Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Putting people in prison doesn't constitute doing something.
    How is that not doing something?

No casualties? Sounds like gang hype, firing guns in the air while the scrapers donut. In which case, this happens almost every day in probably at least a dozen cities across the US.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    How is that not doing something?
    I suppose generating an indentured workforce to service for-profit prisons does constitute "doing something" in the strictest sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    There's interesting screeching I've heard about doing something about the poverty point out of the 5, from right wing. Just as one example out of them. Can you guess what kind of screeching it has been on raising minimum wage, and any other social programs that may help with poverty?

I believe I've made my point without having to repeat all the decades of screeching.
    Well, as I said, we do some of it, but not the same extend. I mean, sure it is the right wing wet dream to get rid of all of that, but it is simply way too unrealistic and the backlash of even attempting would make us unelectable for years.

I'm not sure why the media isn't reporting on this. Is this fake news?

Deleted
    I suppose generating an indentured workforce to service for-profit prisons does constitute "doing something" in the strictest sense.
    What else would you propose one does with criminals? Letting them roam around isn't exactly in societies best interest either.

10+ Year Old Account
    What else would you propose one does with criminals? Letting them roam around isn't exactly in societies best interest either.
    Rehabilitation, maybe?

Something other than creating a slave workforce.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Well, as I said, we do some of it, but not the same extend. I mean, sure it is the right wing wet dream to get rid of all of that, but it is simply way too unrealistic and the backlash of even attempting would make us unelectable for years.
    Wet dream to get rid of what?

https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...isabled-People

Oh the poor people and other untermensch by means of mass murder?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    Why the fuck did that get turned into a gun controll issue?
    Because occasionally, using the ENTIRE PLANET AS A REFERENCE, a gun crime occurs in a country with gun control, therefore gun control doesn't work.

Validated.

Quote Originally Posted by Vapo View Post
    So 3 cars of attackers with full auto assault-rifles and no one died?`how shit can you be at shooting?
    We are just lucky they have never played counter strike or call of duty etc.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Deleted
    Wet dream to get rid of what?

https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...isabled-People

Oh the poor people and other untermensch by means of mass murder?
    Oh come on, that was one guy. Heck read that thread because I was suspicious of them not even distancing from the supposed hacked comments that were made.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Advocatus Diaboli View Post
    It's really really not. America is way way way to far down the road to think banning guns will do anything to stop those who want to shoot people from doing it. You ha e not only the issue of there already being more guns than citizens in the country alot of which will be hidden or dumped into the black market but they also have a boarder with a country rife with cartels. America can't even stop people and drugs getting in, they have fuck all chance of stopping a gun ring forming.

And that what I mean by the left hasn't got a fucking clue and only sees and wants to treat symptoms of problems not tackle the actual issues in society.

Mental health
    Stagnant class mobility
    Societal nihilism
    1% globalism
    Rampant poverty

Fix those... Ffs
    Just looking at the USA, and the 2016 Democratic platform for "left" solutions to those very issues;

For "mental health", try the subsection "Treating Mental Health".

For "stagnant class mobility" and "rampant poverty", try the major section titled "Raise Incomes and Restore Economic Security for the Middle Class", for starters. There's other subsections that further expand beyond that.

For "societal nihilism", which is a bit flimsy and generic, see the major sections titled "Ensure the Health and Safety of All Americans", and "Protect our Values", though really, you can make cases for most of the platform addressing this in some way.

For "1% globalism", see "International Labor". While it's globalist, any reasonable economic foreign policy has to be, and the focus for the Democrats was on improving conditions for workers in the USA and overseas, not the profit margins of the 1%.

So you've got two problems, really.

The first is that you don't realize that left-wingers are actively working on all these already.

And the second is that you apparently don't think one can walk and chew bubblegum at the same time. You don't have to pick one issue. You can address all of them. We don't have to set gun control aside to deal with other problems first, we can deal with them all at the same time.

And before anyone says it, AD made this America-centric in his post, hence my response on that basis. This principle remains true in other nations, too, however.

Deleted
    Rehabilitation, maybe?

Something other than creating a slave workforce.
    You still have to do that in an environment where said process does not pose a harm, if any relabs were to happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Whats the info we have so far?

10+ Year Old Account
    You still have to do that in an environment where said process does not pose a harm, if any relabs were to happen.
    I don't expect 100% perfection from a system before considering it a net positive, unlike the right.

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    I'm not sure why the media isn't reporting on this. Is this fake news?
    Because no one died and they didnt fire AT anyone, they drove by the city center firing shots into the air as a scare tactic. The person that got hit wasnt even slightly injured.

Oh come on, that was one guy. Heck read that thread because I was suspicious of them not even distancing from the supposed hacked comments that were made.
    Yes the one guy defense. It's always just one guy isn't it? No matter if it's actually number 34826 with similar rhetoric to others.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Deleted
    I don't expect 100% perfection from a system before considering it a net positive, unlike the right.
    So we can agree that imprisonment still have to exist, but rehabilitation could probably be better?

10+ Year Old Account
    So we can agree that imprisonment still have to exist, but rehabilitation could probably be better?
    I don't agree that imprisonment constitutes a remotely good solution to any of the aforementioned issues.

So the point still stands; the right has no solutions apart from what they know, which is discriminating and punishing.

Deleted
    Yes the one guy defense. It's always just one guy isn't it? No matter if it's actually number 34826 with similar rhetoric to others.
    I mean, if we're going to go down that path, I can probably find leftists that have called for the death of rich people and such things, but I don't think that's a particularly constructive conversation to have.

Now I will absolutely admit, that we do indeed harbour such people within our political sphere; and it is something that should never be acceptable to hold such absolutely abhorrent opinions. But, it shouldn't be used as a notion of a systematic problem that influences our political motives in all regards.

If only they had tighter gun laws in France. This wouldn't have happened.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano