Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Rest In Peace Runescape Classic. 2001-2018

http://services.runescape.com/m=news...m_content=osrs

RuneScape Classic: Farewell
    RuneScape Classic was the first version of RuneScape, released in 2001.

For many years we've left all of the content from the original game available to play. Whilst it's seemingly been happily plodding along since then, it is with great sadness that we have taken the difficult decision to say goodbye to RuneScape Classic, which we will be winding down over the next 3 months.
    It has been amazing to see such dedication amongst those of you who have kept playing RuneScape Classic over the last few years, some of you have even managed to reach max total! However, it's not all fun and games.
    With advancements in technology helping to further support both RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, our tools are no longer compatible with Classic. This is particularly a problem with our community safety and macro detection tools. The game is now easily abused with the use of 3rd party macro tools, and botting has become an increasing issue.
    We've not fully supported RuneScape Classic for years, so why are we suddenly seeing it as a problem now? The truth is that bots and lack of community safety tools are serious problems, however, we also feel that we can no longer offer long term service reliability due to the growing risk of unrecoverable game breaking bugs.
    The number of bugs is getting worse, and we're gradually seeing the game breaking. It's important to highlight these are bugs which we won't fix, most of them we can't fix due to the unsupported nature of the game.
    As such, rather than have the game break indefinitely without any warning, we wanted to give everyone the opportunity to have their last goodbyes.

The RuneScape Classic servers will be taken offline on the 6th of August 2018. After such date, it will no longer be possible to log in to the game. You will still be able to make full use out of any outstanding membership time you have up until that date, and any remaining membership will remain valid for both RuneScape and Old School RuneScape.
    Thank you for your support over the years.
    The Direct link is broke, so just click the top news story in the link I provided if u want.

Edit: Link is fixed now.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2018-05-23 at 12:20 PM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

That's a shame...
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Blizzard ought to be taking notes.

in before petition.org flooded with people asking for runescape classic classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    Yeah, smart business decision to lose millions of dollars for no reason

To be fair I imagine updating that version is a pain in the ass for them or the tools needed were no longer supported.

Never really played it but I do remember seeing a lot of videos on it.

But sadly that's the way it goes for older MMOs as of late.

- - - Updated - - -

On what?

Keeping a model that is not profitable supported for years after it's out of date because like 200 people are still playing it?

Yes I'm sure Blizzard will want to "take notes" on that kind of model.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    To be fair I imagine updating that version is a pain in the ass for them or the tools needed were no longer supported.

Never really played it but I do remember seeing a lot of videos on it.

But sadly that's the way it goes for older MMOs as of late.
    Yep they said that in the story, The game was just falling apart and got to the point its better to just shut it down.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    On what?

Keeping a model that is not profitable supported for years after it's out of date because like 200 people are still playing it?

Yes I'm sure Blizzard will want to "take notes" on that kind of model.
    Quote Originally Posted by xcitng View Post
    Yeah, smart business decision to lose millions of dollars for no reason
    I mean on making sure that WoW classic doesn't meet the same fate. They need to keep the tools updated so that the game doesn't break like Runescape was liable to do.

I mean on making sure that WoW classic doesn't meet the same fate. They need to keep the tools updated so that the game doesn't break like Runescape was liable to do.
    Seeing how WoW Classic is going to release under current tools that won't be a issue.

Jesus fucking christ Jagex lol. More disgusting incompetence on their part. Unable to keep maintaining fucking Runescape Classic of all things? Jesus Christ.

One of their biggest reasons for doing this is because they can't detect botters on the Runescape Classic client. Because you know, that realllllllyyy fucking matters, right? A shitty old game 30 unique people play and we gotta shut it down because some people run cow killing bots or something. What a joke of a company. They make me cum.

Quote Originally Posted by therealstegblob View Post
    Jesus fucking christ Jagex lol. More disgusting incompetence on their part. Unable to keep maintaining fucking Runescape Classic of all things? Jesus Christ.

One of their biggest reasons for doing this is because they can't detect botters on the Runescape Classic client. Because you know, that realllllllyyy fucking matters, right? A shitty old game 30 unique people play and we gotta shut it down because some people run cow killing bots or something. What a joke of a company. They make me cum.
    You would know it had more to do with the game breaking bugs then the botting if you cared to even read the story.

They make me cum.
    byotiful.

but yeah, i don't really buy the excuse that they can't fix the bugs. i played runescape like once, for all of like 2 minutes and was like "fuck this shit, this sucks" but it's stupid that they're gonna shut this down with such dumb reasoning.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    byotiful.

but yeah, i don't really buy the excuse that they can't fix the bugs. i played runescape like once, for all of like 2 minutes and was like "fuck this shit, this sucks" but it's stupid that they're gonna shut this down with such dumb reasoning.
    Because no game has ever shut down a less used version to focus more on supporting the better versions right?

Oh wait.

FF11 canned the console versions. FF14 canned the PS3 version and that probably had about 100-200 players. It's common for devs to can a version of the game they feel they can no longer support if it's a limitation or older client if they feel the costs outweight the support. In this case Jagex feel that the original Classic RS is too costly and too ancient to try and keep supporting.

Read the article. It's not just bugfixing. And yes devs still try to keep Classic clients as bug free and fix them as much as possible. You really think Blizzard for example will just dump the 2004 client at us for Classic and say "here you go"?

With how limited the resources are for that version of the game it's amazing it was kept up for so long after OSRS launched. They aren't going to spend the money on pleasing 200-300 people when it could be better spent on other resources.

Just for comparison there are 61k online right now on RS3 and 41k on OSRS.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2018-05-23 at 01:12 PM.

Because no game has ever shut down a less used version to focus more on supporting the better versions right?

Oh wait.

FF11 canned the console versions. FF14 canned the PS3 version and that probably had about 100-200 players. It's common for devs to can a version of the game they feel they can no longer support if it's a limitation or older client if they feel the costs outweight the support. In this case Jagex feel that the original Classic RS is too costly and too ancient to try and keep supporting.

Read the article. It's not just bugfixing. And yes devs still try to keep Classic clients as bug free and fix them as much as possible. You really think Blizzard for example will just dump the 2004 client at us for Classic and say "here you go"?

With how limited the resources are for that version of the game it's amazing it was kept up for so long after OSRS launched. They aren't going to spend the money on pleasing 200-300 people when it could be better spent on other resources.

Just for comparison there are 61k online right now on RS3 and 41k on OSRS.
    On top of all of this Classic RS hasn't actually been supported outside of bug fix's for like 10 years. The fact they left the servers online for such a small amount of people for so long is impressive.

Yeah, I don't think people realize WoW Classic won't be nearly 100% Classic. Probably more like 80% or so. Similar to how EQ1 Progression servers have never maintained the original XP curve and all items have the focus effects that were patched in many years later. (And any combat changes which between that and focus effects result in far higher DPS than originally possible) While they've designed in a surprisingly effective way of managing items and zones on a per-expansion basis, not all of it can be "turned back" anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    You would know it had more to do with the game breaking bugs then the botting if you cared to even read the story.
    I did read the story. Where are these "Game breaking bugs"? It mentions nothing about that. Are you full of shit again, Jtbrig7390? For shame.

I did read the story. Where are these "Game breaking bugs"? It mentions nothing about that. Are you full of shit again, Jtbrig7390? For shame.
    Its clear what your doing welcome to ignore.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Its clear what your doing welcome to ignore.
    Oh no. What will I do now.

Aw man, I loved the shitty 2D characters/art version. That was my first mmo.

Deleted
    RIP, haven't played RS in a decade but still sad to see classic go.