Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Hows the queues to dungeons these days? I remember quitting because I got tired of waiting for a dungeon group Shame that not many mmos offer a scaling system for dungeons. From solo to 5 players usually.

My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!

Depends. For DPS, the 24 person stuff like the Alliance Raid Roulette will be a minute or two. For everything else, you will likely see a wait. Tanks and healers as always will get instant queues but then have a little bit of a wait on the 24 person stuff (at least tanks) due to the limited slots - but even then, it's not too bad.

FFXIV has been steadily growing overall since ARR so yes, it will stick around for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by The Casualty View Post
    Depends. For DPS, the 24 person stuff like the Alliance Raid Roulette will be a minute or two. For everything else, you will likely see a wait. Tanks and healers as always will get instant queues but then have a little bit of a wait on the 24 person stuff (at least tanks) due to the limited slots - but even then, it's not too bad.
    specific timings I usually get as dps: msq roulette is over 30, leveling is 15 to 20, 50/60 is 20+, trial is 10-15, expert 10-15, 70 10-15, individual leveling dungeons are 10-20, this is aether dc, between 10 am and 1 am

Quote Originally Posted by Niroshi View Post
    FFXI is still actively serviced (though not developed for) and that came out before WoW. FFXIV will be around for quite a while yet, even if the team changes hands multiple times.
    There's been some information recently that suggests FFXI may be getting some more story development, which threw me for a loop. It might have been a mistranslation.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    There's been some information recently that suggests FFXI may be getting some more story development, which threw me for a loop. It might have been a mistranslation.
    Maybe because of the mobile release?

Funny how you think it will outlive wow keep the dreaming alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    In other countries like Canada the population has chosen to believe in hope, peace and tolerance. This we can see from the election of the Honourable Justin Trudeau who stood against the politics of hate and divisiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    Maybe because of the mobile release?
    Possibly, I'm just surprised to see they're going to do more story/new content on the PC as a result. The last patch was supposedly the final update and offered a conclusion to the main story. I expected the mobile to be a way of re-releasing the game to let new players go through the whole thing rather than adding new stuff to it.

I'd love it if they could do a single player console release of XI and XIV after they're truly done and ready for shut down, but that's an insanely costly project I can't see any studio undertaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Shibito View Post
    I don't think anyone here is trying to claim it is other than you. What outliving WoW has to even do with the topic is beyond me either.

All the OP asked was will it last for a decent amount of time.

Mostly because I imagine some MMOs in the market are volatile or DoA.

- - - Updated - - -

Possibly, I'm just surprised to see they're going to do more story/new content on the PC as a result. The last patch was supposedly the final update and offered a conclusion to the main story. I expected the mobile to be a way of re-releasing the game to let new players go through the whole thing rather than adding new stuff to it.

I'd love it if they could do a single player console release of XI and XIV after they're truly done and ready for shut down, but that's an insanely costly project I can't see any studio undertaking.
    Not gonna lie. If it came to PS4 or even got a new story I'd reinstall.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2018-05-21 at 01:57 PM.

Let me tell you a little story about a game called EverQuest.... or Ultima Online.

Now I'm seeing an MMO version of that scene from Billy Maddison....

"WoW is the best MMO ever."
    "I disagree. While WoW is a very good MMO, EverQuest is the best MMO ever."
    "EverQuest sucks."
    "Yeah, well y'know what, you suck."
    Last edited by Faroth; 2018-05-21 at 01:59 PM.

Let me tell you a little story about a game called EverQuest.... or Ultima Online.
    Or Runescape for that matter.

But again this has zero relation to the topic.

I don't give a shit whether another game can outlive WoW personally. It's not relevant. All that was asked was will the game last a fair amount of time.

To me as long as I had fun playing the game throughout that time then I'd say money and time well spent.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Or Runescape for that matter.

But again this has zero relation to the topic.

I don't give a shit whether another game can outlive WoW personally. It's not relevant. All that was asked was will the game last a fair amount of time.

To me as long as I had fun playing the game throughout that time then I'd say money and time well spent.
    Yeah, my point is more that EverQuest and Ultima Online are still around 20 years later. FFXIV will definitely be around a long time. FFXI is looking like it'll be running 20 years after its release too.

