Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Do you think Overwatch is starting to run out of steam?

So it might sound odd but i saw a piece of Overwatch fan art in my twitter feed today and it made me realise something. This time a year ago that was something i would see every other hour. Now its maybe once a fortnight at best. It made me think how i don't really hear people talk about the game much anymore. Sure Mercy's cancer research skin caused a blip of interest for a couple of days but then back to as talked about nowadays as TF2.

I mean don't get me wrong its not a bad game and i dont think its taken a sudden quality drop or something but it feels like right when it became the latest game to try and sate Blizzards thirst for esports bux the mainstream kind of fell out of love with the game and moved on. We had the second pve event and i know a grand total of one other person who tried it and i didn't see a soul talking about it on any social media or website i visit. The attempts to push it as another brood war tier lightning in a bottle seem to be on the decline already and for a lot of commenters on articles i see a recurring sentiment of "the story never got past winston making a call, two years of backstory has gotten old" and people are realising its not the lore rich progressing story they expected.

Some of this of course is anecdotal and could just be happenstance on my part. Its just odd to suddenly notice something i could not escape hearing about or seeing fanart or cosplay of just a year ago is now as common a sight as team fortress 2 fanart is now.

Do you think it actually ran out of steam with its mainstream appeal? did things like fortnite snag up all the streamers and folks looking for a drop in-drop out game that is more open than a map based shooter? or did people just get a perception that a waning attempt at being the next esports darling was resources that could have been spent on story content thats never coming and leave over no interest in esports to begin with?

Or is the above all complete bunk and its doing fine its just not talked about as often?

Whats your take on the state of the game now its second anniversary has passed?
    Last edited by dope_danny; 2018-05-22 at 07:40 AM.

The lack of any new classically handsome male characters being added since the game's launch killed it for me. I don't care about competitive play - I just liked collecting neat looking costumes. It's hard to do that when the only good looking men are among the base roster.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's doing fine generally, I mean for me the current situation with Brigitte and Hanzo have spoiled things but I think they'll sort those out over the coming weeks. I'm not going to be playing comp, and maybe I'll spend more time on other things until then but I don't think there's much risk of the game fading.

Deleted
    Blizzard keeps adding mechanically low skill heroes. Not fun. Only new high skill heroes we've received are Ana and Doomfist. I want to shoot things, and not hold left click without fear and watch things die.

10+ Year Old Account
    Waiting for them to add a Battle Royale mode...

It’s a team based game in a sea of grumpy players, trolls and rage’er, no wonder it is getting talked about less and less.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    The lack of any new classically handsome male characters being added since the game's launch killed it for me. I don't care about competitive play - I just liked collecting neat looking costumes. It's hard to do that when the only good looking men are among the base roster.
    Don't pretend like doomfist doesn't look fly as hell.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilyaki View Post
    It’s a team based game in a sea of grumpy players, trolls and rage’er, no wonder it is getting talked about less and less.
    This is the reason most blizzard pvp games die in my opinion nobody wants to 20-30 minutes games where one troll can fuck up everyones fun
    Violence Jack Respects Women!

In truth I only really play during events now and generally even then I only play through the weekly brawls for a couple boxes. The updates are pretty slow and infrequent. New fresh interesting game modes are extremely rare as are new heroes. In truth the competitive/ESports need to thoroughly test everything and try to achieve perfect balance of the get go sort of stifles it's progress. The event brawls achieve at keeping things exciting at the very least, which is why I play. All my friends that I played with in standard or competitive have all since left the game almost a year ago now, so theres that.

The game is awesome. We get a new map and skins today. We've had two story events and there is a lot more planned.
    "Plato is dear to me, but dearer still is truth." - Aristotle

Queues seem to be a lot longer on average, wasn't used to noticing them before and would leave queue to open lootboxes so I didn't miss anything if the game joined, these days its not a worry and I can alt-tab during the queue.

I don't know if thats fewer players or a more refined matchmaker. Feels like fewer people on my friends list on at a time too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Queues seem to be a lot longer on average, wasn't used to noticing them before and would leave queue to open lootboxes so I didn't miss anything if the game joined, these days its not a worry and I can alt-tab during the queue.

I don't know if thats fewer players or a more refined matchmaker. Feels like fewer people on my friends list on at a time too.
    It's definitely not a more refined matchmaker. Queues do seem much longer though.

Fortnite effect, thats all. Playerbase is similar. Cartoonish looks, fast games, skins skins skins... They have to add something interesting... to pull all that players back in. And they lack the skin producing tempo of Fortnite.

My friends and in-game friended people still play the game, and among other subjects there's always some OW-related content in my phone feed for my everyday morning browse. Queue time may vary a little depending on the time of day and between my main and new-ish alt account (main gets games noticeably faster), but that's always been the case and not like it takes long. So personally I haven't noticed anything worrisome.

Can't wait for the event to start!

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    I haven't played it in over a year, but I think it's a great setting. Honestly I'd probably still play it if there was a Single Player Campaign/Story mode.

No single player campaign and no story modes killed it for me on day one. I despise team based shooters with those idiotic capture the flag style objectives, which is a shame because they added a ton of story elements to it via those videos and gave us an insipid squad based shooter.
    Last edited by Ozzyorcborne; 2018-05-22 at 02:50 PM.

Deleted
    I've certainly noticed the drop in Overwatch hentai in my Pixiv and Twitter feeds.

Shit the people who complain about quitting come running back like whores to street corners as soon as a new hero hits the ptr. Don’t listen to the quitter chatter, people quit playing games for many reasons including personal burn out but there is a reason you only hear fromconpkainers. Happy people don’t spend their time on the internet complaining, they are playing. It’s a fact that angry people are more likely to vote in elections and happy people don’t because things don’t need changing because they are fine, which is why political parties invest so much effort and capitol in angering their base. They want the base to get angry enough to vote.

Not everyone is quitting and not everyone is angry, but only the angry quitters go on the internet to tell everyone about it.
    If you push a button that finds you a 'random group' and it gives you a random group of people with random skill and random knowledge then you have no right to complain that a 'random group' button did what it was designed to do. The fault lies in your inability to make friends to play with instead of relying on a button designed to be random. It is a 'random group' button, not a 'best of the best' button.

it needs full time PVE events to keep me around.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

10+ Year Old Account
    The game has the best gameplay/controls I have ever tested. It runs so smoothly and perfect it quickly became my favorite game ever. As a PvPer, I don't care about the lack of PvE modes etc either.

The OWL has been quite the success and they managed to turn it into a fun e-sport to watch, on pair with my favorite e-sport game CS:GO (though I don't like to play it that much).

And we constantly see updates ingame, the developers are not slacking.

I am shocked it's not bigger on twitch, as I truly hate Fortnite and most other games on the top. I want to understand the fun of those Battle royale games, but I can't. I played PUBG but got bored after less than 20 hours game time. We also have the mobas, a genre I like (OW is kind of a fps-moba, kind of) but the games themselves, LoL and dota2 are so inferior to OW.
    • Diablo Immortal is the most misunderstood and underrated game of all time!
    • Blizzard, please, give us some end-game focused Classic servers, where you start at max level!
    • Serious Completionist: 100% OW Achievements, 100% D3 Achievements, 90% Immortal Achievements, 99% ATT Classic, ~90% ATT Retail