knows who and not supported by MS/Apple far outweigh the ephemeral benefits it has over native APIs (and pretty damn good anyway at that) provided by Microsoft and Apple.

That's why Doom is the only game you can think of, that went for it.
    Rise of the Tomb Raider uses it, on Linux. That and DOTA 2. There aren't many DX12 games to be honest.

You better think again as to who is all working on vulkan https://www.khronos.org/members/list

DX12 is almost as absent as Vulkan btw, game programmer's prefer to work with DX11 as it is much easier for them the only thing that might get DX12 more widespread is if engine developpers implement it so that game developpers can make us of it without too much hassle.