Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Is requirements on physical looks acceptable for job recruitment?

Like requiring the applicants skin complexion to be clear and fair, their height to be at least 157 cm, their weight to be proportionate to their height and to be considered attractive to customers?

Is this an acceptable requirement in job recruitment?

Absolutely.

In most cases, you cant have landwhales or any of the sort, representing your company.
    As an employer myself, I will hire whoever I want or fire whoever I want, for any reason I deem necessary.

Deleted
    Well yes of course, in many jobs the appearance matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Senbom View Post
    Like requiring the applicants skin complexion to be clear and fair, their height to be at least 157 cm, their weight to be proportionate to their height and to be considered attractive to customers?

Is this an acceptable requirement in job recruitment?
    No, it’s not okay to have light skin/white as a requirement for a job.
    change can't wait.

Deleted
    If it's a front desk job, it is acceptable.

Just gotta be careful how you reject people as an employer and give general reasons like "you don't fit in the team" or whatever to avoid issues afterwards.

They aren't acceptable, in some countries it's even illegal to have such requirements, HOWEVER, there's many unspoken requirements that are never mentioned in written form anywhere, otherwise you're risking to get sued.

For instance, right now my company is hiring interns and juniors for the summer period, we have limits on how many males we can hire, the rest must be females.

When it comes to your appearance, it really depends on what kind of a job we're talking about, if you're working w/ clients face-to-face, then there's multiple physical/appearance checks you have to pass, which do include height, complexion and so on. Because different clients prefer to work w/ different types of people, they have preferences for nationalities, complexions, weight and height, e.g., some like locals, others like foreigners, others like darker skin, and so on.

I work and sometimes interview people for our tech department, no one really cares about your appearance here, but as, I mentioned, we do have quotas/limits when it comes to sexes.
    Last edited by ls-; 2018-05-21 at 11:34 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Recruiters are going to judge you on it anyway, regardless if openly or not. For example, I don't hire fat people unless they have amazing credentials since I know from past experience that overweight people don't usually have the energy to work as hard. I also don't hire ugly people if they are going to be interacting directly with my clients, since they will be the face of your company (unless, of course, they have amazing credentials to overshadow being ugly).

And, as has been said, in many countries that is illegal. However, it is impossible to enforce litigation against unspoken rules.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by united View Post
    Yes, it is. It depends on the job.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Attractive physical appearance is not a protected class. So yes, although scummy still.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    what job (besides a kkk grandmaster) has a requirement of being white
    change can't wait.

Depends on the job, really.

15+ Year Old Account
    what job (besides a kkk grandmaster) has a requirement of being white
    An actor, for example.
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.

I don't see why not. I mean let us be honest even if it is removed as a requirement it will end up still happening. It has been happening since the beginning of time. Attractive people have an edge in the world. But if we have a real business reason on top of it it is only icing on the cake.

An actor, for example.

damn u right
    change can't wait.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Unless its an acting job or something similar, it should be irrelevant.

For jobs like working in Hooters then i think so yes.

But for desk jobs or where your physical looks aint needed to pry money out of horny peoples wallets and purses then i dont think so.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    Unless its an acting job or something similar, it should be irrelevant.
    As I said. It depends on the job.

What about roles in acting where a black or white character needs to be portrayed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2
    People who don't buy the deluxe edition should be permanently banned. I'm sick of playing with poor people.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    ...and even there, they had no problem casting Samuel L Jackson as Nick Fury
    That's totally their choice. Though I have no idea who Nick Fury is.

- - - Updated - - -

I would love to see the outrage of black people if all the slaves in 12 Years A Slave had been acted by white people.

7+ Year Old Account
    It's one of those emperor's new clothes situations. We all know that companies hire attractive people in customer facing roles but they can't just say that or they open themselves up to legal and more likely internet based PR issues. They will reject the unattractive applicants with generalities such as "We don't think you match the atmosphere we are trying to promote" or something similar that you can't really argue with.