I sure hope the new HE faction's starting point is a lot closer to the DEs. Can't be all the way across the ocean since it's already crowded by 3 other playable factions, but northern part of Ulthuan would be good. I guess DEs will be in Ulthuan as well. The place really didn't see enough action, it always gets dominated by Lothern in like 50 turns when played by AI on higher difficulties, and then trying to race against it sucks majorly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Airlick View Post
    I sure hope the new HE faction's starting point is a lot closer to the DEs. Can't be all the way across the ocean since it's already crowded by 3 other playable factions, but northern part of Ulthuan would be good. I guess DEs will be in Ulthuan as well. The place really didn't see enough action, it always gets dominated by Lothern in like 50 turns when played by AI on higher difficulties, and then trying to race against it sucks majorly.
    It's Har Ganeth and Averlorn, so you do get that more northern start location for HEs. Dark Elves however will all be clumped up in Naggarond

Unless the existing factions are moved for some reason, Avelorn is in northern Ulthuan and Har Ganeth is in northern Naggaroth close to Malekith's capital, so the start positions sadly won't be very different from what is offered right now. Lorewise that is kind of inevitable. Still, at least both of the new Lords get unique mechanics, Alarielle being able to recruit treekin units will be cool, and Lothern's domination will be at least slowed down since Avelorn will probably gobble up a few of the confederations Tyrion would get.

I'm actually more excited for the free Lord which has been confirmed to be Alith Anar. Not only does he have a much better chance of starting close to Naggaroth than Alarielle does, but his lore is really badass. Also hoping that the secret CA is keeping under wraps for the Dark Elves is the Kharybdis.

Deleted
    But HE can finally start together

Coop play is utterly boring in WH2 because the factions (except for DE) start so far apart.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ramjb View Post
    Only 4 new units, what a rip off. Past DLCs for the same price had six (e.g. The King and The Warlord)
    They claim its because its because they focused on campaign mechanics in this lord pack. Each of these LL is supposed to have quest chains and unique campaign mechanics.

Also don't forget that coding wise they had to redo the WH:1 Norsca update.
    While this should not effect the graphics department's ability to make new unit models it would limit their scope to existing armies and mechanics.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Nelavar View Post
    It's Har Ganeth and Averlorn, so you do get that more northern start location for HEs. Dark Elves however will all be clumped up in Naggarond
    Color me slightly disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    Unless the existing factions are moved for some reason, Avelorn is in northern Ulthuan and Har Ganeth is in northern Naggaroth close to Malekith's capital, so the start positions sadly won't be very different from what is offered right now. Lorewise that is kind of inevitable. Still, at least both of the new Lords get unique mechanics, Alarielle being able to recruit treekin units will be cool, and Lothern's domination will be at least slowed down since Avelorn will probably gobble up a few of the confederations Tyrion would get.

I'm actually more excited for the free Lord which has been confirmed to be Alith Anar. Not only does he have a much better chance of starting close to Naggaroth than Alarielle does, but his lore is really badass. Also hoping that the secret CA is keeping under wraps for the Dark Elves is the Kharybdis.
    Hm, I don't know WHFB lore so well, so I did not really know where those lords resided. Avelorn seems like an even worse spot than Lothern, though, since the only non-HE faction they can fight for a pretty long time will naturally be Norsca.

kinda saddened that they did an asymmetric unit distribution.

High Elves get a new hero, Dark Elves get a new Lord.

Would have preferred them adding a new hero to both, and a new lord to both as was the case with the other unit packs they've released.

Other than that, this one is totally getting added to my wishlist, and will eventually get it.

Por que odiar si amar es mas dulce? (*^_^*)

Color me slightly disappointed.

Hm, I don't know WHFB lore so well, so I did not really know where those lords resided. Avelorn seems like an even worse spot than Lothern, though, since the only non-HE faction they can fight for a pretty long time will naturally be Norsca.
    Lorewise High Elves are kind of all about fighting the Dark Elves, in between lesser bouts of hostility with invading Orcs or Chaos. You really can't avoid this unless they put a LL somewhere silly like in the forests of the Empire. Even their war with the Dwarves was a long, long time ago back when both races weren't experiencing the steady decline they do now.

On the other hand, the free update will introduce a Sword of Khaine mechanic. Basically whomever controls the Shrine of Khaine, if DE or HE, can choose to assign the sword to a Lord. It is outrageously overpowered (gives +450 armor piercing damage, 20% ward save, 25 melee attack, and a powerful bound vortex among other things) but the longer you use the sword, the more penalties the faction accrues, starting at -2 public order and -10 relations will all factions, and getting worse from there. It kind of plays fast and loose with the lore since even Malekith, power mad as he was, did not dare to use the sword himself, but it's still really cool and thematic.

I can only imagine how powerful Tyrion can get if you give him this baby on top of his already ridiculous statline in campaign. You can already make him into an army soloing monster, with the Widowmaker you can probably make do with him as your only unit in the entire campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    Lorewise High Elves are kind of all about fighting the Dark Elves, in between lesser bouts of hostility with invading Orcs or Chaos. You really can't avoid this unless they put a LL somewhere silly like in the forests of the Empire. Even their war with the Dwarves was a long, long time ago back when both races weren't experiencing the steady decline they do now.
    Yeah, this I know, it's just right now it's pretty hard to engage even the DEs, aside of Cult of Pleasure early on in the campaign. On my first playthrough as HEs, I didn't even get to touch those, as they got wiped out before I merged with the faction that destroyed them. And then it was just interventions and random armies from across the sea. Lothern was definitely the dullest of all factions. I know lorewise Ulthuan is basically impenetrable, but just putting a faction around the north-western corner of Ulthuan would make it possible to fight them if one wished. So here's hoping for this Athir Anar guy you've put up.

gotta say..... dat sword of khaine mechanic.......

As if the High Elves were not awesome enough as it is. Starting as the Everqueen, confederating with Tyrion, and then handing him the sword of khaine would be GLORIOUS.

Yeah, this I know, it's just right now it's pretty hard to engage even the DEs, aside of Cult of Pleasure early on in the campaign. On my first playthrough as HEs, I didn't even get to touch those, as they got wiped out before I merged with the faction that destroyed them. And then it was just interventions and random armies from across the sea. Lothern was definitely the dullest of all factions. I know lorewise Ulthuan is basically impenetrable, but just putting a faction around the north-western corner of Ulthuan would make it possible to fight them if one wished. So here's hoping for this Athir Anar guy you've put up.
    He's the king of Naggarythe, which is the faction on northwest corner of Ulthuan, a few turn's sailing from Druchii country. It is safe to say he will start there and that his campaign will be geared up for taking the fight to the black ones since his lore is all about hating the piss out of them and being as cruel to the Dark Elves as they themselves are to everyone else. He's basically the most hardcore elf in fiction this side of Malekith himself.

So here's a breakdown of all that's coming all at once on May 31st. Paid and Free.

That's quite a lot of shit O_O I predict another 7gb patch incoming. Perhaps most surprisingly, the Sword of Khaine mechanic is NOT tied to the Queen&Crone DLC. Its gonna be in the game by default, so even people without the DLC can still adquire and make use of the sword.

And just like that, I see another High Elf Vortex Campaign in my future :P

Deleted

Say hi to Bone Giants. ^^

The moment he took aim at that hydra, I knew it was pretty much boned. Then again, this guy looks like he has a bone to pick. That bow must also weight a skele-TON.

Okay the puns got out of hand :P

That said, holy shit this unit looks good.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Derah View Post
    The moment he took aim at that hydra, I knew it was pretty much boned. Then again, this guy looks like he has a bone to pick. That bow must also weight a skele-TON.

Okay the puns got out of hand :P

That said, holy shit this unit looks good.
    Ba dum tss.

I expected it to wield sword/swords (like the good old metal figure I got crammed somewhere in my house) but I don't mind it being ranged. It can rain death together with ranged Ushabti as it pleases.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahuun View Post
    Ba dum tss.

I expected it to wield sword/swords (like the good old metal figure I got crammed somewhere in my house) but I don't mind it being ranged. It can rain death together with ranged Ushabti as it pleases.
    Personally, I'd like it better if he could break the bow apart and dualwield it like two kopesh blades when enemies are up close. The bow is magical in nature and fires projectiles made of energy, so it doesn't really need a bowstring to get in the way.

10+ Year Old Account
    CA confirmed today that they are working on their next campaign pack. Presumably its Araby, but there is no confirmation of that.

- - - Updated - - -

Also this:

Three Kingdoms delayed to early 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    CA confirmed today that they are working on their next campaign pack. Presumably its Araby, but there is no confirmation of that.

Three Kingdoms delayed to early 2019.
    I doubt its Araby, as much as I'd love it if it was. I mean, where would they put them? the southlands are crowded enough as it is, with the tomb kings, vampires, and bretonnian crusaders all crammed together. Even if they removed the crusaders, that'd leave araby with what, 3 regions? less?

I hope I'm wrong of course, I'd love to see CA implementing entirely new factions that have no counterparts on the tabletop (Like they did with Norsca) because it would open the floodgates to a myriad of extra cool factions that have a lot of flavor in the lore, but no representation in the tabletop.

As for TW:3K, they confirmed something even more awesome.

A lot of people were wondering which direction they'd go with this game, if it was based on the larger-than-life romanticized version of Three Kingdoms (Think Dynasty Warriors) where guys like Zhang Fei can carve a bloody swath through hundreds of infantry like a knife through butter, or if it would be a more realistic historical title like Medieval and Rome, where your agents and generals are still at the end of the day, just men, with all the limitations of normal men.

So which way were they going? Fantasy and over-the-top flair like the novel? or realism like the real life historical setting?

Turns out, they're doing BOTH. O_o

Seriously.

By default, this game will be based on the romanticized version of Three Kingdoms, as depicted in the novel, but upon starting a campaign, you'll be given the option to enable a "Classic Mode" which will turn the experience into a more realistic approach, similar to that of Medieval, and Rome 2, where there's no immortal Legendary Lords, and no famed heroes slaughtering hundreds of common infantry like deadpool.

This is so awesome. They're pleasing both the Fantasy fans of Total War, AND the Historical fans of Total War, while making the game longer at the same time. I just know I'll be playing the campaign on both modes several times just to see the differences in experience and how 3K fares with all its fantasy elements stripped out, and the whole thing being made more realistic.

Gotta say it man, HYPED.AS.FUCK for this one. Too bad about the delay to 2019, but as a wise man once said: A delayed game is eventually good. A rushed game is forever bad.

I strongly doubt the Campaign Pack is Araby, since Campaign Packs are confirmed to feature 4 LLs now. They already added a race right next with the Tomb Kings, Araby doesn't even have 4 LLs to choose from, they'd struggle to even have 4 starting positions, and Araby provinces don't have a 10 slot settlement.

It's far more likely to be Southern Realms and/or Dogs of War. They have more than 4 LLs to choose from, some Southern Realms/Dogs of War settlements already have 10 slots, they just added Sartosa and a bunch of unique buildings to it, and to me it just seems to make more sense.