.......*insert MGS4 Snake aging gif* T-T

Yeah, my point is more that EverQuest and Ultima Online are still around 20 years later. FFXIV will definitely be around a long time. FFXI is looking like it'll be running 20 years after its release too.

.......*insert MGS4 Snake aging gif* T-T
    Oh yeah for sure it'll definitely be around for ages.

FF11 doesn't seem to be going anywhere anytime soon and that has like 3k active subs or something small. Most of them on Asura.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Honestly i feel like the community in ffxiv is kinda hot or cold. You get very elitist people who are WAY too focused on "the meta" then those who are just not even trying and get pissed..

Then those like me who play casually but do try.. Buut then you run into the meta types who seem to demand savage performance in casual content(i have seen people try to say the DF is for raiders and the PF is for the casual side like wtfh)
    To be fair in the JP datacenter they do follow a philosophy where DF is utilized for players with confidence and skill. PF is for practice. Speaking personally - I'd be ok with that. I'm also ok with the current iteration.

The root issue, IMO, is friction; which is the catalyst of toxicity. The games content design formula isn't great with regard to this concept. It very frequently meshes player mentalities in some instances where it shouldn't and doesn't in some instances where it should.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shibito View Post
    funny how you think it will outlive wow keep the dreaming alive
    Well my dad can beat up your dad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    High elf fans are basically flat-earth society of warcraft lore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Alleria Windrunner View Post
    I AM the victim.

While I loved my time in FFXIV the only problem I had was that you had to do the dungeons to proceed the main story line. I know you only have to do it once, but it seemed to kill the pacing for me as a DPS.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because we have a real world case of the same company continuing to not old keep servers on for an mmo already older then wow but release new stuff for it despite it supposedly being done dev wise..

Seems the guys in charge if maintaining it go overboard lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    To be fair in the JP datacenter they do follow a philosophy where DF is utilized for players with confidence and skill. PF is for practice. Speaking personally - I'd be ok with that. I'm also ok with the current iteration.

The root issue, IMO, is friction; which is the catalyst of toxicity. The games content design formula isn't great with regard to this concept. It very frequently meshes player mentalities in some instances where it shouldn't and doesn't in some instances where it should.
    Never knew that..even for story/dungeon stuff?

And i always think kf going premade as for the more hardcore side because you can know what you are getting and organize it better.

As for friction definitely agreed. As i have sajd before i do not have issues with hardcore players or their playstyle(getting too old and worn out to min max everything especially with irl shit) my issue is when it bleeds kver to the casual side and especially random stuff. Not saying don't expect a minimum of effort but also don't expect everyone to be even semi raider mentality or be geared/pulling like crazy. If the tank/healer aren't used to it. More if a middle ground between the two groups would honestly be great i feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    For the most part the "Friction" just always seems to revolve around non-tank players wanting to let the tanks know how to play a tank.

Never had anyone in PF whine about low DPS. Never had anyone in PF whine about healers letting someone die. Never even seen someone complain about healer DPS, or at least not recently. ALWAYS have people telling the tank to pull more or pull less, or pull faster, or pull the stuff over here or over there or face it this way or that.

It's no wonder no one wants to tank, honestly. It gets old.
    It depends on what type of content you do. If you actively pug savage you'll see friction there from people trying to get carried. If you do a lot of DF content, you'll see friction about "you don't pay my sub" playstyles.

Regarding tanking. Because I never half ass it, and I have a good beat on what party levels can handle what, I don't have anyone telling me how to play (move faster/slower, face x instead of y), etc. because I do all of that instinctively.

There's was a decent amount of healer talk back in the day, but in my anecdotal experience healers are considerably better these days at contributing damage than they used to be.

Lots and lots of DPS who can't push a 1 button AOE dps rotation in DF though. Even more people who can only push a GCD once every 10s types too.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    If you do a lot of DF content, you'll see friction about "you don't pay my sub" playstyles.
    As one of the pathetic scrub DF exclusive players, I can't recall a single time I've run into the "you don't pay my sub" claim for poor playing.

By your posts, you seem to experience it constantly. I find that odd.

Final fantasy xi is still going and it's been out longer than wow. I think as long as there is a dedicated group of players, they'll keep servers up.