Page 24 of 53 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by OmniSkribe View Post
    Good question is: Will Disney make main character not "normie"? No, they won't for reasons quite obvious.

It's all just huge hypocrisy.
    Even for all their high and mightiness, they're still doing a pretty bad job at pandering.

Every lead is either minority male or white female. Where are the lead minority females, or is that getting ahead of their agendas?

Also, antagonists are exclusively white males in the setting. Does this imply minorities and women can't make good villains? REEEEEEEEEE.

I'm just waiting for the day when the film industry won't cast white males at all, effectively excluding their most prolific figures permanently.

If you think white males are hurting for roles in Hollywood, you're not thinking straight, and are seeing things through shit-colored lenses.

Especially in a movie with like, 3 white male leads.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    If you think white males are hurting for roles in Hollywood, you're not thinking straight, and are seeing things through shit-colored lenses.

Especially in a movie with like, 3 white male leads.
    They are saying thats the hypocrisy. They pander to minorities but still dont have the balls to cast the leads as such. They still wouldn't cast an Indian or muslim girl as the main role instead of daisy ridley a white girl or hux a white male villain

When do we get a robot being a lead, or an alien. Instead we get Daisy ridley leading the numbered series, Alden Ehrenreich for han solo, Felicity Jones for rogue one. All white actors playing humans in the leads.

So much for "universe diversity"
    Last edited by RobertoCarlos; 2018-05-20 at 10:34 PM.

Herald of the Titans The Flavour Cat's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beste Kerel View Post
    Okay,

Then why is the only 'diversity' in this vast galaxy found in the human characters?

Why are all the Wookies and droids male?

Why is every lead a white human female and not Twi'lek?

Why isn't there a movie with a transgender droid in the lead?

I'll always delight in the irony of applying identity and gender politics to fictional universes that have sentient beings besides humans, and then fail to show diversity in said non-human groups.
    They're so full of shit.

Edit: he forgot lesbian, bi and trans,
    noob.
    That annoys me too, that in such a big universe the only non-human characters are relegated to side roles or comic relief. It'd be nice to see an alien in a main role; just make it a humanoid at first to ease people into it before going for the weird blob characters later.
    Isn't it ironic how education is important, yet people forget all about it when they visit the internet?

Quote Originally Posted by The Flavour Cat View Post
    That annoys me too, that in such a big universe the only non-human characters are relegated to side roles or comic relief. It'd be nice to see an alien in a main role; just make it a humanoid at first to ease people into it before going for the weird blob characters later.
    An alien/alien or a Star Trek alien (plastic stuff on the head) ?

Because the later is quite difficult for any storytelling. The acting is wooden as it is in SW, imagine with Ackbar as a lead...(The main non-Human of SW, Chewbacca, stills have a pretty limited repertoire...)

Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    An alien/alien or a Star Trek alien (plastic stuff on the head) ?

Because the later is quite difficult for any storytelling. The acting is wooden as it is in SW, imagine with Ackbar as a lead...(The main non-Human of SW, Chewbacca, stills have a pretty limited repertoire...)
    Wall-e/ET disagrees with you

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Wall-e/ET disagrees with you
    Did you notice that Wall-E was not an actor ?

Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    Did you notice that Wall-E was not an actor ?
    Disney proved with infinity war they can make great CGI characters with thanos and ebony maw

Both WALL-E and ET didn't speak any language comprehensible to humans. They were beloved because of their relationship to the things around them - between ET and Eliot and Eliot's family, and between WALL-E and his dead world that it loved. WALL-E also effectively mimicked human behavior with his big sad eyes.

Ackbar, on the other hand, is a character, who you presumably want to take a leading role in the movie. But A) writing an alien character is difficult, because they should be so far removed from humanity to the point that they're utterly...well, alien, which leads to audiences not relating to them and B) they're still played by humans in prosthetics, and it's hard to be emotive with a rigid plastic face.

And if you skimp on making the alien alien, what's the point? Yoda, for example, is an alien - but he's so human like, he might as well be human. There'd be literally no difference to his character if his race was changed to human, and that's the sign of a bad "alien" character. A good alien character, as an example, would be the squid things from Interstellar - but those are not the main characters, and it would be hard to push them to be the main characters and have the audience relate to them.

- - - Updated - - -

edit: You mention Thanos. Again, Thanos (and Gamora, etc) are so human that they really lose the lustre of being alien. They're not good alien characters, they're simply good characters. Thor is technically an alien, and the same thing applies.

I can just about guarantee that this movie is better than the disaster that was episode 8 without even seeing it yet. Episode 8, IMO is the worst Star Wars movie in the franchise. Even Mark Hamill thinks that episode 8 is shit.

Since this is Star Wars I am definitely going to see it, but I have low expectations from the trailers.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The Flavour Cat View Post
    It's a Clone Wars protagonist called Ahsoka Tano, Disney. Maybe give her a lead movie instead of milking a character who's only mostly good because he was portrayed by Harrison Ford.

Actually, don't give her a movie. You'll just ruin her like you have so many things.

Deleted
    Saw it yesterday evening, im happy that i havnt had to pay for it. I still dont see a reason other than money milking to make this film.

Quote Originally Posted by hombi View Post
    Saw it yesterday evening, im happy that i havnt had to pay for it. I still dont see a reason other than money milking to make this film.
    What was Glover like as Lando? hearing mixed opinions

It's a Clone Wars protagonist called Ahsoka Tano, Disney. Maybe give her a lead movie instead of milking a character who's only mostly good because he was portrayed by Harrison Ford.

Actually, don't give her a movie. You'll just ruin her like you have so many things.
    Yeah.

"Give X a movie" only sounds good as long as you don't remember how Disney has been treating the movies. The less established characters they ruin in the movies, the better.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    What was Glover like as Lando? hearing mixed opinions
    Easily the best Actor on screen. I'm not sure if that is because he is outstandingly good or the rest of the actors falls short to inspire.

I was lucky to see the movie tonight in an advanced screening. It was... okay. I liked it more than Last Jedi, but that isn't saying much. It feels... unnecessary, to be honest. I felt it didn't add anything to the character of Han Solo. The Actors performed well, through the board (but I'd say that about all the new Star Wars movies), the effects were stunning, it had the right amount of humour, but... thats about it. There is nothing controversial about the movie, like Last Jedi, there is nothing nostalgic about it, like Force Awakens, and there is nothing original to it.

It's... okay. Which, for me, isn't enough out of a Star Wars movie. It feels like a cashgrab. I had that fear for Rogue One, but was positivly surprised. This time I went in hopeful, and was disapointed.

I'd say see it for yourself. But not necessarily in cinemas. It's completly fine for an evening on the couch.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Yeah.

"Give X a movie" only sounds good as long as you don't remember how Disney has been treating the movies. The less established characters they ruin in the movies, the better.
    There are plenty of interesting solo movies to be had (Ahsoka, Maul, Fett, yes even Kenobi), but for obvious milking reasons Disney picks the least potent character in the least potent setting for said solo flick ever. Han Solo only works because it's A) Harrison Ford and B) he fits in a crew setting. Take the former away and carelessly throw the latter together and you have Solo: a SW milking.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    Easily the best Actor on screen. I'm not sure if that is because he is outstandingly good or the rest of the actors falls short to inspire.
    Well Emilia Clarke is portraying the female lead yet again, that should set the other actors up for success.

Well Emilia Clarke is portraying the female lead yet again, that should set the other actors up for success.

I actually liked her in this one. But that is of course subject to personal taste.

Deleted
    And I wonder what he really thought..

George Lucas visited 'Solo' set.

Associated Press
    May 22, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4A5PxIpH3c

George Lucas joined Ron Howard on the set of "Solo: A Star Wars Story" after Howard took over the directing duties midway through production. (May 22)
    off-topic, lol

Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace Pitch Meeting.

Screen Rant
    May 23, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAvprzqwbo8
    Last edited by mmocced9c7d33d; 2018-05-23 at 06:59 PM.

How bout that Darth Maul cameo eh