Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Discussing why SotA is being removed.

I made a video essay on this just because why not. Watch it here if you want.

tl;dw version: Basically they're removing it because it's outdated and wasn't a good BG to ever begin with. Demolishers are bad and weak compared to just zerging gates and fighting the enemy back to drop bombs, turrets are garbage and worthless, the battleground map is bad because gates 3 and 4 (yellow sun and relic chamber) turn into congested fuckfests of blob vs. blob with literally zero real strategy involved and to "Redesign" the map essentially means that'd have to be changed into an entirely new BG.

So there you go. Your thoughts?

Deleted
    It was part of their misguided foray into piling up scripted gimmicks into BGs, which continued with IoC and culminated with the giant abortion that is ashran.

It seems they finally realized that only PvEers like this kind of crap.

Quote Originally Posted by furniture View Post
    Why is it always an us vs them scenario with some people...

No, as a PvE player myself who likes a little PVP - no I did not like this map. Thanks for speaking for everyone though...

I liked the original version of Sota when it first launched where the attackers could ride along as a group to protect the demos. But every iteration after that and Sota lost its luster.

IoC is different in that it hasn't changed much and needed a long overdue update to the map balance.

Ashran simply didn't work because it was too focused on PVE. Wintergrasp worked better because the objective was still PVP oriented.

They removed blacklisting so they pretty much had to get rid of it, otherwise people would be really mad rn.

Quote Originally Posted by torish View Post
    Probably they started an overhaul and arent done yet, and it's returning at some point.
    Nah. It's gone for good. An overhaul would mean literally changing the entire map. Pointless when they could just remove it and add a new map in its place. I'm not saying it couldn't come back as a battleground under the same name or anything, but it'll be entirely different from the current map.

I always liked it for the wrong reason that it reminded me of assault maps in unreal tournament. One team defending while the other rushes forwards. Always gave me a sense of a war being faught instead of a battlefield being faught. Sadly though, the vehicle mechanics are a bit on the weaker side when it comes to pvp since it doesn't allow you to do what you like in pvp, play your class to outplay others. But protecting someting as it pushes forwards and you assault the others and make them do a tactical retreat, regroup and hold the line a bit further down sounds like a fantastic bg to me.

I hope they are reworking it and bringing it back it always has been one of my favorites. Plus I am going to miss running on the edge of the ship and yelling "Hey, they finally added an invisble wall here!" and then watch a noob run off the boat.

I'm glad its being removed easily my least favorite and it was extremely unbalanced in WoD/legion for certain classes.

Was one of my favorite BG's and as a Rogue I would almost always win the games by constantly bringing bombs to gates. But hey, it's Blizzard style isn't it? Remove instead of rework or fixing.

The worst problem with SotA, was the design, the basic design, that meant if you defended, and did well the game actually lasted 30 minutes, if you attacked and did well the game lasted less then 10. Non symmetrical goal pvp games are just bad generally. And defending and attacking is randomly chosen, thats just awful design. Plus the idea that you after you leveled, learnt all the classes attacks and weakness to play pvp well, you would want to pvp with a giant cart that ignored all these things, was a good one, was mistaken too.

i constantly pvp and i loved this bg on both factions. Iotc is the only one I think that should have been removed. It favored the alliance winning.

Because its the worst BG ever made.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaderson View Post
    Because its the worst BG ever made.
    That'd be IoC followed by Deepwind Gorge.

Quote Originally Posted by furniture View Post
    It was part of their misguided foray into piling up scripted gimmicks into BGs, which continued with IoC and culminated with the giant abortion that is ashran.

I don't think PvEers like it. But I do think that it's the type of thing that could only be designed by a pveer. Someone who essentially wants battlegrounds to more closely resemble a scripted encounter rather than a sandbox deathmatch.

Deleted
    All vehicle combat in pvp should be removed imo. So yes, remove IoC too please.

They better let us keep achievements as FoS (perhaps just the meta for SotA).

10+ Year Old Account
    When I heard it was going to be removed, I started running it to go from 27 wins to 100. Three weeks later, I am still at 27 wins.
    Screw that BG, screw PvP, good riddance.

Deleted
    I liked it and played it, before the latest incarnation that broke it that is. My guess is noone plays it? Makes no sense to take stuff out of the game, unless there 's a technical reason for it..

Quote Originally Posted by Reyuna View Post
    They better let us keep achievements as FoS (perhaps just the meta for SotA).
    They're going to become Feats of Strength, yeah.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Oltimer View Post
    I liked it and played it, before the latest incarnation that broke it that is. My guess is noone plays it? Makes no sense to take stuff out of the game, unless there 's a technical reason for it..
    It's the most blocked battleground in the game by far, so yeah, no one plays it. There's also a giant host of technical reasons for its removal, primarily being that changing it in any significant way to fix what's wrong with the battleground would essentially be like changing it into an entirely new BG completely.

The absolute #1 reason SotA sucks is because it simply takes too long. It wouldn't be so bad if you started with first row of gates down, no boat, demolishers spawning in workshops, and 5 minute rounds. It would still be badly designed, but it would at least be bearable.

On the other hand -- vehicle combat, too many players, too many choke points and often unfair-feeling attacker vs defender balance are issues that, at this point, it would be easier to build a whole new BG around than try to salvage SotA.

It's something Seething Shore got very right. It's quick. It's snappy. It's tactical. It encourages map awareness and punishes zerging. And it has no gimmicks other than 'PUBG' airdrop. Which is also fine, because its fun and contributes to the overall goal of 'be at the nodes'. Much more so than waiting on a dumb boat or spinning bombs.
    Last edited by Saberstrike; 2018-05-21 at 11:55 PM.